Couple saves three Irish students from 'visa overstay' jail time in Thailand

webfact

This Irish couple saved three students from jail time in a Thailand airport

ir.jpg
John O'Brien and Julianne Ní Laoire
Image: Julianne Ní Laoire/Facebook

SURAT THANI: -- THREE IRISH STUDENTS were facing what could only be described as a worst nightmare in Thailand when a fellow Irish couple came to their rescue – and they didn’t even know each other’s names.

Julianne Ní Laoire and her boyfriend John O’Brien, both from Tralee, were waiting for a flight of their own in Thailand’s Surat Thani airport last week when they noticed three young women in a state of distress in the airport terminal.

“We were waiting to fly to Bangkok from where we were going to be flying home. We were at the end of a three-and-a-half week holiday after graduating, when we saw these girls running around,” Julianne told TheJournal.ie.

The girls in question were Sorcha Cotter, Maeve Nevin Maguire and Nicole Yap – students from UCC who were seeking to continue their summer holidays in Malaysia.

Due to a mix-up the girls had accidentally over-stayed their visa in Thailand by seven days, something the airport authorities didn’t take kindly to. They were slapped with an on-the-spot fine of 10,500 baht (500 baht each per day), the equivalent of €300, and told that if they couldn’t pay they’d be taken to a police station and prosecuted.

“This girl sat down beside me and just broke down in tears, she said their flight was already half an hour late and they had a problem with their visas. I was just like “it could be worse. you could be in hospital”,” says Julianne.

Full story: http://www.thejournal.ie/thailand-couple-2215421-Jul2015/

-- The Journal 2015-07-15

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does Surat Thani airport even have immigration, i dont think it does, why would they be fined there anyway, they were departing Thailand BKK, either badly reported or some BS being written

And 7 × 500 doesnt equal THB10500 BTW if it was genuine fine they overstayed 21 days

1 If 7 days = THB 3500

2 overstayed 21 days

3 scammed by someone

4 someone is writing BS

A few factual things wrong with this story

Edited by Soutpeel

Does Surat Thani airport even have immigration, i dont think it does, why would they be fined there anyway, they were departing Thailand BKK, either badly reported or some BS being written

And 7 × 500 doesnt equal THB10500 BTW if it was genuine fine they overstayed 21 days

1 If 7 days = THB 3500

2 overstayed 21 days

3 scammed by someone

4 someone is writing BS

7 days x 3 people = 10,500 baht..

3500 + 3500 = 7000

7000 + 3500 = 10500

Hope that clears it up for you.

1 If 7 days = THB 3500

2 overstayed 21 days

3 scammed by someone

4 someone is writing BS

3500 + 3500 = 7000

7000 + 3500 = 10500

Fair enough

1 If 7 days = THB 3500

2 overstayed 21 days

3 scammed by someone

4 someone is writing BS

Yes it does have immigration & customs & they are very strict.

1 If 7 days = THB 3500

2 overstayed 21 days

3 scammed by someone

4 someone is writing BS

Yes it does have immigration & customs & they are very strict.

Yes immigration is strict, I got detained because my passport got a little be wet during Songran. Some characters got a little runny. They stopped me when I was about to fly home and said do not attempt to come back with this passport, it will not be accepted.

Sorry but I have little sympathy for the three girls, who due to a "mix up" overstayed by 7 days, what "mix up" would that be then, difficulty with understanding the dates on the arrival card?

They were going on to Malaysia to continue their summer holidays, apparently with virtually no cash or working ATM cards, were they planning on busking then?

Seems they are just 3 scatter brains who have learnt a valuable lesson, pay attention and take responsibility for your own actions.

Illegal immigrants is what Europe is faced at the moment but the media so conveniently calls "asylum seekers".

In all fairness, these three kids might have not noticed the expiry stamp in their passports. This is wrong and, according to the local law, punishable with said fines. All OK so far. They outstayed their welcome and will never come back again - same for their friends and friends of friends - trust the vitality of the social networks on this one.

But what is it an airline's job on a domestic flight to scare them to death. It is the immigration (under the police and ultimately under the Ministry of Interior) to sort things out and not an airline (under the DCA and ultimately under the Ministry of Transportation).

The story will go viral and the TAT will have to use more flood pumps to blow up their fantastic figures of theirs.

Apply common sense - a commodity which is in complete absence in this country; regretfully!

A slap on the wrist with a smile would have done (thank- and grateful) wonders; now it seems that Thailand came in second - again, despite being on the(ir) correct side. How pathetic - considering the completely empty hotels and restaurants in Pattaya, Koh Chang and other Eastern seaboard tourism spots!

Illegal immigrants is what Europe is faced at the moment but the media so conveniently calls "asylum seekers".

In all fairness, these three kids might have not noticed the expiry stamp in their passports. This is wrong and, according to the local law, punishable with said fines. All OK so far. They outstayed their welcome and will never come back again - same for their friends and friends of friends - trust the vitality of the social networks on this one.

But what is it an airline's job on a domestic flight to scare them to death. It is the immigration (under the police and ultimately under the Ministry of Interior) to sort things out and not an airline (under the DCA and ultimately under the Ministry of Transportation).

The story will go viral and the TAT will have to use more flood pumps to blow up their fantastic figures of theirs.

Apply common sense - a commodity which is in complete absence in this country; regretfully!

A slap on the wrist with a smile would have done (thank- and grateful) wonders; now it seems that Thailand came in second - again, despite being on the(ir) correct side. How pathetic - considering the completely empty hotels and restaurants in Pattaya, Koh Chang and other Eastern seaboard tourism spots!

An overstay is an overstay no matter by whom or what season (empty hotels are irrelevant in this case ). A slap on the wrist may work on some people but would definitely gets abused by many others.

By the way, Koh Chang was never a very popular tourist destination, I came back from there about a week ago and it didn't look much emptier than during any other time I went there over the years. I certainly hope it would stay this way.

Also I'm in Pattaya at the moment and the place seems ok, can't say the hotels are completely empty since all these beer sucking dirty old men need to stay somewhere to be here. So get your facts straight.

1 If 7 days = THB 3500

2 overstayed 21 days

3 scammed by someone

4 someone is writing BS

Umm... there were three of them. 7 days @3,500 Baht x 3 people = 10,500 Baht. No rocket science there.

it was only 10 euros I think most of us would have done the same? good luck to them and don't be stupid next time? CHECK your visa is mandatory when travelling! glad they found their 'saviour' smile.png

Please, read before posting, and try to think...not easy I believe.

If the nice couple had covered the entire 10,500 baht this would be a worthy story of great kindness. And yes the 400 was also very nice, but maybe not a story for Thai Visa. I'm pretty sure most Canadians would have covered the 10,500 let-a-lone 400 baht.

The real story here is the strictness of the fine its self.

it was only 10 euros I think most of us would have done the same? good luck to them and don't be stupid next time? CHECK your visa is mandatory when travelling! glad they found their 'saviour' smile.png

Please, read before posting, and try to think...not easy I believe.

and how's that you sanctimonious ****?

They were short of TEN EUROS (400 Thai Baht) from the 10,500 they needed and that's what the couple gave them TEN EUROS

but I guess YOU did not read the WHOLE ARTICLE?

try to THINK? not easy I believe

Edited by LannaGuy

I did similar for an an american lass in tears during a stopover in Korea about 20 years ago. I'm glad no one wrote about it or posted it in a forum. Would have just had forum members with little else to do:

• not reading the post
  • not reading the full article
  • not knowing basic arithmetic
  • arguing and nit picking and calling each other names.

What a sad little enclave this is. I think I'll switch it off for a couple of months but I'll probably be back again because I might just be as sad as everyone else here.

Headline should read 'Three Irish students will think twice before taking a holiday in Thailand again'. How petty and cruel the red tape can be in this country. Hope this story is published in the Irish newspapers.

Overstay 7 days in Ireland and see what happens :rolleyes: At least Thailand will welcome you back again.

Sorry but I have little sympathy for the three girls, who due to a "mix up" overstayed by 7 days, what "mix up" would that be then, difficulty with understanding the dates on the arrival card?

They were going on to Malaysia to continue their summer holidays, apparently with virtually no cash or working ATM cards, were they planning on busking then?

Seems they are just 3 scatter brains who have learnt a valuable lesson, pay attention and take responsibility for your own actions.

You should read the Facebook posts...... always someone else's fault!

I felt like commenting that 3 girls in a distant country, going on to another country, couldn't rustle up 10,500 baht between them is ridiculous. That and not checking the stamp in their passports......... all 3 of them!

Edited by jacko45k

1 If 7 days = THB 3500

2 overstayed 21 days

3 scammed by someone

4 someone is writing BS

3500 + 3500 = 7000

7000 + 3500 = 10500

7 days x 3 people = 21 overstay days

21 x 500 Bath = 10 500 Bath

Headline should read 'Three Irish students will think twice before taking a holiday in Thailand again'. How petty and cruel the red tape can be in this country. Hope this story is published in the Irish newspapers.

And at Ireland, when a foreigner makes a 'mistake' and over stay the immigration will pat his back and say good bye and see you soon?

The logic of your post is totally incomprehensible.

bah.gif

Edited by ravip

Surat Thani International Airport certainly does have Immigration officers. http://www.suratthaniairport.com/flight-status-arrivals-departures

Poorly written story which has them flying to BKK - home, and to Malaysia to continue their holiday. It also seems that of 3 uni students, not one could read the departure stamps which clearly state UNTIL.

Some years ago, there was an Oz lad working a scam flights to Oz out of DMBKK, claiming he didn't have enough to pay the departure tax, and promising to post the money when he got home. Didn't like the suggestion he could hand over his watch as security. I saw him collect B500 from one mug, go away and come back 10 mins later for another go.

1 If 7 days = THB 3500

2 overstayed 21 days

3 scammed by someone

4 someone is writing BS

Can you not count.

3 girls × 3,500 = 10,500

Been here too long hmmm

I will answer your question, as you do not understand the rules that apply to ALL airlines.

- These 3 pax were on their way to Malaysia, connecting via Bangkok. Because the overstay was dealt with at the departure airport and not Bangkok, this indicates that the 3 pax were clearing immigration at the point of departure.

- An airline is responsible for verifying visa and passport validity of its international pax at departure. Some countries, have a simple check just to make sure that a pax has the appropriate travel documents. In other countries, the checks are more intense. For example, in Taiwan, EVA has a special passport and visa verification before North American destination pax can enter the departure holding area.

- Airlines that board pax without proper documents are assessed a penalty. In North America, I believe it is $10,000 per pax.

- My understanding is that Thailand's international airlines are required to verify travel documents as they will be fined for improperly documented pax.

There was nothing unusual or out of the ordinary with the airline checking.

What is unusual is that the Thai authorities would have not waived the difference. Something was very wrong and the immigration supervisor needs to be disciplined for allowing this to occur.

Edited by geriatrickid

Surat Thani International Airport certainly does have Immigration officers. http://www.suratthaniairport.com/flight-status-arrivals-departures

Poorly written story which has them flying to BKK - home, and to Malaysia to continue their holiday. It also seems that of 3 uni students, not one could read the departure stamps which clearly state UNTIL.

Some years ago, there was an Oz lad working a scam flights to Oz out of DMBKK, claiming he didn't have enough to pay the departure tax, and promising to post the money when he got home. Didn't like the suggestion he could hand over his watch as security. I saw him collect B500 from one mug, go away and come back 10 mins later for another go.

2 different groups of people, dopey.

1 If 7 days = THB 3500

2 overstayed 21 days

3 scammed by someone

4 someone is writing BS

Again, an ignorant person is heaving away before thinking.

First, 3 people with overstay 7 days equally amounts to 21 days, am I correct so far?

21 days times 500 THB is equal to 10 500THB.

Surathani International Airport MUST have immigration, otherwise it wouldn't be International,

1 someone is writing BS

1 Someone should probably think before start typing away.

And for me, I felt warm and fuzzy, not overly though, about the story.

For the Thai bashers, let's get some perspective here.

1. Very few visitors overstay their visas. A fine is quite reasonable for unintentional mistakes.

2. Why would my friend's error make me want to avoid Thailand (if I wanted to holiday for a couple of weeks and have no plan to deliberately overstay)?

3. If a Thai went to Ireland and exceeded their visa by 7 days, would his punishment be much different? And would that deter other law-abiding tourists (of whatever nationality) from visiting Ireland?

the dumb threesome should learn to read before go abroad and have some money in their pockets. fine was less then 100 euro's per person