Some military draftees to be part of Thai police force

webfact

Some military draftees to be part of police force
Jeerapong Prasertpolkrang
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Cabinet yesterday approved the National Police Act, which would also create "drafted policemen" whose status would be equivalent to military conscripts, deputy government spokesman Maj-General Sansern Kaewkamnerd said.

When the military drafts manpower, it will also allocate some of it to the police force, Sansern explained. The drafted police officers would serve as privates for two years and, once this term is completed, they will have the same status as military reservists, he said.

A drafted policeman's duty would be to support the police's mission to maintain peace and order as well as public safety and national security, he said. Their salaries would be based on military regulations and they would be entitled to other allowances in the same manner as their military counterparts, he added.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Some-military-draftees-to-be-part-of-police-force-30264964.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-07-22

Can you train a policeman in the time available for a conscript? Ah Umm "train", silly old me.

Maybe the Police are going into the golf course business...

If they're setting up a Corps Of Caddies there will be a serious revolt by all the ladies who lose their jobs.

They will just be farmed out as private security with the senior officers pocketing the money same as the military does with its conscripts now. Pretty much slavery.

Along with all of Mr P's 'reforms' (code word for restrictions) this is a back door way of having the RTP under direct Military control in every aspect. I've said it before, this is right out of Chinas playbook on how to 'convert' your country to 'insert the C word we can't use'.

So they will still be on military payroll, under military orders? The army's primary role in Thailand has been to overthrow Thai governments, not defend the country from imaginary enemies.... "He who pays the piper calls the tune". I could see some of the draftees telling police "You can't order me around, you're not my real boss". Maybe some police could go take managerial posts in army? At a minimum they will need to order more chairs for sitting around the station doing nothing....

Conscript policemen? What, 'You, you aaand... You. There's your uniform and your shooter, now off you go and police. You sign off at five'? Sounds a dreadful idea to me, or am I misreading the OP?

So they will still be on military payroll, under military orders? The army's primary role in Thailand has been to overthrow Thai governments, not defend the country from imaginary enemies.... "He who pays the piper calls the tune". I could see some of the draftees telling police "You can't order me around, you're not my real boss". Maybe some police could go take managerial posts in army? At a minimum they will need to order more chairs for sitting around the station doing nothing....

Military pay rates does not equal military payroll, which makes the rest of your post rather silly.

Military rates so that conscripts sent to RTP would not be advantaged/disadvantaged.

Taking corrupt payments in front of another career BIB is one thing, doing in front of a conscript who will be out in 2 years is quite another.

Other than that, the only upside I see from this is releasing highly trained(?) BIB from menial duties.

More and more control by the military everyday. It's hard to believe this government is serious about having elections.

You are joking or what?

Putting some conscripts to work as policemen is wrong, very wrong, and won't add to reforming the police, which is desperately needed.

It will simply give some extra feet on the ground to do the jobs the current officers can't be bothered to get off their backsides to do.

More and more control by the military everyday. It's hard to believe this government is serious about having elections.

Of which they have not the slightest interest in doing, but when is the penny going to drop for the majority of Thais and many on this forum.

What's the difference between a probationary or conscript , at the start only one wants to be there, Thailand has double vision on conscription, they seem to think the conscripts like their new environment , I can tell you they don't , they hate the military and all it stands for and having first hand experience it also interferes in their education at UNI, such as it is ,with the possible exception of Prayut - O and military elite , the Generals and senior ranks who have to put up with them don't want them either, similar will happen in the RPT.coffee1.gif

You are joking or what?

Putting some conscripts to work as policemen is wrong, very wrong, and won't add to reforming the police, which is desperately needed.

It will simply give some extra feet on the ground to do the jobs the current officers can't be bothered to get off their backsides to do.

The one and only General/PM has stated he has no interest or urgency to reform the police and will leave it for the next government to handle. So as it is quite clear there is not going to be another government for a very, very long time then the police force will never be reformed. End of the day we will be left with martial law and Mafia corruption will flourish.

You are joking or what?

So everything apart from collecting fines, then...

This is a joke right? The Police would be better off employing security guards. At least their job is closer to the police job description and more suitable than any soldier would be.

Soldiers working as police, and prepare for more civilians being shot dead

Edited by Time Traveller

Conscript policemen? What, 'You, you aaand... You. There's your uniform and your shooter, now off you go and police. You sign off at five'? Sounds a dreadful idea to me, or am I misreading the OP?

It's more like, ''Here's the bill for your uniform and shooter...''

;)

This going to be fun to watch.

An 18 year old in the service of the police but paid by the army which has a different pay scale.

From 6 am to 4pm in the policeforce and from 5pm to 10pm in the army for briefing ?

I am lost !!

Of which they have not the slightest interest in doing, but when is the penny going to drop for the majority of Thais and many on this forum.

When the country emerges from the immediate aftermath of the dreaded sad event, to discover that everything has been sorted out - and it would only be right to show respect by allowing the status quo to continue for several years.

This going to be fun to watch.

An 18 year old in the service of the police but paid by the army which has a different pay scale.

From 6 am to 4pm in the policeforce and from 5pm to 10pm in the army for briefing ?

I am lost !!

You are lost alright, in your own fantasies. The OP says that they will be police support, but paid the same rate as other conscripts.

There is nothing in the OP to support your claim that they will be paid by the army, or that they will be part of both army and police.

Unlike the current Government, I'm serious about elections - I always have one before blekfast! rolleyes.gif