What Floor do you feel comfortable about not having Mosquitos

Nice Boyd

Mosquitoes prefer to stay near the ground and will rarely fly up higher than a half-dozen floors on their own.

But strong air currents near high buildings can lift the mosquitoes upwards even if they dont want to go there.

Also they can get trapped in elevators or stairwells etc.

Where I am I find that I rarely see mosquitoes on balconies above the 10th floor whereas at ground level there are quite a lot.

Mosquitoes prefer to stay near the ground and will rarely fly up higher than a half-dozen floors on their own.

But strong air currents near high buildings can lift the mosquitoes upwards even if they dont want to go there.

Where I am I find that I rarely see mosquitoes on balconies above the 10th floor whereas at ground level there are quite a lot.

A friend has removed all the screens from his 10th floor condo.

A friend has removed all the screens from his 10th floor condo.

I am at a 15th floor and removed these ugly screens when I bought the place. smile.png

I like to let the window-doors opened in the evening.

It's no problem now and most of time,

but there is a short period during the rain season where 1 or 2 mosquitos

regularly find a way to my condo, so I have one of theses "Zap rackets" wink.png

I suspect they arrive from the corridor: stairs or lifts.

I am one of those unfortunates that mosquitoes love. If there's ONE mosquito in a room of 100 people, it will find me. I live in a single storey house so I am at war constantly. There is nothing more satisfying than the noise of a zap-racket.

There's two schools of thought about mosquito control: deny them the water to lay eggs in (so they go elsewhere and return in clouds,) or provide them the water but include fish/insecticide. Each female can lay 400 at a time. Each time you zap one, it's 400 fewer bites.

Make war not love.

Myself and herself were staying in a 5th floor condo recently and I asked her why she was leaving the doors open onto the balcony (she's normally obsessed with keeping mozzies out) "Floor 5, no Yung". That's good enough for me.

I used to rent a home and it was like a jungle with mosquitoes, cockroaches, sometimes even rats and snakes. I bought a 4th-floor condo and don't remember ever having been bothered by a mosquito once in five years. Whereas in the home, I was always buying those coils, plug-in electric things and zap-rackets, I have never had to do that in the condo. The main annoyance in the condo has been 'drain' flies in the shower which are quite harmless and easily removed when you clean the shower drain.

Mosquitos don't care about height, if someone has a flower pot with stagnant water on any floor Mossies can breed profusely.

So educate your neighbours

What I've heard is a combination of those two ideas: The mosquitoes generally don't fly more than seven floors from the source of water they use for breeding. So, if nobody has stagnant water on their balcony, you're safe above 7F. However if there is stagnant water on 3F, then floors through 10F are at risk. And then if somebody on 3F and 9F have stagnant water, floors through 16F are at risk, etc.

And, of course, if a mosquito lands on you in the lobby before you enter an elevator and stays there until you exit the elevator on the 30Fd, guess what? Floors 30F-37F need to look out.

I think that proximity to the sea also counts for something. Where I am the prevailing wind most of the year comes directly off the sea, and of course there aren't many mosquitoes flying or breeding out there.

So a high floor on the beach is probably better than a high floor further inland where there will probably be much more in the way of brackish water. Look at the many lakes/ponds at the back of Jomtien 2nd Road.

Theoretically, most species of mosquitos and other flying insect can't fly above the 7th floor. However, most buildings that tall have elevators (lifts). These flying insects can make their way into the lift and fly out when the door opens on the 10th floor, etc.

Theoretically, most species of mosquitos and other flying insect can't fly above the 7th floor. However, most buildings that tall have elevators (lifts). These flying insects can make their way into the lift and fly out when the door opens on the 10th floor, etc.

You often see Swifts hundreds of feet up in the Thai sky catching insects when its a high pressure day, it all depends on air pressure where the insects are

Even if they could figure this out, they are not big enough to push the buttons in the lift. ☺