Israeli leader's household spending facing criminal probe

webfact

Israeli leader's household spending facing criminal probe

JERUSALEM (AP) — Israel's attorney general has ordered a criminal investigation into excessive spending at Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's residences.

Monday's announcement follows a report by the state comptroller, an official watchdog, which cited large sums of public money spent on food, furniture, cleaning and gardening at Netanyahu and his wife's official residence in Jerusalem and their private home in the exclusive coastal city of Caesarea.

The Netanyahus are not expected to be questioned yet, with most of the focus directed at Ezra Saidoff, a staffer who oversees much of their affairs.

The Netanyahus are no strangers to such scrutiny. The prime minister has long been saddled with an image as a cigar-smoking, cognac-drinking socialite, while his wife has come under fire for her own expensive tastes and alleged abusive behavior toward staff.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-07-21

Didn't they spend about $5000 a month on ice cream? Or am I thinking of someone else?

These people ( presidents/ prime ministers etc ) have no idea that a door does not open by itself when the exalted one approaches etc.

Most of them are so out of touch of reality and live in a parallel universe .

Similar came to mind recently when there was a report about a 'heckler' (as the media put it) in the Whitehouse, to which I hear Obama said something about rudeness followed by - "You're in my house". If somebody had been quick enough, surely the instant response to him should have been - " No, it ain't 'your' house it's a house paid for by the taxpayer and temporarily on loan to you ". Of course, in the US that probably would invite a taser-ing.

Typical of a right-winger world-wide....his comfort is what matters, his dollars are what matters, not the dollars of the tax payer.

I recall a story about his exorbitant spending on ice cream.....his waistline is evidence enough of that.

As I said, it's world-wide with the right wing. Australia's Speaker is currently under fire too.

Similar came to mind recently when there was a report about a 'heckler' (as the media put it) in the Whitehouse, to which I hear Obama said something about rudeness followed by - "You're in my house". If somebody had been quick enough, surely the instant response to him should have been - " No, it ain't 'your' house it's a house paid for by the taxpayer and temporarily on loan to you ". Of course, in the US that probably would invite a taser-ing.

You're spinning that a bit. The heckler WAS being rude, and Obama's reference to "his house" was perfectly apt. He actually handled the situation very nicely with decorum and diplomacy.

Is there not a bit of a history of corruption within the upper echelons of the Ksennet? I guess with all those billions of US dollars flowing through the coffers, it must get awfully tempting to syphon off a bit for a rainy day.

To be honest, I would much prefer he was prosecuted for something more meaningful - war crimes for a start.

Israel is not a typical Middle East country. It's a democracy with a legitimate justice system. Anyone following recent news knows that Israelis of high station are most certainly not above Israel law! I think more so than the vast majority of countries, including the USA. This case has absolutely nothing to do with Palestinian conflict, no matter that the usual obsessive Israel demonizers might try to lamely spin that it does.

Edited by Jingthing

Israel is not a typical Middle East country. It's a democracy with a legitimate justice system. Anyone following recent news knows that Israelis of high station are most certainly not above Israel law! I think more so than the vast majority of countries, including the USA. This case has absolutely nothing to do with Palestinian conflict, no matter that the usual obsessive Israel demonizers might try to lamely spin that it does.

Middle Eastern countries are all typical.

There is no law except the law of the jungle... get as much as you can - as soon as you can.