Thai PM stays mum on Cabinet reshuffle

webfact

Premier stays mum on Cabinet reshuffle
THE NATION

PRAYUT BLAMES MEDIA FOR SPECULATION ON SHAKE-UP, TIPPED FOR SEPTEMBER

BANGKOK: -- PRIME MINISTER Prayut Chan-o-cha yesterday refused to confirm or deny speculation of a major Cabinet shake-up soon.

He blamed the mass media for the speculation. But when asked if he would actually reshuffle his Cabinet, the prime minister replied: "I don't know."

Prayut told reporters yesterday on the sidelines of the "Thailand Competitiveness Conference" that he would not answer questions about politics.

However, a source close to the Cabinet said yesterday that a major reshuffle in Prayut's government would take place in September, with the changes mostly affecting economic ministers.

Rumours are rife

Deputy Prime Minister MR Pridiyathorn Devakula yesterday said speculation of a Cabinet reshuffle had continued for some time.

One of the recent rumours was that a person with the initial W would be appointed to the government's economic team. Pridiyathorn said the prime minister told him he was unaware who that person was.

Deputy PM and Defence Minister Prawit Wongsuwan said the prime minister would have the final say as to whether the Cabinet should be reshuffled.

He did not rule out speculation that former finance minister Somkid Jatusripitak, who had completed a five-year ban from politics, would join the Cabinet. "That depends on the situation."

Speculation of changes in the Cabinet line-up has become intense after an amendment to the post-coup provisional constitution. The amendment in effect removes a ban on former office holders previously deprived of their political rights from serving as Cabinet members.

Meanwhile, with the amendment to the interim charter becoming effective, the National Reform Council will have more time to complete its mission.

Alongkorn Ponlaboot, secretary to the NRC whips, said the council's voting on the draft constitution would take place in the first week of September.

NRC president Thienchay Kirananda has scheduled August 11 for the council's blueprint on national reform to be announced publicly and to be submitted to the government, according to Alongkorn.

Meanwhile, in Pattaya, where the Constitution Drafting Committee is giving the final touches to the draft charter, chief drafter Borwornsak Uwanno said yesterday that he wanted to use the maximum 30 days the amended interim charter allows the CDC to extend the deadline for completing its work.

"We should extend the deadline to the fullest extent allowed. This is to make sure that the details of the draft constitution will be carefully considered," he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Premier-stays-mum-on-Cabinet-reshuffle-30264618.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-07-17

He did not rule out speculation that former finance minister Somkid Jatusripitak, who had completed a five-year ban from politics, would join the Cabinet. "That depends on the situation."

To be honest, I don't recall this guy, and I can't be bothered to research him. I don't believe that recycling banned politicians, from any party, is an acceptable method of achieving reform.

The "reshuffle" is an excellent illustration of blatant cronyism, special privilege and corruption.

Yes give everyone a turn but there'a danger removing military personnel who supported the coup as they have the ability to cause problems if they feel aggrieved.

Despite his past political affiliations, Somkid Jatusripitak has excellent economic credentials. Replacing some of his stone-age thinking army cronies with more talented, experienced outsiders would be a good move by the PM (provided of course he is prepared to listen to them).

Edited by bangkokfrog

Somkid, mastermind behind Thaksinomics, populist policies, OTOP, small enterprise funds and growth of the agriculture sectors. If the rumour is true, that would make Prayuth eat lots of humble pies as he opposes just about all of the above.

To be honest, I don't recall this guy, and I can't be bothered to research him. I don't believe that recycling banned politicians, from any party, is an acceptable method of achieving reform.

You are absolutely right...it isn't, but it's a great way to strengthen the current government in gaining a strangle hold on their position.

Lots of shady moves being made. I'm beginning to seriously wonder if their will ever be an election.

It's non elected military self appointed ...why is it an issue ?

Pretend PM changes pretend minister to new position .....like its a real government?

The media got used to the constant re-shuffling of ministers in the PTP cabinet. Thaksin has to ensure all got turns at the trough. It was funny the time he forgot to tell Yingluck and she kept denying it right up till it was announced; then claimed she's "handpicked" them all herself. What a wheeze.

Only Shin apologists like to pretend it's not a real government. Like they like to pretend Thaksin is innocent and the Shins are democratic.

Prayut is about to turn to Thaksinomics...gives you a hint about the effectiveness of the junta.

What? You think he's going to increase the Shin family wealth by incredible % gains? Surely not?

That's the basis of Thaksinomics isn't it? Seems like the result.