Immigration Promenada One Stop Service

Tywais

• Replies 597
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know there's a popular conspiracy theory as to why the on-line queue was discontinued, but the official story is that it was discontinued because there were so many (justified) complaints about how there were only 10 appointment slots on the queue and those would fill up within second of opening, how the queue was always full, how they needed to have more appointment times on the on-line queue, and how some people (maybe some conspiracy theorists?) thought that visa agents booked all the on-line queue appointments. Oh, and some people became angry when Immigration officers assisted people with queue appointments ahead of those who had gotten up early.

Obviously additional programming work is needed. But Bangkok has already let it be known how much they're supporting the Chiang Mai office.

Please read my interview with Prom. and Imm. again. I think we customers of Imm. have a good friend in the management of Prom. mall. Something we didn't have at the old location. I think we need to be supportive of Promenada and show them that it's worth spending money to help improve conditions for the customers at Imm. -- that might just include helping with this on-line queue issue.

Indeed it was a justified reason to shut it down. They couldn't improve on it so it was unfair to the majority of the expats so they shut it down to give all the same chance. Perhaps in the future they will be able to make the proper adjustments to the system. In the mean time we will have to except the fact that we are not living back home where they could solve any problem.

As for how much Bangkok is supporting the Chiang Mai office it is not clear. We know there will be no new building but what about additional staff? Also will they be able to rent another room there?

As I said in my earlier post I went in today at 1:30 talked to the girls at the table out side and proceeded to the agent a few doors down. They said no problem. Some thing about an appointment they had that they could put off until Monday. I think what the agents do is book appointments for the afternoon even if they don't have a client. I recall last week when I first talked to them they said that if I had my passport there by 11:00 in the morning they could have an appointment in the afternoon.

As for the Promenada helping. That is just plain common sense for them. There was still not a lot of people in the mall but defiantly more than before immigration moved in.

Bottom line is they still have a lot of room for improvement and as was mentioned earlier they were starting this is not the end.

Do you really believe shutting down the "online queue system" because some people asked immigration for more appointment slots is justified, instead of just improving this vital service? It is clear to figure out who looses by this decision. Try to think who benefits from this discontinued service. This is not rocket science or some sort of conspiracy theory as another poster suggested.

# 479 - wonderful news. ie use a visa agent.

Now, I only need a reasonable yet efficient agent. Have narrowed it down to two.

Visa extension is now relatively expensive - travel, accommodation & agent fee.

Any comment on preferred visa agent/s?

The one next to immigration have same day preferred access to immigration for some reason. They are cheaper than the others and you don't even have to go in to the immigration offices.

I used them yesterday and had to go into the immigration office to have my picture taken.

I know there's a popular conspiracy theory as to why the on-line queue was discontinued, but the official story is that it was discontinued because there were so many (justified) complaints about how there were only 10 appointment slots on the queue and those would fill up within second of opening, how the queue was always full, how they needed to have more appointment times on the on-line queue, and how some people (maybe some conspiracy theorists?) thought that visa agents booked all the on-line queue appointments. Oh, and some people became angry when Immigration officers assisted people with queue appointments ahead of those who had gotten up early.

Obviously additional programming work is needed. But Bangkok has already let it be known how much they're supporting the Chiang Mai office.

Please read my interview with Prom. and Imm. again. I think we customers of Imm. have a good friend in the management of Prom. mall. Something we didn't have at the old location. I think we need to be supportive of Promenada and show them that it's worth spending money to help improve conditions for the customers at Imm. -- that might just include helping with this on-line queue issue.

Indeed it was a justified reason to shut it down. They couldn't improve on it so it was unfair to the majority of the expats so they shut it down to give all the same chance. Perhaps in the future they will be able to make the proper adjustments to the system. In the mean time we will have to except the fact that we are not living back home where they could solve any problem.

As for how much Bangkok is supporting the Chiang Mai office it is not clear. We know there will be no new building but what about additional staff? Also will they be able to rent another room there?

As I said in my earlier post I went in today at 1:30 talked to the girls at the table out side and proceeded to the agent a few doors down. They said no problem. Some thing about an appointment they had that they could put off until Monday. I think what the agents do is book appointments for the afternoon even if they don't have a client. I recall last week when I first talked to them they said that if I had my passport there by 11:00 in the morning they could have an appointment in the afternoon.

As for the Promenada helping. That is just plain common sense for them. There was still not a lot of people in the mall but defiantly more than before immigration moved in.

Bottom line is they still have a lot of room for improvement and as was mentioned earlier they were starting this is not the end.

Do you really believe shutting down the "online queue system" because some people asked immigration for more appointment slots is justified, instead of just improving this vital service? It is clear to figure out who looses by this decision. Try to think who benefits from this discontinued service. This is not rocket science or some sort of conspiracy theory as another poster suggested.

Try to think who gains by only 10 a day being offered. You would be upset if you were in the majority who had not been able to get one of the ten slots available. Why all of a sudden the big interest? It has been going on for quite a while. I have no complaint and I was one of the lucky ones one year to get it. If you are physically impaired or live a great distance away I see where it would be considered vital. But when I have been in there many times I do not see to many physical impaired. I have no idea of how far they come for it either. I believe ones like Fang37 should be given some sort of alternative. Perhaps a roving agent with the authority to sign the passports.

Now, I only need a reasonable yet efficient agent. Have narrowed it down to two.

The one next to immigration have same day preferred access to immigration for some reason. They are cheaper than the others and you don't even have to go in to the immigration offices.
I used them yesterday and had to go into the immigration office to have my picture taken.

I know for a fact that one of the girls at the agency can use a mobile to take the photos, perhaps you were the chosen one.

Try to think who gains by only 10 a day being offered. You would be upset if you were in the majority who had not been able to get one of the ten slots available. Why all of a sudden the big interest? It has been going on for quite a while. I have no complaint and I was one of the lucky ones one year to get it. If you are physically impaired or live a great distance away I see where it would be considered vital. But when I have been in there many times I do not see to many physical impaired. I have no idea of how far they come for it either. I believe ones like Fang37 should be given some sort of alternative. Perhaps a roving agent with the authority to sign the passports.

Well, it just so happens I did think of who gains by having the "online queue system." Actually, anyone with a computer which was about 10 people a day, and some days not all of the appointment slots were taken.

The "online queue system" wasn't discontinued until immigration moved to Promenada. I started asking about this service as soon as I knew it was no longer offered. Every time I asked immigration staff, I was told it would be back on-line soon.

Try to think how easily the visa service you used was able to get you into immigration. Give that one some thought.

Another question - if I need to get my extension to stay and my re-entry permit moved from my old passport to my new passport will it be the old immigration office or the new one?

Go to the old office first, unless you live near the new one.

Wait until the end of today by which time it is highly likely someone will have posted the real answer.

Okay, using this forum is like trying to figure out what and where at Chiang Mai immigration. So appropriate for Thailand. Thanks guys!

CONFIRMED today Sept 18th, 2015 at 11:50am at Chiang Mai, Airport Immigration Office - this IS the current location to transfer and move visas and re-entry permits from an old expiring passport into a new passport. And, the from that says Bangkok Immigration on it in two places IS the correct form to use as well . I used Don's link here - http://donslifeinthailand.com/files/Transfer_Visa_To_New_Passport_ChiangMai.pdf - this is correct PDF used to move an old visa and re-entry stamps at Chiang Mai Immigration.

However, my wife only talked to 3 people at immigration and most of us here in this forum know/appreciate/understand that it takes 6 friendly/smiling Thai hosts to assist us grateful visitors with any one task in the LOS. So, take all this information with a grain of salt, as you own experience may vary with the wind and monsoon rains.

Yes, my wife does have the letter from her embassy and we copied EVERY page with a stamp in her old passport with ANY kind of stamp. I learned I need ALL Thai stamps 3 months previously to transfer and move my own visa and permit.

One uniformed person said come back tomorrow (Saturday) at 6:30am. My wife politely groaned and another uniform piped it... it would be okay to show up Monday at 8am.

Other updates: Inspection of the 11:50am Chiang Mai Airport Immigration office had 10 people sitting in chairs waiting and 1 car parking spot available, but we took that.

You'll have to go to Immigration to have your picture taken, but as NJ has told us, this will probably happen very quickly with an agent helping you.. And you still will have to return to Immigration, probably around 5pm to pickup your passport. The agent next to the Immigration office appears to be a good deal.

You'll have to go to Immigration to have your picture taken, but as NJ has told us, this will probably happen very quickly with an agent helping you.. And you still will have to return to Immigration, probably around 5pm to pickup your passport. The agent next to the Immigration office appears to be a good deal.

I know of at least three people who had their picture by a young lady on a mobile phone in the agency within the last 2 weeks and did NOT have to attend immigration.

Maybe that has changed?

Well, it just so happens I did think of who gains by having the "online queue system." Actually, anyone with a computer which was about 10 people a day, and some days not all of the appointment slots were taken.

The "online queue system" wasn't discontinued until immigration moved to Promenada. I started asking about this service as soon as I knew it was no longer offered. Every time I asked immigration staff, I was told it would be back on-line soon.

Try to think how easily the visa service you used was able to get you into immigration. Give that one some thought.

I tried and failed several times I did how ever succeed once. Why all of a sudden are you concerned with improving the service. You never seemed to complain about it before.

What happens after the 20 queue tickets have been seen to by immigration? Do they call it a day, early or can late shows turn up & get seen?

I tried to ask that question and it was like talking to an empty chair. One possible solution could be to train every one to do the yearly extensions. I noticed that some of the desks had no one at them to be served. The agent just sat there. Like the single reentry and the multiple reentry desks had no one applying yesterday in the afternoon when I was there the agents just sat there.

My wife and I attended immigration at promenade at 11.10 for an appointment at 11.30 arranged by our visa agent who is a forum sponsor, we were called in at 11.15 and out at 11.30, during this time the officer at the desk processed another two applications for an agent not the same as ours so I think, in all that was 4 applications dealt with in 15 mins. The reason I witnessed this was that passport reader was not working properly, other wise we have been in and out in 5 mins, we did have our photos taken as well

Good service and I would use an agent again, we did have our photos taken as well.

Returned at 2pm to get our re entry permits, and passport out at 2.10

What happens after the 20 queue tickets have been seen to by immigration? Do they call it a day, early or can late shows turn up & get seen?

As Northernjohn said...

On the 16th, I asked to the young pretty at the front desk. Answer: "No more than 20 queue cards a day!", then mouth closed with no more explanation...

On the other hand: does she really know, or does she only say what she was told to say?

Not that I would advocate that everyone uses an agent ,it is a personal choice that is not suitable for everyone, or within everyones personal finances, but what witnessed today there is potential for two officers working as a team to process 120 plus retirement extensions per day.That is if all applications were first checked by an agent before submission.

I chose to use an agent because I came to live here to enjoy my retirement, not waking up at a silly time to get a visa extension.

If however I could just turn up and be seen within an hour or so that would be just fine. (dream on)

Maybe immigration could offer a premium service as most govt agencies do in the west for say 2500 extra.

But at the moment agents offer that service, and good luck to them for filling a gap in the market.

To be honest how many of us are just jelouse that we did not see the gap in the market years ago.Like coffee shops there may be an agent near you soon.

So, my question, which I'm sure others are wondering too, is can the agency book appointments, and the average Joe or Nancy farang can't. How is it that all the numbers have been handed out, but, low and behold, the agency can get right in and get you processed? How's that work?

Well I went in today at 1:30 talked to the girls out side. Was informed they only give out 20 numbers a day. I asked what if it is 3:00 and they had seen all 20 she informed me that they only give out 20 a day. Was like talking to an empty chair. I asked her what number they were on now and she said 11. I thanked her went next door to the outfit that does it for 3,000 baht asked them if they could handle it for me they said yes. I would have to wait a little bit to get my picture taken. Sat there for a bit they called me took me next door took my picture and I was out of there at 2:15. Paid her the 4,900 baht for the registration fee and her services had a bite to eat saw a movie picked up my passport and I am set for another year.

The girl who took me to the immigration office was tired she said she had to get up every day at 4:00 in the morning. As said elsewhere not professionals but then again the final result was just as good as a professional with a masters degree. The best part of it was I didn't have to chase all over town. One stop and I was done. I am not sure how they do it but I think they get tickets for the afternoon regardless if any one is scheduled or not. I was out of there in 45 minutes after I showed up and I noticed the queue tickets on his desk said 15. I doubt he had done 4 in half an hour when she told me 11. Also it was nice to see they had a loudspeaker. Only a few hanging around out side when I got there so I went inside and there was 33 sitting in there waiting. Left after the show a meal and some shopping and noticed their was still about 7 or 8 staff working.

So, my question, which I'm sure others are wondering too, How is it that all the 20 queue numbers for retirement visas have been handed out by the Promenade Immigration opening, but, low and behold, the agency can get right in and get you processed, but the average John or Nancy farang, had to have shown up at Zero-Dark-Thirty and have gotten one of the 20 queue number in order to be seen by an Immigration Officer on that day?

Another thing to consider, don't you need a passport in hand showing you're within the time period to apply for an extension and that you're in valid need of a queue number for a retirement extension. If an agency is given a block of queue numbers, but are not representing an actual client who at that moment is in current need of an extension, how can they get queue number or an 'appointment' slot (if this is actually happening)? If they can get queue numbers for 'potential' clients as opposed to actual clients, and those queue numbers are not used, then the fact is that less then 20 clients are being seen while the agency(ies) are sitting on unused queue numbers. If 20 queue numbers are being handed out, are 20 clients in need of retirement visas being processed each day? And if the agency is not actually obtaining queue numbers like the rest of us, how are they getting appointments?

So tell me, how does that work?

And note - I want to stress this: I am not accusing Immigration or any agency of impropriety. I'm just asking a very simple, valid question. There should be a very simple and valid answer to the question.

To my mind, as long as all agents are being treated equally, we can grumble about having to use one but that's all we can grumble about. If, however, one agent is getting access to the afternoon appointments and the other agents in town are not, that is a different matter altogether and will have the appearance of not being above board.

At the moment we don't know if all agents have the same access to appointments, and until we do there is going to be a very big question mark over the whole process. It is something which needs to be established, and I think it is in the interests of all to do it quickly. If it isn't, we will and must ask ourselves why this is not a transparent interaction.

Not that I would advocate that everyone uses an agent ,it is a personal choice that is not suitable for everyone, or within everyones personal finances, but what witnessed today there is potential for two officers working as a team to process 120 plus retirement extensions per day.That is if all applications were first checked by an agent before submission.

I chose to use an agent because I came to live here to enjoy my retirement, not waking up at a silly time to get a visa extension.

If however I could just turn up and be seen within an hour or so that would be just fine. (dream on)

Maybe immigration could offer a premium service as most govt agencies do in the west for say 2500 extra.

But at the moment agents offer that service, and good luck to them for filling a gap in the market.

To be honest how many of us are just jelouse that we did not

see the gap in the market years ago.Like coffee shops there may be an agent near you soon.

I believe CH Imm indirectly already offer a premium service cheaper than the other agents?

Well I went in today at 1:30 talked to the girls out side. Was informed they only give out 20 numbers a day. I asked what if it is 3:00 and they had seen all 20 she informed me that they only give out 20 a day. Was like talking to an empty chair. I asked her what number they were on now and she said 11. I thanked her went next door to the outfit that does it for 3,000 baht asked them if they could handle it for me they said yes. I would have to wait a little bit to get my picture taken. Sat there for a bit they called me took me next door took my picture and I was out of there at 2:15. Paid her the 4,900 baht for the registration fee and her services had a bite to eat saw a movie picked up my passport and I am set for another year.

Thank you northernjohn for your first hand report thumbsup.gif

It seems now clear one can get his visa extension through this "agency" right the day one shows at Imm.

I'm due for my retirement extension at the end of January 2016. If nothing improved at this time, I may follow your route...

BTW I would be very curious to know how the "agency" can provide valid queue "passes" at any time of the day.

Just rethorical, here wink.png

Using this visa service is the desired effect of shutting down the "online queue system." If you are able to add 1+1, you already know the answer to your question.

Thank you northernjohn for your first hand report thumbsup.gif

It seems now clear one can get his visa extension through this "agency" right the day one shows at Imm.

I'm due for my retirement extension at the end of January 2016. If nothing improved at this time, I may follow your route...

BTW I would be very curious to know how the "agency" can provide valid queue "passes" at any time of the day.

Just rethorical, here wink.png

Using this visa service is the desired effect of shutting down the "online queue system." If you are able to add 1+1, you already know the answer to your question.

actually I don't think they give a hoot about the on line service system. It only serviced a small part of the population. What they care about is using the agents they can receive the proper paper work with out having to explain it to the applicant. I watched many an applicant at the airport have to go out back to get photocopies and then come back.

actually I don't think they give a hoot about the on line service system. It only serviced a small part of the population. What they care about is using the agents they can receive the proper paper work with out having to explain it to the applicant. I watched many an applicant at the airport have to go out back to get photocopies and then come back.

I've been doing my own yearly extension paperwork for 5 years (the business I worked for did the paperwork prior to that).

Every year my paperwork is completely in order including me making copies of anything that I anticipate they may ask for (even docs they never asked for before - just in case). I check all the TV threads regarding annual extensions prior to my appointment (which I can't make anymore) in order to see if any regulations have changed. I don't want to use an agent when I am completely capable of supplying CM Immigration with all the forms and documents that they require. It's a waste of money to get an agent. But I also don't want to get up at 3am in the morning to drive from rural rice-paddy-land in order to get in line to obtain one of the coveted 20 queue numbers, if I can actually get one of the coveted 20 queue numbers. It's a waste of time. Especially when the On-Line queue system worked just fine for me.

Now, I can understand how an agent can get a queue number for you if you contacted that agent 2 to 4 weeks in advance, but how can an agent get a queue number for you if you show up at immigration without an appointment, you're unable to get a queue number after standing in line, and then you contact some arbitrary agent without prior notice and after all the queue numbers have been issued, and the agent can get you processed that day. I think it's perplexing. Very confusing. Magic? Maybe I should burn more incense and candles before heading out for my extension?

Like others, I now feel forced to contact an agent, and all the agents I've spoken with have told me to contact them 2 to 4 weeks prior to the end of my current extension. So, it's all very confusing. What's the difference between the various agents? Some can do same day service without prior notification after all the queue numbers are handed out <see post 472>, and some want 2 or 4 weeks prior notification.

Humm? I am totally perplexed and confused?

@Connda - contact G4, adjacent to Prom Imm office and make an appointment. They will charge 3k Bt to present your docs and get the stamp at the time of your choosing. They have ppl stand in line at ~4am to get queue cards and use them for walk-ins like NorthernJohn.

VisaAssist [sponsor] have their own methods and charge a bit more but will also prepare your docs and assist ppl getting to their appointment, perhaps not necessary for you.

So an agency is taking queue numbers that then won't be available to Joe Public who might arrive at 6am, on the off chance that they are going to get that many paying customers a day? And the spots that they get over their number of paying customers a day are wasted when Joe could have had one?

That doesn't sound equitable or fair at all, especially if only 20 slots per day are being processed.

I never go in for conspiracy theories, but if this is the case, I feel that we are only part way into the masterplan and the next cunning instalment hasn't surfaced yet. It just doesn't make sense that this would be it; how it's going to be from now on. For one thing, there are more people wanting extensions in Chiang Mai than 20 per day. That's only 100 per week, or 5,000 per year. Doesn't stack up very well when compared to the numbers Tywais was able to come up a couple of weeks ago.

For that reason, until informed otherwise, I'm calling conspiracy.

So an agency is taking queue numbers that then won't be available to Joe Public who might arrive at 6am, on the off chance that they are going to get that many paying customers a day? And the spots that they get over their number of paying customers a day are wasted when Joe could have had one?

That doesn't sound equitable or fair at all, especially if only 20 slots per day are being processed.

I never go in for conspiracy theories, but if this is the case, I feel that we are only part way into the masterplan and the next cunning instalment hasn't surfaced yet. It just doesn't make sense that this would be it; how it's going to be from now on. For one thing, there are more people wanting extensions in Chiang Mai than 20 per day. That's only 100 per week, or 5,000 per year. Doesn't stack up very well when compared to the numbers Tywais was able to come up a couple of weeks ago.

Call it what you like, it is what it is and if Connda wants fast tracking it costs 3k upwards.

I agree with BM's the standard of services should be improved, and may be soon, but prefer to keep an open mind on what is coming instead of whining and speculating about the current set up.

US$100 (extra fee) for processing ONE annual extension is acceptable and online/mail reporting is available. CMEC have arranged a special members deal at only 200BT extra ... join up if you want to take advantage and avoid early am queues or fast track fees.

Call it what you like, it is what it is and if Connda wants fast tracking it costs 3k upwards.

I agree with BM's the standard of services should be improved, and may be soon, but prefer to keep an open mind on what is coming instead of whining and speculating about the current set up.

US$100 (extra fee) for processing ONE annual extension is acceptable and online/mail reporting is available. CMEC have arranged a special members deal at only 200BT extra ... join up if you want to take advantage and avoid early am queues or fast track fees.

"Something is rotten in the state of Denmark".

Yes, matters are not as clear as they should be, but recent efforts by NancyL might produce some positive results. It remains to be seen. Stay tuned! Anyway, she has made a provocative offer for joining the Chiang Mai Expats Club! tongue.png Seriously, NancyL has obviously made a consistent effort to do something to improve the situation for expatriates in Chiang Mai, and she deserves credit and support for doing so! If you don't know what I am talking about, check out the Expats Club site.

Yes, matters are not as clear as they should be, but recent efforts by NancyL might produce some positive results. It remains to be seen. Stay tuned! Anyway, she has made a provocative offer for joining the Chiang Mai Expats Club! tongue.png Seriously, NancyL has obviously made a consistent effort to do something to improve the situation for expatriates in Chiang Mai, and she deserves credit and support for doing so! If you don't know what I am talking about, check out the Expats Club site.

Ok, I've looked at the site and see nothing regarding immigration issues with the exception of the Oct 22, 2014 interview with CM Immigration which is water under the bridge. So, respectfully, I don't know what you're talking about. What I'm I suppose to be looking for that is going to enlighten be to the present situation and issues with CM Immigration.

Actually I don't want a fast track, and I don't want to play the agency game. I simply want to make an appointment online like I've done for the last three years.

And regarding this statement: "CMEC have arranged a special members deal at only 200BT extra ... join up if you want to take advantage and avoid early am queues or fast track fees."

I don't understand that at all, and I've just looked at the CMEC site a few minutes ago. I'm clueless.

Archived