Hybrid or Gasoline

JAS21

Ive been looking at both the Camry and the Accord. I driven the Camry Hybrid and will drive the Accord Hybrid this coming week. Im not convinced that the Hybrid option is the way to go.

I read good and bad things about the Accord Hybrid fuel consumption and there are huge variations on www.fuelly.com. To be honest fuel consumption is not the top priority although getting 17-18km/ltr would be nice. Battery warranty on both cars is 10 years. I know the price of an exchange Camry battery but not as yet the Accord Battery. Both use completely different Hybrid systems and battery types.

What is interesting about the Accord pricing structure is that their basic hybrid is actually cheaper than their 2.4EL Navi and the spec is not massively different.

Has anyone had/have either of these two hybrids or any strong views ... thanks

The plain gas engine is far greener if you look at the big picture.

How does the "Baht per km" stack up against your 3 Litre diesel pickup considering the Camry burns a rather more expensive fuel?

Are any plug-in hybrids (i.e. a hybrid with a decent range in EV mode which can be plugged-in at night for a low cost charge) available in Thailand?

Is either vehicle available with a turbo-diesel?

Also (off topic), look at the location of the air intake, a lot of cars have it very low down, ideal for sucking up water in an all too common flooding situation.

EDIT Don't forget, both cars use battery technology similar to that found in laptops and mobiles phones. When was the last time you had a phone or laptop battery that lasted 5 years, let alone 10?

Just as a point of interest , most of the taxis in Sydney are now Camry Hybrids A mate of mine who is a cabbie says they are great although a bit smaller than the previous tank like things they used to drive. I would assume they would turn them over just before the 10 year battery warranty expires.

How many miles do you drive a year? Unless it's significant, the hybrid doesn't make sense. Google "efficacy of hybrid cars" for more information.

I doubt any Google results for that search would have any relevance in Thailand, where hybrids enjoy massive tax savings.

So how much is a battery change on those hybrid cars? +100K baht for sure? Only guessing.

The batteries have to be binned correctly as they contain some nasty stuff, do they do it correctly here in Thailand?

A hybrid make sense to me, spend over 50% of the time in traffic jams in Pattaya and are not going anywhere.

Sometimes only manage 7.5km/l in the truck because of that. As soon as doing a trip outside Pattaya +12km/l, hmm.

Just as a point of interest , most of the taxis in Sydney are now Camry Hybrids A mate of mine who is a cabbie says they are great although a bit smaller than the previous tank like things they used to drive. I would assume they would turn them over just before the 10 year battery warranty expires.

In Sydney the maximum age of a cab is 6.5 years.

http://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/operators/taxis/taxi-vehicle-standards/specifications-taxis

So how much is a battery change on those hybrid cars? +100K baht for sure? Only guessing.

The batteries have to be binned correctly as they contain some nasty stuff, do they do it correctly here in Thailand?

A hybrid make sense to me, spend over 50% of the time in traffic jams in Pattaya and are not going anywhere.

Sometimes only manage 7.5km/l in the truck because of that. As soon as doing a trip outside Pattaya +12km/l, hmm.

Seems the batteries have a core credit component to the cost, I would assume Toyota dispose of them correctly.

And yeah, 100K + for a new battery.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1078138_toyota-hybrid-battery-replacement-cost-guide

Edited by Don Mega

For sure Hybrid makes sense if you spend most of your time in BKK or Pattaya traffic jams, with the jerky acceleration and braking etc., it's astounding how bad the fuel economy gets in those conditions. I think the cost of replacing those batteries will also be astounding to hybrid owners as the car approaches 10 years old.

For sure Hybrid makes sense if you spend most of your time in BKK or Pattaya traffic jams, with the jerky acceleration and braking etc., it's astounding how bad the fuel economy gets in those conditions. I think the cost of replacing those batteries will also be astounding to hybrid owners as the car approaches 10 years old.

Cheers keemapoot,

Well the hybrids are very complicated cars which don't suit Thailand well, LOL.

Furthermore I have been driven on flooded roads in the truck quite a lot already, perhaps in 0.5 m once, I rather not do that in a (hybrid) sedan car so despite the Pop Star's low opinion about them, my water melon hauler has been good and people gives me space.

I normally change car/truck after 5-6 years where the vehicle should run without problems.

I agree with crossy pretty much. on paper your class for class honda beats your toyota every time on efficiency, output price and stuff.

when you look at hybrid a lot of it is to cash in on niche market of those who want to be doing more for environment usually european.

the gasoline car will be more efficient and cheaper and more environmentally friendly in the long run.

hybrid engines may or may not get there in the end, but at the moment the technology is still developing /improving.

Have a Camry hybrid here in Canada and just turned over 500k on a 2009. Fuel savings are very significant compared to other gas engines in Chev's or Fords. Any drivers buying new cars are replacing them with the Camry.

Really? so Ford and Chev are out of business in CA?

Have a Camry hybrid here in Canada and just turned over 500k on a 2009. Fuel savings are very significant compared to other gas engines in Chev's or Fords. Any drivers buying new cars are replacing them with the Camry.

Didn't think I said they were out of business,maybe u should read again. To clarify more I should say these are cars for commercial uses. Chev's also make a trans. that only last 250-300k.

I cannot find any reference for the Camry sales but I do notice the Chev Volt is listed as being the best hybrid seller in Canada.

http://www.durhamregion.com/community-story/5655051-2016-chevrolet-volt-provides-unique-content-at-great-value-for-canada/

So highly likely the link I provided that states the Volt is the best seller is correct then (for the canadian market which was the topic of conversation).

Edited by Don Mega