2 Bars Closed Down Under Junta's Sweeping Booze Ban

Lite Beer

Has anybody informed the government , that as everybody is supposed to carry ID . Just ensure that every establishment selling alcohol. Checks ID first .. In England now that works very well , ( you just get hundreds of drunkun 20 something's rolling round the street centres on a Friday night ) different story .. But <deleted> .. Just enforce the law .. , 7-11, " how old are you ? , ". " 21 " ... You have id , ? " yes " .... Ok ...... No , the fanta red is over there ..

.. "jah" says the youth, leaves, then comes back 20 minutes later with a pickup full of 15 mates who throw ping pong bombs all round the shop..

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anybody informed the government , that as everybody is supposed to carry ID . Just ensure that every establishment selling alcohol. Checks ID first .. In England now that works very well , ( you just get hundreds of drunkun 20 something's rolling round the street centres on a Friday night ) different story .. But <deleted> .. Just enforce the law .. , 7-11, " how old are you ? , ". " 21 " ... You have id , ? " yes " .... Ok ...... No , the fanta red is over there ..

.. "jah" says the youth, leaves, then comes back 20 minutes later with a pickup full of 15 mates who throw ping pong bombs all round the shop..
. What youth would be driving the pick up ? .. And the shop would call the police . They are the ones who are going to inforce the law are they not .. And if not , then it don't matter .

If alcohol were discovered today, it would be on the class A drugs list and banned. My life would also be completely different.

Alcohol is much safer than pure heroin and causes many more accidents and crime. Also much safer to come off a heroin addiction than an alcohol one. But lets say booze is socially acceptable as are prozac and valium but throw those smoking a joint in jail for 25 years - pathetic ignorance and double standards.

How oxymoronic that alcohol is much safer than heroin and causes more accidents and crime.

Come on, cut the poor addled guy some slack for an obvious mis-statement. OTOH he did say PURE heroin, and I would suggest the average user sees flying pigs more often. Real ones, not hallucinations. Instead he gets to inject all sorts of interesting crap into his veins.

As ever, posters completely miss the point and take the pronouncement and law at face value.

This is just yet another very strict law on the statute books that will be patchily enforced at best.

The goal is to give those in power the tools to direct profits from the sale of alcohol to their faction whilst appeasing some camps within their own supporters and simultaneously appearing both moral and conservative.

I really don't know why I bother contributing to this forum any more. So many posters just projecting their farangland experiences onto a very, very differently run country.

As ever, posters completely miss the point and take the pronouncement and law at face value.

This is just yet another very strict law on the statute books that will be patchily enforced at best.

The goal is to give those in power the tools to direct profits from the sale of alcohol to their faction whilst appeasing some camps within their own supporters and simultaneously appearing both moral and conservative.

I really don't know why I bother contributing to this forum any more. So many posters just projecting their farangland experiences onto a very, very differently run country.

You are saying corruption will make it right.... clap2.gif

Nobody is dumb enough to think this law will be strictly enforced, but as it will be on a case by case basis it's just another excuse for anyone in a brown or green uniform to extort business.

Enforced or not it is an utterly ridiculous use of article 44.

Edited by firestar

There is truth in what you say.

But don't you think that there could very well be massively negative effects on this in terms of tourists and night-life?

Whilst the Thais dislike foreigners as a rule, the foreigner does contribute a massive amount to the economy.

Bangkok used to be a fun place 15-20 years ago.

It's hardly recognizable for what it once was. I understand that a country goes through changes, but I can't help thinking there is more sinister plan at work here.

It could very well be that those in control really want to weed out the type of foreigner who visits the more nefarious night spots and to get those shut down totally.

It wouldn't surprise me.

If they are so up in arms at the moment about "morality and young people etc, then doesn't it stand to reason that the trashy night-life is next on the list?

I mean - you can't bend the rules for some and not for others.

How many teenagers are in RCA?? Thousands. Under age too.

...don't speak too soon....

...have you forgotten the lessons from prohibition....

Ah prohibition. I am in Australia now and watched a documentary on TV tonight about Al Capone. As the narrator said if prohibition had not been implemented in the US nobody would have heard of Capone. Prohibition made fortunes for the Mafia, police and politicians.

I find yhe Government childlike but at sometimes mature in their everyday life and so is Govt regs. yes all look at pattaya Soi cowboy and Bangla and no doubt other areas that are geared for sex. This law restricts not only a student that sensibly wants a drink to those who want to get blotto, so a blanket ban. o it restricts the choice of a peson. But at what cost.... the hard working bar owners and staff of the bars they close. About time the Government grew up and instead of restricting the people actually listined to them.

If they don't want alcohol being sold near schools and unis then fair enough but if you are going to make this law then u need give businesses fair warning and where possible time to relocate etc.

It's unreasonable and unfair to suddenly declare a law of this kind on a Thursday and then start arresting people for breaking the law just a day later.

Why not give a 3 or 6 month grace period for business owners to make the necessary changes in order to comply with the law then get tough on people for anyone in breach of the new requirements thereafter?

You are absolutely right my friend. But with dorks making decisions, you get dorkish decisions. Utter stupidly reigns at times here. It's really sad when you think about it.

Ok who knows who existed first. there are some areas that will close like major shops like restaurants in Siam Paragon or CentralWorld Hard Rock Cafe or Khao San Road

No they won't. The likely ramifications of this new "law" have been blown way out of proportion. Bars like the ones in the first post in this thread are the ones being targeted, not expat/tourist bars.

Perhaps this most ill thought out piece of legislation will last a week before being clarified.

I know Thais are lazy but does the government really think, sorry, I mean imagine, that young fit students will not travel more than 300m if they want alcohol?

*** I say 'imagine' because Thais are not taught to think so they must 'imagine' everything. And they must actually be quite good at this for the whole country to continue functioning as it does..........blink.png

Yes I am not against this new law in principle at all BUT yes it should have been announced now for a more reasonable enforcement in say 6 months time to be fair to the businesses that are affected unfairly by this immediate enforcement. Surely though we have laws that forbid the sale of alcohol to those under legal alcohol drinking age (18 I believe here)and also laws to arrest those drunk and disorderly in public areas, so better would have been to strongly enforce those existing laws particularity in these areas close to educational establishments, rather than this strange within 300 Metre radius rule.

These laws that control freedoms are not what is actually needed but instead a strong enforcement of solid existing laws that protect the freedom of others. That IMHO is what is truly and sensibly needed. The less unnecessary controls and the more the firm enforcement of sensible socially acceptable laws the better it will surely be for all surely.

This sort of law of control should work both ways too of course to be fair, so you have to also say no new schools or colleges should be allowed to be built within 300 Metres of businesses that are already in existence that are licenced to sell alcohol, or at least not without suitable mutually agreed compensation paid out to such licensed premises to move elsewhere.

I strongly believe in fairness

Two things: As Bill Gates said once in closing remarks addressing a high school graduation "Life isn't fair, get used to it". And double that effect in Thailand.

I have a cunning plot.......

My friends, misguidedly, bought a house in a mu baan on the darkside of Pattaya. Across the road at the back is a shack which sells alcohol and makes noise into the wee small hours, not to mention burning crap to keep the mosquitoes away ( and give them emphysema), and not a thing they can do about it.

But if they give English ( or massage, or engineering, or beekeeping) lessons, they become an educational institution! So They can have the shebeen closed down!

Clever, huh?

If they don't want alcohol being sold near schools and unis then fair enough but if you are going to make this law then u need give businesses fair warning and where possible time to relocate etc.

It's unreasonable and unfair to suddenly declare a law of this kind on a Thursday and then start arresting people for breaking the law just a day later.

Why not give a 3 or 6 month grace period for business owners to make the necessary changes in order to comply with the law then get tough on people for anyone in breach of the new requirements thereafter?

You are absolutely right my friend. But with dorks making decisions, you get dorkish decisions. Utter stupidly reigns at times here. It's really sad when you think about it.

yep sounds good in practice but what about the ownwers and staff.....301 metres is fine but 200 not bullshit law. too immature.

In that case it would follow you think dorks have been making decisions here the last 10 years (at least) and if I were to include Minister of Interior Purachai maybe even 14 years.

In that case it would follow you think dorks have been making decisions here the last 10 years (at least) and if I were to include Minister of Interior Purachai maybe even 14 years.

Cannot disagree with your logic. What's happened to this country?

I think there is a big difference between telling businesses they have to stop selling at midnight and telling businesses they have to close.

Click on the link and read a bit more.

I read the entire OP. I'm not going to read all 11 pages of posted comments. The pertinent parts were in the first few lines:

"All stores as well as venues serving drinks across the country have to stop selling alcohol at midnight, instead of 2am, effective as of yesterday, the Excise Department said.

The two daily periods when alcohol for personal consumption can be sold are 11am-2pm and 5pm-midnight, director-general Utid Tamwatin said. These hours do not apply to transactions in wholesale quantities.

The sale of liquor would also be banned starting next year at specified places including mini-marts at 10,000 gas stations nationwide, stores in school campuses and places of religious worship, he said.

The restrictions would go into effect on January 1 and stores in the listed locations would lose their licences when they expire on December 31."

Closing times at midnight. Alcohol sales in stores from 11 am to 2 pm and 5 pm to midnight. Liquor sales banned at gas stations, on school campuses, and places of religious worship, but these businesses were notified in November 2005 that they'd have to stop selling on January 1 2007, so they had time to prepare. The rest of your link dealt with cigarette placement and promotion in stores.

I don't agree with the nationwide midnight closing or restrictions on times of store sales, but the rest makes sense to me. I still maintain that Prayut's order is far worse. The 2005 restrictions were a nuisance for businesses, the 2015 order is a disaster.

"The restrictions would go into effect on January 1 and stores in the listed locations would lose their licences when they expire on December 31."

When restrictions go into effect on the 1st of January it doesn't really matter if the license to sell alcohol is lost on December 31 the day before or on December 31 at the end of the same year as that January 1 is in.

Anyway, very obviously the current government's order is worst since it not from a democratic government like the one which started all this in 2005, but by a junta appointed government. Never mind the government in 2012 came with

"The government has announced a ban on alcohol consumption on public buses.

The ban, issued under the 2008 Alcohol Consumption Control, went into effect yesterday. The order was signed by Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra on July 23."

and

"The sale of alcohol in public places will be restricted under a Health Ministry draft regulation. Likely to take effect on Jan 1, 2013, it prohibits the sale of alcoholic drinks on footpaths, in public parks, and in public areas nationwide."

All nice, acceptable because a democratic elected government involved.

BTW "For proof, just ask any "thirsty" teen whether he would be put off by having to travel an extra few hundred metres for a drink."

PS a ban issuied under 2008 Alcohol Consumption Control would that 2008 have a PM Samak or a PM Somchai government.

You are desperately reaching with this one rubl. Stores that sold alcohol in gas stations, school campuses and places of religious worship had to stop selling alcohol on January 1 2007. That's reasonable.

In 2008 alcohol consumption on public buses was banned. My uncle used to drive a bus and had to deal with drunk passengers, it wasn't pleasant. This ban is also reasonable.

In 2013 restrictions supposedly went into effect banning alcohol consumption in public places. Either public places are narrowly defined or it isn't being enforced.

"Anyway, very obviously the current government's order is worst since it not from a democratic government like the one which started all this in 2005, but by a junta appointed government."

Granted, the fact that this rule is being forced on the country by Prayut and his Article 44-ship is bad, but it is obviously worse because it is turning thousands of legal businesses into illegal businesses without recourse. Did any businesses close because they couldn't sale alcohol to drivers at gas stations or students on campuses? How many people lost their jobs because they couldn't drink in a bus or on a footpath?

This order, if strictly enforced, will close thousands of businesses, put countless people out of work, and devastate the tourist industry. But it's unlikely to be strictly enforced, it will just be used by the police and government officials to shakedown businesses for more bribes. Nice reform work, isn't it?

This is great news! Now perhaps the drunken louts will return to taking their holidays in Spain, and the alcoholic old perverts will have to eek out their pensions in Wetherspoons!

As an alcoholic old pervert, what is "Wetherspoons." Should I be going there?

Yes, Wetherspoons are low cost pubs normally found in UK high streets - near to where pensioners or those on social security collect their money each week. I think there also some in Spain now.

This is great news! Now perhaps the drunken louts will return to taking their holidays in Spain, and the alcoholic old perverts will have to eek out their pensions in Wetherspoons!

Who are these drunken students you are rambling about and why should Thai students go to Spain and Wetherspoons (wherever that is)??? Are there large Thai colonies there?

It's a cultural thing - never mind.

Does it seem likely that 1/67 of the country are employed in positions dependant on alcohol sales within 300mtrs of schools?

It is not inconceivable. I live deep inside Lad Prao 87, and it is probably pretty much the same as thousands of other sois in Bangkok.

If I were to walk past 67 shopfronts (at 4 meters each, is almost 300M) on this soi, I would pass at least ten businesses that are involved in selling alcohol in one form or another. Seven Eleven, Family Mart, Tesco Lotus Express, several mom and pop shops, restaurants and noodle shops, even a couple of Thai Karaoke bars.

The Karaoke bars are probably the only ones who are outright "dependent" on alcohol sales, abut all of the rest would be affected if they were within the proximity of a school.

Who are these drunken students you are rambling about and why should Thai students go to Spain and Wetherspoons (wherever that is)??? Are there large Thai colonies there?

It's a cultural thing - never mind.

Ok guys enough is enough. bar owners and workers are going to lose money as the 300 metre rule is inplace. government here in thailand is immature and it will stay for sometime. its a stupid law as alcohol os legal but in thailand prostitution and being drunk on street is not-lets face it how many times have you seen the latter take place 55. not to mention child sex and what the govt isworriered about is the students that might get shitfaced give me a break. children exploited, and sex trafficing and sex againstsomeones will and poverty are here they need to be looking at....remember they lock up students that speak out against the govt. maybe thats why they put in this law as a warning to other students.