Use Family Mart hotspot for Smart TV?

ThaiWai

Can I just connect my Smart TV to the wifi hotspot Family Mart next door and forgo actual billed internet service in my shop? Or will the hotspot require a phone number for logins or payments etc, or be cost prohibitive to do on a monthly basis for unlimited wifi on the TV. I opened the TV browser and got 20 minutes free from Family Mart 3BB and it was working fairly quick. The TV has a speed test app but I forget to run it when connected, now my 20 minute trial is up. There is a machine outside the Family Mart that offers 1 month 3BB connectivity for 109 baht. Seems to easy to be true. Wattaya think?

3BB Hotspot Subscription allows one connection per login and generally offer 10mbps unlimited access for 99THB/mo

Requires initial login through a web browser.

You can subscribe directly through 3BB website,

or subscribing to 3BB WiFi as an add-on service through AIS or DTAC.

3BB WiFi Hotspot offers many wifi package and payment options for your preference and usage in both Prepaid Card and Unlimited Monthly package in the value for money pricing.

• 1 month later...

Update: I have been running my smart tv on Family Mart wifi for 100B unlimited access and it works great. Occasionally need to re login but not often. Cant beat the price and the speed is good. Watch youtube videos constantly and use it for music playlists also.

Can afford a smart tv but not your own Internet connection?

Hm, strange question. How exactly is it not "my" internet connection when it is available to the public. If I need to elaborate, after hearing tons of complaints about getting internet run to a home or business a slow speeds, I decided to try a different approach. As it happens it was less expensive and effective. Then I thought to share it and possibly help someone else. Sorry that was challenging for you. Perhaps you are being deliberately obtuse. Either way I suppose you don't really matter.

It's not yours as it is public. I know your paying but my point is you have made the effort to buy a smart tv and I dont see the point in buying one if you are using a shared public wifi.

You have no router and very little chance of being able to do anything if the signal is inconsistent.

As they say here "Up to you"

It's not yours as it is public. I know your paying but my point is you have made the effort to buy a smart tv and I dont see the point in buying one if you are using a shared public wifi.

You have no router and very little chance of being able to do anything if the signal is inconsistent.

As they say here "Up to you"

Are you off your medication?

Would you say the same if he tethered Internet off his phone?

Yes, there are security issues when sharing an Internet connection with the great unwashed, but... it's just a TV.

+5 for the troll

Err. My point is not security. It's reliabilty.

Read my post again.

I read your post again, you didn't mention 'reliability'. You mentioned, "It's not yours as it is public", and, "You have no router and very little chance of being able to do anything if the signal is inconsistent".

So, what do you do when "your" private Internet becomes "inconsistent"? Power cycle the Router? Is there a special menu on the Router Web Config I don't know about?

Can you state specific instances where having control of the router was the answer to solving a "Reliability" Internet issue?

My only issue with using a WiFi Hotspot as an ISP was signal strength (solved with a USB WiFi stick on a long USB extension cable), and lightning popping the tower and taking service offline for 10 minutes at a time. The people in charge of maintaining and servicing the equipment were very reliable.

Archived