One Phuket landscaper dead, another in hospital after being electrocuted

webfact

One Phuket landscaper dead, another in hospital after being electrocuted
Eakkapop Thongtub

1437725484_1-org.jpg
Mr Supakit and Mr Phumi were electrocuted when moving this tree.

PHUKET: -- One landscaper died and another is in hospital after they were both electrocuted while using a crane to lift a tree into the back of a truck in Srisoonthon this morning (July 24).

At 9:40am, Thalang police received a call from Thalang Hospital stating that one person who had been electrocuted while lifting a tree close to electric cables had died.

Police had initially been told by rescue workers that two landscapers had been electrocuted while using a crane to lift a tree onto a truck on a road near Baan Manik-Cherng Talay in Srisoonthon.

The dead man was later named as Supakit Kaewnarin, 30, from Srisaket, a landscape contractor who worked in the area.

Police said that after checking the body with doctors they found no sign of assault or wounds on the body.

Kusolharm rescue workers had tried to save Mr Supakitʼs life when transporting him and the other victim, Phumi Boonyapitak, 40, to Thalang Hospital but were unsuccesful.

Mr Phumi is currently recovering at Thalang Hospital.

Police revealed that prior to the incident Mr Phumi was operating the crane used to lift a tree onto the back of a truck for a customer. Supakit and some other workers were standing on the ground.

The crane hit the electricity cables above while Mr Phumi was using the crane and an electric current was passed to his body.

When he saw what happened, Mr Supakit ran to pull Mr Phumi away ansd the current was passed onto him.

Mr Supakit collapsed and loss consciousness and died on the way to hospital.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/one-phuket-landscaper-dead-another-in-hospital-after-being-electrocuted-53340.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-07-24

I'm having trouble imagining why anyone would be operating such a crane immediately next to power lines?

The flip flops should have protected him from being grounded, No?

Those top power lines are most likely the MV (medium voltage) distribution system operating at normally 22,000 volts, 33,000 volts at other grids. So flip flops will not be helpful if that is what they came in contact with.

I'm having trouble imagining why anyone would be operating such a crane immediately next to power lines?

Those top power lines are most likely the MV (medium voltage) distribution system operating at normally 22,000 volts, 33,000 volts at other grids. So flip flops will not be helpful if that is what they came in contact with.

the power lines above are 110,000 Volts and the ones below 33,000 Volts but you're right with this voltage flip flops really won't help

Need some help in understanding this. The crane comes into contact with insulated wiring, so how was the current transferred to the crane? There is lots of give in those cables, they're not taut, so it would not be easy, I assume, for the crane to make a cut in them.

Maybe a pair of those platform flip flops....?. RIP and get well hopes. So there is no training whatsoever for these guys, it appears

Need some help in understanding this. The crane comes into contact with insulated wiring, so how was the current transferred to the crane? There is lots of give in those cables, they're not taut, so it would not be easy, I assume, for the crane to make a cut in them.

All of the medium / high voltage around my place has no insulation, 33kV (I take it you are referring to the PVC insulation on 240V type cord)- pretty normal really.

Edited by Vogele123

Insulation is an issue here.

Most of the local supplied electrics have one insulated wire.

Bad luck for these guys, sorry to hear the bad news.

Probably a fair bit of incompetence involved.??

Fancy getting zapped by the higher rated lines!

I wonder what the crane driver was looking at. I imagine he was qualified, trained and insured to do the job as they all are when you ask them?

Regards

It almost seems like they were completely unaware that the lines posed any danger. Is this incident a sign that their education and basic knowledge was lacking to the point of not understanding the danger of electricity and how it gets to our homes?

Insulation is an issue here.

Most of the local supplied electrics have one insulated wire.

Bad luck for these guys, sorry to hear the bad news.

Probably a fair bit of incompetence involved.??

Fancy getting zapped by the higher rated lines!

I wonder what the crane driver was looking at. I imagine he was qualified, trained and insured to do the job as they all are when you ask them?

Regards

You want it two ways. Not competent and then you say bad luck. can't have it two ways sir.

Not sure if anyone answered this wita, but the power can arc itself to the crane.

Something I learnt doing a boom lift course. I think by memory it's a 10metre safety zone for low voltage lines and 25metres for high voltage.

And unlike the movies if the boom lift became electrified you're fine, but if you attempted to jump out you'll be electrocuted.

Edit to add, I don't think the lines lack of insulation plays a part.

Edited by krisb

A couple of years back I was the supervisor to manage the contractor ploughing cable into the ground.

We came up to overhead power lines that were approx some 10-12 meters high at the lowest point where we we going under them with a D7 dozer.

Now the paper work to have a proper access permit issued by the power authority would take a coulpe of days to process etc ...and if i have a dozer sitting waiting, my boss will go off !! ... and we were in a hurry ... and it was only for 50 meters then we are away.

Well, I got into a lot of trouble for going under those power lines without a permit and I can tell you thats why there are rules ..... if that requirement was in place here that young man would still be alive today ...

very sad that the gov doesn't enforce rules on safety ....

Edited by steven100

Take another look at the picture and look at where the cables are fixed to the post. Those things they are fixed to are ceramic or glazed pottery insulators. The cables are bare. There is a mandatory sign in the operators cab warning him to be aware of the possibility of electrocution from overhead cables. Either he did not see the cables or he did not heed the warning. RIP.

I still remember one rainy afternoon about a year ago when I passed by 2 guys repairing high voltage electrical wires. I remember the rain was falling at the time and kept driving not wanting to be around if the wires started sparking. Things like that amaze and frighten me.

They were landscapers operating a crane not crane operators so doubtful they were trained or aware of the danger. Boss will pay a small fine to the families for their loss and new landscapers will be hired to operate the crane and move the trees under the power lines. And why did he lift the tree so damn high anyway? The ball of the tree is above the cab.

Take another look at the picture and look at where the cables are fixed to the post. Those things they are fixed to are ceramic or glazed pottery insulators. The cables are bare. There is a mandatory sign in the operators cab warning him to be aware of the possibility of electrocution from overhead cables. Either he did not see the cables or he did not heed the warning. RIP.

Those are the regular 220 volt house supply line. I assume he hit the higher up High Voltage lines which do have the ceramic insulators.

High voltage lines are not insulated and at that voltage the crane would not have to made contact the power would have jumped to earth through the metal jib even being close and as for cables being so called insulated NO they are not they are now classed as covered NOT Insulated as they have now found out that cracking occurs due to UV breakdown Never trust them to be insulated !!!!

Is unforgivable that the authorities allow this to go on in LOS, should have been an isolation booked in and carried out prior to the work undertaken by the Power Co, then correct PPE and authorised people operating thje crane/equipment - RIP to the poor bloke who went to the rescue of his workmate and done all the wrong things (probably not trained at all) and paid with his life. Hope the other bloke recovers ok and has not sustained horrific burns if it was high voltage

Is sad and unfortunatly will just carry on along with Cement trucks involved with RTAs and brakes failing on buses etc...

Those are the regular 220 volt house supply line. I assume he hit the higher up High Voltage lines which do have the ceramic insulators.

Nonsense! 220 V. lines go into the house - after the voltage has been stepped down at the electrical box. Those high power lines are many times higher than 220 V.; insulation would have to be very thick and heavy to be effective. Hence there is no insulation.

Trouble is people in Thailand have no sense of the power and danger of electricity, no more than of moving motor vehicles or drunks with weapons.