Russia seeks 80,000 tonnes of Thai rubber in barter deal

Lite Beer

Barter...

Russian Roubles no good any more??? gigglem.gif

A good point which no one seems to be picking up on except that the deal would previously been done in USD and not Roubles. So perhaps the question should be are USD no good any more? As the USD is the international currency the Russian's would have bought the rubber and paid USD and the Thais would have bought the weapons and paid USD. What has happened lately is that some countries are now starting to deal with each other in their own currencies or doing direct trades of goods like this. The big question is, is this just a few isolated incidents or is it a trend that will continue?

As far as the weapons are concerned then I agree with many that Thailand should have bigger priorities but it is the Generals who are in charge. I also find it strange that they would mix their NATO spec weapons with eastern bloc weapons. Maybe the Russian's are struggling a bit just now and are selling at a knock down price.

Brilliant. Buy com-block weapons to mix with NATO weapons you have and not only will you have ammunition confusion but also operation and maintenance confusion. This is why NATO and the Com-block have their own standardized weapons across all allied nations. What are you going to get? Crappy Kalashnikov (AK) rifles to mix with your NATO rifles?

Why do you believe Kalashnikov (AK) rifles are so crappy?

I am no weapons expert but I know enough to know that whilst AKs rarely jam and pack a punch, the biggest problem is actually hitting the target. On single shot you may have a chance but on automatic you will just be firing is a general direction. The reason the AK is so popular is because it is so cheap. The world has far more poor and disenfranchised people that it has rich people who can afford a good rifle.

Even something as positive as this you get the Thai knockers. I am new to this replying to this forum but for months I have been reading it and am amazed at how few respond in a positive way.

Good to see that you're getting some practice by complaining about other posters in your second post. You'll fit in very well indeed.

Brilliant. Buy com-block weapons to mix with NATO weapons you have and not only will you have ammunition confusion but also operation and maintenance confusion. This is why NATO and the Com-block have their own standardized weapons across all allied nations. What are you going to get? Crappy Kalashnikov (AK) rifles to mix with your NATO rifles?

The days of Thailand being a NATO customer are long over. Most of the major military purchases over the past decade have been non Nato, they've bought stuff from Sweden, South Korea, Ukraine, South Africa, Israel and have even started manufacturing their own stuff. Thailand already has former Communist block weaponry. Ukraine is now a major military supplier, Thailand has ordered 50 tanks and 200+ APCs.

Rubber for Russian submarines?

(They tried before to barter chicken meat for Swedish Gripen fighter jets http://www.nationmultimedia.com/home/Up-to-Saab-on-chicken-for-jet-fighters-deal-106561.html)

I have Rubber! How about I swap some Rubber for some Chickens then you can barter the Rubber for that Fighter Jet?

Hum! A Rubber Russian Submarine? What are those sneaky bastards going to think of next?

Kalashnikov rifles might be of variable quality depending in which country they were produced. But, they are a highly effective robust assault rifle as your countrymen discovered in VN.

And whose rifle do you class as NATO?

For a simple maintenance, highly reliable, relatively easy to use in any conditions, extreme climate etc the Kalashnikov compares better than most. No need to knock them. Accept US ain't always the best.

The wisdom of having different caliber weapons with different ammunition is a different argument.

AFAIR Russian and Chinese weaprons used very slightly larger ammunition than NATO, 7.65mm ver 7.62mm, 83mm mortars ver 82mm mortars.

This means that the Russian and Chineses weapons can use NATO ammuntion with a small loss of efficiency but NATO could not use Russian ammunition as it was fractionally too large to fit in the weapon.

I have also read (though I cannot remember where) that the Kalashnikov is a far more robust automatic rifle and accepts worse treatment and still works.

There is an interesting article on Wikipedia here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_the_AK-47_and_M16

It seems that over 100,000,000 AK47s have been legally built not to mention copies as well.

I would have thought the Thai army has sufficient assault rifles. What they might need in the near future though is more riot control vehicles and related equipment and I feel sure that Putin would be pleased to supply whatever they think they might need.

I am no weapons expert but I know enough to know that whilst AKs rarely jam and pack a punch, the biggest problem is actually hitting the target. On single shot you may have a chance but on automatic you will just be firing is a general direction. The reason the AK is so popular is because it is so cheap. The world has far more poor and disenfranchised people that it has rich people who can afford a good rifle.

How many times have you fired an AK?

No, it's not a sniper rifle. It's an assault rifle.

There is a very good reason the AK is so popular - try reliability, ease of use, ease of maintenance, and proven capability over many years.

Read the reports of the early M16's in Vietnam War and see how they performed in comparison.

You want to compare a jeep with a sports car?

Polonium for use on dissidents? http://www.amazon.co...h/dp/0230531547

Litvinenko is not a dissident.

He was a traitor who sold Russia's military secrets to the West.

The truth is here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/russia/9057560/Alexander-Litvinenkos-father-calls-his-son-a-traitor.html

And that would make it alright to murder him in another country in your book?

Kalashnikov rifles might be of variable quality depending in which country they were produced. But, they are a highly effective robust assault rifle as your countrymen discovered in VN.

And whose rifle do you class as NATO?

For a simple maintenance, highly reliable, relatively easy to use in any conditions, extreme climate etc the Kalashnikov compares better than most. No need to knock them. Accept US ain't always the best.

The wisdom of having different caliber weapons with different ammunition is a different argument.

AFAIR Russian and Chinese weaprons used very slightly larger ammunition than NATO, 7.65mm ver 7.62mm, 83mm mortars ver 82mm mortars.

This means that the Russian and Chineses weapons can use NATO ammuntion with a small loss of efficiency but NATO could not use Russian ammunition as it was fractionally too large to fit in the weapon.

I have also read (though I cannot remember where) that the Kalashnikov is a far more robust automatic rifle and accepts worse treatment and still works.

There is an interesting article on Wikipedia here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_the_AK-47_and_M16

It seems that over 100,000,000 AK47s have been legally built not to mention copies as well.

NATO adopted the 5.56 mm as standard in the 80's. The US M16 and British SA80 are 5.56 mm.

The old M14 and British SLR were 7.62 mm.

Kalashnikov's are renowned for being robust, reliable, able to operate in extreme climates and very forgiving of maintenance. Which is sadly why the nut jobs around the world like them. Along with their ease of availability and cost.

How many times have you fired an AK?

No, it's not a sniper rifle. It's an assault rifle.

There is a very good reason the AK is so popular - try reliability, ease of use, ease of maintenance, and proven capability over many years.

Read the reports of the early M16's in Vietnam War and see how they performed in comparison.

You want to compare a jeep with a sports car?

What a strange post.

Who said anything about an AK being a sniper rifle?

I'd agree with your reasons for the AK's popularity as none of them include accuracy.

As for comparing a sports car to a jeep? You are talking about comparing a modern AK with the M16 of 50 years ago.

Very strange post.

You seriously need to do some research before posting.

Some Thai units, notably the paramilitary rangers "Thahan Phran" formerly commanded by Seh Daeng, are equipped with Chinese made Type 56 rifles which are essentially a Chinese made version of the AK 47, and use the same ammunition.

Perhaps the Minister of tourism will make a pitch for an exchange involving Russian tourists

Better buy some water desalinization plants first so the Chinese tourists have something to drink(Russians cannot afford to come). The rest of us must fend for ourselves.

Edited by elgordo38

Polonium for use on dissidents? http://www.amazon.co...h/dp/0230531547

Litvinenko is not a dissident.

He was a traitor who sold Russia's military secrets to the West.

The truth is here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/russia/9057560/Alexander-Litvinenkos-father-calls-his-son-a-traitor.html

And that would make it alright to murder him in another country in your book?

Yes, since he did not have the good sense to come back to Russia to be murderedtongue.png

What "other goods"?

I'm having a hard time thinking of anything except vodka. blink.png

Russia is also the world's number one producer of titanium -- used in aircraft aluminum and hundreds of other products and processes. It also grows a good deal of winter wheat.

thumbsup.gif

The foreign exchange component is important as Seastallion says, Thailand needs money not weapons , they also need better water management and new dams , better fishing regulations , better DCA management , better human rights record , better labour laws , better infrastructure , better education system , better wildlife and environment rules , better building and construction laws , the picture is clear I would have thought, what they don't need is weapons. coffee1.gif

They need weapons to protect themselves from people demanding the better things you mention. Otherwise democracy could be in jeopardy.

One can state quite categorically that Prayut - O and the Elite won't go without water.

The days of Thailand being a NATO customer are long over. Most of the major military purchases over the past decade have been non Nato, they've bought stuff from Sweden, South Korea, Ukraine, South Africa, Israel and have even started manufacturing their own stuff. Thailand already has former Communist block weaponry. Ukraine is now a major military supplier, Thailand has ordered 50 tanks and 200+ APCs.

Because EU and USA companies are bound by anti corruption law.

Russian business men already invest heavily in Thailand, in bars and prostitution in Pattaya, seen the number of Russian hookers on walking street, sure certain people in brown are enjoying the benefits.

What "other goods"?

I'm having a hard time thinking of anything except vodka. blink.png

Russia is also the world's number one producer of titanium -- used in aircraft aluminum and hundreds of other products and processes. It also grows a good deal of winter wheat.

thumbsup.gif

How many aircraft does Thailand produce ?