Bangkok coffee shop faces fine for charging customer for 'business talk'

webfact

'Boncafe' faces fine for charging customer for 'business talk'
By Coconuts Bangkok

openfood-header_1.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A Ratchada Road coffee shop accused of charging a customer thousands of baht for a "business talk fee" could face its own heavy fine.

The Office of the Consumer Protection Board said it has summoned the coffee shop’s manager to discuss the matter Friday, following an outcry after a customer alleged he was asked to pay THB2,000 for holding a two-hour business discussion at the Boncafe located outside the Muang Thai Insurance building,

On Wednesday, Facebook user Atipoj Srisukhin claimed he had to pay a THB2,000 fee for holding a two-hour business discussion at the cafe.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/07/13/boncafe-faces-fine-charging-customer-business-talk

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-07-13

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good for them, about time something was done about that kind of selfish customer, pity they didn't collect the fee.

You see it a lot in McD ... someone teaching a small group of students. It's not that bad with the students doing their homework there but teaching is pushing the limit a bit

"On Wednesday, Facebook user Atipoj Srisukhin claimed he had to pay a THB2,000 fee for holding a two-hour business discussion at the cafe."

Too right he should be charged. If you want to hold a business discussion then use your premises or pay for the rent of a room.

See these people holding meetings, teaching students, selling crap in cafes all the time, taking up the seats customers would use and not buying anything except for one coffee and a bottle of water to share.

Add a zero to the bill, sue him if he's claimed he had to pay the bill when he didn't and then ban him for life.

Edited by Bluespunk

Seemingly he didn't pay, was instead advised they do not cater for business meetings, so stop complaining & get a room you cheapskate.............coffee is cheaper at home and nobody has to listen to your half baked business plan while you hog the good seats.

Okay, I guess I'll be the dissenting opinion. They should have either kicked him out or informed him before adding the charge to the bill that they charge for meeting space.

Kinda chicken@#!t, in my opinion, to sneak it onto the bill at the end.

Yes you see this a lot people using free wife and the space in places like this. Its crazy just because you buy some food you can't hold complete meetings there and deprive the company of turnover because you keep tables occupied.

I agree with what everyone else is saying.

You often see people (foreigners) here asking where they can work on free WIFE i can understand companies not wanting these kind of people in their shops. especially shops that are real busy.

In Dallas' Starbucks Coffee Shops, it is common for people, who would normally work from home (on their computer), to set up shop there and Starbucks welcomes their patronage. Many of my Thai friends have business meetings at Bangkok Starbucks and never a complaint or extra charge. As long as they are buying product, it shouldn't matter if they are doing business or just being lay-about. I see from the bill that he bought two drinks every 20 minutes.

If this cafe' didn't post their policy on the menu or at the entrance, that is not right and they deserve the Bt. 10,000 fine. Say what you want about Starbucks but they are business friendly.

BTW, for those of you who are ignorant about how business is done, some people actually have business luncheons, and horror of horrors, discuss business over evening meals... at restaurants no less.

Yes you see this a lot people using free wife and the space in places like this. Its crazy just because you buy some food you can't hold complete meetings there and deprive the company of turnover because you keep tables occupied.

I agree with what everyone else is saying.

You often see people (foreigners) here asking where they can work on free WIFE i can understand companies not wanting these kind of people in their shops. especially shops that are real busy.

Do you have to keep the free wife or can you return her at the end of the day? laugh.png

I don't disagree with what you say in principle....I disagree with the manner in which the establishment handled it.

I teach my students at the Starbucks near me. I will always buy something and my students do to. Other 'normal' customers are also there for hours on end hogging up the seats as well so what is the difference?

The staff there like me too because I am always nice and polite and bringing them customers smile.png. Some of you have too much time on your hands and complain about anything.

I'm going to go against the bulk of prevailing opinion on this matter.

I don't see a problem with people going into coffee shops and talking.

I've had plenty of work meetings in coffee shops. I used to be a community worker in the real world. I found meetings in coffee shops to be convenient, convivial, informal and best of all economically catered.

This is a great way to encourage custom and IMHO, no worse than a group of friends talking.

One important point here is where do these shops stop charging for incidental circumstances?

Should friends be charged more than singles. Its ridiculous to think that shops can charge differently for the circumstances under which there products are consumed?

Its also discriminatory.

We all have our prejudices and I personally would like to ban people wearing lycra, mothers with children and worst of all geeks with laptops who buy one coffee, use free wifi for hours on end and only consume a single coffee, sitting at the best tables when there is limited seating available.

Oh and anyone who orders a Chai Latte.

Oh anyone who corrupts coffee with low fat milk - they should definitely be taken out the back and shot in the face.Funny-Coffee-Shop-Sign.jpg

Edited by Manbing

I teach my students at the Starbucks near me. I will always buy something and my students do to. Other 'normal' customers are also there for hours on end hogging up the seats as well so what is the difference?

The staff there like me too because I am always nice and polite and bringing them customers smile.png. Some of you have too much time on your hands and complain about anything.

Policy should be per person/couple that for every 40 minutes you are there you buy a drink or some food.

Sit all you want but spend as well.

What a bunch of cra*y guys here. If i would drink coffee, reason enough to avoid this Bonsh*t.

It seems, some people had never a life. This customers did consume. See the bill. Well, TiT. Nothing does really surprise me anymore.

Why is Coconuts considered a news source????? Bangkok Post has the actually story including the patron's admission there was a sign ON EVERY TABLE, which they claimed was small and they didn't read, which indicated the 1,000 baht an hour charge. The facebook user later deleted the post saying it was a misunderstanding. He also said the charge was immediately removed when they complained.

Policy should be per person/couple that for every 40 minutes you are there you buy a drink or some food.

I think that would chase away A LOT of customers. Like I said other people in the coffee shops are there chatting with friends for hours, tutoring, having little meetings about business or whatever else. If you start putting in time constraints then most of the customers would reject it and leave. I do purchase something but if they started imposing these rules I'd go somewhere else on principal.

I think that would chase away A LOT of customers. Like I said other people in the coffee shops are there chatting with friends for hours, tutoring, having little meetings about business or whatever else. If you start putting in time constraints then most of the customers would reject it and leave. I do purchase something but if they started imposing these rules I'd go somewhere else on principal.

If you have a problem with customers staying to long its easy enough to persuade them their time is up.

Just go and plonk a plate with a turd in front of them. They'll soon get the message.

Or they just may get rid of the squatters. When to a True coffee shop in Siam Square with my wife as we were waiting for somebody and we actually wanted to have a drink and snack but all the tables were filled by people with their head buried in their devices and empty cups in front of them. In the 30-seconds it took us to walk in and walk out, another couple did the same.

As a member of an elite organisation that meets socially at pubs, cafes, restaurants, member houses, etc, on a regular basis normally once a month, one such meeting for breakfast in a cafe on a Sunday morning will last about 3 hours, they do not charge us for a long breakfast meeting, in actual fact they have a brass plaque on the wall saying we meet there.

Business must be great at this joint if they can afford to offend and effectively turn away this kind of customer. I see it all the time at Au Bon Pain ...they don't seem to have an issue with and nor should they , providing there is a spend ( and the prospect of a repeat customer).

What gets up my nose is the solo customer who thinks it's appropriate to make 'phone calls , sometimes even on speaker, that everyone else has to hear ( usually farang)

Yes you see this a lot people using free wife and the space in places like this.

Interesting concept.

Or they just may get rid of the squatters. When to a True coffee shop in Siam Square with my wife as we were waiting for somebody and we actually wanted to have a drink and snack but all the tables were filled by people with their head buried in their devices and empty cups in front of them. In the 30-seconds it took us to walk in and walk out, another couple did the same.

So drink your sh%t and promptly leave is the solution then? That attitude would lose them more customers long term than being at full capacity.

If you have a problem with customers staying to long its easy enough to persuade them their time is up.

Just go and plonk a plate with a turd in front of them. They'll soon get the message.

Being Thailand I should point out this is a complimentary item and should not be added to the bill, or you might get complaints.

I'd still like to see it done, to everyone. Not just those using it as a place of business.

Edited by Bluespunk

Good for them, about time something was done about that kind of selfish customer, pity they didn't collect the fee.

You see it a lot in McD ... someone teaching a small group of students. It's not that bad with the students doing their homework there but teaching is pushing the limit a bit

Then why not kick them out of the restaurant? It's private property after all and the owner says who can be inside.