Health Department to reduce rate of obesity among Thai children

webfact

They want to regulate the sale of alcohol in close proximity to universities; they might well turn their attention to the disgraceful crap being sold near, indeed IN , schools...sugar laden junk of the worst order....aided and abetted by unrelenting advertising aimed at youngsters

The next ten years... I can hardly wait. They want the men to taller and IQs to be brighter... sometime in the next ten years. Not a chance with morons like that in power. They can't teach or do what they don't know.

very easy to do.

stop selling all those 5 baths juices, pastries 200% sugar , palm oil, mamas and similar, all those funny botlles of fish or mushrooms or what ever flavoured .....and fast every thing you can find in a cheap supermarket...!blink.png like mine!...i know i sell rabish only, but thats the only thing people want to buy.

education is the key, but not from me because they ear....yes but never listen to a farang....

a smile is the answerd to a real problemcoffee1.gif

Edited by VINCENT2012

Ok Madame sports minister, here is a real job waiting for you to taggle.

I know madame, that does not bring in any money, and you can't play with your figures anymore.

Let's see we are all wrong about you.

The world food system, not to mention the design of urban life, is set up to produce obese humans. Also to produce huge profits for agribusiness, pharmaceutical, and health care companies.

We need more vegetables and more variety of them, fewer processed grains. Less palm oil, of course. Lower levels of meat consumption in the West (not just for health, but also for environmental reasons). Less stress and more physical play and activity. More workplaces accepting of the need to exercise and move around (less desk-sitting). Of course the grain merchants who make billions trading wheat, rice, and corn, and the sugar lobby, may have to relinquish their substantial subsidies or accept diminished levels of government support the world over...

And readers may want to look into the difference in glycemic index between brown basmati rice and hom mali (hurts me to say this-- I love brown hom mali)....

Edited by DeepInTheForest

Focus on SUGAR.

If they're serious (doubtful) they really have to get the PARENTS involved as well. Parents want the best but they often don't know about nutrition issues. If a child becomes obese, scientists know the chances are very high you get an obese adult, with very small chance of reversing that.

People blaming this all on morality and free choice are missing the reality of how insidious this problem is. It is a very complex problem and yes the best bang for the baht is PREVENTION in childhood.

Thailand fixes the price domestically. They actually cheapen sugar. Amazing thailand

Thailand is far from unique in this regard. Brazil and the US heavily subsidize their sugar farmers and industries. (They actually cheapen sugar. Amazing Brazil! Amazing USA! Amazing EU!)

The EU moved towards removing subsidies in 2005, thanks to a WTO ruling-- but they are now set to come storming back.

Under fierce lobbying pressure from multinational sugar processors – Coca-Cola, Nestlé, Mars – the EU argues that the reform is made in the spirit of freer markets and better value for the European shopper. (The market will remain, more free for some than others, however. Beet sugar grown intensively on rotation on European farms will, under the new arrangement, still be subsidised by every taxpayer on the continent at around £18 per tonne.)

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/feb/21/jamaican-farmers-bleak-future-eu-sugar-beet-production-cap

Britain established the sugar cane industry in former colonies, where it was interwoven with the slave trade. In recent years those countries were encouraged to enter the sugar market to gain foreign exchange, as Thailand has done. In 2017 a "reform" of the ag regulations means that a cap on Euro production of sugar beets will be lifted. Since Euro grower receive a per-hectare subsidy-- which places like Malawi cannot afford. This change is expected to threaten 200,000 smallholders with dire economic consequences.

http://www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/fairtrade-partner-zone/2015/feb/27/why-businesses-should-stand-by-the-sugar-farmers-failed-by-the-eu

The attempt in Thailand to move farmers from rice to sugar cane is thoroughly depressing. Surely there are better export crops that could be considered, given that there is a world glut of sugar that shows no signs of abating, and the undeniable health effects. Can't the Thais, Malawians, and Jamaicans somehow find a better crop(s) to grow and export? In a better world, there would be ag extension help for them, and a world ag regime conducive to fairness to help them along.

http://www.farmpolicyfacts.org/2015/06/un-thai-ing-the-global-sugar-subsidy-mess/

http://www.ussugar.com/SugarNews/TheSugarBeatVol1Iss122.pdf

Edited by DeepInTheForest

"The department is aiming to reduce child obesity by 0.5 percent over the next ten years. It also aims to maintain the obesity rate among young children at no more than 9.9 percent per year. Besides obesity, the department has set other youth-oriented goals, such as increasing the average height of female and male students to 165 cm and 175 cm, and their average IQ to above 100."

Increasing the average height??? - This is one of their goals??? What are they on these people?

Obesity - tackle it, good idea. IQ - work on that, good idea. But increased height, how can that be something you need to achieve as a goal?? And why??

The mind boggles, I wonder what strategies they plan to use to achieve that 'goal'.

Personally, I like 'em . . . errr . . . small.

The first place to start with this project, would be to ban ALL the fried chicken stalls from inside the School grounds, along with the selling of all the over sugared drinks and snacks also on sale.

Also do something about the midday meals served to the children ( Que Jamie Oliver )

All the parents that are too lazy to give their offspring decent food before school, will be happy knowing their children face only one option whilst at school.

Stop treating KFC, McD's etc as a treat for the kids would be a good start...

Occasional treats, as those mentioned, may not be major causes of obesity in Thailand. The mentioned businesses are convenient targets, perhaps due to their flashy logos and stationary locations. One can easily overlook the proliferation of vendors that sell sugary drinks, ice cremes, chips, crisps, fried foods and other "unhealthy" snacks.

A example is the collection of vendors that congregate outside of the school gate in Pattaya at the corner of Pattaya Tai (South Road) and Second Road. When school lets out it's a feeding frenzy as the kids dive into the trough of sugary drinks, candy, ice creme, fried food, etc.

Freedom of choice is a wonderful thing. We can all eat ourselves into oblivion if we choose. It seems these children have that same option, perhaps with their parents blessings.

First off they will have to close all the 7-11 stores. You can see the fat oozing out of it as mothers take their kids their to fatten up before school. Soft drinks and sweets, spoiled fat, or spoiled rotten.

7-11, Family Marts, etc. are the neighborhood grocery stores it seems. They sell much more than junk food, which I agree takes up most of the shelf space.

I buy eggs, bread, some veggies and others items on occasion. Advocating the outright closure of these legitimate business seems unlikely.

As for spoiled fat and spoiled rotten comment. That description could apply to some foreigners as well.

"I sat in a bar looking into the mirror ahead. I spotted some old geezer, unshaven, unkempt and overweight. I sneered at him and then realized it was my own image I was looking at".

In there dreams! Junk food is everywhere in Thailand!

Just check the lineups at KFC food counter. I buy a 10 baht cone there twice a week and have to queue up. Its amazing to see all the money these kids have in their wallet. Some days I feel like a real piker buying a 10 baht cone while these kids are buying items that are loaded with calories and many times the price of my cone. In my 5 years here (I sit at KSK eating my cone and watching the world go by) I have seen a steady increase in the obesity of young people. I can still remember my grandparents they never had a ounce of fat on their bodies and they lived to a ripe old age. I guess the hospitals will have to buy bigger beds in the future the near future.

Edited by elgordo38

I wonder if anyone actually has confidence that the government here will take this growing problem seriously enough to take the aggressive action needed to ACTUALLY reverse it.

I don't.

But they aren't alone.

Most countries with this problem aren't doing enough.

Only a few countries have taken aggressive action.

One is Mexico but they have too many even more pressing problems, so maybe not a good example.

Edited by Jingthing

Interesting article today on BBC website about just how hard it is for the obese to return to a healthy weight.

Over the period of a year 1 in 210 men and 1 in 124 women actually achieved this.

The figures did vary according to type of obesity though so maybe it is possible for children to achieve more.

Unfortunately, once a fat cell exists it never goes away without liposuction, so even if it gets smaller through eating healthy, eat too much and it expands again.

Focus on SUGAR.

If they're serious (doubtful) they really have to get the PARENTS involved as well. Parents want the best but they often don't know about nutrition issues. If a child becomes obese, scientists know the chances are very high you get an obese adult, with very small chance of reversing that.

People blaming this all on morality and free choice are missing the reality of how insidious this problem is. It is a very complex problem and yes the best bang for the baht is PREVENTION in childhood.

Thailand fixes the price domestically. They actually cheapen sugar. Amazing thailand

Thailand is far from unique in this regard. Brazil and the US heavily subsidize their sugar farmers and industries. (They actually cheapen sugar. Amazing Brazil! Amazing USA! Amazing EU!)

The EU moved towards removing subsidies in 2005, thanks to a WTO ruling-- but they are now set to come storming back.

Under fierce lobbying pressure from multinational sugar processors – Coca-Cola, Nestlé, Mars – the EU argues that the reform is made in the spirit of freer markets and better value for the European shopper. (The market will remain, more free for some than others, however. Beet sugar grown intensively on rotation on European farms will, under the new arrangement, still be subsidised by every taxpayer on the continent at around £18 per tonne.)

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/feb/21/jamaican-farmers-bleak-future-eu-sugar-beet-production-cap

Britain established the sugar cane industry in former colonies, where it was interwoven with the slave trade. In recent years those countries were encouraged to enter the sugar market to gain foreign exchange, as Thailand has done. In 2017 a "reform" of the ag regulations means that a cap on Euro production of sugar beets will be lifted. Since Euro grower receive a per-hectare subsidy-- which places like Malawi cannot afford. This change is expected to threaten 200,000 smallholders with dire economic consequences.

http://www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/fairtrade-partner-zone/2015/feb/27/why-businesses-should-stand-by-the-sugar-farmers-failed-by-the-eu

The attempt in Thailand to move farmers from rice to sugar cane is thoroughly depressing. Surely there are better export crops that could be considered, given that there is a world glut of sugar that shows no signs of abating, and the undeniable health effects. Can't the Thais, Malawians, and Jamaicans somehow find a better crop(s) to grow and export? In a better world, there would be ag extension help for them, and a world ag regime conducive to fairness to help them along.

http://www.farmpolicyfacts.org/2015/06/un-thai-ing-the-global-sugar-subsidy-mess/

http://www.ussugar.com/SugarNews/TheSugarBeatVol1Iss122.pdf

Not the retail price on the street. That is a very different t issue. Sugar in Thailand is counted as a staple along with eggs and rice and the ex factory price is set below the world price.

That is the difference.

Judging but what I see and hear, Thai people don't have a clue about healthy eating.

I have always said, Thai Food is heavily Sugared and if not it's the Salt content too...

YOU CAN EAT HEALTHY HERE IN thailand but the healthy restaurants are few and far between...

Thai Tea and Thai Coffee......., has to be the most gross drink I have drank.......

But that's me.....

Zero point five percent.

0.5%

A reduction by that amount is NEGLIGIBLE!!!!! It's not a goal, it's a statistical nothing. Nada. Mai mee arai.

As JT has said, focus on sugar.

But also focus on psychology. Get Thai people into the frame of mind that it is OK to tell a food vendor, "Your food is nice, but it would be nicer if you did not add so much sugar to everything".

While constructive criticism remains unspoken, Thai will continue to accept whatever is dished up to them. Meanwhile, the cooks all think, "My food is nice because people still buy it"...never knowing that people just don't advise that they put too much sugar in.

and then the buyers of the food sprinkle more sugar on it, we have all seen the sugar as a condiment with the dried chilli and all.