800k N-O for 30 yr old?

Hi there,

Only serious posters response please. I'm married to my Thai wife and we both moved here to Thailand together. I'm on a non-immigrant O visa (spouse visa) multiple-entry with a 3 month validity, my wife is Thai citizen. I've recently scored a job/contract here while here which my employer already signed and my employer is willing and able to sponsor/assist.

Upon informing myself one on one, wanting to do the 1 year extension based on spouse VISA /married to Thai, the immigration officer now says both me and my wife need to have both 400k each in order to be able to extend the Non-immigrant O as a spouse visa, that makes a total of 800k baht needed. The rest of the paperwork I have in order. Although I was under the impression 800k was for people age 50+, not for someone who is 30 years old and was under impression the amount for me would have been 400k in a Thai bankaccount for 2 months (400k which I'd be able to fix without a problem, 800k not). Is she right or wrong?

Note my wife just got here, just like me (we came together) and despite being a Thai citizen she has no job right now of course.

I haven't gotten my work permit yet, but this is next on the list and shouldn't be problem, considering I've got everything in order and already filled in the docs with a visit. I expect no bumps there.

But after that, to be able to stay in The Kingdom, and in what way to proceed with the VISA, that's the question. I prefer to stay on non-immigrant O (spouse visa) extension of a year, so in that case, the employer doesn't have any kind of power over me and even things would go wrong between me and them, I wouldn't be forced to leave the country immediately and would have the rest of the year to arrange a new planning, get a new job, or move etc.

The alternative that should work either way is to do border runs every 90 days as is the Multiple Entry spouse VISA that I got. Althought that can be pricey and difficult to do being away for 3-4 days when the employer requires me to work fulltime 5 days, with regular 6 days. I prefer not to do this unless I really have to.

Is the 800k demand wrong in my case and should I take up the discussion? (in such case, does anyone have the law paragraph I can refer to). Am I correct and should I visit another immigration office, or is the officer correct?

Any insight or advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Edited by Eekarooz

If your wife is Thai she needs no visa or extension and she certainly does not have to evidence any finance.

An extension of stay based on marriage is easy to obtain with the correct documentation .

Where was this misleading and incorrect advice received ?

The requirements are 400k baht in the bank in your name only or 40k baht income for an extension of stay based upon marriage. Not sure where the immigration office is coming up with the 800k baht number from

I assume you wife entered the country on her Thai passport.

Edit: Where did you get married at? If not Thailand you will need to register your marriage here.

Your Wife is Thai so does not need anything.
This covers you:

2.18 In the case of being a family member of a Thai national (applicable only to parents, spouse, children, adopted children, or spouse’s children):
Each permission shall be granted for no more than one year.

(6) In the case of marriage to a Thai woman, the alien husband must earn an average annual income of no less than Baht 40,000 per month or must have no less than Baht 400,000 in a bank account in Thailand for the past two months to cover expenses for one year.

English: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=280314

Thai: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=278413

Thanks for the replies so far, updating my info here.

My wife only has a Thai passport so that's what she used when she entered Thailand. I still have to create an account in Thailand (Im in the process of getting the work permit which all banks I contacted seem to need me to have the workpermit ready before I can open an account). I should have the workpermit soon if all goes well. So it means I may have to do a 90 day run first before going for the 1year spouse extension, that is if they're going to be very strict about the 2-month period of having 400k in the Thai account.

Me and my wife have separate accounts (she has another Thai account).

We married back in Europe 4 years ago and we have all marriage certifications/required documentation ready, professionally translated and legalized, but haven't finalized registration yet at Ampur about this, only fixed the surname-change so far at Ampur. EDIT: what I mean here is that they just took over the information from my homecountry of the marriage in the system after looking at all the papers so it's there like we married 4 years ago, but we didn't get an actual print or paper saying that we got married in Thailand that day.

Edited by Eekarooz

...Which makes me wonder, is it sure it's possible to go for the 90 day visa runs (non immigrant O multiple entry in and out from Malaysian border) while I am employed with a work permit? Is it a guaranteed 90 day re-entry? Or does having a workpermit and employment complicate things? As I originally came here on a non-immigrant O Spouse visa.

Thanks for the replies so far, updating my info here.

My wife only has a Thai passport so that's what she used when she entered Thailand. I still have to create an account in Thailand (Im in the process of getting the work permit which all banks I contacted seem to need me to have the workpermit ready before I can open an account). I should have the workpermit soon if all goes well. So it means I may have to do a 90 day run first before going for the 1year spouse extension, that is if they're going to be very strict about the 2-month period of having 400k in the Thai account.

Me and my wife have separate accounts (she has another Thai account).

We married back in Europe 4 years ago and we have all marriage certifications/required documentation ready, professionally translated and legalized, but haven't finalized registration yet at Ampur about this, only fixed the surname-change so far at Ampur.

They will be strict about the period of time the 400K is in the bank.

You not have to wait for your work permit to open a bank account. You wife can be a reference for you by showing her ID card and house book.

The 400k baht will have to be in the bank 2 months. If the income from you job is 40k baht or more you can use 2 or 3 months of tax payments as proof of it to get the extension.

...Which makes me wonder, is it sure it's possible to go for the 90 day visa runs (non immigrant O multiple entry in and out from Malaysian border) while I am employed with a work permit? Is it a guaranteed 90 day re-entry? Or does having a workpermit and employment complicate things? As I originally came here on a non-immigrant O Spouse visa.

If you have a valid multi-entry Non O visa then making a border run for another 90 day entry will cause no difficulty

You will always get a 90 day entry from you visa without a problem.

Immigration will not even know you have a work permit unless you tell them and it does not matter anyway for doing your entries.

You not have to wait for your work permit to open a bank account. You wife can be a reference for you by showing her ID card and house book.

The 400k baht will have to be in the bank 2 months. If the income from you job is 40k baht or more you can use 2 or 3 months of tax payments as proof of it to get the extension.

Really? You mean the account would still be in my name in that way? - Which bank accepts this? I

I think all banks would do it. If your wife already has an account it would be best to do it at the same bank. The account will be in your name.

My wife did it at Bangkok Bank for me.

Hmm, could that be provided the wife at least has an income at that same bank? In my case, I'll be working soon, but my wife who came with me is unemployed and doesn't have any money coming in to her account at the bank here in Thailand.

I think all banks would do it. If your wife already has an account it would be best to do it at the same bank. The account will be in your name.

My wife did it at Bangkok Bank for me.

Hmm, could that be provided the wife at least has an income at that same bank? In my case, I'll be working soon, but my wife who came with me is unemployed and doesn't have any money coming in to her account at the bank here in Thailand.

I just mentioned you wife having a bank account because it might make it easier. She does not need an income or even much money in the bank.

My wife had no account at Bangkok Bank when she was my reference.

Lite Beer, thanks for the pdfs. Exactly something like this I was looking for. These were similar to the ones I previously had, although the papercopy I had was quite old (although it still said the same thing). I see 400k everywhere for my regulation. The one you posted is from 2014. Is this the last one? No 2015 versions?

It still states 400k in the 2014 version and, unless something has changed from 400k to 800k (not counting 50+ers /pensioners N-O retirement visa as opposed to N-O spouse visa), then could 2015 still have the same regulation of 400k for 2 months in the account?

Roger thanks Ubonjoe.

Edited by Eekarooz

Lite Beer, thanks for the pdfs. Exactly something like this I was looking for. These were similar to the ones I previously had, although the papercopy I had was quite old (although it still said the same thing). I see 400k everywhere for my regulation. The one you posted is from 2014. Is this the last one? No 2015 versions?

It still states 400k in the 2014 version and, unless something has changed from 400k to 800k (not counting 50+ers /pensioners N-O retirement visa as opposed to N-O spouse visa), then could 2015 still have the same regulation of 400k for 2 months in the account?

Regulation do not come with vintage like wine. Currently it is 400K Bt and is has been for many years.

If it was different the moderators would have you told you that.

Edited by paz
  • Like 1

Bank account you ocnly require passport and letter of residency

which is free form Jomtien.

They will try get you for 300 baht standard. I got 2 in same week for licence and bike transfer. they tried on both accassions and got 0..... What I got was a nasty stare which I would have got even if I did pay LOL

Question please

What is a house book ?

I need to know as to upcoming marriage paper work

Thanks

A 'House Book' is called a Tabian Baan.

It's a registration of people living at a certain address, nothing to do with house ownership.

Thais receive a blue book, foreigners receive a yellow book.

It isn't a requirement for marriage.

Plenty of topics about it on the forum.

Edited by Faz

Your wife can take you to her local branch (where she opened her account) and talk to a bank officer. They should open an account for you. You will need your passport. Transfer the 400,000 Baht into the account as soon as possible. Try another bank (or come back another day and get a different bank clerk) if they make problems for you.

I am unaware of a 'need' to register an overseas marriage in Thailand. I married my wife in NZ, had the certificate validated and stamped by the NZ Embassy in BKK, and the whole thing translated and stamped by a language school. On this basis I have a one year non-immigrant O Visa based on marriage to a Thai national.

We did look into the matter of registering the marriage in Thailand, but gave up under the weight of bureaucracy (and the need to drive from Chiang Mai to her home town 1,000km away to deal with the bureaucrats).

My bank account is with Kasikorn, and was no problem at all with my wife there and able to provide her ID and Tabian Baan. She did not have a K bank account. They do like photocopying my passport and now have a thick folder full of photocopies! :) Don't forget to take yours every time you need to discuss something with the bank.

Good luck.

The marriage registration is needed to apply for a one year extension of stay based upon marriage at immigration. They want a Kor Ror 22 that the Amphoe issues when the marriage is registered.

To get a non-o visa at an embassy or consulate the registration is not needed. A translation and certification is not needed if the marriage certificate is in English.

The marriage registration can be done at any Amphoe as far as I know.

Wouldn't a non-immigrant B be easier, now that you will get a work permit? Then no money will be needed in the bank. I've been married here 15 years and never used an extension based on marriage. However, if yu change jobs regularly, the marriage extension would be better.

No idea why the immigration officer said 800K, as the requirement is 400K anyway.

Unfortunately the 40k seems to be a hit or miss, depending on the immigration office. Just last week I wanted to use my salary ( 50k ) and proof of income for visa extension based on marriage. I had my last year tax returns ( 600k ) and the companys last 3 months of tax payments ( which has my salary listed ). I went to the revenue department and had them print out "originals" and got every page stamped and signed.

Showing it to the immigration office in Phibun, they said they never saw these documents. They wanted the documents stamped by my embassy. Which of course they won't do, because the income is from Thailand. I politely and of course with a smile tried to explain this to them and the outcome basically was that she can't help me with that, but can offer me a 60 day extension so I have enough time to deposit 400k in my bank account for 2 months.

Then they found a problem with the pictures ( there was no picture showing that where I live is a 2 storey building ) and their was something wrong with my wife's housbook. Long story short, I'll be going savannkhet again soon.

@OP

keep the savannkhet option in mind, in case the immigration officer clearly is making it difficult / impossible for you to renew your visa. It is very easy to get the Visa in Savannakhet. The only downside I can think of, you would need to do border runs every 90 days instead of 90 day reports.