Couple saves three Irish students from 'visa overstay' jail time in Thailand

webfact

The so called facts are rubbish. Been 3 1/2 weks in Thailand and fined Baht 10,500? That means they over stayed for 3 weeks. Does anyone in this world just get a visa or visa exempt for 1/2 week? NO THEY DONT

Only thing I can think of, and this has happened to me, is that the stamp in their passports had the wrong date. In my case immigration stamped my passport as arriving 2 months before I actually did. It was sorted out at the airport but it wasnt a nice experience.

If they have their tickets they can clearly see when they arrived in country

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry but I have little sympathy for the three girls, who due to a "mix up" overstayed by 7 days, what "mix up" would that be then, difficulty with understanding the dates on the arrival card?

They were going on to Malaysia to continue their summer holidays, apparently with virtually no cash or working ATM cards, were they planning on busking then?

Seems they are just 3 scatter brains who have learnt a valuable lesson, pay attention and take responsibility for your own actions.

I hate to say it, but those are the milder ones I've come across. Ppl begging on social media that they've rifled through their cash in less than half their trip. And in this day and age, there are still those that have no back up plan or alternate means of funds or contacts back home. Though, things do happen.

But what is it an airline's job on a domestic flight to scare them to death. It is the immigration (under the police and ultimately under the Ministry of Interior) to sort things out and not an airline (under the DCA and ultimately under the Ministry of Transportation).

I will answer your question, as you do not understand the rules that apply to ALL airlines.

- These 3 pax were on their way to Malaysia, connecting via Bangkok. Because the overstay was dealt with at the departure airport and not Bangkok, this indicates that the 3 pax were clearing immigration at the point of departure.

- An airline is responsible for verifying visa and passport validity of its international pax at departure. Some countries, have a simple check just to make sure that a pax has the appropriate travel documents. In other countries, the checks are more intense. For example, in Taiwan, EVA has a special passport and visa verification before North American destination pax can enter the departure holding area.

- Airlines that board pax without proper documents are assessed a penalty. In North America, I believe it is $10,000 per pax.

- My understanding is that Thailand's international airlines are required to verify travel documents as they will be fined for improperly documented pax.

There was nothing unusual or out of the ordinary with the airline checking.

What is unusual is that the Thai authorities would have not waived the difference. Something was very wrong and the immigration supervisor needs to be disciplined for allowing this to occur.

2 people going to bangkok and 3 people going to malaysia

So they went to Malaysia without a penny then?

Im one of those types who carries large amounts of credit over several cards in different wallets around with him incase of emergency, i dont think i could enjoy myself at all if i traveled like those students do, kudos to them

If the 3 girls owed 3,500bht each, but only had 10,000bht between them.

Only 1 girl was facing arrest ....... the other 2 had enough money.

But besides the factually incorrect title (3 girls face jail), pretty strange there wasn't room for negotiation on the fine.

Most male Thai officials I have encountered, would have thought of a way around the problem.

Headline should read 'Three Irish students will think twice before taking a holiday in Thailand again'. How petty and cruel the red tape can be in this country. Hope this story is published in the Irish newspapers.

it's clear to me which party is in the wrong here. petty and cruel? there are regulations set and penalties when they are violated. it's as simple as that. put yourself in the Immigration Bureau's shoes and show leniency to every other overstaying foreigner in Thailand (or for any country for that matter) and see what happens.

Headline should read 'Three Irish students will think twice before taking a holiday in Thailand again'. How petty and cruel the red tape can be in this country. Hope this story is published in the Irish newspapers.

Ridiculous comment.Every country in the world stamps passports with visa expiry dates. If you overstay its your fault and if you forget your not very clever!!

If immigrants or tourists overstay in an EU country they will be deported and blacklisted. At least Thailand is used to dealing with dim tourists and allow a small fine to be paid before continuing on your way...

Surat Thani International Airport certainly does have Immigration officers. http://www.suratthaniairport.com/flight-status-arrivals-departures

Poorly written story which has them flying to BKK - home, and to Malaysia to continue their holiday. It also seems that of 3 uni students, not one could read the departure stamps which clearly state UNTIL.

Some years ago, there was an Oz lad working a scam flights to Oz out of DMBKK, claiming he didn't have enough to pay the departure tax, and promising to post the money when he got home. Didn't like the suggestion he could hand over his watch as security. I saw him collect B500 from one mug, go away and come back 10 mins later for another go.

2 different groups of people, dopey.

My mistake!

I overstayed by 9 months because of a misunderstanding with my working visa. I did not realise it was automatically cancelled because I changed schools. The immigration department were very helpful and understanding. There were no threats and once I paid the maximum fine I was allowed to renew my visa....If you overstay you pay the fine simple as that... These girls are just scatterbrains who do not check anything

I did similar for an an american lass in tears during a stopover in Korea about 20 years ago. I'm glad no one wrote about it or posted it in a forum. Would have just had forum members with little else to do:

• not reading the post
  • not reading the full article
  • not knowing basic arithmetic
  • arguing and nit picking and calling each other names.
What a sad little enclave this is. I think I'll switch it off for a couple of months but I'll probably be back again because I might just be as sad as everyone else here.

+1 well said .

Does Surat Thani airport even have immigration, i dont think it does, why would they be fined there anyway, they were departing Thailand BKK, either badly reported or some BS being written

And 7 × 500 doesnt equal THB10500 BTW if it was genuine fine they overstayed 21 days

1 If 7 days = THB 3500

2 overstayed 21 days

3 scammed by someone

4 someone is writing BS

A few factual things wrong with this story

3 girls, 3500 bath each = ?

coffee1.gif

Does Surat Thani airport even have immigration, i dont think it does, why would they be fined there anyway, they were departing Thailand BKK, either badly reported or some BS being written

And 7 × 500 doesnt equal THB10500 BTW if it was genuine fine they overstayed 21 days

1 If 7 days = THB 3500

2 overstayed 21 days

3 scammed by someone

4 someone is writing BS

3500 x 3 = 10500! The story discusses 3 girls stranded? One fact sorted, eh!

The so called facts are rubbish. Been 3 1/2 weks in Thailand and fined Baht 10,500? That means they over stayed for 3 weeks. Does anyone in this world just get a visa or visa exempt for 1/2 week? NO THEY DONT

Only thing I can think of, and this has happened to me, is that the stamp in their passports had the wrong date. In my case immigration stamped my passport as arriving 2 months before I actually did. It was sorted out at the airport but it wasnt a nice experience.

If they have their tickets they can clearly see when they arrived in country

The people who met them had stayed 3 1/2 weeks - obviously the 3 students had stayed the allowed 30 plus 7 days if they used visa exempt entry. There is no question in this report that they had indeed overstayed there entry and were fully responsible for so doing.

Just something that makes things even more confusing:

ere’s a list with countries that do not need a visa when entering Thailand for tourism purposes for less than 30 days, according to Learn4good.com:

Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil*, Bahrain, Brunei Darussalam, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Iceland, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Republic of Korea*, Kuwait, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Oman, Peru*, Philippines, Portugal, Qatar, Singapore, Spain, South Africa, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States of America, Vietna.

Let's have a guess.

It was Party Time burp.gif and they thought this is Thailand and it doesn't matter, we'll just talk our way out, let's have another drunk.gif .

Seven days later.....

No sympathy.

I never met anybody who did not know what date the visa in the passport expired.

Pity Malaysia does not have a 20,000 Baht requirement to show funds to stay there.

To be honest, how on Earth did this story ever get published? Who is going to report it?

Most male Thai officials I have encountered, would have thought of a way around the problem

Well, I have seen that with my own eyes when Thai 'ladies' are involved. But suggesting the same 'solution' to a foreign woman might not be the best option cheesy.gif

It may also be an Irish thing - remember some 50 years ago meeting them in Frankfurt am Main, with little more than Irish luck to tide them over, during there school holidays. Students do travel with shoestring budgets. And in the cheap air travel of today that spreads them far and wide.

1 If 7 days = THB 3500

2 overstayed 21 days

3 scammed by someone

4 someone is writing BS

You last statement was the only thing correct. " A LOT of factual things wrong with YOUR story".

1 If 7 days = THB 3500

2 overstayed 21 days

3 scammed by someone

4 someone is writing BS

A few factual things wrong with this

Your reading comprehension needs a vast improvement.

1 If 7 days = THB 3500

2 overstayed 21 days

3 scammed by someone

4 someone is writing BS

Your last sentence is the only thing correct. There was a lot of factual things wrong with YOUR story.

I did similar for an an american lass in tears during a stopover in Korea about 20 years ago. I'm glad no one wrote about it or posted it in a forum. Would have just had forum members with little else to do:

• not reading the post
  • not reading the full article
  • not knowing basic arithmetic
  • arguing and nit picking and calling each other names.
What a sad little enclave this is. I think I'll switch it off for a couple of months but I'll probably be back again because I might just be as sad as everyone else here.

+1 well said .

+2 Yep, that defines 90% of the dross posted.

It should be made more difficult to post.

For example a random 6 character "Captcha" to be typed each time would stop a good few posts. I suggest two.

- Is your post relevent and making a positive contribution to this thread? 6 character Captcha #1.

- Please confirm you want to post this? 6 character Captcha #2.

it was only 10 euros I think most of us would have done the same? good luck to them and don't be stupid next time? CHECK your visa is mandatory when travelling! glad they found their 'saviour' smile.png

" CHECK your visa is mandatory when travelling! "

I agree they should have been more careful, but checking the visa might have been the cause of the problem. The visa expiry date has nothing to do with their stay in Thailand. The only thing that matters is the "must leave by" date on the immigration's permission to stay stamp they got when entering the country.

Many people confuse the "use by" date printed on the visa sticker they got at an embassy or consulate and the "must leave by" date stamped in their passport by immigrations. Overstay is determined by the latter not the former.

Are you saying Baht 10,500 is € 10 ?

Edited by Suradit69

Surat Thani International Airport certainly does have Immigration officers. http://www.suratthaniairport.com/flight-status-arrivals-departures

Poorly written story which has them flying to BKK - home, and to Malaysia to continue their holiday. It also seems that of 3 uni students, not one could read the departure stamps which clearly state UNTIL.

Some years ago, there was an Oz lad working a scam flights to Oz out of DMBKK, claiming he didn't have enough to pay the departure tax, and promising to post the money when he got home. Didn't like the suggestion he could hand over his watch as security. I saw him collect B500 from one mug, go away and come back 10 mins later for another go.

Before you have a shot at the journo,re-read the story,slowly.