Canadian expat attacked by knife wielding maniac in Bangkok

Jonathan Fairfield

By "not enough evidence", I suppose the cops meant evidence in the form of cash.

Could be a contract gone wrong! hire a dummy , real estate agents are not the most honest people around espsecially farang ones trying to extort their own kind.

The ones I know here think they can sell xmas to santa for ever and ever.

However might be a genuine looney.

The OP words indicate that after the perp couldn't break down the door of the coffee shop, he attempted to harass another farang through a window. This would indicate that Blake was not a target, perhaps white men in general were. I still believe that he has a hard-on for farangs.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Not enough evidence" .... Is this place getting more stupid by the minute ... facepalm.gif

If it was the other way around the Canadian would be facing "attempted murder" but this lunatic is quite possibly gonna walk until he attack (and kill) his next victim - well done RTP, another bang on job bah.gif

Maybe its time to clear out of this inane asylum and find a civilized country to live in stead of Land of Stabbing...angry.png

BTW sorry about the avatar, Blake, not intended

Not many civilised countries left these days!

If you don't like the land of stabbing don't go to the UK, there are stories of stabbings in the paper every day, how about the little boy going to school with two steak knives threatening to cut his teachers head off.

The teacher probably got fired for ''impeding the student's right to express himself'' >_>

Nasty and frightening as this attack probably was for the tourist, and not trying to minimize things, but <deleted>, if all of the wicked knife wielding terror attack left with two little nicks to his hands he has to consider himself lucky. I have had a lot worse than that from opening a can of tomatoes and a bite from a bloody Toktaw! Hardly "Jack the Knife"

Your first and final sentence contradict each other.

Edited by Bluespunk

Blake - the police are not here to help you. And neither is the government. You need to come to terms with reality.

The Thonglor Police were extremely helpful. And with thanks given to ThaiVisa and other people drawing attention to the story, it's more likely to see a proper result.

Sure, I've been here long enough and seen enough to be jaded with the legal/court system here as well. But with an "all eyes on" effect, the police and courts are more likely to do something.

So avoid treating it like a joke. He didn't randomly walk up to me and punch me. He wasn't drunk and looking for a fight. He left his house with 3 knives with the intent to kill someone. If released, next time (and there will be a next time if he's released, he's homicidal), it could just as easily be anyone here or their family or friends.

This story is a call to action for the police and hopefully they see it and treat it as such.

whats the update on the story?

if you have a business or real estate here, then I am sure your money is ok... (so why not pay some tea money to thonglor police station and ask them to search his home and for them to 'push harder' that this guy gets convicted.

i know for a fact that putting money in the right direction in Thailand almost always helps you get what you want.

Ah, the law is such a wonderful creature.

The perp just did what a lot of Thai people think but don't act on - when they look at a farang

That's why you don't live in Thailand ?

Just yet another example of us and them mentality.

Pathetic.

Blake send copies of the police report to Canada. I just pasted the story and sent it to news paper in America and the U. K.. This lack of law has to stop and we can do it by making sure other tourist know what the law is like in Thailand! There economy will surely drop further!

how does one get to be a policeman in Thailand you volunteer, if you have enough money to buy a uniform that's the first step the second step is if you look good in your uniform you are on the first step of the ladder if you have half a brain youre in the police force then you can proceed to buy your rank right up to the top of the heap .

Anyone can qualify. You must have a heartbeat, a low IQ, be obedient, be able to walk, and have no moral standards. And you must be unwilling to be genuinely helpful. It is acceptable to feign interest and appear to be helpful. As long as you do not really help. And you are absolutely forbidden from solving a crime. As far as having a desire for a high income, well that is presumed. Edited by spidermike007

If I see anyone with no shirt walking on a public street, I am going to be on my guard. Of course, since I don't have eyes in the back of my head I don't like to sit street-side. When I was a young man, I worked at a mental hospital. Ever since then, I tend to sit with my back towards a wall or at least facing the door to see who comes in. Crazy people can have the strength of ten men.

Yes, all indications are that we are looking at a case of serious mental illness. Maybe an episode due to drugs or longstanding mental illness. Is there a way here that the police deal with this ie mental evaluation, hospital for criminally insane etc? In US, he can be held for 48 hours for mental evaluation. Letting him back out on the street is so utterly irresponsible and goes against the fundamental function of the police - public safety. I suspect that the police have no training or resources here to deal with this other than dump him in the slammer and then release him because the crime is based on "hearsay"....

Blake - the police are not here to help you. And neither is the government. You need to come to terms with reality.

The Thonglor Police were extremely helpful. And with thanks given to ThaiVisa and other people drawing attention to the story, it's more likely to see a proper result.

Sure, I've been here long enough and seen enough to be jaded with the legal/court system here as well. But with an "all eyes on" effect, the police and courts are more likely to do something.

So avoid treating it like a joke. He didn't randomly walk up to me and punch me. He wasn't drunk and looking for a fight. He left his house with 3 knives with the intent to kill someone. If released, next time (and there will be a next time if he's released, he's homicidal), it could just as easily be anyone here or their family or friends.

This story is a call to action for the police and hopefully they see it and treat it as such.

Maybe the TAT could help, this incident wont exactly send the required image out to quality tourists especially the police hesitancy to do anything, ask the PM. Probably Burmese, no Thai could do a thing like this

TAT issue not a police issue

another one for the General

Bangkok has a large number of mentally disturbed Thais roaming the streets. Open your eyes!!!!!!

Breaking Forum Rule 11?

You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

How is that breaking forum rules

It wasnt a generalisation and the term 'mentally disturbed' is a description of a serious condition.

Edited by fish fingers

What a bunch of Thai bashing loosers who post on here.

I've seen more bashing of me than of Thai people just because I'm a real estate broker in Bangkok. Unfortunately, there have been agents that take client deposits and run with them and do all other kinds of shady business. That's why my mother and I opened our own RE/MAX franchise, so that we could operate with honesty and integrity and set ourselves apart from the less than honest.

Don't get me wrong, we still battle everyday with finding and employing honest AGENTS, teaching our Thai staff how to properly treat western clients and all the while making sure they're not ripping us off in the process. We've had to fire quite a few people who are always looking for "the angle"/how can they squeeze those extra Baht.

Owners call us with a place for sale or rent. We advertise it, bring people who are interested, negotiate a fair sale/rental price, handle the contracts and process at the land transfer office, assist with finding financing if needed, assist with connecting with a lawyer if wanted. That's it. Vice versa, someone seeking a rental/condo to buy calls us, gives us area/price/size info, we search our database, contact owners, put together a list of options, take the client around, etc.

There's no dishonesty in the work. Well, let me rephrase... there's no NEED for dishonesty in the work. We've been able to help a lot of people, all of whom I'm sure would speak positively about our company. Haven't been able to help everyone but thems the breaks.

Bangkok has a large number of mentally disturbed Thais roaming the streets. Open your eyes!!!!!!

Breaking Forum Rule 11?

You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

How is that breaking forum rules

It wasnt a generalisation and the term 'mentally disturbed' is a description of a serious condition.

You are absolutely correct, fish fingers.

What I wanted to say, but didn't dare, was:

I completely agree with kingalfred's comment and wanted to add: "Yes, open your eyes; At least you can easily recognize them as they wear guns, plastic badges and funny costumes."

By emphasizing "law enforcement" in forum rule 11, I put this meaning indirectly into kingalfred's comment and I thought: Damn, I'm so geniously evil, he, he!

But obviously it wasn't that genious... Sorry for the wrong impression, that I somehow wouldn't agree with kingalfred.

Now let's see, if the mods apply forum rule 11 to my comment/explanation here...

By "not enough evidence", I suppose the cops meant evidence in the form of cash.

Could be a contract gone wrong! hire a dummy , real estate agents are not the most honest people around espsecially farang ones trying to extort their own kind.

The ones I know here think they can sell xmas to santa for ever and ever.

However might be a genuine looney.

You must know Blake personally to make such a well informed post....

I've never met him, but I'm not taking in to account what his profession is. I'm responding to an innocent guy getting attacked with a knife.

Maybe you're reading a different post??

He is Thai. He lives in Khlong Toei. I have his full name. Wanchai Julsuwan (วันชัย จุลสุวรรณ). It's Thai. Now I just need to figure out where to call to find out what happened at the courts yesterday. And anyone is free to pass the story onto the Thai Facebook/media groups mentioned. I wouldn't even know where to start. Same with a court contact :/

Just Googled the name in Thai and nothing turned up in the Thai press.

May be worth posting the story to the Pantip.com Thai message boards to try and jog the authorities to action.

He is Thai. He lives in Khlong Toei. I have his full name. Wanchai Julsuwan (วันชัย จุลสุวรรณ). It's Thai. Now I just need to figure out where to call to find out what happened at the courts yesterday. And anyone is free to pass the story onto the Thai Facebook/media groups mentioned. I wouldn't even know where to start. Same with a court contact :/

May be worth posting the story to the Pantip.com Thai message boards to try and jog the authorities to action.

It doesn't appear in the Thai press because the man with the knife is not Thai.

He is from Myanmar.

A Thai would never do something like that.

I hope the Canadian heals fast.

When I look at that p.o.s somchai in his fatigue spants, his knife and M50 bottle of liquid caffeine, I can't help think he's like so many Thais who really should just go back to the farm. He's a loser, and the fact he picks on an unarmed foreigner speaks volumes as to how Thais fight. What a scum bag. He's a disgrace to his own country and humanity.

Suspect that M 150 bottle contains Lao Khao, that's how they drink it round my area.

Yaa dong as well.

This kind of attack could occur in any country. The attacker was a destitute Thai male, probably mentally ill, perhaps intoxicated, intent on harming a farang.

The police are disinterested because they cannot squeeze him for money. Without some kind of compensation, the police have to come up with another way to resolve this without loss of face for anyone. So, they come up with obstacles and excuses why they can't run this matter through a regular criminal prosecution.

I hope Blake is able to see it through. I know Blake. He's a good guy, been in Thailand awhile, and didn't deserve to be frightened in this manner. I feel more sorry for his mom who moved to Thailand to join him, only to witness her son's life being threatened.

Could occur in any country? Yes hypothetically it could. But where In the world do you hear about stories like this? Only in LOS do you hear of these kind of stories and reactions to what happened. Maybe LOS should be changed to &lt;deleted&gt; instead...much more fitting acronym...

He is from Myanmar.

Repeating a bad joke doesn't make it funnier.

What a bunch of Thai bashing loosers who post on here.

I've seen more bashing of me than of Thai people just because I'm a real estate broker in Bangkok. Unfortunately, there have been agents that take client deposits and run with them and do all other kinds of shady business. That's why my mother and I opened our own RE/MAX franchise, so that we could operate with honesty and integrity and set ourselves apart from the less than honest.

Don't get me wrong, we still battle everyday with finding and employing honest AGENTS, teaching our Thai staff how to properly treat western clients and all the while making sure they're not ripping us off in the process. We've had to fire quite a few people who are always looking for "the angle"/how can they squeeze those extra Baht.

Owners call us with a place for sale or rent. We advertise it, bring people who are interested, negotiate a fair sale/rental price, handle the contracts and process at the land transfer office, assist with finding financing if needed, assist with connecting with a lawyer if wanted. That's it. Vice versa, someone seeking a rental/condo to buy calls us, gives us area/price/size info, we search our database, contact owners, put together a list of options, take the client around, etc.

There's no dishonesty in the work. Well, let me rephrase... there's no NEED for dishonesty in the work. We've been able to help a lot of people, all of whom I'm sure would speak positively about our company. Haven't been able to help everyone but thems the breaks.

Blake , you need to change coffee shops ......

He is from Myanmar.

Repeating a bad joke doesn't make it funnier.

Sorry you don't enjoy cutting humour. Why are you taking a stab at me?

Edited by Bulldozer Dawn

If I see anyone with no shirt walking on a public street, I am going to be on my guard. Of course, since I don't have eyes in the back of my head I don't like to sit street-side. When I was a young man, I worked at a mental hospital. Ever since then, I tend to sit with my back towards a wall or at least facing the door to see who comes in. Crazy people can have the strength of ten men.

Yes, all indications are that we are looking at a case of serious mental illness. Maybe an episode due to drugs or longstanding mental illness. Is there a way here that the police deal with this ie mental evaluation, hospital for criminally insane etc? In US, he can be held for 48 hours for mental evaluation. Letting him back out on the street is so utterly irresponsible and goes against the fundamental function of the police - public safety. I suspect that the police have no training or resources here to deal with this other than dump him in the slammer and then release him because the crime is based on "hearsay"....

I loved the statement about the fundamental function of the police being about public safety. You could take that routine on the road with a comedy act. What public safety? There is no police work being done for:

Any sort of public safety.

Any sort of traffic safety.

Any sort of product safety.

I do not think the police have any training in regard to public safety. And I believe there is little concern. It is never about prevention. It is always about reaction to the event, after it has taken place.

I loved the statement about the fundamental function of the police being about public safety. You could take that routine on the road with a comedy act. What public safety? There is no police work being done for:

Any sort of public safety.

Any sort of traffic safety.

Any sort of product safety.

I do not think the police have any training in regard to public safety. And I believe there is little concern. It is never about prevention. It is always about reaction to the event, after it has taken place.

If only it was at least that but without money they often don't even react after the event.