Education ministry setting up center to push for Thailand as education hub

Lite Beer

Look at that I gave djjamie a like! for a reasonable non fanboi post, wonders will never ceasethumbsup.gif

Siam>Thailand>Hublandwhistling.gif

Hey!!! but dont you guys get it?, gigglem.gif

They get to set up another half-arsed zero outcome money skimming bureaucracy that half of them will sit on, collect wages and go on junkets

, where do i sign up..5555 passifier.gif

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thai Schools and Universities have little to do with education. They are not achievement based but behavioral based. Thais who can think, argue and reason are an anomaly, the norm is acceptance, non questioning and 'loyal' i.e. dumb.

Edited by jacky54

This is actually a brilliant strategy - become the hub, set the bar at your own level then drag everyone else down to that. At least you don't have to spend any money to change your own system and you can make money by certifying all other member countries to your standard.

On the 2010 Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) Thailand ranked 116th out of 163 countries. Thais’ Internet-based total score was better than those of Cambodia and Laos, a point or two above Vietnam and Burma, but trailing behind Indonesia, Nepal, Bhutan, Bangladesh, China, and Taiwan, and was left in the dust by Malaysia, the Philippines and Singapore.

http://asiancorrespondent.com/76664/thai-education-part-1-ridiculous-o-net-questions/

http://asiancorrespondent.com/78647/thai-education-failures-part-4-dismal-english-language-education/

This is an ambitious plan considering that Thailand's education system has a lot to be desired.

If they were to make it the hub of education they certainly have along way to go.

They may have to actually delay elections again to see this dream realized.

Don't worry. I'm pretty sure your dreams will come through.

Or have I just fed a troll??

Djjamie clearly demonstrates his respect for the current government. I might not always agree with his opinion but its always succinctly articulated and I respect him for it.

I haven't seen him troll anyone as he is accused of doing. Although there does seem to be a small squad gathering to sneer at his posts and personally attack him for his opinions.

Any chance you might show enough savvy to articulate an opinion as opposed to trying to insult this guy?

Why can't it be an educational hub?/ I have heard that at some universities no students fail. They must be pretty good.

Incidentally, there was an interesting article in Bangkok Post today about a student who handed in a blank exam paper. The paper was about the 12 morals (or however many there are) for Thai people and the student felt that she disagreed entirelywith this teaching. Anyway read it, if it is still there.

Seriously, how on earth can Thailand be anywhere near the hub of education?

On a slightly more serious note to an otherwise rather amusing story, the single biggest problem is that as it now stands, Thailand does not have enough teachers who can teach in English. Surely they don't expect all these students to learn Thai?

The Ministry of Eduction curriculum will need a major overhaul to be even remotely relevant to any neighboring country. There are some very unflattering remarks about neighboring states.

On the other hand, it is unlikely that many people will want to pay the steep fees of international schools. If they want an international school, they would be better off to attend in their home country.

Unless I am missing something, there are some very big pieces of this puzzle that are missing.

It's impossible not to do the usual Thai bashing with such ridiculous announcements...

At least they are very consistent. It must be on each official road map:

- Make fake polls

- Cover the truth at any cost

- Create a hub every few weeks

- Finger point at Burmese or Khmer for all problems

- Farangs cannot understand

- Thailand does not need any assistance

What you seems about right. It's sad indeed but in Thailand, the political benefit comes from the announcement not the delivery, becaus Thais have a very short span of attention.

For example, the HIV cure announced a while ago by a Thai hospital (I think it was the one that the ridiculous 'ribbish collector manages). Of course it was commplete BS and had no credibilioty whatsoever outside of Thailand, but among Thais it created the desired imp[ression that Thailand is at the front-line of medical research. Mucg street cred among Thais who know not excrement from clay.

Hence completely nonsensical statements like TL being an "education hub" despite having one of the worst performing education systems in the world.

As someone else here said "Dear God, please make it stop".

Don't forget the Ebola cure...

Sometimes, people are so stupid that they don't know what they don't know. Their incompetence is breathtaking in scope and sad beyond belief.

deluded in nationalism.

"nationalism is an infantile disease. nationalism is the measles of mankind" a non thai by the name of albert einstein

could news stories like this actually be fiction concocted by tv to garner hits and provide comic relief?

Edited by atyclb

Probably they reckon if they could call the shots as the education hub ASEAN then they wouldn't actually have to reform the education system in Thailand. They probably think they would be in a position to tell Singapore and the rest of the competition to relax and not be so serious about accomplishing anything because after all we are Thai and we are the education hub so we know better.

Oh god. Please stop.

I swear to god they are trolling us. Maybe this whole forum is a 'Truman Show' kinda deal?

EVERY GOVERNMENT MEETING

Minister 1: Hey, you want to see something funny, brother?

Minster 2: What?

Minister 1: Look at this press release where I declare that Thailand is a hub.

Minister 2: That's absurd.

Minister 1: Yeah, I know. That's not the joke. Check out this site Thai Visa. Go there in a half hour and watch their heads explode.

. . . An hour later

Minister 2: This is hilarious. These farangs are such idiots.

Minister 1: I know, it's better than poking a tiger through the bars at the zoo,

Minister 2: Oh, I have to be the hub of something. Help me come up with an idea.

This is an ambitious plan considering that Thailand's education system has a lot to be desired.

If they were to make it the hub of education they certainly have along way to go.

That's a very optimistic and kind way of putting it, bless you.

Perhaps what is envisaged requires no improvement at all; Certificates at a price that all can afford?

Throwing money at education does not work, we already know that.

Thailand has one of the most expensive education systems in the world, with the worst results.

First, they need to start teaching the "Critical Thinking Method" like most of the modern world.

Second they need to train and hire teachers who's priority is the education of the students and not their paychecks and how little they can get away with doing in order to collect those paychecks.

Corruption is a cancer in the Thai school system and it is the students who suffer.

Corruption is the cancer of every conceivable corner of Thailand, most especially the Justice system, with politicians and the education system close behind.

Don't worry. I'm pretty sure your dreams will come through.

Or have I just fed a troll??

Djjamie clearly demonstrates his respect for the current government. I might not always agree with his opinion but its always succinctly articulated and I respect him for it.

I haven't seen him troll anyone as he is accused of doing. Although there does seem to be a small squad gathering to sneer at his posts and personally attack him for his opinions.

Any chance you might show enough savvy to articulate an opinion as opposed to trying to insult this guy?

My deepest apologies if I have upset djjamie but with statements like the one I've highlighted above my "trolldar" howls. I just don't know how anyone could make such a statement in seriousness.

When will the Ministry of Education and the Teachers council of Thailand ever recognize a TEFL or TESL qualification and stop asking for a bachelor degree (which does not prove one can teach). I see a lot of advertising for foreign teachers, but very seldom see a request for a TEFL/TESL qualification. So what do the institutes gain from these courses other than making a lot of money? And what do the students gain from the courses in respect of getting work if they don't have a bachelor degree?