Is now a good time to change Baht to U.S. Dollars?

My sentiments exactly. One thing economists are good for...uh sorry I forget. Economics is not and never can be a science. It's a course in college. In the real world they serve little purpose. The above economist is consistently losing money every month changing USD to Baht. Why would you do that? To make a killing when the big turnaround comes? No one thinks that's about to happen except apparently the above economist.

Leave the speculation about where the exchange rate is going to the forex traders.

I am converting my savings to THB because I don't need USD in Thailand and I need to pay a dowry eventually. Anyway, my salary is paid in USD to my US bank and my "savings" is actually recently sold stock, as I am expecting a Fed rate hike later this year that will force a market correction. I am not a forex trader, but neither am I ignorant of the indicators that forex traders monitor to update their algorithms. It is likely that the USD will gain on the THB in the short-term, especially when (or if) the Fed raises rates, but the dollar is already overvalued compared to other currencies. If you are not in a hurry to trade THB for USD, just wait; your purchasing power will increase.

Nobody forces you to respect or listen to economists just as nobody forces you to respect or listen to doctors. Doctors ensure your health, while economists ensure your wealth. Economics cannot be a natural science because human behaviors cannot be defined in unfalsifiable models.

ACH is an acronym of sorts for Automated Clearing House. To oversimplify, it's the financial settlement system for transferring money in the U.S. banking system. U.S. federal law limits the number of ACH transactions per month from a US savings account to six but - to my knowledge - there is no limit on amounts.

As you mentioned, you would have no difficulties wire transferring money from the proceeds of a property sale.

US domestic ACH transfers to Bangkok Bank are a cost-effective way to exchange USD for THB as the transfer is free (depending on your bank), BKKBK charges very little and the exchange rate is excellent. My two banks both limit ACH transfers to $5000 per day or per transfer. I can increase the limit upon request, of course, but that could raise suspicions within the bank or the IRS when the money is leaving the country, or so I've heard. For me, international wire transfers take too long, are expensive and will need to be reported to the IRS if over $10000. I am not a tax professional, so I don't know what the IRS is up to, but I'm sure they could come up with some reason to tax me.

Are you American? You have done ACH transfers from BKK Bank in NY to Thailand??? I called New York and they told me they do not do ACH transfers to BKK, Do wires though. I want to do ACH.

Edited by elgenon

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah, the Chinese know how to handle the market: threaten to throw the shorts in jail! Hahahahah! That'll do the trick! We need a little more of that on Wall St.

Seriously though, when the Fed says OK, we will absolutely NEVER raise interest rates again, that means they're gonna do it.

I wondered why the Fed would want to raise rates when that would cause the dollar to rise and create problems for the recovery plus inflation is low. It was explained to me that the Fed is itching to raise rates because this recovery is approaching the typical limit in years for a recovery before another recession. If the rates stay this low the Fed will have little ammo to combat a new recession.

You said seriously the Fed is not logical and is not being transparent??? They are being very transparent. If you want to see obfuscation look at China.

Incredible that so many replies here provide an answer to the exact opposite of the question asked.

The Baht today is weaker against major foreign currencies than it was 6 months ago... So now is a bad time to change Baht to US$ compared to the situation of six months ago.

The Baht would have to strengthen for it to become a better time to change to US$ than it is now.

However, trends would suggest that of the three possible scenarios, a strengthening Baht over the next 6 months is the least likely to happen, with the most likely being a weakening Baht.

If the Baht does weaken then you would be worse off waiting... unless you wait long enough for the Baht to strengthen again, which might be substantially longer

If the Baht remains static against the US$ then it wouldn't matter whether you change now or in six months time, rates would not shift much

Only if it strengthens would it be beneficial to wait...

... or to step back in time and change it six months ago.

So, it depends. Where do you think the exchange rate will be in six months time, and how urgent/necessary is it for you to change into US$ in the immediate short-term, and are you comfortable with the current exchange rate?

Where it was six months ago is totally irrelevant...

No telling for sure, but I think the prevailing sentiment is, and the market is factoring in, that the U.S. Fed is going to start raising interest rates, making for a stronger dollar. Troubles in the EU over the Greek thing and the run on the Chinese stock market auger well for the dollar (in the short run, at least) as well. If you accept this, then you probably don't want to wait on exchanging THB for USD. If you're a contrarian, then maybe this is all just a blip and there are better days ahead for the baht.

I follow the THB and PHP daily, and the USD has been inching ahead against both.

'All in the game. Up to you.

My sentiments exactly. One thing economists are good for...uh sorry I forget. Economics is not and never can be a science. It's a course in college. In the real world they serve little purpose. The above economist is consistently losing money every month changing USD to Baht. Why would you do that? To make a killing when the big turnaround comes? No one thinks that's about to happen except apparently the above economist.

Leave the speculation about where the exchange rate is going to the forex traders.

I am converting my savings to THB because I don't need USD in Thailand and I need to pay a dowry eventually. Anyway, my salary is paid in USD to my US bank and my "savings" is actually recently sold stock, as I am expecting a Fed rate hike later this year that will force a market correction. I am not a forex trader, but neither am I ignorant of the indicators that forex traders monitor to update their algorithms. It is likely that the USD will gain on the THB in the short-term, especially when (or if) the Fed raises rates, but the dollar is already overvalued compared to other currencies. If you are not in a hurry to trade THB for USD, just wait; your purchasing power will increase.

Nobody forces you to respect or listen to economists just as nobody forces you to respect or listen to doctors. Doctors ensure your health, while economists ensure your wealth. Economics cannot be a natural science because human behaviors cannot be defined in unfalsifiable models.

ACH is an acronym of sorts for Automated Clearing House. To oversimplify, it's the financial settlement system for transferring money in the U.S. banking system. U.S. federal law limits the number of ACH transactions per month from a US savings account to six but - to my knowledge - there is no limit on amounts.

As you mentioned, you would have no difficulties wire transferring money from the proceeds of a property sale.

US domestic ACH transfers to Bangkok Bank are a cost-effective way to exchange USD for THB as the transfer is free (depending on your bank), BKKBK charges very little and the exchange rate is excellent. My two banks both limit ACH transfers to $5000 per day or per transfer. I can increase the limit upon request, of course, but that could raise suspicions within the bank or the IRS when the money is leaving the country, or so I've heard. For me, international wire transfers take too long, are expensive and will need to be reported to the IRS if over $10000. I am not a tax professional, so I don't know what the IRS is up to, but I'm sure they could come up with some reason to tax me.

Are you American? You have done ACH transfers from BKK Bank in NY to Thailand??? I called New York and they told me they do not do ACH transfers to BKK, Do wires though. I want to do ACH.

Its not an Economist job to make money.

The Economists role to simplify is to offer conclusions based on known/unknown Facts . Which is forever changing.

Whether you should change now depends on whether you need to and which direction you believe the rates will move from now on.........whistling.gif

I believe the OPs question was whether he should change now. You obviously don't know. Why bother answering?

whistling.gif

If you actually read and inwardly digest both the original post and my reply you should notice that he asked two questions - one of which I answered. You have of course only quoted the second part of my reply as that suited your requirement to try and make a smart alec reply - which does not help the discussion at all. So I could equally ask "why bother".........what a <deleted> angry.gif

Not sure if anybody else noticed but the OP has been conspicuous by his absence......

If you want to see nature, landscapes, animals then you surely have to go on route 304 which goes through Khao Yai national park.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khao_Yai_National_Park

Khao Yai is one of the most popular national parks and surely worth an excursion.

If you want to visit friends in Buriram and Surin then an overnight is unavoidable.

After Khao Yai you could turn eastwards to Buriram/Surin.

Even on the shortest/quickest route the trip is 8h under good conditions without major stops.

So any detour, sightseeing will bring you in trouble to reach U.T. during daylight (which I would strictly recommend).

No driving in the night (for me).

Quickest would be on the tollway/freeways (7/9/2) not passing through Khao Yai.

Don't discard the Mekong route in the eastern direction which is okay however, the picturesque 'nor-westish' (toward Loei) route is our preference. Nice scenery.

Yes, now is a very good time to exchange USD for THB. I have exchanged the maximum I am allowed per month both this month and the last two months.

I am an economist. If you really want the whole technical explanation you can pm me, but you can also just look at FRED graphs and the dollar index over time. Hint: economic cycle theorists are often correct.

Honourable Sir Economist, Esq,;

please refrain from publishing fairy tales. hint: there is no such thing like an allowed maximum amount to exchange whether it's Baht to Forex or Forex to Baht.

moreover, the OP asked "THB to USD" and not "USD to THB".

whistling.gif

Therefore, the inverse is true your excellency. This is the worst time in 5 years to convert the Thai baht to USD.

The worst. And yes, I call "BS" too, what maximum allowed amount ???

Now to answer the original posting.

There is simply not enough information to determine that, since we do not know your timeline or pain threshold.

I have a pretty solid track-record predicting the value of the THB, and used to publish my findings for international investors.

I would say, in short ... you are screwed. the THB will settle in a range between 33.50 and 34..50 for the foreseeable future verses the steam rolling USD.

And let me tell you, when the Fed tightens, and then tightens again .. look for the THB to hit 35.

Have no idea why anyone would hold the THB for so long, and now .. decide to sell it.

Let's just give you the benefit of the doubt that it is not a meaningful sum, and an unexpected need for greenbacks popped up.

The point is, "the trend is your friend" (or enemy, in your case.)

USD THB - Five year chart ... below

post-145190-0-96999500-1436869972_thumb.

Edited by Guest

Not one person alive would know the answer.

If we could forecast what the baht would be doing...it would be pretty irrelevant, as it seems to be "not floating freely".

The only thing I know....dollar cost averaging. Over the years, the dollar has always been a fairly steady currency.

In this respect, I never trade large amounts of currency.....I just do the same amount every month.

Seems the most sensible thing.

Goes for buying or selling. Average it out. Dollar is almost always a sure winner...over time...as the charts previously post..prove.

Edited by slipperylobster

Nothing is certain but if the Fed raises interest rates, emerging markets will be officially renamed to submerging markets as there will be 10 years of carry trade capital flows that could potentially unwind and I would not want to be short dollars in that event.

However, that could play out over several years depending upon the speed at which the fed normalize rates.

Whether you should change now depends on whether you need to and which direction you believe the rates will move from now on.........whistling.gif

I believe the OPs question was whether he should change now. You obviously don't know. Why bother answering?

whistling.gif

I thought that the answer was succinct and to the point. The truth is that no one; professional or amateur, can do much more than make an educated guess when it comes to forecasting currency, equity or any other future event.

whistling.gif

I thought that the answer was succinct and to the point. The truth is that no one; professional or amateur, can do much more than make an educated guess when it comes to forecasting currency, equity or any other future event.

I thought the question was general question only , There is no reference to Financial Consideration involved , no reference to timing. No reference to The Ops needs views requirements in anyway

Therefore the op question was satisfactorily answered, should the Op require a more specific detailed answer. I am quite sure many people here would be more than happy to offer solution advice .

The requirements of transfer for someone on holiday or exchange eg: 1000 BHT is different to requirements of someone that sold a business or house even hedge multi million dollar swap .

All you economists (hopefuls anyway) giving textbook reasons why the dollar should keep going up.

I had some economics courses back in college days, but have been not so good picking stocks (mostly because of my greed)
(have you ever heard the rule: "Bulls make money, Bears make money, Pigs get slaughtered"

But, I think the reason the baht is going down is because of the political situation here, which changes the money coming in.
Less companies want to do business with a dictator running things.
Less tourists want to come here (except the Chinese, who don't spend much anyway)

And the continuing equal rights abuses don't help either.

So, then we have agriculture (Thailand's biggest moneymaker).
A weaker baht will help the farmers so, why not, have it go up? (if it is controlled)

Anyway, that's my thoughts on this.

To answer the OP. Buy the dollars now.
As you can see, consensus seems to be that the dollar will continue to rise.

Of course, we could all be wrong.

All you economists (hopefuls anyway) giving textbook reasons why the dollar should keep going up.

I had some economics courses back in college days, but have been not so good picking stocks (mostly because of my greed)

(have you ever heard the rule: "Bulls make money, Bears make money, Pigs get slaughtered"

But, I think the reason the baht is going down is because of the political situation here, which changes the money coming in.

Less tourists want to come here (except the Chinese, who don't spend much anyway)

So, then we have agriculture (Thailand's biggest moneymaker).

A weaker baht will help the farmers so, why not, have it go up? (if it is controlled)

Anyway, that's my thoughts on this.

To answer the OP. Buy the dollars now.

As you can see, consensus seems to be that the dollar will continue to rise.

Of course, we could all be wrong.

USD is bench mark currency therefore if USD goes up most if not all Cross currency will fall , except the case of Pegged currency being HKD RMB CHF etc etc

If you believe your currency has Sovereign benefits but falls against the USD . You may consider a secondary currency against your BHT ie NZD.BHT

Either way FX is a two street you need to sell something in order to buy something else. (Pairs)

To improve your trading you need to consider timing your entries starting small get some small wins first, If you trade to big then your emotion will pull you out of the trade everytime.

Countries / Companies raise a lot of funds through Bond Market the higher the offer rate the more money that will filter into the country , more money coming the higher the currency is pushed. USD is No.1

Look at Apple it keeps issuing new Bonds, Why ? because most of its profits are domiciled overseas, To repatriate those funds back into the company in the US , The headquarters issues new Bonds and the sudsidiary offices of Apple are the main buyer of these bonds. This is a main contributer to strengthening USD.

Usually countries ruled by Dictators' have sovereign risk and riddled with corruption Eg Thai rice market .

Agri business are the biggest gamblers , Variables include floods , drought , unstable government intervention. Currency Risk.

if you're quick, would it be better long term to jump in and buy up Euro which I believe is taking a hit due to the Greece fiasco.

The Euro will quickly recover when real decisions are made and the EU fires up again; and then later on do the jump to US

We are about to do a UK/Europe/Canada/US trip for the rest of this year, and online exchnge rate histographs, between the continents, have been interesting of late...

whistling.gif

That depends on the depth of their education, and the efficacy of the ability to forecast, proven over time (and with profits in the bank)

The key point is the "profits in bank" portion.

There is a world of difference between arm chair theory and real life investing with real money and real consequences.

Back in the day, when I managed High Net Worth portfolios, and people knew what I was in, in social settings, golf, parties, coffee, whatever .. people would eagerly give me "hot tips" on stocks that were "sure to double."

As an equity professional, I did not bother to engage them .. I simply asked "Do you absolutely believe it will double?" "Yes !!!" "No doubt?" "No doubt, this is the next Microsoft !!!"

"How much of this stock did you buy?"

"Ummm, none"

"Thank you for the tip, I will keep that in mind."

In short, no .. there are fundamental reasons for stocks, bonds, commodities, and currencies to change in value, and often, the direction of that change is obvious.

How sure am I of this? I turned $90,000 into $1,000,000 in four years, all in stocks and bonds, not a gram of gold.

whistling.gif

That depends on the depth of their education, and the efficacy of the ability to forecast, proven over time (and with profits in the bank)

The key point is the "profits in bank" portion.

There is a world of difference between arm chair theory and real life investing with real money and real consequences.

Back in the day, when I managed High Net Worth portfolios, and people knew what I was in, in social settings, golf, parties, coffee, whatever .. people would eagerly give me "hot tips" on stocks that were "sure to double."

As an equity professional, I did not bother to engage them .. I simply asked "Do you absolutely believe it will double?" "Yes !!!" "No doubt?" "No doubt, this is the next Microsoft !!!"

"How much of this stock did you buy?"

"Ummm, none"

"Thank you for the tip, I will keep that in mind."

In short, no .. there are fundamental reasons for stocks, bonds, commodities, and currencies to change in value, and often, the direction of that change is obvious.

How sure am I of this? I turned $90,000 into $1,000,000 in four years, all in stocks and bonds, not a gram of gold.

well done, The difference these days is AI and High Frequency , I would sooner trade the old days than these markets now.

mmm 1mio in 4years not bad . The fastest i made 1 mio was 5 Days.

This is nothing compared to these fund managers Einhorn and friends , they are the gods .

I don't see the baht rising and no one else does either. You're better off in USD. Fed rate change has nothing to do with it. If anything we're seeing a flight to the world's currency... the USD. There is absolutely no need to go to baht unless like you say you need money for a big purchase.

The IRS is not concerned with your $10000+ transfers. Why would they care? $10,000 needs to be reported if it's in a foreign bank for the interest it generates. That's income that needs to be reported. That's the only thing they care about. Transfer any amount you want. There is billions of dollars flying all over the world everyday. No one cares about your little transfer.

Sometimes we get one view of things in our heads that is wrong. The IRS just wants you to play by the rules. You can buy anything you want, anywhere in the world. Transfer anything, anywhere. There is no one at the IRS or some bank looking over your shoulder. You're small potatoes. No one cares what you're doing until you make some money (interest from a bank) and then they want their piece of that income.

My advice would be to open a Charles Schwab International account. You can go into any bank with a passport and transfer any amount of money with your ATM card with no charge. $10000 is not a problem. Oh yeah, and keep your money in USDs.

"The IRS is not concerned with your $10000+ transfers. Why would they care? $10,000 needs to be reported if it's in a foreign bank for the interest it generates. That's income that needs to be reported. That's the only thing they care about. Transfer any amount you want. There is billions of dollars flying all over the world everyday. No one cares about your little transfer."

ANY currency transactions in the U.S. over $10,000 are automatically reported by the financial institution involved. Patterns are monitored and "Structuring" of transactions to avoid the reporting is a criminal offense and the funds may be seized. This is meant to be a money laundering deterrent and is actually quite stringently enforced. Whether the action was intentional or not small businesses and individuals have been prosecuted under this requirement. Here is the Wikipedia short explanation:

"A currency transaction report (CTR) is a report that U.S. financial institutions are required to file with FinCEN for each deposit, withdrawal, exchange of currency, or other payment or transfer, by, through, or to the financial institution which involves a transaction in currency of more than $10,000.[1] Used in this context, currency means the coin and/or paper money of any country that is designated as legal tender by the country of issuance. Currency also includes U.S. silver certificates, U.S. notes, Federal Reserve notes, and official foreign bank notes."

Sorry, but I don't believe any of your points have any significant impact on the strength of the THB. What matters more is what's going on in the EU and the US, if we're talking about the exchange rates with those currencies. The baht could certainly fall against the USD while at the same time, rise against the EURO, which would make your points meaningless. And foreign companies are doing business with Thailand, regardless of who's in charge.

Sorry, but I don't believe any of your points have any significant impact on the strength of the THB. What matters more is what's going on in the EU and the US, if we're talking about the exchange rates with those currencies. The baht could certainly fall against the USD while at the same time, rise against the EURO, which would make your points meaningless. And foreign companies are doing business with Thailand, regardless of who's in charge.

I am with Berkshire on this ...

Why?

Because relatively speaking, the Thai baht has been more resilient, less volatile and preserved its value at a better level than many western currencies.

Frankly, the election / coup cycle in Thailand is accepted as "Business as Usual" .. and often with a pro business, pro investment flavor to it.

It is actually more stable and business friendly to just "know who to call" to get problems solved.

I like the current system and hope it stays in place.

BTW ... Been shaken down on Sukhumvit by folks with badges lately?

Neither have I.

Sorry. It is currently a very bad time to exchange baht for USD.

If you live in the US, federal law dictates a maximum of 6 ach transfers from a savings account per billing cycle. This can limit your ability to exchange dollars for baht quickly if using ach transfers.

Federal law does not limit the number of ACH transfers in a month. Your bank may have such limits, especially when it comes to Money Market accounts, but that not a federal law it is a bank policy. The feds don't even have a dollar limit on ACH transfers, just that if going to a foreign bank they must be reported via a FBAR form if over $10,000 and if really large amounts then FACTA kicks in

Edited by Langsuan Man

Is it only me that believes in a looong market recession from now and onwards and cash / pm is what should be "invested" if any? I don't know but general hyper bubble, all countries printing too much money, zero interest rates, Chinese gov giving artificial first aid to the stock market, Israel with a trigger happy finger, drought and volcanoes combined seems to be a dangerous combo, or just me thinking that?

Is it only me that believes in a looong market recession from now and onwards and cash / pm is what should be "invested" if any? I don't know but general hyper bubble, all countries printing too much money, zero interest rates, Chinese gov giving artificial first aid to the stock market, Israel with a trigger happy finger, drought and volcanoes combined seems to be a dangerous combo, or just me thinking that?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikepatton/2015/05/21/ron-paul-on-the-public-debt-and-the-collapse-of-the-dollar/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikepatton/2015/05/21/ron-paul-on-the-public-debt-and-the-collapse-of-the-dollar/

worth a look

...meanwhile, the baht has continued to slide, slowly (against the USD anyway), while this discussion's been going on.

I'm actually in the opposite position, and am timing my next baht purchase. My bet's on waiting. I'm thinking more aggressive BOT intervention is probably due IOT keep speculators at bay, but the longer term trend will continue.