Baht plunges 'quite fast' to six-year low against US dollar

webfact

A lot of places in the USA will no longer accept cash as payment.

Things must have changed since I was there a few months ago.

I go back every year and travel around quite a bit.

I usually use cash for everything (except gas at the pump because the card is quite convenient), and have not been turned down for cash at all.

Please tell us where you have, as I go back again soon and would prefer to spend cash.

Edited by fiddlehead

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First time I came to Thailand in 2000 it was about 70Baht to the pound and it cost 90Baht for a beach hut on Lonely Beach, and it really was a Lonely Beach then, I'll never forget the place, there was no road and just the one restaurant with a few huts around, carved out of the jungle. I hiked all along the coast, over the rocks, and found Ban Bang Bao, an incredible little community of fisher people, the children were so excited to see a Farang come to their little floating village. I like what they've done with the place, they're very successful.

British tourists will be happy, it'll be 55 baht to the £ again

I'd be even happier if it ever got back to the 70's and 80 would be just great, but I can't see it happening so shut your mouth MB1 and stop dreaming....gigglem.gifgigglem.gif

Ah, those were the days! smile.png

In 2004 a singha was around 25 to 30 baht at Sailor Bar on Soi 8 Pattaya and the UK pound was at a high at the time depending where you changed your money, bar fine was around 100 to 150 baht depending on bar, short time was around 300 and long time was 500 to a thousand, depending on quality of girl and attitude, if handsum man then sometimes maybe a freebie....

I only know about this because a good freind Iv'e known all my life, Lets just call him Pecker told me so....

Aaaaah the good old days hey, pull up a sandbag and tell them a story...facepalm.giffacepalm.gif

I remember those days too

I'd be even happier if it ever got back to the 70's and 80 would be just great, but I can't see it happening so shut your mouth MB1 and stop dreaming....gigglem.gifgigglem.gif

In 2004 a singha was around 25 to 30 baht at Sailor Bar on Soi 8 Pattaya and the UK pound was at a high at the time depending where you changed your money, bar fine was around 100 to 150 baht depending on bar, short time was around 300 and long time was 500 to a thousand, depending on quality of girl and attitude, if handsum man then sometimes maybe a freebie....

I only know about this because a good freind Iv'e known all my life, Lets just call him Pecker told me so....

Aaaaah the good old days hey, pull up a sandbag and tell them a story...facepalm.giffacepalm.gif

Dear me! The beer swilling procurers of prostitutes have spoken! Eleven years of drunken debourchery should be enough! Try another country.

^^^ @kamahele - economics is not my strong point, but your post doesn't seem to add up to this dunce. I, too, earn baht, so sending money to my home country is now cheaper. Whereas if I earned my contract fees in dollars, it would buy me less baht.

You got it backwards.

Economics is not your strong point for sure.

Correct he has it backwards...

If he is paid in Dollars, Dollars will buy more Baht now. Example:

Previously Dollar buy 33 Baht

Now Dollar will buy 34+ Baht....

If you are paid in Baht.... Sorry! Converting to USD you will receive less, As it will take 43+ Baht to buy 1 USD!

I saw an article yesterday that China is selling massive quantities of gold, and that, strangely, the Indian market, which would be expected to snap it up, is very quiet. I don't know what's going on, but I expect the price of gold is going to drop further. It's definitely not a good investment if you need to convert to money in a hurry. And, gold is not money, nor does it have an intrinsic value. Of course, if you're a Glenn Beck fan now is the time to take all the money you have left and buy more gold. We're about due for another financial crash.

There is nothing visible happening in the LoS to prevent the continual slide of the THB vs all currencies,

Apart from leading Thais believe a strong baht reflects to them as strong people, maybe?

How about, it means they pay fewer Baht for their Mercedes and Land Rovers and Coopers? What's happening now is just an increase in incentives to move your money into dollars or pounds sterling or, I guess, yen, because of the turmoil in the Euro Zone. I haven't followed how the yen is doing compared to the dollar. There's also the prospect of a huge shortfall of agricultural exports because of the drought. This is bad news for America, because our trade deficit is already huge this year so this will increase it and slow down the very sluggish economic recovery even more. Maybe that will prevent the Fed from raising interest rates. Hard to say, because they really, really want to despite the lack of inflation and the remaining slack in the labor market.

Should be +40$$$ to the USD. I Can't believe a dump is so expensive to live in. I'll keep staying in Hong Kong, for this year at least.

View from my dump in Bangkok. 555

$350 a month.

Olympic pool, beautiful gym, roof top gardens, on demand hot water, bone chilling Air Con...... triple security (road, grounds, and lobby) .. laundry and restaurants in the lobby .. Oh, did I mention the gardens ON THE RIVERSIDE?

Match that in Hong Kong...

Please... stay there .. please!

From my dump in Udon Thani, detached 3 bed bungalow -furnished 2 air con--3 inside bathrooms--2 have hot shower--coco nut--lime mango trees---super flower garden drive enough for 4 cars, 3 sat tv, wi fi, near to city and airport. anyone beat that ??

Bkk and H.Kong 55555 ha ha ha.-----------------all for 7,500 baht------150 quid------

Edited by ginjag

Gold is not sitting at ten year lows i.e. it can still go down quite alot more than this.

I could be wrong but i think its currently at a rate (off memory) around 2009. It started really whizzing up around 2006. If you go back ten yrs it was still relatively cheap.

Gold is not sitting at ten year lows i.e. it can still go down quite alot more than this.

I could be wrong but i think its currently at a rate (off memory) around 2009. It started really whizzing up around 2006. If you go back ten yrs it was still relatively cheap.

Yes Fish Fingers .. apologies for the typo in a previous post.

Of course it is close to 5 year lows ...

Good catch, thanks.

post-145190-0-26596200-1437752946_thumb.

Well it isn't particularly cheap there either is it.

I can afford a cat to swing here, and get room to do so.

Horribly overcrowded place HK.

No worries my friend, no one with any working knowledge of Bangkok verses Hong Kong could possibly write this tripe.

I smell a whine made for very sour grapes indeed!

I don't live in Bangkok either, you should do some research.

So are you claiming Hong Kong is cheaper and less crowded than Bangkok or just posting for your own benefit?

*sigh* Read it again sir.

I was AGREEING with you.

My apologies, as you were replying to me it appeared differently.

It has also been reported that Thai Bonds are on the decline due to the Junta failing to keep to their promises, also causing pressure on the baht.

If the baht reacts in this fashion to very weak pressure, what will the situation be when the Fed actually announces the first rate hike date.

70 to the $ me thinks

So, not only will the lower baht help would-be tourists decide they should come here,
It is instantly helping the economy.
Because last night, I wanted to take my family out for dinner.
My wife said: Let's go to the 179 baht AYCE Barbeque.
I said, nah (thinking about my extra retirement income in dollars), let's go to our favorite restaurant in Phuket: Sure Garden Restaurant.
Spent 1700 baht instead of 500 something.

By the way, looks like 35 is a strong resistance level.

Dear me! The beer swilling procurers of prostitutes have spoken! Eleven years of drunken debourchery should be enough! Try another country.

It's "debauchery", and just because some of us remember things from more than a decade ago, doesn't automatically mean we/they have continued doing those things for the last 11 years. Are you a new addition to the shores of Thailand?

I have just finished watching an interview with an economist (not my favorite people as they never get it right) but she stated that the Chinese always inflate their numbers to the positive side or to their liking. An example of this would be their under estimated figures on how much gold they hold to get prices down to buy more on the cheap. She stated that the true growth for China was closer to 5% than 7% and suggested that they should do a one time re-balance of their currency. This is the second E I have heard make a lower forecast. She foresees growth coming down to 3 to 4 % eventually which will definitely hurt commodity countries like mine. She calls it China bust. I take this as an informative read but if true Thailand which is drawing closer to China could suffer some backlash as well but if that happens I think the domino's will fall all over the world not just here. At my ripe old age will I see the domino collapse who knows. As usual the poor will be burnt and the money merchants will make off like bandits. There will be a lot of fire sales. One reason that the stock market is roaring is that companies take their profits and instead of reinvesting in the economy and creating jobs they buy their own stock back thus creating a shortage of stock and that drives the price up. They also instead of investing in the economy buy out their competitors with cheap money make shareholders rich and lay off thousands in the ensuing merger restructuring amalgamation I think they have an impressive progressive word for this but to me its just eliminating jobs of hard working people and kicking them to the curb. Greed is their religion the temple at which they worship. Greed of course will some day be man kinds undoing. At my advanced age I hope I miss out on this last curtain call.

Edited by elgordo38

I saw an article yesterday that China is selling massive quantities of gold, and that, strangely, the Indian market, which would be expected to snap it up, is very quiet. I don't know what's going on, but I expect the price of gold is going to drop further. It's definitely not a good investment if you need to convert to money in a hurry. And, gold is not money, nor does it have an intrinsic value. Of course, if you're a Glenn Beck fan now is the time to take all the money you have left and buy more gold. We're about due for another financial crash.

It has ever been a good investment in the long term. It has its periods of rise and fall, but is basically a fatuous investment.

It was 74b to the pound when I arrived in 2001. thumbsup.gif

I'm pretty sure the Thai Baht was in the low to mid 60's for the whole of 2001 and never reached the 70's in 2001, though Som I could be wrong and missed it....... Though I think your maybe talking about 2003/2004...? Or maybe you got 64 baht in 2001....

Edited by MB1

Thailand is no longer cheap. Some would say reasonable. But, not cheap. Many Thai people labor under this continued misconception. No matter how often they raise prices, and no matter how rampant inflation is, Thailand is still very cheap, in the minds of many people, who have not done anything to educate themselves on this matter. I see businesses dropping left and right, who continue to think tourists will pay anything. Even ones opened by foreigners, who are overcharging. Only the ones with reasonable pricing policies are surviving in this competitive market. That many are going out of business is a good thing. Maybe something will be learned in the process. Maybe.

Broke through the 35 threshold and seems to be moving a fast pace again.

Seems reasonable to think that, as we speak, the BOT will be desperately spending foreign reserves to keep the baht up. or at least around the 35.0 mark. It's a face thing and it's a bigger face thing than being able to brag about what the foreign reserves are.

When (if?) the traders start to short the baht, BOT will have no choice but to abandon the effort and accept the loss of face. Not enough muscle, not enough street cred.

If that does happen, then we'll see a whole different kind of fast.

Deja-vu anyone?

Edited by Red Queen