EU tells Thailand more to do on illegal fishing: official

webfact

"The Minister of Agriculture and Cooperatives, Petipong Pungbun Na Ayudhya, has revealed the eradication progress of the Illegal, unreported and unregulated (IUU) fishing by the Thai authorities, stating that positive progress has resulted from the many measures utilized, such as the establishment of new laws and the national plan to eradicate IUU fishing. The government will be discussing with representatives of the European Union further on any extra measures required to lift the countrys status."

I've got one measure that is required....enforce the laws.

The discussion is based on "how do we get away with things" rather than understanding or an attempt to understand that what they are doing is wrong. Staus and face is all that counts. SICK !!.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder why the EU play's ball just now, when they blind folded their demands for the past 30 years.......a ne way of meddling in internal Thai politics perhaps?

So refuse to do business with the EU and teach them a lesson about who's boss. Sorted.

Edited by baboon

Is Thailand part of Eu? I don't think so. Then which right is it dare give orders to Thailand ? The damages that it causing to the European countries doesn't enough for them ?

Are you the guy who's business card says: Cosmopolitan? If not, go for it. As you already proved to have deep insight on global issues.

Edited by Lupatria

Is Thailand part of Eu? I don't think so. Then which right is it dare give orders to Thailand ? The damages that it causing to the European countries doesn't enough for them ?

Fact of life old chap, if you want to trade with the EU then they can set the rules, simple !!!

The way things look just now it would not take much of a nudge and the EU would look rather different.

No more stalling for time and hoping problem goes away ala Thai style. This is what the EU expects and if Thailand want to sell fish to them, then shape up or ship out! Not hard to understand is it? whistling.gif

Fact of life old chap, if you want to trade with the EU then they can set the rules, simple !!!

Yup, one of the golden rules - he who has the gold, rules! Surely Thai understand that whistling.gifcheesy.gif

"address issues such as ensuring all fishing vessels are registered, have registered equipment and are fitted with a Vessel Monitoring System (VMS).

But, but, but..what about the slavery????

Is there a gorilla in the room?

"...while the number of legal and illegal vessels must be sorted as this issue is the key to the solution of the IUU practices."

Here's a wild idea, how about not allowing illegal vessels to fish?

I can really appreciate the idea. However like most things in Land of Scams/Lack of Sanctions most of the corruption benefits whom? Some would say.... police/army/govt. lackies/politicians/ and all the oligarchy know in the country by "don't you know who I am?"

Oh yeah, I forgot. Anyone who can afford a fishing boat big enough to poach in other countries waters is by definition a quality person and above the law.

This is no surprise especially when Prayut bends to the whim of unregistered boat owners allowing them two more months to be registered after they intimidated and threatened registered boat owners.

Instead of giving them two more months to be registered they should have given them two months in jail for intimidation of lawful boat owners.

This is no surprise especially when Prayut bends to the whim of unregistered boat owners allowing them two more months to be registered after they intimidated and threatened registered boat owners.

Instead of giving them two more months to be registered they should have given them two months in jail for intimidation of lawful boat owners.

Um you are aware of where most of the support which gave him the excuse to come to power came from?

I wonder why the EU play's ball just now, when they blind folded their demands for the past 30 years.......a ne way of meddling in internal Thai politics perhaps?

Possibly, since EU member nations are having some financial difficulties, this is a way to reduce foreign competition and boost the profits of EU member nation's fishing industries and has nothing to do with Thailand's internal politics (what an ugly can of worms that is).

No one is telling Thailand what to do. The EU is telling Thailand that it will stop buying Thai seafood if Thailand refused to stop slave labor and practices that are detrimental to the environment. Thailand is perfectly free to tell the EU to 'kiss off'. Thailand can decide for itself it selling their seafood to the EU is worth the trouble to clean up their fisheries industry. Balance of trade is important to most countries and Thailand will lose a lot of foreign money (that it uses to buy foreign products), if the EU stops buying Thai seafood, so it is in Thailand's interests to keep the EU's business (it helps stop slavery and helps the environment also). I hope this helps you understand what is going on.

For myself, I won't buy food products from China because I am worried about contaminants and quality. Am I telling China what to do? No. I am, however, telling China that if they don't clean up their food industry, they will not get my business. As a consumer, I get to choose not to buy from pirates and outlaws and my government makes sure I, mostly, have safe sources to choose from.

Quite simple, if they want to sell their stuff and trade they need to follow the trading standards set, Thailand is not special and it can either comply or if not, then its bye bye.... sell it to china for all the EU cares.

Edited by englishoak

again one of these EU policies where it shoots itself in the foot.

instead of cheap shrimps and cheap pangasius from unregistered fishers, they will now get expensive shrimps and pangasius from registered fishers. great.

At the end, the improvement in fishing practices will again be paid as always by the EU consumer. Most of them don't have any money left to go on holidays in Thailand either...

""The EU sent a letter saying our actions were still not correct both in terms of administration and legislation," Defense Minister Prawit Wongsuwan told reporters on Friday."

What is the Defense Minister doing opening mail that has nothing to do with him?

Nobody seems to know what is going on and nosing in on other peoples area of authority cannot help matters.

He should go back to playing with the model submarines the chinese sent him.

EU should climb back in there box and sort them selves out before trying to fix everyone else's problems.coffee1.gif

Or Thailand can simply cut exports to the EU in protest if they don't agree.......

why not close all your borders so you don't have to deal with us ........farangs. And then see what happens.

instead of cheap shrimps and cheap pangasius from unregistered fishers, they will now get expensive shrimps and pangasius from registered fishers. great.

At the end, the improvement in fishing practices will again be paid as always by the EU consumer. Most of them don't have any money left to go on holidays in Thailand either...

A couple of tiny silver coins extra to ensure safety and quality of food which has not arrived at the table by way of slave labour. Count me in...

You're ignoring the slave labor issue, and the fact that illegal, unrestricted fishing is depleting the ocean's fish stocks. This does more than just remove seafood from the menu, once the coastal fish stocks have crashed impoverished fishermen sometimes turn to piracy. That's what happened in Somalia, and Thai fishing boats contributed to that desperate situation.

If you are not familiar with the expression "the tragedy of the commons" you should look into it. The oceans are an example of such a tragedy on a global scale.

Edited by heybruce

You're ignoring the slave labor issue, and the fact that illegal, unrestricted fishing is depleting the ocean's fish stocks. This does more than just remove seafood from the menu, once the coastal fish stocks have crashed impoverished fishermen sometimes turn to piracy. That's what happened in Somalia, and Thai fishing boats contributed to that desperate situation.

If you are not familiar with the expression "the tragedy of the commons" you should look into it. The oceans are an example of such a tragedy on a global scale.

No need to look any further for evidence of depleted fish stocks - the North Sea is a prime example of raping the ocean. And it wasn't done by Thai fishermen.

No need to look any further for evidence of depleted fish stocks - the North Sea is a prime example of raping the ocean. And it wasn't done by Thai fishermen.

Great logic.

Europe raped it's ocean.

Therefore Thailand has the right to rape it's ocean too.

More logic: Europe did this in a previous century, Thailand still lives in a previous century (or two).