Surprise! New Thailand booze ban now in effect

Jonathan Fairfield

Surprise! New booze ban now in effect

By Todd Ruiz

boozemapheader.gif

ABOVE: Areas affected in Bangkok’s central business district under the 300-meter ban specified in the order signed Monday and expected to go into effect next month. Yesterday a more vaguely worded ban was included in a surprise batch of new laws from the military government which went into immediate effect.

BANGKOK: All sales of alcohol near schools nationwide, without exemption or exception, were banned yesterday under a vaguely worded order from the military government.

Although Prime Minister Gen. Prayuth Chan-ocha signed a specific order banning alcohol sales within 300 meters on Monday, a new law was unexpectedly published yesterday stating that “no person shall sell alcoholic beverages near the boundary lines of educational institutions or dormitories near educational institutions."

The law includes no language defining how near is “near.” The law includes all schools, not just high schools and universities. The law includes no exceptions or exemptions. The law went into immediate effect. Yesterday.

Thanakorn Kuptajit, president of the Thai Alcoholic Beverage Business Association told Coconuts today it came out of nowhere.

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-07-24

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, now just to confirm.

In Pattaya , Wat Chai has a school, Walking street is less than 300 meters away, so no more alcohol on Walking street?

On 3 road, there is a hair stylist school and a a numbers of bars and pubs . So no more alcohol at any of those ?

If that's the case , may be best to close all bars and just open schools

From the map, it looks like the lower end of Nana, Soi 6, Soi 8 and around that side of Suk, and some of Soi 11 all the way to Cowboy and surrounding areas cannot sell alcohol.

I don't see mention of a time limit...like up until 8pm at night. Can't imagine that they would make it 24 hour ban.

Pretty funny if this is in fact true and enforced.

A lot of unhappy Mongers.

From the map, it looks like the lower end of Nana, Soi 6, Soi 8 and around that side of Suk, and some of Soi 11 all the way to Cowboy and surrounding areas cannot sell alcohol.

I don't see mention of a time limit...like up until 8pm at night. Can't imagine that they would make it 24 hour ban.

It is not just bars, it is 7/11s, restaurants, hotels (of which there are many in that area). There are two 7/11s on my street that affected. It does not matter that the schools on my street - the students are not legally able to purchase (8 years underage).... and a matter of just enforcing the current laws prior to this would have stopped almost all students from drinking (drinking age is 20). Just make it so that anyone that looks under 25 has to be id'd. Of course we all know that what will really happen is it will just be used as a money making opportunity for police.

Ok, now just to confirm.

In Pattaya , Wat Chai has a school, Walking street is less than 300 meters away, so no more alcohol on Walking street?

On 3 road, there is a hair stylist school and a a numbers of bars and pubs . So no more alcohol at any of those ?

That was the first thing I thought of as well, the school essentially across the street from Walking Street. The article says no exeptions but I bet there will be soon.

What about little storefront schools? Sure wont make them popular with the neighborhood shops if they all have to stop selling beer.

I can't wait to read the comments of all the sexpats freaking out about this. I doubt this will end your world pervies !

haters gonna hate

Exaggerated...knee jerk reaction by all.

Go back and read the original story...it excludes hotels/restaurants/venues...that have the appropriate government blessing. I bet it has more to do with preventing more alcohol sales in those areas..and possibly might be used as leverage for "fill in the blank" for establishments that have the official government papers/permits to operate.

Your alcohol and ladies who serve such...will simply not be going away. It just may be a bit more expensive (taxable/tea money) to keep open.

Expect prices to go up...as the baht devalues. There is alot of cash being thrown around in these places.

Edited by slipperylobster

Ok, now just to confirm.

I am sure i read designated entertainment areas exempt, sure I saw Pattaya exempt also in another article

"Entertainment areas which include Ratchada, Patpong and New Phetchaburi will be exempt from the ban"

http://www.pattayamail.com/news/ban-on-alcohol-sale-near-school-campus-enforced-within-a-month-48907

I'd like to see an expanded map - not just the lower Sukhumvit area. ThongLor for example, isn't shown on this map. I wonder what the ThongLor cops think about this... is it going to hinder their moneymaking activities, or are they getting a big increase?

If this law persists and does not fall by the wayside, it is going to affect a lot of businesses. I know one owner of two restaurants on Soi 8 that is in the red zone now. She won't be too pleased about this.

I think it would make sense if they applied some forethought, and some zoning. Where is an area away from the schools that could become a new nightlife district?

Ideally, the better solution would be to move the schools out of the city core to a location that is easily accessible by transit for students. This would saolve a lot of traffic and congestion in the city center evey day.

But I have been here long enough to know that rational thinking is never part of the process.

It is not just bars, it is 7/11s, restaurants, hotels (of which there are many in that area). There are two 7/11s on my street that affected. It does not matter that the schools on my street - the students are not legally able to purchase (8 years underage).... and a matter of just enforcing the current laws prior to this would have stopped almost all students from drinking (drinking age is 20). Just make it so that anyone that looks under 25 has to be id'd. Of course we all know that what will really happen is it will just be used as a money making opportunity for police.

Good points. I didn't really think about it...but I'm sure there are a few nervous business owners right now.

Be interesting how this progresses.

You could be right. Might be money making...or time limits might be enforced, like up till 8pm...or it could be the end of an era.

Makes no difference to me...but does seem like an odd solution to a questionable problem...if it even exists...never seen a drunk 8 year old.

You have to wonder how accurate the Coconuts report is, if as per the report it will affect every outlet that sells alcohol. As previously stated, not simply bars, BUT, all sales outlets (supermarkets,convenience stores, corner stores, etc). What the articles doesn't clarify if it's a 24/07 ban or specific times?

LOL, you couldn't make it up. They appear to have wiped the entire hospitality industry in a major capital city off the map.

Something is either lost in translation here or someone has deliberately done something to make the current government look incredibly foolish in front of the whole world.

It's a ridiculous, poorly thought-through, knee-jerk law that will lead nowhere (and will be unenforceable in the long term).

While I do see the need to get this country's youth away from the booze (we ARE, after all, the second-highest alcohol consumer in ASEAN and one of the top boozing countries in the world apart from some Eastern European nations), the horse has once again been saddled up from the wrong end.

And if you're operating a bartender school, you're in deep trouble now, huh?

Exaggerated...knee jerk reaction by all.

Go back and read the original story...it excludes hotels/restaurants/venues...that have the appropriate government blessing. I bet it has more to do with preventing more alcohol sales in those areas..and possibly might be used as leverage for "fill in the blank" for establishments that have the official government papers/permits to operate.

Your alcohol and ladies who serve such...will simply not be going away. It just may be a bit more expensive (taxable/tea money) to keep open.

Expect prices to go up...as the baht devalues. There is alot of cash being thrown around in these places.

You go back and read it! The law is NOT clear and if you think you understand what it says you are probably in a minority of one.

I'd like to see an expanded map - not just the lower Sukhumvit area. ThongLor for example, isn't shown on this map. I wonder what the ThongLor cops think about this... is it going to hinder their moneymaking activities, or are they getting a big increase?

If this law persists and does not fall by the wayside, it is going to affect a lot of businesses. I know one owner of two restaurants on Soi 8 that is in the red zone now. She won't be too pleased about this.

I think it would make sense if they applied some forethought, and some zoning. Where is an area away from the schools that could become a new nightlife district?

Ideally, the better solution would be to move the schools out of the city core to a location that is easily accessible by transit for students. This would saolve a lot of traffic and congestion in the city center evey day.

But I have been here long enough to know that rational thinking is never part of the process.

With the schools out of the city, where would all the "staff" come from?

And they actually think this will have an effect on booze related traffic deaths or stop uni students from drinking?

The naivety is staggering and the disruption/damage to long established businesses and local tourism is just irresponsible idiocy.

FAIL!

blink.png

Edited by Fullstop