Prayut lays down the law on water

webfact

Prayut lays down the law on water
THE NATION

30264789-01_big.JPG

BANGKOK: -- PRIME MINISTER Prayut Chan-o-cha has given an urgent order to the public and private sector to conserve water as the country is braving a water shortage crisis, Deputy Government Spokesman Maj General Sansern Kaewkamnerd said yesterday.

The order said activities that consume huge amounts of water must be postponed or suspended throughout the crisis. Private-sector activities that use a lot of water such as golf courses, swimming pools and hotel rooms must resort to their reserve water supply first. The public sector must set a good role model in water conservation. "They must exercise conscience and consume water in a well-planned manner. Those who violate the order will face drastic action,'' he said.

Members of the public have been urged to refrain from certain activities such as washing their cars. "They should just wipe out the dust and be aware that we live under abnormal circumstances. They may think they have money to pay for tap water but please think again - we are in a water crisis,'' he said.

Farmers are strictly banned from diverting water to their farms from Saturday to Monday because water must be conserved to push sea intrusion that can tamper with tap water production otherwise people who use tap water would be affected.

Sansern said since the levels of water in large dams are still vulnerable, the government has given water for consumption first priority. The Cabinet has an urgent agenda to provide water for consumption for people hit by water shortages. Water would be donated from the central government to drought hit areas.

His Majesty the King has instructed that water service centres be established at Rat Pracha Nukhro schools across the country. The Interior Ministry would be the main agency soliciting support to help everyone get through the drought.

In terms of setting priority for farmers, the government would first provide water to farmers whose farms are close to harvests and gardeners whose trees would die without water. Farmers whose farms are not close to harvest would not get water and the government would provide compensation.

Agriculture Minister Pitipong Puengbun na Ayuddhya yesterday chaired a meeting of concerned agencies in Ayutthaya on the water crisis, stressing the need to help 22 central provinces on the Chao Phraya basin.

Agricultural Promotion Department director-general Olarn Pitak said the department established a help centre in the form of social media so that farmers can report their problems through social media channels, which he believes would enable them to solve problems fast. The department also supports farmers who want supplemental income by growing plants that consume less water and opt for diversified farming. The department also provides financial support in terms of agricultural loans and providing knowledge on crop sequencing.

In Buri Ram, five water-pumping stations were not able to pump water for rice farmers with 10,00 rai of farms because the water level in the Moon river has hit rock bottom and if they pump the water, fish farmers may be affected.

Officials now fear the water war among farmers in drought hit zones. Sombat Jamikorn, 60, a farmer in Tamuang and Anuchit Yiamram agreed that there could be a water war if the water crisis is prolonged. They called on the government to solve the problem by constructing small dams or provide water retention areas so farmers have water for consumption and for their livelihood in the long term.

Farmers in Ayutthaya are preparing for a ceremony to apologise to the spirits guarding rice farms for allowing their rice farm to go without water and die.

Many farmers in Nakhon Luang district depressedly looked at their farm after no more water from Lop Buri river was pumped into their farm.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Prayut-lays-down-the-law-on-water-30264789.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-07-20

Like anyone is going to listen and obey, not the Thai people I know, they're more of the Mai pen Rai

tribes, this directive doesn't apply to us, only to rich people, or, no one is looking,, or, what for?

I have plenty of water and so on and so forth,,,,

And none of this rain is helping?

A few rainshowers here and there will barely make a dent in the problem. Most of the water is absorbed by the soil and/or evaporates. Only a small percentage will make it into the aquifers and rivers (where drinking water comes from).

If you are referring to whether it will help with the task of washing a car, then sure.

What about a hose pipe ban? What about asking the public to collect rain water like they do in the country side? What about flushing the toilet only when you poo into it? Brush your teeth with a glass of water not with a tap running. These are advice given by other countries governments during water shortages. A little more research needed PM.

What about a hose pipe ban? What about asking the public to collect rain water like they do in the country side? What about flushing the toilet only when you poo into it? Brush your teeth with a glass of water not with a tap running. These are advice given by other countries governments during water shortages. A little more research needed PM.

I have never seen a toilet in Thailand, similar to the ones used in Australia. These are all 'FULL' flush or 'HALF'' flush.

It saves a few hundred litres week per person and it all ads up.

It took water shortages to do this, and maybe now Thailand needs to look at this for all future installations.

Many houses in both suburbs and country in Australia have water tanks, some for their entire water supply, others have smaller flat tanks against walls, to supplement domestic water.

Talking of hosepipe bans as Wilsonandson suggests, this is the law in London. Car washing is by bucket only, and garden watering is with a watering can.

My oh my, he does like to issue orders.

Maybe a habit he picked up in his last job where people had to do what they were told.

It's a little different getting a complete country to shout " how high ? " when he orders them to jump.

Edited by NongKhaiKid

I bet his car is spotlessly clean no doubts.

Of course! He's different. Of course!! BKK police chief has made it clear...rules do not apply if you have any sort of authority position.

It's a law that the law does not apply. That's the official stance.

I have never seen a toilet in Thailand, similar to the ones used in Australia. These are all 'FULL' flush or 'HALF'' flush.

It took water shortages to do this, and maybe now Thailand needs to look at this for all future installations.

Many houses in both suburbs and country in Australia have water tanks, some for their entire water supply, others have smaller flat tanks against walls, to supplement domestic water.

Talking of hosepipe bans as Wilsonandson suggests, this is the law in London. Car washing is by bucket only, and garden watering is with a watering can.

Full/half flush toilets you can get in any big home supply store in Thailand.

Homepro and others sell the half/full flush toilets ( but not so popular) and many hotels have adopted them.

I bet his car is spotlessly clean no doubts.

Yes and his favorite golf course gets irrigated every day.

How many times have section 44 been used ? Why not use it to ban the washing of cars, watering of gardens and irrigation golf courses (by the way there is no difference between irrigating crops and irrigating grass on a golf course or in a garden) ? The governments response to the drought has been very weak and is an indication of shrinking support. They are refraining from an all out ban on certain water uses in cities as this would undermine their support further. So they are sacrificing the farmers those votes they don't have and trying to retain the urban/BKK vote by imposing no strict water use restrictions.

In my country of birth they have water restrictions at present (in certain areas). Certain water uses aren't allowed, like watering your garden, washing cars, irrigating golf courses etc etc and each property are only allowed to use a certain volume of water per month. If you break these rules the municipality installs a waterflow regulator, that allows only enough water through for the property to reach the maximum water allowance. The government on all levels are running education programs on water conservation. This is how an democratic government acts on a crisis, without fear of the voters. May I add that the dams in that country is at 30% of capacity and the alarm bells was sounded at the 45% level, unlike here where water levels fell to 10% before anyone started to act.

I was driving down Soi 48 going to Rama 4 when I passed one of those water trucks we have all seen that water the plants/shrubs along the roads with a crew of the street sweeper ladies sweeping ahead and a guy from the truck with a firehose washing the street gutter. I mean a HUGH amount of water gushing from this hose. So... Like everything else here, ALL talk and NO action. Like with tourists, when it's all gone they will scratch thier heads and wonder what happened.

That didn't seem to stop the rice farmers around Pathum Thani and close to were I live from growing their rice all year, including the dry spell (I refuse to call anything in Thailand a drought). There is always plenty of water, as long as it is managed properly.

I am not a thai basher but nobody appears to heed the warning about water shortage I see them washing their motorbikes and cars and completely wasting water hosing down certain areas and nobody around to tell them they are doing wrong .

Time to look at re-cycling or reclaiming of waste water a la Singapore Newater (reverse Osmosis and microfiltration) or de-salination. The budget used for the submarine deal could easily pay for a deslination plant.

Will the big breweries in BKK go without water. Of course not , they are owned by too many rich folk. The taps will run dry before the breweries. Not that I think it is a prob. as rain is here now. rivers up here north of C'Rai are nearly full.

Why would they stop? Some folks just prefer beer instead of water but it does not change the volume of liquid consumed.

I was driving down Soi 48 going to Rama 4 when I passed one of those water trucks we have all seen that water the plants/shrubs along the roads with a crew of the street sweeper ladies sweeping ahead and a guy from the truck with a firehose washing the street gutter. I mean a HUGH amount of water gushing from this hose. So... Like everything else here, ALL talk and NO action. Like with tourists, when it's all gone they will scratch thier heads and wonder what happened.

That water goes back in the river.. and helps against the salt in the river that is a problem for the tap water production. So there is no real problem that way. Also its not clear where that water comes from if its tap water or if it comes from an other source.

Its easy to condemn but one needs to know all the facts.

The watering of the scrubs.. yes that is a problem as that water gets used up.