Thailand needs 9,000 new police officers: Somyot

webfact

"educated officers who are relatively well paid. Increasing their performance whilst reducing their eagerness to accept bribes."

Would make no difference in Thailand how much you paid them, corruption and bribery are part of the Thai way of life. Look at the well-paid politicians, they are still corrupt.

The policy would be implemented gradually because.....

They need to be "properly trained" in extortion, non-response, the purchasing of ranks, and general tomfoolery...not to mention the kow-tow to those at the top.

HOLY CRAP!!! WHY???? Are the current buffoons in brown (BIB) OVERWORKED?

Other than causing dangerous highway conditions with their "check points" what do they really do? Investigate crimes/ patrol neighborhoods? Hell there's a police ???? barrick or something called Police.... in our village, but I've NEVER seen any police in the village or surrounding area.

Personally I think the Kingdom would be better off w/out the BIB.

<in our village, but I've NEVER seen any police in the village or surrounding area.> Maybe that's why they need the extra policemen then? So you will see police in the area.

That's a lot of sharpened pencils and bums on chairs.

Have they any relatives left-or schoolmates to get into the force ??? just have to rely on suitables paying each town chief 100,000 baht plus to get a foot in the door.

They want another 9,000 to cause more traffic jams near to traffic lights for extra tea money.

Other than causing dangerous highway conditions with their "check points" what do they really do? Investigate crimes/ patrol neighborhoods? Hell there's a police ???? barrick or something called Police.... in our village, but I've NEVER seen any police in the village or surrounding area.

<in our village, but I've NEVER seen any police in the village or surrounding area.> Maybe that's why they need the extra policemen then? So you will see police in the area.

I have posted over the years the need to have a policeman LIVE in every small village---(mini police depot) crime prevention family wrongs seen-- drugs seen---drunks seen----underage driving stopped---gangs not allowed out to cause problems----quick access for families to report incidents.

BUT no---because they all want to be desk hero's in the towns police station, setting up road blocks--(an addiction in my mind)

Are they really needed, or is reorganization more to the point?

If they are needed, will the past unethical recruitment processes be totally changed? (Electronic widgets in candidates pockets to give them answer to the test - all organized by unscrupulous police officers.)

Will payments to secure jobs be totally outlawed and checked meticulously?

Will new police candidates be told very clearly and numerous times that in the future promotion will be based on two criteria only:

- Proven knowledge and insights into superior police work, admired by the general public that they are intended to serve.

- Proven and displayed superior track record, admired by the general public that they are intended to serve.

do they calculate in future more of them will be put on inactive posts ??

So more staff is needed to fill up the pockets from the BIG bosses !!!

propably from he super reach Chinese tourist income for RTP is low !!

I have posted over the years the need to have a policeman LIVE in every small village---(mini police depot) crime prevention family wrongs seen-- drugs seen---drunks seen----underage driving stopped---gangs not allowed out to cause problems----quick access for families to report incidents.

BUT no---because they all want to be desk hero's in the towns police station, setting up road blocks--(an addiction in my mind)

We're in agreement for once! Actually Thailand doesn't really have many police officers in comparison to a lot of countries - 344 police per 100,000 population, compared to Italy for example with 465 or Singapore with 752 per 100,000 population. It's nothing compared to Monaco at 1,374 and.. get this.. Vatican City has 15,550 police officers per 100,000!

Of course the next issue is financing and training these new recruits as they are looking at mobilization as opposed to regular officers (who could also do with some proper law enforcement training (as opposed to tea money training)!

Everyone bagged the RTP mainly for good reason, how ever there are some (an unknown number of course) who are straight and Ok. We have a Police academy graduate (now well ranked) in the family, straight as a die, I doubt he would know how to ask for a bribe, his father is a uniformed RTP - again straight as straight.

So they are not all bad - instead of recruiting another 9000 - they should clean-up what they have - a real clean-up, along the lines of the Wood's Royal Commission into the police force that was undertaken in NSW Australia.

If I had to guess what Thailand needs, I would say it needs LESS police officers, not more.

thai

They do nothing about lawbreakers as it is even though every person in Thailand is under 24 hour surveillance. Why hire more? Are there that many thai people breaking Lese Majeste laws they need an extra 9000 officers?

Edited by Time Traveller

Thailand doesn't need more police - they just need the police they already have to enforce the laws. Adding more worthless cops to the mix won't solve anything.

When was the last time you saw a cop pull anyone over for speeding, going the wrong way, drunk driving, no lights, no registration, juvenile drivers, etc?

Ever try to call the police if you witness a crime? Nobody home!

Police will only intervene when they can make a few baht, otherwise they are useless.

Are they really needed, or is reorganization more to the point?

If they are needed, will the past unethical recruitment processes be totally changed? (Electronic widgets in candidates pockets to give them answer to the test - all organized by unscrupulous police officers.)

Will payments to secure jobs be totally outlawed and checked meticulously?

Will new police candidates be told very clearly and numerous times that in the future promotion will be based on two criteria only:

- Proven knowledge and insights into superior police work, admired by the general public that they are intended to serve.

- Proven and displayed superior track record, admired by the general public that they are intended to serve.

and nr. 3, ability to remember faces and license plates of superiors

Everyone bagged the RTP mainly for good reason, how ever there are some (an unknown number of course) who are straight and Ok. We have a Police academy graduate (now well ranked) in the family, straight as a die, I doubt he would know how to ask for a bribe, his father is a uniformed RTP - again straight as straight.

So they are not all bad - instead of recruiting another 9000 - they should clean-up what they have - a real clean-up, along the lines of the Wood's Royal Commission into the police force that was undertaken in NSW Australia.

If they did an investigation like that the report would have to be delivered by forklift.

That's a lot of sharpened pencils and bums on chairs.

I would be nice to see some here in CM after 5.00 p.m. well now that I think of it I do not see any on the street before 5.00 p.m. There should be cops on cycles bicycles that is and they tell me that they are here but I never see any. It would be nice to see some after dark to put a stop to all the rice rockets roaring up and down the street. Even a small police presence would change things but the rocketeers know in advance there are no cops around and the road is theirs. I am truly surprised that more of them are not found wrapped around a utility pole its just insane here after dark.