Farangs and large tattoos: ugly or lovely?

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had a tattoo for 45 years now.

Thought it was cool for about 5 of those years.

I believe that whoever can invent a (somewhat) easy way to erase them will be the next "richest man in the world"

I had some friends in California who had some relatively small, tasteful tattoos removed because their employer did not allow visible tattoos. (Hospitality workers at the Ritz- literally the Ritz)

It was done by laser. I can't imagine zapping a whole body tattoo, but removing their small ones seemed to be uneventful, and left no noticeable marks.

Edit: BTW, that was the mid '90s.

Edited by impulse

Tats are the visual equivilant to cigarette smoke.

Wow people can get sick from cigarette smoke, how does a tattoo cause disease ?

Your delusional, maybe your socks and sandals are too tight restricting blood flow to the upper regions of your body

Well there is an increasing body of evidence that some tattoos may be dangerous.

The problem is not so much about black inks -but rather the brighter colours - so for example red inks are often cadmium compounds- the idea of putting a heavy metal into your body is not good. They cause cancers and are toxic in many ways- interfere with enzymes.

There have been cases where lymph nodes have been discovered to be coloured. The inks will pass into the lymphatic system .

Going back to the OP. Some tats are attractive- but I don't care for the full sleeve look- often just looks a black mess- no clear design- looks like skin disease

Stop breathing, literally each breath is killing you by a tiniest amount.

Actually would probably agree, oxygen is highly reactive and leads to free radicals- but is necessary for oxidative phosphorylation.

However injecting metals such as cadmium, chromium etc into your body is something that you choose to do. I doubt any doctor would say- lie back- it might hurt a bit and lets inject some carcinogenic compounds into your blood stream and lymphatic system .

Whatever you do, don't mention the scientific data correlating tattoos to an increased rate of mental health problems.

Unless you like being on the bottom of a dog pile of hate.

Correlation for you... "ice cream sales increase in the summer so does murder rates. Conclusion: ice cream raises murder rates"

Actually would probably agree, oxygen is highly reactive and leads to free radicals- but is necessary for oxidative phosphorylation.

However injecting metals such as cadmium, chromium etc into your body is something that you choose to do. I doubt any doctor would say- lie back- it might hurt a bit and lets inject some carcinogenic compounds into your blood stream and lymphatic system .

Well, we all take risks each and every second on this planet. You most likely choose to sit on a motorcycle (maybe not?) in Thailand and it's probably about 19523 times more dangerous than getting a tattoo or two. The risk of getting seriously ill from a tattoo is so remote that well... i have other things to worry about such as not licking frozen poles etc smile.png

Whatever you do, don't mention the scientific data correlating tattoos to an increased rate of mental health problems.

Correlation for you... "ice cream sales increase in the summer so does murder rates. Conclusion: ice cream raises murder rates"

Note that I carefully avoided the word "causation". The science points to a correlation, not causation.

Note that I carefully avoided the word "causation". The science points to a correlation, not causation.

Yes i'm fully aware you didn't use causation for a good reason. My point was that correlation is such a worthless way of "proving" something.

Well, we all take risks each and every second on this planet. You most likely choose to sit on a motorcycle (maybe not?) in Thailand and it's probably about 19523 times more dangerous than getting a tattoo or two. The risk of getting seriously ill from a tattoo is so remote that well... i have other things to worry about such as not licking frozen poles etc smile.png

Actually have never been on a motorcycle - I have a chauffeur .

You are not quite getting what I am going on about - a black ink tattoo is OK - it's carbon based- soot really .

The increased popularity of colours could be a ticking time bomb- years down the line - who knows what they are sticking into you in some parlour in Thailand - assess the risks - the science is not good.

You are not quite getting what I am going on about - a black ink tattoo is OK - it's carbon based- soot really .

The increased popularity of colours could be a ticking time bomb- years down the line - who knows what they are sticking into you in some parlour in Thailand - assess the risks - the science is not good.

Yes it could be a ticking bomb or it couldn't. My point was that there is no point in worrying about something that perhaps sometime in the future could be bad for you.

Yes it could be a ticking bomb or it couldn't. My point was that there is no point in worrying about something that perhaps sometime in the future could be bad for you.

You still don't get it- there is NO doubt about the dangers of heavy metals and their effects on enzymes - they are irreversible non competitive enzyme inhibitors . Again research before injecting these things into your body.

A titchy bit of scientific knowledge may be required- but what the hell- I WANT A RED ROSE on my c*ck

I have a friend who is a doctor. Talking about tattoo's, he said, "I have seen many good tattoos. I have seen many old tattoos. But I have yet to see a good old tattoo." smile.png

I do not have any tattoos, but as someone said, it is an individual decision.

But, i did think that the below was funny.

tattoo-locations-society_zpsjvgpiwqf.jpg

Most upper class people see Tatoos and piercings all over their body as low.Farangs included.People that have this stuff on their body are saying look at me.Most are A little insecure.I was watching on the news that more people are now getting their Tatoos

Removed.I believe it's something like 2 to 1.

It's a personal thing. Body art & decoration has been practiced since the beginning of time. Different strokes for different folks.

Especially by criminals, rich sports stars and low life trailer trash.

So jacky, which category do you put me in ? I have 4 small tatts, only one visible when I'm dressed. First one when I was 55 & last one at 65, I'm now 66. Don't for one minute regret any of them.

I have no criminal record... I'm certainly not rich or a sports star... & I don't live in a trailer.

Reading your comment, an old saying comes to mind....... You don't need a long neck to be a goose.

Malt25, you're what they call a late developer.

Fresh body art is lovely. Unfortunately, most tatoos have zilch art applied, but that's just my opinion. Messaging/commitment is a fast-wasting commodity. Fading/deterioration is a real bummer to the eye.

Whatever, lay-ow-ta-khun. Make your own bed and let me make mine.

This is just my personal view.......

I find it Chavvy...... And cringe when I see anything like it.

But that's me......

Yeah, fat bellies, facial hair, tattooes, what sort of a life would they have out here if they did not have deep pockets?

It sure makes me cringe, but I have to agree, although they are very ugly people, it is their choice, and apart from

having to look at them before a quick turn away, they are doing no one any harm.

What on earth is the fascination with large body tattoos, esp for the farangs who come to T'land? Dark, swirling shapes up the legs starting at the ankle, the arms from shoulder to wrist covered with permanent messages of religious devotion or luv, necks with snakes, back, chest........all may be filled with black or coloured tattoos. And i'm not talking of kids but adults, like over age 25 who, one might think, have a working brain.

I see some young folks with rings in the nose, lip, tongue, eyelid (true); have heard of nipple, and labia rings (never seen) but gotta figure those people are desperate for attention and self-acceptance.

Any insights on this kind of body disfiguration, both tattoos and piercings. The old women esp, IMO, really ugly but many men too. The old Marine with King Neptune on his bicep i can easily understand. The old woman with the large black snake shape descending from her inner thigh down to her ankle, I turn away from such choices.

So you don't like it, don't look but don't think you are a better person because you don't have one

Like I said, disfigurement of the body is peoples own choice, but no way would I look down on them,

or think I was a better person.

Why stop at tattoos and body jewlery, why not have a go at bald people, ginger haired people, people that wear glasses, people that ride small motorcycles, people that ride big motorcycles, people that drove fortunerstongue.png ......

OP needs to get a life!

Bald people cannot help being bald, people cannot change their hair colour unless they dye it, some people cannot help having to wear glasses if they are unsuitable

for contact lenses etc.

But having tattoos is deliberately disfiguring themselves, big difference, and it is their choice.

I am not sure if your are trolling and looking for a fight, or actually have a legitimate disgust and inquiry. Either way I am not going to intentionally add fuel to a fire. I see how many replies there are to this post, and haven't read all of them. With that being said, I feel that I have something to offer.

I am 32 years old and have a wife and daughter, all of us being born in the states. I am a business owner of 9 years. Without getting into the specifics.... I am heavily invested in online retail, and have multiple companies based in Kansas City, operating out of one central warehouse, shipping thousands (and thousands) of products world wide. I am fairly well informed, and well traveled. I have never spent a night in jail. My criminal record contains a few speeding tickets and parking tickets. I am telling you this to paint a picture of the kind of man that I am.

Now that you know all of this.... I am someone who you would consider "covered" in tattoos, as is my wife. I have zero regrets about having them. If anything they are an instant <deleted> detector. If someone will not look past what is on my outside, I have seen more of their character than they ever will of mine. These blinders have cost people my business dealings, friendship, and investments.

The reason for having them is fairly simple. For many they are at their root an expression of freedom. For some that is freedom from parents. For some that is freedom from the moors of their society. On another side, often it's for acceptance itself. When you feel alienated from the normal paths to acceptance, it is easy to embrace the fringe. Becoming a member of this is just as hard as any other social group, but common ground is usually the thread holding it all together.

For me.... It's a little bit of both. It started early. I wanted them when I was 9 years old. I saw a biker and pleaded with my mother to let me get a tattoo. She, as any decent mother would refused. So when I was 17 I lied about my age and got the 1st one. From there it has been one after another. Years into this whole thing I separated myself from the 2 groups mentioned above. It became clear as I became more financially stable and started to build a home life that this was now truly for me. In the same way that you might want to drive a BMW when a Toyota will due, or identify with a certain style of clothing as apposed to another, I identify with these tattoos.

I hoped that this showed you something that you didn't see before. If not, thanks for your time. Maybe you'll see me at a Tesco and think about what truly separates me from everyone else there.

Most upper class people see Tatoos and piercings all over their body as low.Farangs included.People that have this stuff on their body are saying look at me.Most are A little insecure.I was watching on the news that more people are now getting their Tatoos

Removed.I believe it's something like 2 to 1.

Some of the most secure people I know have many tattoos. I think that generalizing people who have tattoos with one cause is comparable to saying that all muslims are terrorists.

Also the 2 to 1 stat.... That might be the number somewhere, but certainly not amongst people who are getting well done, and well thought out tattoos.