Getting infections from insect bites

Kenny202

Living up country here for 12 months and while our area doesn't have a lot of mosquitos I do find when I get a bite, it gets irritated and ultimately end up getting

an infection. Never been prone to infections back home from wounds etc. Probably aggravate it more by scratching and seems to help if you can keep a wound dry but thats next to impossible. Starts off as a bite, then nearly ends up like a small ulcer / crater in the skin. Have been cleaning with Betadine than an antibiotic ointment per pharmacy but can take over a month to heal up properly. We have been told its because of the Malangwie (swarms of little minute fly). Anyone have similar issues?

Know a treatment?

I carry antibiotic cream with pain reliever form the States. The pain reliever might calm down an itch. Works great. Thailand does not have antibiotic cream as near as I can figure.

Betadine is antibacterial. Not quite the same.

It is antibiotic cream and is made in China. Problem is trying to get the cream in the wound. A lot of the time the wound on the outside will heal up close over, but underneath is the infection.

My son had that problem as a child. We found if we gave him Vitamin B6 (or was it B12? - Google it for the correct one) the mossies,midges left him alone completely. It takes about 3 weeks to get into your system sufficiently but then your skin emits an odour not noticeable to humans but offensive to insects

Celluitus, Erysipalus,

probably caused by one of your family being a 'strep' bacteria carrier.

lives in their nasal passage, then they rub their nose, and touch stuff.

You touch the stuff then touch the bite = infected.

Hard to shift, common in hospitals worldwide, spread by infected staff.

You,

Learning not to touch or scratch your bites can ease the problem.

Cleaning door handles and other objects touched often with antibacterials or mild bleach.

Everyone else,

Up-rate personal hygiene, wash hands frequently with antibacterial soaps.

Infections like this respond better to antibiotics taken internally and externally at the same time.

(broad band that are effective against strep bacteria, cipro or something like it)

Absolutely rife in many Thai villages, my wife's village has it, if my family visit, they will all get skin infections similar to yours.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Celluitus, Erysipalus,

probably caused by one of your family being a 'strep' bacteria carrier.

lives in their nasal passage, then they rub their nose, and touch stuff.

You touch the stuff then touch the bite = infected.

Hard to shift, common in hospitals worldwide, spread by infected staff.

You,

Learning not to touch or scratch your bites can ease the problem.

Cleaning door handles and other objects touched often with antibacterials or mild bleach.

Everyone else,

Up-rate personal hygiene, wash hands frequently with antibacterial soaps.

Infections like this respond better to antibiotics taken internally and externally at the same time.

(broad band that are effective against strep bacteria, cipro or something like it)

Absolutely rife in many Thai villages, my wife's village has it, if my family visit, they will all get skin infections similar to yours.

Always follow this advice particularly germicidal soap and not touching door handles. Here the norm in the toilet is water and ladle, no paper and usually no soap. So someone goes in, washes their bum with soap and I assume their fingers. Then places the ladle back for use, with their fingers for the next person. (Lucky them). Then grab the door handle and open the door. I try not to think about it too much as I eat in village "restaurants" everyday. In 3 years I never been sick though

Cavé!...When you decide to use an antibiotic, be aware of the fact that the infection under your skin might be "anaerobic" and antibiotics for the treatment of aerobic infections will bring no harm here. So you might have to use one of the first kind, clindamycine or lincomycine do fit to fight those infections. Make sure that you use the right dosage: should be 1200 mg/day (either in capsule or injection form) for at least 4 days but no more than one week. And also go to see a doctor. wai2.gif

If something is taking a month or more to heal you may have an issue with diabetes. For many, this is the way they eventually get diagnosed, either slow wound healing or eye problems. And you don't have to be overweight for you to be diabetic. but if you are overweight certainly a higher probability of issues.

As far as bites getting infected, this should not happen routinely, it means either you are not being bitten by mozzies but something else -- or-- your immune system is not up to snuff. Get you blood sugar tested to be sure.

It is not likely strep, it is not likely cellulitis, it is not likely erysipelas. It is most likely staph, which is also normal flora- considerably resident on your own skin (Staph A). It is highly unlikely this is carries by the insects as this response seems a bit unique to how you are responding. Shower, wash, repeatedly, you will still have staph resident on your skin. In fact, your entire body has many billions of various bugs- normal. Why are you having a response like this?

I am less sure the treatment is the info you need rather the prevention. If it were me I would carry alcohol pads or antiseptic swipes (in addition to repellant) and whenever I felt a bite I would first swipe them clean. Ensure your nails are trimmed and not cutting the surface much when you scratch, then otherwise exactly what you are doing.

Edit: Do not use clindamycin for a skin infection, please. If you are to the point where you imagine you need to treat an anaerobic microbe please see a doctor. If you are going to take any oral antibiotic and you do not know with great certainly the nature of the organism, wrights gram stain negative of positive, then see a doctor. Ensure you have no allergies before taking oral meds. Remember, the skin is mechanical. It is fully capable with the immune system of destroying just about anything that gets to it. So, the first likely explanation would be something regarding you, not the power of the bites themselves.

Edited by arjunadawn

I carry antibiotic cream with pain reliever form the States. The pain reliever might calm down an itch. Works great. Thailand does not have antibiotic cream as near as I can figure.

Quadriderm is similar to Neosporin in the sates.

See a doctor.

Last week I got an unsightly, itchy rash on my cheek and upper lip and bought some antihistamine cream from the pharmacy. Everone was telling me it's allergic reaction. Eventually this week Monday I saw a dermatologist. He gave it one look and told me it was an insect bite. Not infected, but unsightly. Gave me a cream (sorry, haven't got it with me and don't know the name), and it's getting better now.

He showed me a specimen of the culprit, a tiny little critter living on trees. Looks a bit like a centipede but very tiny.

Good luck...

You can buy antibiotic creams in any pharmacy in Bangkok.

Nano-Silver is excellent, as is plain old Baking Soda alternated with honey and or coconut oil. True, you may have an underlying problem with blood circulation (diabetes) or immune depression. The Thais have excellent natural remedies such as their tooth powders and anti-biotic powders. Have used them successfully on many occasions. Good luck.

Hi Kenny,

Your obviously getting infections because of the scratching, which opens the bite and even water from showers can then cause an infection. In Thailand it's important to keep any infection dry.

Once bitten, to stop the itching I recommend 'Systral ', which is an antihistaminic and anti allergic cream with a cooling effect,

that takes the itching away within minutes, available at a pharmacy.

If you do scratch and open the skin use 'Fucidin' which is an antibiotic cream, again available at a pharmacy, or

'Quadriderm', an anti inflammatory, anti bacterial, anti fungal cream that I've found very good.

Many Thais eat garlic daily, which they swear keeps the mossies' away (as well as Vampires).

Edited by Faz

Keep up the B group vitamins, cut down on sugar, this seems to keep the mozzies away. White vinegar smells a bit but stops all itches. Any infections from scatching can be fixed by taking a teaspoon full of nutmeg mixed in any drinking liquid to mask the taste a bit, I use milk. Take for 5 days in a row and all will be fixed. This goes for any cut or wound thats not healing up as it should.

Bactafect ointment (antibacterial) is available here at most pharmacies as is Bactroban. Fucicort is also a cream with a topical antibacterial action as well as a corticosteroid addition which will help with inflammation.

Scratching the bite is quite likely to be the event which started the infection because of the normal bacteria which lives on our skin and also because there is a whole load of bacteria under our fingernails.

Betadine is okay for cuts/grazes and bites etc and for applying for a few days afterwards (there is a cream as well as a liquid) however it has been shown that constant use of this actually delays the healing process and can cause skin around the wound to die off. Sure it is used prior to surgical procedures, but not constantly used after that.

You don't need to go on to oral antibiotics unless you get a severe/deep infection (as I did, swelling my calf up to about twice its normal size) and then a visit to the hospital must be on the cards.

I live I a village and people here seem to think it's a common thing. Swimming in klong water and being exposed to town water (klong water) probably not a good thing. People here seem to think melangwie insects here go in any sort of wound and lay eggs or whatever causing secondary infection

Anywhere in the tropics it is best to keep the wound as dry as you can.

However...that may be nearly impossible.With slow healing wounds that

are not infected it is a good idea to have yourselfchecked for diabetes and

ifthe wound is infected do get yourself checked, if for nothing else than

peace of mind/early detection.

I always keep Quadriderm on hand as it is antibacterial, antifungal,

anti inflamatory and anti itch. It works good for me when needed.

Plus try the soap in the picture...commonly known as "farm soap".

Do not get it in your eyes...seriously. Just don't let that happen.

Wash the wound with hot water and this soap. How hot the water?

How hot can you take it? The hotter the better.

Apply a small blob of Quadriderm & rub till it nearly disappears.

Dress the wound with a gauze bandage...not a plaster/bandaid.

Repeat the wash & dressing change at least twice a day and always

before sleeping.

If it still takes a long time...more than 10 days or gets worse...go

to hospital.

post-146250-0-38813000-1437026911_thumb.

post-146250-0-61307400-1437026928_thumb.

Hi Kenny202,if you one of those unfortunate people that the insects/mosquitos sand flied (call them what you like) who just love to lay in ambush just waiting for you/me to walk by or sit in the area and love nothing better to fest on your/my body in the mornings and late afternoons. YOU have my full sympathy and then the itching starts for the next 48 hours. I hear the call of don't scatch it, if only.

I remember at night in my sleep scratch the hell out of the bites on my ankles. (Scares all over who needs tattoos)

I have developed a route when I have been bitten which is every other day. Each morning after shower put on Soffell Mosquito Repellent Liquard Spray, its comes in a pink plastic container from 7 Eleven on my ankles ect to prevent more bites. If I forget I pay the price.

In the shower I use Dettol soap with the nylon scrubber from Tecos pharmacy looks like a small bush various bright colours sorry forgot the name and gently scrubber the itchy areas.

During the day if the itch is bad I put old fashion Cadramine Lotion stops the itch dead in its tracks no need for secondary infestion from ones nail.

If I can make through the first 48 hours without scatching then I am home and hosed.

Additional treatment I use Betadine Solution which comes in the small plastic bottles.

When I am oversea working I take them all with me as I said the bloody insects just love me.

In the evening I give a light insect spray in the house to give them a hurry up, the whole family seems to benefit with less bites all round.

There you have my thoughts I hope its of some assistance.

Happy days

Unfortunately yes, an itching bite of some kind on my foot last year, and I scratched and waited too long getting pro assistance, so ended up with a really bad infection, and in hospital for a few days with antibiotic drop – my first timer ever being hospitalized – at that point my foot was beginning to get blue and black, so I was little worried if they had to cut something...sad.png

Before that, I had tried with more soft and natural relief (herbs, B-vitamins, honey – you name it), and after a (long) while also antibiotic cure as pills from the pharmacist, first one, then another, but that didn’t work either. At hospital they did a bacteria lab test. When released after 3 nights I should finalize the cure with pills. That worked, but after a while I got a fallback – might not have got rid of all infection – so I went to pharmacy to buy one more antibiotic doze of pills; honestly, I did not want to spend extra money for overpriced hospital doctor and medicine, however cannot complain at all about their excellent service. The pharmacy did not have the same brand, but an equivalent similar, that also were very cheap, named Cephalex (from Bangkok Lab & Cosmetic Co. Ltd.), “Cephalexin (as monohydrate) 500 mg.”; 1 tablet 3 times a day (or 2 tablets of 750 mg.). Not all pharmacists seem to have them – my usual pharmacist, who originally prescribed me the other drugs that did not work – don’t have it. Think it’s a fairly broad banded antibiotic, but not sure if it’s good to self-medicate...whistling.gif

The wound healed up nicely and that did not take that long time after the professional doctors at the hospital took over. Their cure was cleaning with Betadine first (lots), and then Saline. Put some small Plume Swabs soaked in Saline on top of the wound (in my case half the foot), and a bandage around. When I got rid of bandage I should use an antiseptic cream, Betamethasone-N (from GPO, costs ca. 80 bath for 15 gram); Fungiderm and Quadridrem may also work, but they contain less Betamethasone. The doctor said, that keeping the wound wet, made it heal up quickly – and he was right – whilst my fault seemed to have been to let the wound dry and get air; so I learned something, for next time that hopefully never will be...thumbsup.gif

A Thai friend ended later up at hospital (another than me), and when visiting him I found out that he has a similar bad infection from an insect bite on his one foot and was giving antibiotic drop – so infections from bites seem not to be uncommon; however I don’t know if it’s the same as yours, OP, as I never found out what little creature had decided to dine from my foot...biggrin.png

My son had that problem as a child. We found if we gave him Vitamin B6 (or was it B12? - Google it for the correct one) the mossies,midges left him alone completely. It takes about 3 weeks to get into your system sufficiently but then your skin emits an odour not noticeable to humans but offensive to insects

Hello folks I am back for a while. NOW I agree with this lady ... As a Doctor and I am sure Sheryl and others will know of this research, HIGH CONCENTRATIONS of formulated Vitamin B will emit an odor through your skin that INSECTS HATE. My recommendation is if you constantly get infections from bites treat the CAUSE and not treat when you have the problems - PREVENTION is better than cure.

Now a very simple PREVENTION is go to your local supermarket or pharmacy and but BEROCCA - I recommend this as it is from ROCHE and is dissolved, because too much Vit B laying in your tummy is not a good thing. You will pee yellow as this is the excess coming out

A tablet a day will keep the bugs at bay

AND if you have an infection I WOULD CERTAINLY AVOID treating yourself with antibiotics - NO NO NO!!!! you will end up with other symptoms and who knows where it may end. Also you will kill the nice friendly bacteria in your gut that we all need and you will need to have that rectified and so the list goes on

USE TEA TREE OIL!!! You can even buy it at BIG C. So get some, rub it on and it is a NATURAL anti bacterial agent and will do just fine

NOW in all this information I want to stress - IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM that persists for a few days PLEASE SEE YOU DOCTOR and I mean GO! FAST! These suggestions are for MINOR ailments and not big nasty red itches or pussy sores!

Lovingly - Khun Marcus.

These suggestions are for MINOR ailments and not big nasty red itches or pussy sores!

Lovingly - Khun Marcus.

I don't have a pussy? Good advice about avoiding a pussy with sores though. Worse and harder to get rid of than an insect bite IMHO :-)

Use Coconut Oil on insect Bites

The ichyness goes away in a few minutes

and Coconut Oil has natural healing properties

I would also recommend pure aloe vera gel that you can buy at most pharmacies and health stores. It will heal the skin a lot quicker after insect bites or other skin damage. .