Decisions made for returning to the USA

bwpage3

An outspoken, frank, clever, hard working and adaptable person can make it anywhere in the world! Most think that change of location will magically remove problems they carry around in their heads. Thailand has its good sides and negatives as much as Florida has pros and cons. After two and a half decades in LOS, I am still happy here and feel that my wife and kids live a better and more fulfilled life here than they ever could in my home country. Education in my opinion is totally overrated and looking at the majority of International School HiSo brats, I am disgusted at my findings; arrogant and superficial mini adults, speaking perfect English, yes, but would they make it in the wild or be able to adapt to a simple (and most likely better) life as farmer in case the $_it hits the fan? No! They wouldn't even be able to change a light bulb in their home... And I doubt very much that they will be happier later (with their graduation papers nicely framed against their living room wall) sitting in a cubicle in Los Angeles 9 to 5 holding the latest "memo" in their hands, telling them the boss would very much like them to work after hours to keep the almost belly up company afloat... I build a future for my family here, in their home land, the country I have chosen to call my home as well. Neither would I leave when things get difficult nor would I dare to boast in any forum with my portfolio (which outperforms that of the OP by far) in photos and writing to get my point accross. This is something I'd share with family and close friends, but certainly not with strangers in an open forum. And this is why the OP's post strikes me as a "my house, my yacht, my car" statement, nothing more, nothing less... But thanks for sharing anyway...

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An outspoken, frank, clever, hard working and adaptable person can make it anywhere in the world! Most think that change of location will magically remove problems they carry around in their heads. Thailand has its good sides and negatives as much as Florida has pros and cons. After two and a half decades in LOS, I am still happy here and feel that my wife and kids live a better and more fulfilled life here than they ever could in my home country. Education in my opinion is totally overrated and looking at the majority of International School HiSo brats, I am disgusted at my findings; arrogant and superficial mini adults, speaking perfect English, yes, but would they make it in the wild or be able to adapt to a simple (and most likely better) life as farmer in case the $_it hits the fan? No! They wouldn't even be able to change a light bulb in their home... And I doubt very much that they will be happier later (with their graduation papers nicely framed against their living room wall) sitting in a cubicle in Los Angeles 9 to 5 holding the latest "memo" in their hands, telling them the boss would very much like them to work after hours to keep the almost belly up company afloat... I build a future for my family here, in their home land, the country I have chosen to call my home as well. Neither would I leave when things get difficult nor would I dare to boast in any forum with my portfolio (which outperforms that of the OP by far) in photos and writing to get my point accross. This is something I'd share with family and close friends, but certainly not with strangers in an open forum. And this is why the OP's post strikes me as a "my house, my yacht, my car" statement, nothing more, nothing less... But thanks for sharing anyway...

You just did!

Dude, don't take the OP's post personally. He is not trying to put you down and I would guess he doesn't even know you.

BTW, how do you know your portfolio outperforms his "by far"?

Thanks. All the photos are a bit over the top in terms of your thinking but thanks for sharing.

I was planning to relocate to Thailand but my daughter is starting 1st grade in a month and I didn't want to condemn her to educational failure. I still spend about a month a year there but it has lost a lot of it's allure

One thing I will always remember about Thailand. There is always a foreigner spouting about Portfolios and riches with a good catch phrase why no one has to see the evidence. Nothing wrong with being truthful as showing life how it really is for my family. I certainly have an average house by US standards, exactly what is shown. Photos are evidence of being, of my being in the USA. Not used to compare Portfolios of the super rich like yourself who would never post their evidence. I am sure if you have been there 25 years your kids must be all grown and doctors and lawyers (education IS over-rated according to yourself). Information is shared because too many people tell stories when most want to see exactly what you are talking about. This post was written for those that are thinking of coming back or have to come back. Not for those that have been in Thailand 25 years with super rich portfolios. You should skip these kinds of real posts as they are not for you.

great story,

but some of us are happy here, without stress, i dont have any stress here,

this is us if you care to look, thaifarmlife.com

Must agree with that. I came here from Western Europe 15 years ago for a convention and was so caught up in the "rat race" back home and making money that I felt the weight of the world drop off my shoulders immediately when I seen and felt how relaxed life and the atmosphere was in Thailand...it was like a new lease of life. So much so that when I went back home I sold my house and moved here permanently. I was 51 at the time and have lived a life beyond my wildest dreams ever since. Two thoughts kept recurring in my mind when I made my decision to move here and give up job and everything else, thoughts an old lady once gave to me when I was doing a job for her....No.1 was "Son, when a person is lying on their death bed and are asked "Have they any regrets"...you will never hear the answer..."I wish I spent more time in the office"...and the second was...."Son, there are no shops in Heaven".

PS. Half my life I have had severe back ache, since moving here only on the rare occasion does it happen now.

Edited by dotpoom

Having to wait 16 month apart before they could come to the USA seems crazy. Happy that it all worked out but people reading this shouldn't assume that will be the norm.

US Immigration is so backed up it is taking that long no matter what they tell you.

Hey, Mesquite - that was not by any chance an attempt to get me to post a list and photos of my assets, huh? :) Let's leave it by I just know, ok? I had to put that remark in because I know that others then would say that i wrote what I did out of envy. That's not the case. I am happy for anyone who made it, but my point was that the OP's post might give many readers a wrong idea - such as grass is always greener in neighbor's garden, Thailand getting difficult - well, just move! I made it, so can you!... But there are plenty of odds - many expats in Thailand might now have a doctorate in technical engineering, etc. that would land them a job overseas just like that. Given the preconditions of the OP, it is no miracle and not difficult to go back and make a living there again, but such preconditions most here won't have. I have deepest regards for anyone who works his way out of a slum to richs, etc. but if anyone with lots of cash in the bank, best papers and knowledge to get high paid jobs thrown at him, makes it back to his home country and builds a new life there, I'd say it is just normal - nothing special. Anyone could do that, so what's the point? If I would ever go back to Europ after selling everything here, I'd have a great life there too and would be a self made man again as I hate to work for anyone else who tells me what and not to do. But I wouldn't post that as a success story in a forum, because it wouldn't be one. It is just normal life, going on with best preconditions. Amazing would be to see someone going back penniless and then hitting the jackpot. That would motivate others to try it too. And it would be something worthwile writing about. But not - "Well look, I have lots of cash, doctorate in metaphysics, raised a family here, but then moved with them to there, ain't that something? Isn't that inspiring?"

I'm always weary of threads like this because when someone feels a need to announce their departure from the LOS, you can usually count on the usual rhetoric, which is to say "I'm so happy to have left...I've made the right decision for myself/the family....my life is so much better...I can't believe I stayed so long"...blah blah blah, with of course, the usual suggestion (usually cryptic) that the rest of us are tools for staying.

But to his credit, the OP was (somewhat) balanced. I'm happy for the OP that he's found his paradise. But I'm sure he understands, not all of us want the same things.

One thing I will always remember about Thailand. There is always a foreigner spouting about Portfolios and riches with a good catch phrase why no one has to see the evidence. Nothing wrong with being truthful as showing life how it really is for my family. I certainly have an average house by US standards, exactly what is shown. Photos are evidence of being, of my being in the USA. Not used to compare Portfolios of the super rich like yourself who would never post their evidence. I am sure if you have been there 25 years your kids must be all grown and doctors and lawyers (education IS over-rated according to yourself). Information is shared because too many people tell stories when most want to see exactly what you are talking about. This post was written for those that are thinking of coming back or have to come back. Not for those that have been in Thailand 25 years with super rich portfolios. You should skip these kinds of real posts as they are not for you.

Thanks for clearing that up! Did you ever think about the fact that many who live in LOS and "think about going back" might not be as fortunate as you are, not being blessed with enough cash and papers to make it over there? Don't see my post as personal attack as I wish you and your family all the luck and happiness in the world. You have a beautiful place and an even more beautiful wife, no doubt about that, but you can't take that as a measure for other people who "think about going back"... I am quite sure that there are many here who would like to go back, but can't due to lack of funds, job opportunities and the likes. To them, your post is a downer, not of help - sorry. As for proof (I am sitting at my desk just chuckling about that) I don't need to proof anything anymore to anyone. But you're very much welcome to visit us and I'll show you around... thumbsup.gif perhaps after that you would understand my words better.

Edited by MockingJay

Good job. Thank you for posting. I really appreciate it.

Your wife looks amazing. Such a cute woman. And a child. The house looks great. A really nice life. I wonder if you think like I do that you were smart, and lucky. I know and hope your luck will continue. For sure your brains and discipline, got you to Thailand where you found a great girl and continued a great life.

One thing that that I read about is the girl who goes to the states, and then, learning western culture, changes for the worse. But as with most things, a lot of that probably has to do with the girl you choose too.

I hope things continue to go well.

I'm always weary of threads like this because when someone feels a need to announce their departure from the LOS, you can usually count on the usual rhetoric, which is to say "I'm so happy to have left...I've made the right decision for myself/the family....my life is so much better...I can't believe I stayed so long"...blah blah blah, with of course, the usual suggestion (usually cryptic) that the rest of us are tools for staying.

But to his credit, the OP was (somewhat) balanced. I'm happy for the OP that he's found his paradise. But I'm sure he understands, not all of us want the same things.

Ahhh, a brainy post after all - putting what I wanted to say in a much better perspective with much less words... Well done Berkshire, you made my day! I love my family life in Thailand and agree absolutely to what you wrote! wai2.gif

"fools for staying" is what you meant, right?

Edited by MockingJay

USA Immigration policy is such that the husband has to be employed in the USA to sponsor his Thai wife for a Green Card and eventual citizenship. (Provide proof of income, taxes and numerous other things)

OP, are you sure that's a correct statement you're making above?

That would seem to imply, that a retired US citizen could not sponsor their non-citizen wife if they returned to the U.S. I've never heard that to be the case.

Have to have sufficient income, yes... But income can come from many sources, not only employment.

Having to wait 16 month apart before they could come to the USA seems crazy. Happy that it all worked out but people reading this shouldn't assume that will be the norm.

Actually, that is pretty much the norm. It took 16 months for us to complete the process for visa and green card for my wife. In my case, I was not employed, but have sufficient investments to not be required to show employment income.

Ahhh, a brainy post after all - putting what I wanted to say in a much better perspective with much less words... Well done Berkshire, you made my day! I love my family life in Thailand and agree absolutely to what you wrote! wai2.gif

"fools for staying" is what you meant, right?

Well thanks, Jay. But I did mean to say "tools," which is sort of a slang for "fools." Same same.

Good job. Thank you for posting. I really appreciate it.

Your wife looks amazing. Such a cute woman. And a child. The house looks great. A really nice life. I wonder if you think like I do that you were smart, and lucky. I know and hope your luck will continue. For sure your brains and discipline, got you to Thailand where you found a great girl and continued a great life.

One thing that that I read about is the girl who goes to the states, and then, learning western culture, changes for the worse. But as with most things, a lot of that probably has to do with the girl you choose too.

I hope things continue to go well.

A girl (of any race or upbringing) can be called amazing only if she continued to stay with you AFTER you went broke or at least made it through extremely difficult times together WITH you and DIDN'T leave... A friend of mine was one of the local property tycoons here, and his doll-faced, spotlessly perfect wife left him when??? Correctamundo - when his firm went belly up and things (like shopping for the 53rd pair of shoes) became "difficult"... Need I say more?

Edited by MockingJay

Congratulations to you and your wife. I just want to say two things with which you may, or may not, agree.

Firstly, the women from Isaan are, on average, the most attractive in Thailand. Sure, there are some bad one, but many have good hearts, generous and decent families, and will give 100% for the right man. I'm often surprised how many can speak passable English.

Secondly, the gulf beaches in Thailand are a bit over-rated. The scenery can be very attractive, but it's often like swimming in tepid water. Give me a surf beach, with booming 2 metre waves, any day. Maybe I'm spoiled coming from Australia. I'll qualify this a little by saying that the Andaman coast beaches can be pretty good with a decent surf.

My Thai wife and I have lived in Australia for 4 years. Now we will live in Thailand for 5 years. MY wife would prefer to live in Australia becausee she is well removed from family dramas and the constant gossip. In Australia she can dress however she wants and do whatever she wants. In Thailand everyone seems to want to know your business.

Edited by Stevemercer

I enjoyed reading your success story about moving back to America. I am also planning to do the same in the near future, well about three years. I have taken my wife to visit the Sebastian area in Florida which is not far from where you are and we have found it to be a great place for us to retire to having all the good things you mentioned as well.

Unlike you, I am retirement age and my Thai wife will be approaching retirement age within nine years. So we are looking a purchasing a home in a 55 plus retirement community in the Sebastian area in about three years. Three years, because we need the time to save enough cash to pay in full for our house and cars in Florida before we move.

Here is something we found in Melbourne that you and your wife may find interesting being that is is only a few miles from where you live: http://www.yelp.com/biz/punyawanaram-wat-melbourne

It is the Punyawanarm Wat and it is a great gathering place for Thai Americans. Every Sunday they have an event where they serve Thai food and you can find Thai fruits and vegetables for sale there, it is sort of like a one day Thai market. Very nice and there is also a small wat there attended by a couple of monks.

USA Immigration policy is such that the husband has to be employed in the USA to sponsor his Thai wife for a Green Card and eventual citizenship. (Provide proof of income, taxes and numerous other things)

OP, are you sure that's a correct statement you're making above?

That would seem to imply, that a retired US citizen could not sponsor their non-citizen wife if they returned to the U.S. I've never heard that to be the case.

Have to have sufficient income, yes... But income can come from many sources, not only employment.

You are correct, there is an avenue for those with money or income requirements that I did not meet due to age and others. Thank you for pointing that out.

Good for you but, apparently, you enjoy the settling of domestication down which was one of the reasons I moved to Thailand originally. Married 3 times, almost bankrupted 3 times, I could not afford, on a modest pension to live in the US any more. In 2009, I, too decided to return, gave a potful of money to my Thai wife, all my possessions and went to Las Vegas where I had HAD friends & business associates and was very quickly reminded of other reasons I left to begin with. The cost of everything, in just 6 years, had almost doubled, several minority groups had taken over and being catered to by various govt. agencies, my earlier associates were either dead or relocated, and there were no 35 year old females willing to cohabit with an 75 year old man ! I called her, arranged to get together in a new town in Thailand, now lease a 2 room apt. for $ 600 a month, ( $ 2,000 in LV - the total amount of my pension !), and will never return to the US. Yes, there are many things I miss but an equal number of those I do not.

Thanks for your very positive post.wai.gif

I wish you & your family all the best for the future.

You may find your wife getting a little home sick but just tell her it will pass with time.

thumbsup.gif

I enjoyed reading your success story about moving back to America. I am also planning to do the same in the near future, well about three years. I have taken my wife to visit the Sebastian area in Florida which is not far from where you are and we have found it to be a great place for us to retire to having all the good things you mentioned as well.

Unlike you, I am retirement age and my Thai wife will be approaching retirement age within nine years. So we are looking a purchasing a home in a 55 plus retirement community in the Sebastian area in about three years. Three years, because we need the time to save enough cash to pay in full for our house and cars in Florida before we move.

Here is something we found in Melbourne that you and your wife may find interesting being that is is only a few miles from where you live: http://www.yelp.com/biz/punyawanaram-wat-melbourne

It is the Punyawanarm Wat and it is a great gathering place for Thai Americans. Every Sunday they have an event where they serve Thai food and you can find Thai fruits and vegetables for sale there, it is sort of like a one day Thai market. Very nice and there is also a small wat there attended by a couple of monks.

Yes this is the same area and we are in Sebastian often. Sebastian State Park is beautiful. The wat you referred to is not much of a Wat. The monks there do more ill's than in Thailand, including shopping when ever they want and carrying cash with them. Sunday food is a money making event where everything is for sale. Rather try to avoid the place myself. Lots of stories of donations disappearing and other things. There is an Asian Grocery store about a mile from there on the same street open 6 days a week that has most of the thai things you would want and 25 pound bags of Jasmine Rice. Beautiful area, so much to see and do. There was a Rocket Launch tonight from Cape Canaveral, you could see it from the beach.