Immigration Promenada One Stop Service

Tywais

I was just at Promenada shopping at Rimping and out of curiosity I checked Immigration to see what it was like. At about 2.30 a few people - about five - waiting outside and no one waiting inside. On returning with my shopping I checked again at about 3.30 - no one - not a single person waiting outside and just four waiting inside in nice cool ac!

Is it the equinox? Or am I missing something.

I was just checking because I have no need to do anything visa-wise at the moment. It looked like the good old days about six or seven years ago when one just went and did one's thing and came home no hassle. Have things come good?

• Replies 597
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was just at Promenada shopping at Rimping and out of curiosity I checked Immigration to see what it was like. At about 2.30 a few people - about five - waiting outside and no one waiting inside. On returning with my shopping I checked again at about 3.30 - no one - not a single person waiting outside and just four waiting inside in nice cool ac!

I was just checking because I have no need to do anything visa-wise at the moment. It looked like the good old days about six or seven years ago when one just went and did one's thing and came home no hassle. Have things come good?

I thought the same, couldn't believe how quiet it seemed to be. It would seem to me that numbers of people here have dropped significantly in the past year or two.

I thought the same, couldn't believe how quiet it seemed to be. It would seem to me that numbers of people here have dropped significantly in the past year or two.

Really ? maybe just an aberration at Immigration. I doubt numbers of residents has dropped.

Wife was at the Motor Registery office yesterday there were over 100 people just applying for their first Thai licence ,she spent the day there.Meanwhile I went to the Airport and had to drive around seeking a parking spot for ages and there were cars illegally parked everywhere,just no spaces.

Makro on Saturday at Mae Hia was chockers they have had to create a new parking area on the south side to handle the increased customer base.

Driving on Hang Dong Rd and round town last weekend never seen so much traffic and this is low season I would be very happy if you are correctsmile.png

Yes, I agree, I don't think it is because of decrease in numbers of people. It may be that the move to Prom is starting to show effects. As well as the low numbers, there seemed to be different atmosphere (though I didn't go inside and one cannot judge really from outside) .. things seemed relaxed. Some staff seemed to be out from behind their desks and chatting in twos and threes. It just looked 'kool'.

Another thing I will comment on and see if others have anything to say on this. It is something that has been on my mind for years since the 'pile up' started at Immigration a few years ago.

In all those years it would seem that we all get 'done'. Businesswise I mean. I have not read of anyone not having their retirement extended or ninety days done. So I ask myself: is the whole thing just panic on our part? Since everyone gets 'done' within the office hours there must be a balance between customer and staff: supply and demand that reaches equilibrium in the long run. So sometimes I think if we didn't panic and didn't queue up at unearthly hours but just went by as we did some years ago would thing just work themselves out? It would seem there is enough time and sevice to see to all our demands so perhaps it would work itself out if we did not panic?

Or are I missing something vital?

I have to get my 1 year marriage visa, am I going to Promenada, or the old location near the airport? Sorry if this has been answered already in the thread, but it's 20+ pages long. Thanks.

Marriage extension is at the old location.

I have to get my 1 year marriage visa, am I going to Promenada, or the old location near the airport? Sorry if this has been answered already in the thread, but it's 20+ pages long. Thanks.

Is it worth creating a pinned topic that summarises the services at each of the two locations?

E.g.

Promenada - 90 day report (in person), extension based on pension, etc

Old location - 90 day report (mail in), extension based on marriage, etc

Is it worth creating a pinned topic that summarises the services at each of the two locations?

The very first post, ie. the OP, shows all the services at Promenada. What is not on the list will be at the old office. I will be closing this topic out shortly and beginning a new one since the dust has settled and the new site and information has matured. This topic was a learning curve on the new location and as such lot of uncertainty and complaining so a fresh start is in order.

Interestingly, we haven't had any recent updates about the early morning conditions. TV sponsor Assist Thai Visa Services used to be quite faithful about doing that, complete with photos. I wonder if they can update us with recent news? How are conditions now? Do they have the lights on at 5 am? Is everyone who is in the retirement/medical extension queue at 8:30 am receiving a queue card for that day or are some being turned away?

It's been a couple weeks since I've been out to Prom. at 8 am and I don't really have an appetite to go out myself to look. Don't live nearby and don't care to pay a tuk-tuk/song thaew a couple hundred baht to take me out to look.

Hi,

No recent updates but here is a photo from the 17th of September at about 5.30-6am and you can see the lights are on. The Queue has been filled most days, with quite a lot of people returning for a second trip, but now is low season so it is quieter than before. There are people there everyday at 5am. I hope this helps Nancy!

post-243749-0-46195000-1443062553_thumb.

Hi,

No recent updates but here is a photo from the 17th of September at about 5.30-6am and you can see the lights are on. The Queue has been filled most days, with quite a lot of people returning for a second trip, but now is low season so it is quieter than before. There are people there everyday at 5am. I hope this helps Nancy!

Very sad.

Hi,

I notice they are just sitting around no line ups. Is there a certain time when they get up and jostle each other for a position in the line?

Last time I was there, people placed the white stools in a queue in front of the signs indicating the name of the queue and then placed book bags or other personal possessions on the stools to hold their place. Then they went and sat on the comfortable chairs that you see in the photo. Around 7 - 7:30, as the crowd grew, people got off the comfy chairs and went to sit on the stools. There wasn't any jostling, at least not at the front of the queue. Don't know about the back, when it was evident that they were close to the magic number 20.

Hi,

This is really pathetic.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

This is really pathetic.

Not much different than the old office as a line formed early in the morning except for those who were luck and got a online Q number.

It's a mess.

I went out to reconnoiter last week, and hit a brick wall.

No appointments available.

No advice from the courteous staff manning the info desk except to show up at 5AM and hope for the best.

I'm going back in two days with my papers in hand, but I'm not optimistic.

I can't help but notice the service I've been using the last two years doubled its price to handle this.

It's a mess.

No advice from the courteous staff manning the info desk except to show up at 5AM and hope for the best.

I can't help but notice the service I've been using the last two years doubled its price to handle this.

Hate to be a messenger of despondency, but the people who are praising the agents now won`t be so enthusiastic when they find themselves paying upwards of 20000 baht in the next 2 or 3 years to grab a slot in the system. Because this is the way I see this heading. Hope I am terribly wrong.

It's a mess.

Hate to be a messenger of despondency, but the people who are praising the agents now won`t be so enthusiastic when they find themselves paying upwards of 20000 baht in the next 2 or 3 years to grab a slot in the system. Because this is the way I see this heading. Hope I am terribly wrong.

On the other hand there is the chance more agencies will open and competition will keep prices in check.

It's a mess.

On the other hand there is the chance more agencies will open and competition will keep prices in check.

Time will tell.

Hi,

This is really pathetic.

Not much different than the old office as a line formed early in the morning except for those who were luck and got a online Q number.

So you think this is acceptable? Under no circumstances should people be required to show up at immigration at 0400 hours to receive a queue in order to comply with immigration requirements.

Hi,

This is really pathetic.

So you think this is acceptable? Under no circumstances should people be required to show up at immigration at 0400 hours to receive a queue in order to comply with immigration requirements.

True, but eventually people will realise they don't seem to want us in Thailand, and are increasingly making it harder to remain.

Only given it a small amount of consideration in the past but it is getting to the point where we think we should be looking at alternatives, just in case it turns pear shaped here.

I know there is certainly a groundswell of people also looking at other options, again, just in case!

For the record, we love and would prefer to stay in Thailand - if!

I cannot believe I read these last few comments. Honestly, if I don't like the service I get in a restaurant, hotel or car repair shop I don't go back. If you don't like how things work here.... go somewhere else. If it is all that big of a deal, just check bin and go. Plenty of other countries around.

By the way. I'd suggest any immigrant complaining about the procedures in your respective countries would get the same response from you.... If you don't like it....go somewhere else. Not to mention that most of us come from countries where they are are very unlikely to allow a Thai person to visit, let alone retire.

On the positive side of things there are many ways around these 'perceived difficulties'. It is up to each and every individual to make their life work smoothly. It is not up to the Thai Immigration to babysit for people.

My visit last week for an online appointment at 14.30, retirement extension.

13.50 Arrived and waited at the desk. 2 people in front of me, first person wanted a retirement extension, was told no more tickets, come back tomorrow. He said he had traveled by bus from Fang, but the girl wasn't moved, so the man left, muttering that he had to stay the night. The next lady was for the 90 day report and was given ticket 171. I was told to wait to be called. There were 7 people waiting outside. I went inside where 21 people were sitting. I noticed they now have a new Information desk in the middle of the office.

2 officers were at the re-entry desk, each with an applicant, 2 officers were at the 90 day desk, each with an applicant, 2 officers at the retirement/medical extension desk, no applicant.

14.05 The 14.00 appointment was called and went to the desk.
14.20 The 14.00 appointment was finished, and retirement number 20 was called. The other desks still busy with numbers being called in groups of 3.
14.40 Retirement number 20 was finished.
14.40 My appointment was called. Papers checked, but officer said I needed the bank book updated. The book had been updated that morning, but he wanted it updated again. A trip to the bank and he then accepted it.
14.55 My interview was over, I was told my passport would be ready at 16.30. Nothing better to do, so I sat and watched. Still busy at the other 2 desks but the 2 retirement extension officers were both playing with their tablets.
15.05 One of the guys from the visa agents came in, presumably with a customer. The female retirement officer started processing him, the other continued with his tablet.
15.10 The 15.00 appointment was called. The re-entry desks now had no applicants, and number 171 was being processed at the 90 day desk.
15.25 The 15.00 appointment was finished, both the other desks had no applicants. One retirement officer began drinking from a coconut, the other played with his tablet. There were 7 people waiting inside.
15.35 The 15.30 appointment was called.
15.40 A guy approached the 90 day desk and was asked for his ticket. He said he didn't have one. One officer was on the phone, but the other officer processed him.
15.50 The 15.30 appointment was finished. Both officers played with their tablets. No applicants at the other desks.
16.05 A lady asked at the 90 day desk and was told, "Sorry, all tickets gone, come back tomorrow." She pointed out that it was only 16.05 but got the same reply.
16.10 Names began to be called at the Information desk and passports were returned.
16.12 One of the officers on the re-entry visa desk cleared his desk, picked up his briefcase and said goodnight.
16.15 My passport returned and I was out of there, just 2 persons left waiting. Officers now chatting to each other. Nobody at the desk outside.

So, just 4 online appointments, 1 applicant on the day, and 1 visa agent customer, processed for retirement extensions in over 2 hours, and at least one person turned away unnecessarily.

Hi,

This is really pathetic.

Only in Chiang Mai.

Only given it a small amount of consideration in the past but it is getting to the point where we think we should be looking at alternatives, just in case it turns pear shaped here.

I know there is certainly a groundswell of people also looking at other options, again, just in case!

For the record, we love and would prefer to stay in Thailand - if!

We're not there yet, but there may come a day when I actually feel a need to fill out that US Citizen Information form offered by the US embassy.

I wonder what Thai officials will be tasked with dealing with the wives of farangs who are forced out of country, if that scenario ever plays out. I don't see that as an impossibility. One day it's like - moratorium on extension for foreigners for 'national security reasons', don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way out farang. Bail (out) or jail.

I cannot believe I read these last few comments. Honestly, if I don't like the service I get in a restaurant, hotel or car repair shop I don't go back. If you don't like how things work here.... go somewhere else. If it is all that big of a deal, just check bin and go. Plenty of other countries around.

By the way. I'd suggest any immigrant complaining about the procedures in your respective countries would get the same response from you.... If you don't like it....go somewhere else. Not to mention that most of us come from countries where they are are very unlikely to allow a Thai person to visit, let alone retire.

On the positive side of things there are many ways around these 'perceived difficulties'. It is up to each and every individual to make their life work smoothly. It is not up to the Thai Immigration to babysit for people.

You should rename your avatar to "Broken Record". That 'Thailand: Love it or leave it' meme is old, tired, and quite worn own.

I'm simply going with an agency next year, which is my way around it. But I will continue to criticize and comment on the parts of the system that I perceive to be broken, as will many other members who plan to spend their lives here, if allowed.

So as far as 'shut up or get out' - think of something new and original 'eh? coffee1.gif

My visit last week for an online appointment at 14.30, retirement extension.

13.50 Arrived and waited at the desk. 2 people in front of me, first person wanted a retirement extension, was told no more tickets, come back tomorrow. He said he had traveled by bus from Fang, but the girl wasn't moved, so the man left, muttering that he had to stay the night. The next lady was for the 90 day report and was given ticket 171. I was told to wait to be called. There were 7 people waiting outside. I went inside where 21 people were sitting. I noticed they now have a new Information desk in the middle of the office.

2 officers were at the re-entry desk, each with an applicant, 2 officers were at the 90 day desk, each with an applicant, 2 officers at the retirement/medical extension desk, no applicant.

14.05 The 14.00 appointment was called and went to the desk.

14.20 The 14.00 appointment was finished, and retirement number 20 was called. The other desks still busy with numbers being called in groups of 3.

14.40 Retirement number 20 was finished.

14.40 My appointment was called. Papers checked, but officer said I needed the bank book updated. The book had been updated that morning, but he wanted it updated again. A trip to the bank and he then accepted it.

14.55 My interview was over, I was told my passport would be ready at 16.30. Nothing better to do, so I sat and watched. Still busy at the other 2 desks but the 2 retirement extension officers were both playing with their tablets.

15.05 One of the guys from the visa agents came in, presumably with a customer. The female retirement officer started processing him, the other continued with his tablet.

15.10 The 15.00 appointment was called. The re-entry desks now had no applicants, and number 171 was being processed at the 90 day desk.

15.25 The 15.00 appointment was finished, both the other desks had no applicants. One retirement officer began drinking from a coconut, the other played with his tablet. There were 7 people waiting inside.

15.35 The 15.30 appointment was called.

15.40 A guy approached the 90 day desk and was asked for his ticket. He said he didn't have one. One officer was on the phone, but the other officer processed him.

15.50 The 15.30 appointment was finished. Both officers played with their tablets. No applicants at the other desks.

16.05 A lady asked at the 90 day desk and was told, "Sorry, all tickets gone, come back tomorrow." She pointed out that it was only 16.05 but got the same reply.

16.10 Names began to be called at the Information desk and passports were returned.

16.12 One of the officers on the re-entry visa desk cleared his desk, picked up his briefcase and said goodnight.

16.15 My passport returned and I was out of there, just 2 persons left waiting. Officers now chatting to each other. Nobody at the desk outside.

So, just 4 online appointments, 1 applicant on the day, and 1 visa agent customer, processed for retirement extensions in over 2 hours, and at least one person turned away unnecessarily.

Very nice, informative report. They obviously could process more applicants, but choose not to.

And telling you to update a bank book that was updated that very day: That just sounds like harassment. But, maybe someone with a better understanding of the CM immigration system (or an apologist) could explain why you were required to update your bank book twice in the same day. There is no logical sense to that at all.

Archived