Trump's self-paid presidential run means he's not going away

webfact

Trump's self-paid presidential run means he's not going away
By JULIE BYKOWICZ

WASHINGTON (AP) — Donald Trump faced an avalanche of fresh criticism Monday for questioning Sen. John McCain's heroism. But he's getting no pressure at all from the one community that could push a candidate out of the 2016 presidential race: political donors.

The billionaire businessman is paying for his own campaign, and that means Republicans may have him around far longer than some party leaders would like.

"Nobody leaves a race because they get tired, or because they think they don't have the votes. They leave the race because they run out of money," said Frank Luntz, a GOP pollster. "Donald Trump will never run out of money, and that makes him incredibly powerful."

Indeed, Republican operatives suggest that Trump enjoys a rare freedom.

Because he doesn't need tens of millions of dollars from wealthy donors — a notoriously risk-averse crowd — the standard rules of politics simply don't apply. He can afford, literally, to continue dropping the verbal bombs that have defined his presidential campaign since the day he joined the 2016 contest in June.

At his formal announcement last month, Trump portrayed immigrants from Mexico as criminals and rapists. Then, at a conservative summit in Iowa last weekend, he dismissed McCain's reputation as a war hero, saying of the Arizona senator who was held five years as a prisoner of war in Vietnam, "I like people who weren't captured."

Trump defended his comments repeatedly over the weekend, but appeared to toning down his rhetoric late Monday.

"If there was a misunderstanding, I would totally take that back," he said in an evening interview on Fox News Channel's "The O'Reilly Factor". On "CBS Evening News", he said, "I don't know if I made a mistake."

Critics began piling on Trump immediately after he made his comments on Saturday, and new voices emerged on Monday, from veterans groups, Republican colleagues and President Barack Obama's spokesman, who defended McCain and called on Trump to apologize.

Paul Rieckhoff, founder of Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America, said Monday that Trump's "asinine comments" were "an insult to everyone who has ever worn the uniform — and to all Americans."

White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest said veterans "are entitled to an apology."

A candidate reliant on campaign contributions probably would be feeling the pain by now.

Yet the self-funded Trump can proceed as he wishes. After leveling new criticism against McCain early Monday, saying the senator had made America "less safe" through his votes in Congress, he lashed out at fellow GOP presidential aspirants who have criticized his remarks, calling them "failed politicians."

Trump said he did not need "to be lectured by any of them."

"If he were dependent on donors for his campaign, he would find the vast majority of donors would be looking for other candidates at this point," said Fred Malek, who has raised money for Republican presidential hopefuls for four decades.

Presidential competitors in both parties, and the outside groups supporting them, have already raised about $400 million for the 2016 White House contest, the majority of the money coming from donors who face no limits on their contributions.

Trump hasn't solicited a dime. Reports filed last week with federal regulators show he loaned his campaign $1.8 million. He has never held a fundraising dinner, and he has never sent email asking for others to chip in $25 — hallmarks of a traditional presidential campaign.

"I don't need anybody's money. It's nice," Trump proclaimed during his presidential announcement June 16 in New York City. "I'm using my own money. I'm not using the lobbyists. I'm not using donors. I don't care. I'm really rich."

Trump filed details of his personal wealth with federal regulators last week that declare a net worth in excess of $10 billion.

"Being a billionaire means you're the master of your own domain," Luntz said.

He would know: Luntz once worked for Texas businessman H. Ross Perot, perhaps the best-known presidential candidate who paid his own way. In 1992, Perot ran as an independent candidate, using almost $64 million of his fortune to get his name on ballots across the country.

This year, with Republican Party pressure building, Luntz wonders if Trump will break off and go the Perot third-party route.

"You may be able to look back on this day as the beginning" of that campaign, he said. "You make up your own rules."

On the other hand, a self-financed candidate can also be his or her own worst enemy, said Ed Rollins, Perot's onetime campaign manager.

Rollins predicted Trump would follow the same path as his former boss: off a cliff.

Perot was polling ahead of the major-party candidates in June before the election but ended up not winning a single state in November.

"He first promised to spend whatever it took to win, and we presented him with a budget," Rollins said. "He balked at that. He argued over every item. The Ross Perots, the Donald Trumps, they don't want to be told what to do."
___

Associated Press writer Matthew Daly contributed to this report.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-07-21

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After Bush i didn't think that the Americans could sink any lower, but they can ! Trump is the leading candidate for the Republican nomination !!!!

Proves that old saying, 'nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public.'

After Bush i didn't think that the Americans could sink any lower, but they can ! Trump is the leading candidate for the Republican nomination !!!!

Proves that old saying, 'nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public.'

With so many declared candidates, a leading Republican candidate before even the first Republican primary is meaningless.

Prior to the Republican Presidential nomination convention for the 2012 Presidential election, there were four different leading Republican candidates. Romney was the first to lose the lead, only to recapture it prior to the convention that nominated him the GOP presidential candidate.

Even in a small field of candidates, being the leading party presidential candidate is no guarantee for nomination. For more than a year Hillary Cinton was the leading 2008 Democratic Presidential candidate before Obama overtook her 6 months prior to the Democratic Presidential convention.

Trump is the blustering, bigoted face of the Republican party now. Bigotry works with the core Republican base and that's who you need to get the nomination.

I hope he's in it to win it. This is going to be so much fun.

Those who naively think that Trump is dismantling the Republican Party are just totally out of tune with what has been going on with the Republican party for several years. The Elitist so called Leadership of the Republican Party the RINOs - left leaning Republicans in Name only have been bashing their largest single voting bloc for several years now... Say -- you will vote for who we choose (losers like Dole, McCain and Romney) because you have no one else to vote for. Despite the McCain comments - huge segments of the Conservative Core of the Republican Party are backing Trump. They / we like what he is doing to smash the RNC/GOP Presidential Election Losing 'leadership'.. If the top RINO dogs keep bashing Trump they will lose totally the support of the Conservative core -- some 35 % of all Republican voters and will not be able to elect a dog catcher.

The RINO leadership like McCain HATE their own biggest core of voters and are constantly threatening to smash our influence.

Trump didn't start this inter-party war ... he is just giving voice to it... The GOP/RNC are scared to death that they cannot FORCE Nominate Jeb Bush totally against the will of the Conservative core...

This is why Trump is being cheered on by millions and the fact that he is nearly Teflon and criticisms bounce of is just GRAND. It means that the RNC/GOP cannot destroy Trump ... and had better help make amends between all concerned and get on to defeating the Democrats.

Trump is a hundred time more savvy that the reclusive Ross Perot - so no real comparisons can be made. The Leftist dominated American News Media is beside themselves as they will not be able to push the nomination of another namby - pamby Romney to help the Republicans LOSE the upcoming Presidential election.

What I describe above are the dynamics of what is going on ... So rattling on about Trump and he will be another loser - total HYPE ... Trump will smash Hillary -- make her into a the total laughing stock she is... Once Trump is nominated - the big Wall Street folks will come running..

Laugh at Trump now -- he is Teflon man -- Billions of Dollars buy that -- Trump does not have to apologize to anyone ... Trump will just 'TURN THE PAGE' and go on to another subject -- as it doesn't matter what the RNC/GOP and the Liberal - Leftist media whines about. Trump not only has the money - he has a core of solid voters -- and the others will come along - once it is a battle between Trump and a Hillary or WHO ?

Finally....A man with the balls to pull no punches and say what is "politically incorrect" but right on the money. Cudos to him. The govt is broken (has been for a long time). I would like to see a "bull in the china shop" shaking things down. He could certainly do no worse than what we have had the past 15 years.

Govt should be run just like any business, not run by lobbyists and bankers. Trump is just the man for the job in this respect. He KNOWS business and to make a deal.

Yes, he's a bit of a putz, but so what? His comment on McCain is dead on! I have always wondered why being a POW makes you an instant "hero". McCain has played that card his entire political life. I call BS on that one years ago. Trump had the balls to say it in public! That puts me in his camp to the point I may even vote next election.

2 weeks after Bush 1 got re elected, I packed my crap and left the USA for good. I never regret it not looked back since. Maybe Trump is the man to make or break the USA. Either way, big change is long overdue and he is the man to do it. There is a lot to say about his character, but his "in yer face" approach to politics is quite refreshing.

Edited by jackh

Those who naively think that Trump is dismantling the Republican Party are just totally out of tune with what has been going on with the Republican party for several years. The Elitist so called Leadership of the Republican Party the RINOs - left leaning Republicans in Name only have been bashing their largest single voting bloc for several years now... Say -- you will vote for who we choose (losers like Dole, McCain and Romney) because you have no one else to vote for. Despite the McCain comments - huge segments of the Conservative Core of the Republican Party are backing Trump. They / we like what he is doing to smash the RNC/GOP Presidential Election Losing 'leadership'.. If the top RINO dogs keep bashing Trump they will lose totally the support of the Conservative core -- some 35 % of all Republican voters and will not be able to elect a dog catcher.

The RINO leadership like McCain HATE their own biggest core of voters and are constantly threatening to smash our influence.

Trump didn't start this inter-party war ... he is just giving voice to it... The GOP/RNC are scared to death that they cannot FORCE Nominate Jeb Bush totally against the will of the Conservative core...

This is why Trump is being cheered on by millions and the fact that he is nearly Teflon and criticisms bounce of is just GRAND. It means that the RNC/GOP cannot destroy Trump ... and had better help make amends between all concerned and get on to defeating the Democrats.

Trump is a hundred time more savvy that the reclusive Ross Perot - so no real comparisons can be made. The Leftist dominated American News Media is beside themselves as they will not be able to push the nomination of another namby - pamby Romney to help the Republicans LOSE the upcoming Presidential election.

What I describe above are the dynamics of what is going on ... So rattling on about Trump and he will be another loser - total HYPE ... Trump will smash Hillary -- make her into a the total laughing stock she is... Once Trump is nominated - the big Wall Street folks will come running..

Laugh at Trump now -- he is Teflon man -- Billions of Dollars buy that -- Trump does not have to apologize to anyone ... Trump will just 'TURN THE PAGE' and go on to another subject -- as it doesn't matter what the RNC/GOP and the Liberal - Leftist media whines about. Trump not only has the money - he has a core of solid voters -- and the others will come along - once it is a battle between Trump and a Hillary or WHO ?

You may be right in that this is exactly what the Republican party needs to re-emerge.

A pity though you're blaming the leftist media for the choice of former Republican candidates and give some sneers to others who's views you don't share.

If you think Thrump is an idiot with low IQ, then well what can I say.............

Impossible to do what he has done and be stupid, read some of his books and you will have a different view.

At the moment his bandwagon is flying, American people are liking what they hear, but its a long way to go and I doubt he will get the nomination

Whoever gets elected will be an establishment yes man that will continue the sociopathic debt and war policy, it's probably already been decided.

Can't help but suspect Trump has been rolled out as a circus attraction to ensure the real issues are never closely scrutinised.

It's all just entertainment for masses.

If you think Thrump is an idiot with low IQ, then well what can I say.............

Impossible to do what he has done and be stupid, read some of his books and you will have a different view.

At the moment his bandwagon is flying, American people are liking what they hear, but its a long way to go and I doubt he will get the nomination

I think you could have said the same about Hitler....

"At the moment his bandwagon is flying, American people Republicans are liking what they hear, but its a long way to go and I doubt he will get the nomination"

Edited by Basil B

Now, wouldn't it be just hilarious/wonderful/miraculous/totally out of left field (pick your choice) if Donald DID win the nomination. Hey, stranger things have happened, especially in American politics, and then went head to head with Hillary the Wart. The last thing in the world/galaxy/universe she wants is to have to face him 1-on-1 in a debate. He would chew her alive.

Of course, that's just my opinion, and I could be wrong.

Edited by Just1Voice

Trump now leads GOP candidates with 24% of Republican and Republican-leaning Independent voters... This should get the Trump haters frothing at the mouth...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/poll-trump-surges-to-big-lead-in-gop-presidential-race/2015/07/20/efd2e0d0-2ef8-11e5-8f36-18d1d501920d_story.html?wpisrc=al_alert-politics

Businessman Donald Trump surged into the lead for the 2016 Republican presidential nomination, with almost twice the support of his closest rival, just as he ignited a new controversy after making disparaging remarks about Sen. John McCain’s Vietnam War service, according to a new Washington Post-ABC News poll.

Support for Trump fell sharply on the one night that voters were surveyed following those comments. Telephone interviewing for the poll began Thursday, and most calls were completed before the news about the remarks was widely reported.

Although the sample size for the final day was small, the decline was statistically significant. Still, it is difficult to predict what could happen to Trump’s support in the coming days and weeks as the controversy plays out.

Even with the drop in support on the final night of the survey, Trump was the favorite of 24 percent of registered Republicans and Republican-leaning independents. That is the highest percentage and biggest lead recorded by any GOP candidate this year in Post-ABC News polls and marks a sixfold increase in his support since late May, shortly before he formally joined the race.

Money doesn't make a person and it sure as hell didn't make a human being out of the Donald. Sorry, it was Cheney/Bush et al that made the mess out of what used to be America and blew up the mid-east with their lies. Then again it all started with the crooked Reagan regime and his handlers. Bernie Sanders is the only human being in the contest, the only one that has the good ideas, the only one that speaks the truth, certainly not Hillary, a neocon/neoliberal. Keep on rolling clown bus and drag the rest of the Repubs with you. Even with all the gerrymandering, voter suppression and out and out computer fraud the Repubs cannot elect one of the clown bus.

Trump now leads GOP candidates with 24% of Republican and Republican-leaning Independent voters... This should get the Trump haters frothing at the mouth...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/poll-trump-surges-to-big-lead-in-gop-presidential-race/2015/07/20/efd2e0d0-2ef8-11e5-8f36-18d1d501920d_story.html?wpisrc=al_alert-politics

Businessman Donald Trump surged into the lead for the 2016 Republican presidential nomination, with almost twice the support of his closest rival, just as he ignited a new controversy after making disparaging remarks about Sen. John McCain’s Vietnam War service, according to a new Washington Post-ABC News poll.

Support for Trump fell sharply on the one night that voters were surveyed following those comments. Telephone interviewing for the poll began Thursday, and most calls were completed before the news about the remarks was widely reported.

Although the sample size for the final day was small, the decline was statistically significant. Still, it is difficult to predict what could happen to Trump’s support in the coming days and weeks as the controversy plays out.

Even with the drop in support on the final night of the survey, Trump was the favorite of 24 percent of registered Republicans and Republican-leaning independents. That is the highest percentage and biggest lead recorded by any GOP candidate this year in Post-ABC News polls and marks a sixfold increase in his support since late May, shortly before he formally joined the race.

What the UK bookies think so far

http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/us-politics/us-presidential-election-2016/winner

Off-topic and inflammatory posts and replies removed. The name of the party is the Republican party. Aberrant spellings will result in your post being removed. If you see those posts, best not to quote them, as your post will be removed as well.

Corrected, I think. Idiots like the Donald will drive the clown bus off the cliff. Good riddance to bad rubbish. Maybe a few more dozen more clowns and the collective moral IQ will add up to 100. Then again when one considers the clown bus morals, ethics, humanity, or rather complete lack off, it is still stuck at zero. Ah good 'ol Jeb, you know the one that celebrated the swiftboating of John Kerry. Looks like disparaging remarks about Vets are really, really bad when Republicans (the Donald) speak about Republican Vets. It is A-OK when made about Democrats like Kerry or Max Cleland. Hypocrites. Push the accelerator down to floor Donald, America will be better off when the clown bus runs off the cliff, hopefully dragging the rest of the teabagging idiots and the Koch (John Birch Society) brothers with it.

He isn't an idiot, he is an uncultured moron, being astute in business doesn't make you intelligent, i knew a scrap metal dealer in London who was a millionaire at 40 but couldn't write out cheques because he had trouble signing is name. I have no doubt that Trump had a ghost writer and didn't write a single word in his books. Trumps rantings remind me a little of Hitler without the charisma.

Corrected, I think. Idiots like the Donald will drive the clown bus off the cliff. Good riddance to bad rubbish. Maybe a few more dozen more clowns and the collective moral IQ will add up to 100. Then again when one considers the clown bus morals, ethics, humanity, or rather complete lack off, it is still stuck at zero. Ah good 'ol Jeb, you know the one that celebrated the swiftboating of John Kerry. Looks like disparaging remarks about Vets are really, really bad when Republicans (the Donald) speak about Republican Vets. It is A-OK when made about Democrats like Kerry or Max Cleland. Hypocrites. Push the accelerator down to floor Donald, America will be better off when the clown bus runs off the cliff, hopefully dragging the rest of the teabagging idiots and the Koch (John Birch Society) brothers with it.

Idiots like the Donald will drive the clown bus off the cliff.

Speaking of which....

Clowns File Lawsuit Against The Republican Party For Defamation

http://www.newscorps...m/ncWP/?p=29215

One man's conservative core is another man's loony fringe....coffee1.gif. The Donald is a standard bearer for the loony right. He is a joke - a very wealthy joke, and in a debate he would be skinned alive by Hillary Clinton.

http://www.militarytimes.com/story/veterans/2015/07/20/mccain-trump-owes-apology-to-veterans-not-to-him/30423493/ . Oh yea, he'll get the military vote, NOT! I will agree with him on a point he made about McCain failing Vets. His is one of the, if not the worst voting records when it comes to Vets. Ableit typical of Republicans. Drive on Donald, faster please.