Immigration Promenada One Stop Service

Tywais

Any chance of starting a thread to give experiences at the new office.

If you haven't noticed this is a new thread about the new office and members experiences and started only 3 days ago, 2 days of the actual office opening. From my OP - "will use this topic for details and members experience with how the new location works"

We don't know how many active TV members have used the new office or had a need to yet so we can't judge the number of experiences yet on this. I closed out the old topic because of too much guessing in it and stale. I even pinned this for a period so it doesn't get lost.

• Replies 597
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would be good to know how people are getting on with renewing their retirement visas without an appointment?

Is there anyone from immigration there early so we can get a queue ticket?

What time have members been getting to Promenada to get one?

Important questions for me as someone who does not go down the appointment route as I could never be awake at midnight these days to do itsad.png

But I can get up at 3 or 4am to go and get a ticket.

It would be good to know how people are getting on with renewing their retirement visas without an appointment?

Important questions for me as someone who does not go down the appointment route as I could never be awake at midnight these days to do itsad.png

Good post/questions Pauly

I am wondering the same but about the other branch (marriage extensions) :)

I think it may actually be a problem (for now) that this thread is pinned. People just don't have the habit of looking at pinned topics. They think they're references items about doctors, or what to do when you die.

A friend called to report on how his retirement extension was processed this morning. He had an appointment and the Immigration officer was 20 minutes late in calling his name, but apologized for being late. He said there was only one I/O for each function -- one for retirement extensions, one for 90 day reports, one for re-entry permits and they didn't have assistants like they did at the old office. Customers have to wait outside in the heat and there aren't enough chairs. He wondered how people without appointments were even being seen -- at best the one officer could handle maybe one between appointments.

His appointment was at 10:30 and he was told to come back after lunch to pick up his passport.

He wasn't asked to provide any proof of address.

They did have a couple of interns screening documents, but they missed a copy that he needed. He also heard them tell someone that doing a retirement extension counts as doing a 90-day report. Wrong!

He says the new office is very clean and uncluttered. I guess that's nice anyway.

NancyL,

Regarding the 90 day report and extension, it used to be that THE FIRST extension was a 90 day report.... has this changed?

Notification of staying in the Kingdom over 90 days Procedure and notification
  1. The foreigner makes the notification in person, or
  2. The foreigner authorises another person to make the notification, or
  3. The foreigner makes the notification by registered mail.
  4. The notification must be made within 15 days before or after 7 days the period of 90 days expires.
  5. The first application for extension of stay by the foreigner is equivalent to the notification of staying in the Kingdom over 90 days.

When I talked to them the last time I was in the fellow told me they try to do 50 a day. That day they did 61. Only 10 appointments a day are allowed so it is really more a matter of luck than skill. One poster said he was using two computers at the first moment available one made it and the other didn't. I don't see it getting any easier to make an on line appointment. I did manage to make one last year and it was pure luck as it was 98 days before my renewable was due. I every once in a while have a look and it is always full. I am going to see if I can get some information today as I am going in for a single reentry.

A friend called to report on how his retirement extension was processed this morning. He had an appointment and the Immigration officer was 20 minutes late in calling his name, but apologized for being late. He said there was only one I/O for each function -- one for retirement extensions, one for 90 day reports, one for re-entry permits and they didn't have assistants like they did at the old office. Customers have to wait outside in the heat and there aren't enough chairs. He wondered how people without appointments were even being seen -- at best the one officer could handle maybe one between appointments.

His appointment was at 10:30 and he was told to come back after lunch to pick up his passport.

He wasn't asked to provide any proof of address.

They did have a couple of interns screening documents, but they missed a copy that he needed. He also heard them tell someone that doing a retirement extension counts as doing a 90-day report. Wrong!

He says the new office is very clean and uncluttered. I guess that's nice anyway.

NancyL,

Regarding the 90 day report and extension, it used to be that THE FIRST extension was a 90 day report.... has this changed?

Notification of staying in the Kingdom over 90 days Procedure and notification
  1. The foreigner makes the notification in person, or
  2. The foreigner authorises another person to make the notification, or
  3. The foreigner makes the notification by registered mail.
  4. The notification must be made within 15 days before or after 7 days the period of 90 days expires.
  5. The first application for extension of stay by the foreigner is equivalent to the notification of staying in the Kingdom over 90 days.

You're right, the first extension of an actual visa counts as a 90-day report. But, an extension of an extension doesn't count. Since I'm hearing this second-hand I don't know the actual situation and it's not clear if the intern asked the appropriate clarifying question.

Have just returned from CM Immigration airport location had an appointment for 10 AM for my annual married visa the process started on time and completed at 10:45. Noticed the sign said Spouse Visa.

Fast and efficient, parking lot half full and adequate seating inside the place sure looks shabby without the throngs hiding walls and decor.

I imagine conditions are quiet now at the old airport location because all the throngs are out at Promenada. I decided to venture out there today when I couldn't do a 90 day report on-line for me and a friend. This despite being success with Hubby's on-line report a couple weeks ago. Learned later from one seasoned I/O at Promenada that they have the 90-day on-line report system for CM off-line for a few days because of the move.!

I negotiated a 200 baht tuk-tuk fare from Kad Suan Kaew area and arrived just before 12:00 to find all the retirees patiently waiting:

post-68373-0-60448300-1437560979_thumb.j

Seriously, we're expected to wait outside, under Tom Tom Coffee, next to the sheep and goat pen. You can see everyone waiting just beyond the pen:

post-68373-0-46610700-1437561081_thumb.j

It's outside, in the heat. There aren't enough chairs. No signage about where to get queue numbers. No sign board about which queue number is being served. The Immigration officers were inside a big aircon room and it was clear they only wanted the current customers to venture inside.

post-68373-0-83925700-1437561295_thumb.j

There is a copy shop and a nice little Coffee Shop, serving fresh goat milk, presumably from our new friends.

post-68373-0-03226500-1437561400_thumb.j

The Immigration officers looked nice and cool inside their new office. It is clean and pretty. Roomy, too. Not cluttered with ill-mannered, poorly-dressed, smelly foreigners waiting to be served. No sir -- we're all outside in the heat, milling around. That is, except for some octogenarians I saw, who looked pretty exhausted since they'd been outside waiting for at least 7 or 8 hours. At least they'd scored chairs. There isn't any special arrangement for them to sit in the cool, empty space. Too bad it can't be like at the government hospitals, where the Thai octogenarians go to the head of the line.

post-68373-0-17555000-1437561651_thumb.j

There is one officer processing retirement extensions. Yes -- ONE! Admittedly she is probably the best on the force, but there is only so much she can do. She was on number 17 of the walk-ins when I finally was seen at 3:30 pm. That means she did all the appointments, plus 17 people who queue up that morning by 3:30 pm. I talked with people waiting and they were told only 24 queue tickets were given out that day for retirement extensions. In the old place, they had THREE officers doing retirement extensions. At least she had an intern helping her today, unlike previous days, but still she was exhausted. At one point she stood up, stretched and rotated her neck and back around like it really hurt. Come on -- get her some help!

The 90-day desk had two people, an intern and sometime a lady who was a supervisor came over and helped too. They had it moving along. They were up to number 105 for the day by 3:30 pm. As I said, one of the senior guys said something about the computer being down for on-line 90 day reports for a few days, which may be causing an increased demand. There was no request for proof of address. I brought the report for a friend and they didn't want to see a letter of permission from him, either. They just wanted to move along, processing 90 day reports.

As for mail-in 90 day reports, the word is to continue to mail them to the old location, at least for a few weeks. Eventually, it seems the plan is to process them at Promenada, but right now they don't have their computers up and running. The same senior guy who told me the computers aren't running also confined that they were running passports over to the old location for approval of retirement extensions, because the computers weren't working yet at Promenada. That's why people were waiting so long.

So, I arrived at 11:58 am. Found no one available to give me a queue number. Ate a nice lunch at The Duke's where I ran into friends, got queue numbers for 90 day report around 1:15 and finally got done around 3:30 pm. I sure hope the on-line 90 day report is working next time. I really don't want to see the sheep and goats again.

I was in today for single reentry. Went in about 3:00 maybe a little earlier. They had three girls doing some thing outside. We got a ticket from them number 40. Lot's of room to sit out side. Saw 4 chairs inside. It is going to take a while to improve the system there. They aren't even using the good parts from the airport office. There was no numbers at each desk so you had no idea where you were in the line. For all I knew they could have been working on the tenth application.

As Nancy said it would appear that each officer had a trainee. Mine was useless. I was talking-to a fellow who said he had been there about 2 hours for the 90 day and figured there was 5 ahead of him.

I went over to a desk and talked to The same officer as Nancy had talked to. I asked in a nice way how long he thought it would be for me with number 40. I was prepared to have a meal and walk away if he thought it couldn't be done today. He said it looked like they were on number 35. I went outside sat down next to my wife for about 5 minutes when the trainee came out. A lady showed him her number 41 and he told her to go in. The wife showed are number 40 and he told us to go in.

I sat in the chair waiting while number 41 completed her's in good time. I then moved over and He prosseased mine in good time less than 5 minutes. I had to fill in one space I had missed. The wife did all the talking. I noticed that the number 43 was laying on the desk. The trainee took my 1,000 baht and wrote the recipt as well as wandering around looking for people with the red tags in no particular order. I had proof of residence and he just ignored it was not necessary. Makes no difference I always take it for any thing there.

Seriously considering getting an agent for my yearly in October. They only had the one lady there I believe she was the one at desk 5 at the airport. I was expecting them to have the fellow from desk 6 there also but they did not even have a desk for any one else.

The one fellow I had talked to lives way out in the woods. He said he went to the airport first and it was full of Burmese.

nice informative post and pics of the new zoo nancysmile.png

the pics and described service show that the zoo is is still aptly named

give u the tom thumb(drum)biggrin.png pom my super duper visa agent is a mere 2 city blocks from your place and at 5000 baht the box and dice plus saloon passage is given. for the needs u requiresmile.png

BTW did u checked the dunnys(toilets) out at the new zoo????

a beautiful evening to allsmile.png

Interesting that I didn't see many agents in action at the New Zoo. Just one gal from Assist Thai Visa shepherding some clients thru 90 day reports, which is really odd, since you don't have to go do 90 day reports in person. Why did she even have them show up at Immigration? Maybe she was doing re-entry permits and/or extensions with them on the same day. I did see her helping people with those tasks, also. A couple of her clients didn't look very happy and she really was working hard, trying to keep track of multiple clients. Looked like she was doing a good job trying to get her clients thru the new system quickly.

This is in sharp contrast to my friend who was at the New Zoo a couple days ago and said it was crawling with very confused visa agents, clutching handfuls of passports and manila folders of paperwork, trying to figure out who to see to get their business done.

I have a theory, that maybe they're going to keep one of those three Immigration agents who used to handle retirement extensions at the old airport location to deal with the visa agents and their clients.

Frankly, there is nothing the matter with this and it would help to explain the lack of private offices at the new location and the fact they're talking about just having two officers handling retirement extensions instead of three like they used to have.

It would be interesting to get feedback from someone who did a retirement extension in the next few weeks using a visa agent. Given all the new drama, Hubby has decided to go to OS Thai Visa for his retirement extension in November.

nice informative post and pics of the new zoo nancysmile.png

the pics and described service show that the zoo is is still aptly named

give u the tom thumb(drum)biggrin.png pom my super duper visa agent is a mere 2 city blocks from your place and at 5000 baht the box and dice plus saloon passage is given. for the needs u requiresmile.png

BTW did u checked the dunnys(toilets) out at the new zoo????

a beautiful evening to allsmile.png

Yes, of course I checked out the toilets. That's high on my list. Back when Hubby and and had a greenhouse/nursery business and (for a variety of reasons) all we could offer our customers was a porta-potty, we made sure it was the best darn porta-potty they'd ever seen.

Like many Thai malls, the toilets at Promenada are few and far between and poorly labeled as to their location. But, like most modern Thai malls, once you manage to locate one, it's up to western standards.

There is a big problem in that Immigration customers won't have access to toilet facilities before the opening hours of the Rim Ping grocery store. I don't know this for a fact, but I did prowl around and look at the conditions and this would be my read. At least at the previous location, you could shimmy thru the opening between the building and the chain-link fence and use the poor-quality toilet which was OK for No. 1, but not suited for anything higher.

I must say that perhaps one reason the Thai mall people have few toilet facilities is to get their customers walking around the mall. I ended up buying some items I didn't intend and doing some banking business at a newly-discovered Bangkok Bank branch, all because I had to pee. I wish I'd found a Truevisions office, because our bill is due in a couple days!

Hi All

So can someone please tell me what is being processed at the new office and what is at the old one??

I have to do my 1 year renewal by 20th Aug

Thanks in advance

Chris

Chris, what basis are your extending your permission to stay? If it's because of retirement -- then you're off to Promenada. If it's because you're married to a Thai person, work or volunteer -- then you'll return to the old location near the airport. You can go anytime now, because you can extend your permission to stay 30 days in advance.

Good report Nancy.

The online reporting is working 100% ... Did mine at 1047 and email approval recd by 1500 today.

Is your reporting in Chiang Mai province, Kaptainrob?

My home (office/pc) is in Chiang Mai but the online system (database) is Bangkok based, afaik.

Why do you ask?

Good report Nancy.

The online reporting is working 100% ... Did mine at 1047 and email approval recd by 1500 today.

Is your reporting in Chiang Mai province, Kaptainrob?

My home (office/pc) is in Chiang Mai but the online system (database) is Bangkok based, afaik.

Why do you ask?

You're right that the 90-day online reporting system is Bangkok-based, but the local provinces have to approve each 90 day report. The senior officer told me they brought the CM portion of the system down for several days because of the move and that's why I wasn't successful in doing a report for myself when I'd been able to do it for Hubby a few weeks before. Yet, it seems that you, a CM resident, were able to do an on-line 90 day report yesterday, at about the same time when I was unable.

Hmm.... I doubt that the "senior officer" had a complete understanding of what was happening with their computer systems.

I suspect my failure to do a 90 day report on-line vs. success with Hubby's may be more related to the fact that this is my first 90-day report since an out-of-country trip in May and Hubby's last out-of-country trip was in 2014, so he's submitted several 90 day reports since then.

Going back a while it was indicated by some posters, who claimed to be in the know, that once a new office was created there would be more staff to handle all immigration matters.

It would appear from reports so far that they have simply relocated existing staff to Promenada and not increased numbers.In fact for extension of retirement visas there appear to be less officers

Nancy's comments regarding seating and waiting arrangements are relevant. Sitting outside, if it was in the hot months, would be unbearable. I don't think there is another immigration office in the country where this happens.

I know its early days but it appears to be a pretty shambolic effort from whoever is responsible for the move and its implementation.

Meanwhile the more people that do 90 day reports online or mail and get an online appointment for annual extension will obviously reduce the numbers waiting.That of course is a matter of choice for those who actually enjoy the experience and day out.

@Nancy - If you've re-entered the country since last 90 day report, online records do not match with an attempted report within the 8 day window.

I can't imagine a national db being manipulated by Chiang Mai, it's not sa if one has to select a reporting region. I imagine it was only access via CNX Immi which may have been interrupted by their relocation.

Going back a while it was indicated by some posters, who claimed to be in the know, that once a new office was created there would be more staff to handle all immigration matters.

It would appear from reports so far that they have simply relocated existing staff to Promenada and not increased numbers.In fact for extension of retirement visas there appear to be less officers

Nancy's comments regarding seating and waiting arrangements are relevant. Sitting outside, if it was in the hot months, would be unbearable. I don't think there is another immigration office in the country where this happens.

I know its early days but it appears to be a pretty shambolic effort from whoever is responsible for the move and its implementation.

Meanwhile the more people that do 90 day reports online or mail and get an online appointment for annual extension will obviously reduce the numbers waiting.That of course is a matter of choice for those who actually enjoy the experience and day out.

There is only 10 appointments a day available. You can book them up to 100 days ahead of time. Try doing it half an hour after midnight of the first day you can do it. Can't be done they are all gone. Besides it does not change the waiting time for the other people who were not LUCKY enough to get it.

What really would speed things up is if every one used an agent. Then their would be no delays while some one went and got a copy or signed papers or corrected mistakes on the application.

Defiantly the on line 90 day or mail in will help the line to get in for the 90 day. The more that do it the merrier it is for those who don't.

There is only 10 appointments a day available. You can book them up to 100 days ahead of time. Try doing it half an hour after midnight of the first day you can do it. Can't be done they are all gone. Besides it does not change the waiting time for the other people who were not LUCKY enough to get it.

What really would speed things up is if every one used an agent. Then their would be no delays while some one went and got a copy or signed papers or corrected mistakes on the application.

Defiantly the on line 90 day or mail in will help the line to get in for the 90 day. The more that do it the merrier it is for those who don't.

Just speculating.

Have you considered that perhaps what immigration wants is for all foreigners to work though agents in order make the visa agency services in Chiang Mai a multi-million baht business at the expense of expats and travelers, all of whom are rich, of course.

If you make the process hellish enough, then individual foreigners may decide their only option is to actively seek out visa agents just to keep from having to stand out in 40+ degree C. sun for multiple hours come the next hot season, no less being able to get a queue (that seems to be ignored now) either at the office or online.

By the way, does Lamphun still have an active Immigration Office or is that a thing of the past.

I was there on the morning of the 20th (first day) for a retirement extension appointment. Was served promptly. Told to come back after lunch to retrieve my passport. My passport finally appeared around 3:30. They send them to the old office to be signed off by someone. My Thai friend commented, the smell inside was quite strong.

Was there again today for an re-entry permit. They now have moved all the farang outside. No more smell. :)

Just speculating.

Have you considered that perhaps what immigration wants is for all foreigners to work though agents in order make the visa agency services in Chiang Mai a multi-million baht business at the expense of expats and travelers, all of whom are rich, of course.

If you make the process hellish enough, then individual foreigners may decide their only option is to actively seek out visa agents just to keep from having to stand out in 40+ degree C. sun for multiple hours come the next hot season, no less being able to get a queue (that seems to be ignored now) either at the office or online.

By the way, does Lamphun still have an active Immigration Office or is that a thing of the past.

I highly doubt they would be involved with that kind of a plan. As for forming a committee. I think Nancy covered it with this statement.

"If a new group of people, with some "sensitivity" could come forward to help and not just to complain, that would be most welcome."

Can you see it all now a group coming forth with sensitivity to tell immigration there new plan is a dismal failure so far. But if you will do this and this and this it will be a wonderful success.

I was there on the morning of the 20th (first day) for a retirement extension appointment. Was served promptly. Told to come back after lunch to retrieve my passport. My passport finally appeared around 3:30. They send them to the old office to be signed off by someone. My Thai friend commented, the smell inside was quite strong.

Was there again today for an re-entry permit. They now have moved all the farang outside. No more smell. smile.png

What time did you get there and what was the number you had? Also what time did you get to see the officer?

Archived