Farangs and large tattoos: ugly or lovely?

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have achieved your destiny as a sports icon or music superstar etc. go ahead and mark yourself up as if is mearly a part of your persona. If you belonged to a group so much so that it is a part of you, military service for example, then go ahead and commemorate that. But, if you are putting ink in your body strictly for the purpose of being unique or standing out, be assured there is no better way to express that you are a follower and have maxed out your social-economic level at the bottom of society. And especially for a woman, whose body is already a work of art, to mark it for any reason other than those described above is the summit of stupidity. Just today I saw a breath-taking Russian beauty on the beach who was flawless in every visible way except she was destroyed with hip to rib black ink. It was saddening. How, or more importantly why, she came to the conclusion this behavior would enhance her beauty was evidence of an obvious psychological flaw.

If you have achieved your destiny as a sports icon or music superstar etc. go ahead and mark yourself up as if is mearly a part of your persona. If you belonged to a group so much so that it is a part of you, military service for example, then go ahead and commemorate that. But, if you are putting ink in your body strictly for the purpose of being unique or standing out, be assured there is no better way to express that you are a follower and have maxed out your social-economic level at the bottom of society. And especially for a woman, whose body is already a work of art, to mark it for any reason other than those described above is the summit of stupidity. Just today I saw a breath-taking Russian beauty on the beach who was flawless in every visible way except she was destroyed with hip to rib black ink. It was saddening. How, or more importantly why, she came to the conclusion this behavior would enhance her beauty was evidence of an obvious psychological flaw.

I really don't think she give a crap about if a 60 year old monger finds her attractive.

Flipping hilarious some of the posters citing attention seeking and identity crisis related reasons for getting tattoos...coming from a bunch of 40, 50 and 60 something men who moved to Thailand to reap the thrills of being a "handsum man" to a bunch of impoverished, third world single mums.

Those from England will be familiar with the saying,"pot calling the kettle black".

I guess it's a generational thing. I'm in my 60's and I don't like them at all. But as mentioned above, they probably don't give a sh*t what I like. That's the way I was when I was young and had long hair and a beard. In fact, I sort of liked the fact that old farts were pissed off about it! smile.png

Indeed. When I was younger I had the full beard and hair to my shoulders and enjoyed pissing off the button down types. The difference is that with tattoos you are stuck with them for life. Things go in cycles and I expect that tatts will go out of style eventually. I have seen some real art tattoos and some tatts are ethnic in origin but in general to me they just look like body graffiti and bad life choices. Just my personal opinion and I certainly am not going to voice that opinion to tatt wearers. Their choice.

Flipping hilarious some of the posters citing attention seeking and identity crisis related reasons for getting tattoos...coming from a bunch of 40, 50 and 60 something men who moved to Thailand to reap the thrills of being a "handsum man" to a bunch of impoverished, third world single mums.

Those from England will be familiar with the saying,"pot calling the kettle black".

Oi oi! Pot calling kettle black? Nay nay.... expressing opinion only as invited. To be sure there are some or mny here as described but as to whether or not they "reap" is an individual thing. For myself I fit not into your generalization but I still accept the invitation.

And you Sir? Be you one of those who number in your description or do you comment from afar?

Oi oi! Pot calling kettle black? Nay nay.... expressing opinion only as invited. To be sure there are some or mny here as described but as to whether or not they "reap" is an individual thing. For myself I fit not into your generalization but I still accept the invitation.

And you Sir? Be you one of those who number in your description or do you comment from afar?

I don't fit into any of those age categories, but I am the wrong side of 35 and wise enough to not make wild generalisations about people with tattoos. Everyone is on their own journey, and we all get to the same place in the end. What we need in this world is less judgement and criticism - which is purely a reflection of our own fear, insecurities and bitterness - and instead more compassion and understanding with each other.

Is it really true that lasers can remove tattoos, and how does the skin look after? Is it okay or a mess?

Obviously this topic is going to provoke emotional reactions cos there's no easy turning back for those tattooed Westerners...,what can be their reaction be when someone remarks, 'God, what happened to your arm, it looks terrible!'

They're going to feel upset on 2 counts:

1. They did it to themselves, they can't blame others- there's no excuse.

2. It's very hard to remove, if someone says, ' Jeez, you look rough today, hungover eh '- you can accept it cos you know with a good night's sleep you can wake up looking fine tomorrow, but the tattooed wakes up with his arm looking as dreadful as usual.

So the tattooed must justify his tattoo to protect his self esteem, otherwise he must accept he has been a wally- which is too much loss of face

less is more- a butterfly on an ankle, an intricate Buddhist inscription on the back can provoke interest and appreciation but a smear of grey across an arm or leg is simply crass- long sleeve shirts or trousers for life are best thereafter.

I met a guy a couple of years ago in Chiang Mai. He was a Ausy full of tatoo' from neck to toes....I was reluctant to get real close with him, I also had preconceptions about people with tat's....turns out he was one of the nicest and funniest guys I ever met....he could tell the most funniest things without moving a face muscle....dry...black humour....he was so funny.

don't have any tattoos or piercings myself, and don't like em, but I have great friends that have em....Mai Pen Rai......I have learned to judge people on other things than appearance....

Best regards. Off Road Pat

Is it really true that lasers can remove tattoos, and how does the skin look after? Is it okay or a mess?

Obviously this topic is going to provoke emotional reactions cos there's no easy turning back for those tattooed Westerners...,what can be their reaction be when someone remarks, 'God, what happened to your arm, it looks terrible!'

They're going to feel upset on 2 counts:

1. They did it to themselves, they can't blame others- there's no excuse.

2. It's very hard to remove, if someone says, ' Jeez, you look rough today, hungover eh '- you can accept it cos you know with a good night's sleep you can wake up looking fine tomorrow, but the tattooed wakes up with his arm looking as dreadful as usual.

So the tattooed must justify his tattoo to protect his self esteem, otherwise he must accept he has been a wally- which is too much loss of face

less is more- a butterfly on an ankle, an intricate Buddhist inscription on the back can provoke interest and appreciation but a smear of grey across an arm or leg is simply crass- long sleeve shirts or trousers for life are best thereafter.

BN, years ago I worked with a guy who has his removed.

His answer to me at the time was, 10 times the price, 10 times the pain and 10 times the time.

He paid $100 per square inch, it took him about 10 sittings, not all these colours can be zapped off at the same pace, it depends on the colours/pigments used.

Ever noticed how a lot of these guys have red that you can no longer see,the sun has already zapped it.

Never mind, as for Rob, his skin looks ok, the only problem is, he can never get a tan again, if he tans, where the tat was is white skin, it dont tan.

Another guy I knew, dont laugh, he had, rock n roll on the back of one hand, Elvis is king on the back of another, he had a skin graft (never mind the pain from the inner thighs), the back of his hands looked as if someone had poured boiling water over them, a right mess.

Love those upcountry ban nork tatts, especially the 2 inch swastika above the ankle.

Even better, Sexy written on the back of the hand, LOL

I suppose if you are bored out your mind in Nakon Nowhere it might seem tan samai mai.

There is a girl I know, she has to wear three inch bangles everyday she goes to work, to cover up the ink job she got upcountry.

Guess it depends on what one thinks.....

I have two tats but they are never seen when I wear a shirt.

they both have meaning to me, in my heart....

The old Thai tats that I have seen were a sense of merit, in the Temple....

Perhaps a sign of what they had been through.

this is how it was explained to me.

I do little to ever show them off, because it is personal to me.

Just my observation.....smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

I personally do not like the look of it.

I always think of some nasty infection when I see green limbs.

And surely the wearer knows many feel negatively about the wearers of tattoos and yet still do it, so obviously worry little on how their appearance affects others.

I wonder if there is some addiction to the process.

It looks rather ridiculous on elder people too, but hey, up to them.

do have a problem with young people say 20 or under having tats cos they don't know any better but when these old farang fools come to Thailand in there 50s up I see they have all new tattoos I can only guess that they are trying to reinvent there selves and want to put across their young , tuff and sexy but in there own country the people that know them know there W---KERS and other people here just look at them as idiots.cheesy.gif

asian body art i find up there with some of the best iv'e seen, especially on the women.

my wife and i have tatts, hers because it's a family thing being of Chinese origin and the fact that a lot of other family members have sak yant.

For every one that looks like that, there's a thousand with a hideous mess.

And they all look worse with time.

What was a cute rose bud on the breast at 20, is a long stemmed rose by 50.

So many come here at middle age and try to impress the young girls or recreate a youth they never had. Ex accountants, shelf fillers etc arrive get a few tattoos and firstly a Honda Phantom and think they are some kind of bad ass biker. Next comes the leather waistcote and bike moves up to a Steed 400 plus a few more tattoos. Its comical really. Then its join some M.C. and go to Burapha and other bike shows acting like a real bad ass..better than any comedy show ive seen on T.V.

I am 55 years old & got my first Tattoo when my first grandchild was born. I have the names of all my children & grandchildren on my right forearm & my Thai family on my left. It means something to me & that is the only reason. I take them with me where ever I go. BTW I am off to get the emblem of my football team on my upper arm. Again this is special to me. Its a personal choice & years ago I used to frown on it like you do. But like stated many times My body My choice.

Cheers

So many come here at middle age and try to impress the young girls or recreate a youth they never had. Ex accountants, shelf fillers etc arrive get a few tattoos and firstly a Honda Phantom and think they are some kind of bad ass biker. Next comes the leather waistcote and bike moves up to a Steed 400 plus a few more tattoos. Its comical really. Then its join some M.C. and go to Burapha and other bike shows acting like a real bad ass..better than any comedy show ive seen on T.V.

Agree with the above, however...

i moved here in 03 aged 43, already had lots of ink, sleeves since i was 20, full back,ribs, breastplates, r/h leg since i was 35, rode motorcycles all my adult life. So the above does'nt apply to me. The only thing i regret is running out of space. Last year aged 54 had my first tattoo in over 12 years, trad Thai style, just managed to find a nice place for it.

Oh, and never judge a book by it's cover...

I met a guy a couple of years ago in Chiang Mai. He was a Ausy full of tatoo' from neck to toes....I was reluctant to get real close with him, I also had preconceptions about people with tat's....turns out he was one of the nicest and funniest guys I ever met....he could tell the most funniest things without moving a face muscle....dry...black humour....he was so funny.

don't have any tattoos or piercings myself, and don't like em, but I have great friends that have em....Mai Pen Rai......I have learned to judge people on other things than appearance....

More than a few years ago I met two cool German guys playing pool in a bar in Lamai / Koh Samui...(The Rising Sun, Don't exist anymore) the guys were very good looking, long hear, armless open in front leather jackets, with a six pack, tat's on the right places, very well muscled, etc... they were funny, All the bar girls went real crazy when they passed close to there bars,..........we had a great night playing good pool games and the atmosphere was great. so I told them I would go off road with my jeep in the mountains the next day, they could join me if they like ? and I'll show them a few great places were no tourists come, maybe we would see some snakes, big lizards and big spiders. and the most beautiful views....on the island.

And the apparent leader or more dominant of the two asked me " is this dangerous " ??? ......right at this moment.. !!!.. I understood that everything was show off without substance...good looking packages but empty...!!!

They were most likely some sort of "Chipendales" . those male strippers witch are looking great, and are only busy with themselves to look great.!!!!!

Needless to say they did not want to have a off road experience....and take a few small risks...!!!!

Sins that time I have learned to look behind the tattoo's or right tru them....Can't help noticing them, but I'm not impressed.

I have all kind of friends that have Tat's one has a big beautiful tattoo, Yakuza style over his back and shoulders and part of he's breast ...a real masterpiece.

Others have started with one and made one more and later one more....it's all up to them.

Sometimes I see gorgeous girls that destroy there beautiful body's by one or multiple big or small Tat's on the wrong places....!...

Some can be extremely beautiful with great taste.........it's all up to them.

post-218873-0-73228700-1438077296_thumb.

post-218873-0-78582700-1438077405_thumb.

post-218873-0-77442800-1438077433_thumb.

post-218873-0-96832600-1438077453_thumb.

post-218873-0-15237100-1438077557_thumb.

Edited by off road pat