AB blood type is needed.

Thai-Aust

I think there is an upper age limit in Thailand for donating blood, at 65 I was told "too old" somebody else at 57 was told the same.

According to the Thai Red Cross, you can donate up until you're 75 (if I can remember it correctly) provided you've been donating for all your life. Otherwise the maximum age is 55 if you're first timer.

What they need I assume is a list of potential donors. No point in a lot of people giving blood together, it only has shelf life of approximately two weeks before is cannot be used for transfusions. After that it is separated and the various products used for different things.

I'm A+ so can donate but live near Surat Thani - long way from the kid - can the blood if I donate be sent from hospital to hospital?

There won't be any need for that, as A+ blood is widely available in Thailand.

Aside from that, a person with blood type AB+ can receive blood of any other type. Only when it comes to the transfusion of blood plasma would a person with AB blood type be limited to receiving AB plasma.

Sources: http://thebloodconnection.org/about-blood/blood-education/blood-types/ and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_type

AB+ can receive blood from anyone. AB- can only receive blood from Rh negative groups.

Donors aged 17-70 according to Thai Red Cross BKK.

I am O Rh-, and only live 150 km from Saraburi. Unfortunately certain health matters mean I no longer qualify to be a donor.

Check out Red Cross Bangkok for excluded medical conditions.

I hope the little girl gets the blood she needs.

AB+ can receive blood from anyone. AB- can only receive blood from Rh negative groups.

Donors aged 17-70 according to Thai Red Cross BKK.

I am O Rh-, and only live 150 km from Saraburi. Unfortunately certain health matters mean I no longer qualify to be a donor.

Check out Red Cross Bangkok for excluded medical conditions.

I hope the little girl gets the blood she needs.

It seems a case of the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. My wife rang an hospital last week in connection with an Italian guy who was seeking O Neg immediately, as an O Neg donor myself I felt surprised when they said I was too old at 65. Other people have rang up and they were told they are too old at 57, what their parameters are I just don't know, but they must be different to the red cross, very confusing.

I'm not that good in biology and science but I do know that if the girl has AB, she can accept any blood type. So what am I missing here?

What you are missing is that you are wrong

Sorry Chilli.

AB+ is universal recipient as MB indicates.

See chart above.

RE: OP.

AB+ & AB- are blood-types.

AB: indeterminate nomenclature..

Edited by papa al

At the moment we do not know whether the patient has blood type AB+ or AB- and for this reason we do not know what type of blood she can receive. The information in the OP is incomplete.

I just talked to the school principal (finally) and was told the 9 y.o. girl now had been discharged home but will have to come to the hospital for further treatments. She needed AB+ which is widely available in Thailand. When the first post was circulated to the public she sure needed a lot of blood Platelets. She had undergone chemo-therapies.

As someone said earlier, people going through this kind of treatment will need a lot of blood from many donors. I will ask the moderators to delete the attachment and the school's contact details as it's no longer urgent.

Sadly I was also told that she came from a poor family. But the prognosis is good due to her young age.

Thank you so much for all your kindness.