2 Bars Closed Down Under Junta's Sweeping Booze Ban

Lite Beer

This is great news! Now perhaps the drunken louts will return to taking their holidays in Spain, and the alcoholic old perverts will have to eek out their pensions in Wetherspoons!

Who are these drunken students you are rambling about and why should Thai students go to Spain and Wetherspoons (wherever that is)??? Are there large Thai colonies there?

It's a cultural thing - never mind.

Ok guys enough is enough. bar owners and workers are going to lose money as the 300 metre rule is inplace. government here in thailand is immature and it will stay for sometime. its a stupid law as alcohol os legal but in thailand prostitution and being drunk on street is not-lets face it how many times have you seen the latter take place 55. not to mention child sex and what the govt isworriered about is the students that might get shitfaced give me a break. children exploited, and sex trafficing and sex againstsomeones will and poverty are here they need to be looking at....remember they lock up students that speak out against the govt. maybe thats why they put in this law as a warning to other students.

oh condobrit001 its witherspoons and I am 62 and its just a bar

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they don't want alcohol being sold near schools and unis then fair enough but if you are going to make this law then u need give businesses fair warning and where possible time to relocate etc.

It's unreasonable and unfair to suddenly declare a law of this kind on a Thursday and then start arresting people for breaking the law just a day later.

Why not give a 3 or 6 month grace period for business owners to make the necessary changes in order to comply with the law then get tough on people for anyone in breach of the new requirements thereafter?

Yo .. Get in a car and visit the place, any place what they call "a bar". Don't compare your idea of a bar like the bars mentioned. They sure dont need 3 or 6 months to adjust there changes. They can change that in 3 hours!

What is happening in Thailand? Words are being turned into actions.

As much as I feel this is the wrong approach and that education to change attitudes towards drinking is the way to go this is certainly impressive.

Police officers transferred to inactive posts and bars actually being closed down.

Give it 6 months and we will see if the drive towards this policy continues.

That planet you live in on your lonesome Jamie, what's it like?

Do you have even the slightest grasp how much damage this will do to the already struggling tourist industry (swarms of Chinese tourists do not make up for the damage to Thailand from the loss of high end tourists) and an imploding economy. I guess not.

The transfer of bad officers to "inactive posts" is widely regarded as a national joke. It's rewarding crooks - then, you seem to be an uncritical flagwaver for any nefarious and dodgy behaviour as long as it's actioned by the junta.

I believe this is a photograph from one of their meetings.

post-46941-0-09124500-1437925891_thumb.j

I don't believe that anyone can seriously believe the garbage that is posted in respect to the justification of ill thought out statements or actions. It is intended to wind people up. Nor would anyone who understands Thailand's corruption ever say that the transfer of police to inactive posts is an effective anti corruption policy.

The one unifying belief that foreigners hold is that corruption must be stopped. Only those who are involved in corrupt activities or who have a vested interested in the ongoing corruption would argue in favour of the current smoke and mirrors response, or would advocate a return to the laissez faire response of the Yingluck and Abhisit governments. As long as the military is not accountable to the people and is allowed to operate as a state within a state, corruption will continue.

Looks like a typical place for the Thai youngsters. I wonder how many such places are allowed and licensed in Western countries. If I remember correctly some still consider 21 the legal age before alcohol consumption is allowed.

Yes, the USA I think. Or at least parts of it.

All of it.

if you know not of what you speak , it is best to say nothing at all . colorado for one has 3.2 beer at 18 years of age . 3.2 not to be confused with near beer , will still get you fall down drunk .

If they don't want alcohol being sold near schools and unis then fair enough but if you are going to make this law then u need give businesses fair warning and where possible time to relocate etc.

It's unreasonable and unfair to suddenly declare a law of this kind on a Thursday and then start arresting people for breaking the law just a day later.

Why not give a 3 or 6 month grace period for business owners to make the necessary changes in order to comply with the law then get tough on people for anyone in breach of the new requirements thereafter?

Yo .. Get in a car and visit the place, any place what they call "a bar". Don't compare your idea of a bar like the bars mentioned. They sure dont need 3 or 6 months to adjust there changes. They can change that in 3 hours!

pinkpanther99 the bars have been there for over 10 years. a farang once said they can legislate to kick us Farangs out as the army has the power. comeon the millitary are condemmed over the world as they can stop people dpoing anything lawful and have stopped 155 people from international trabel so they have absolute power like an army does. its bullshit as they have"attitude adjustmen sesions with people" true its absolute bullshhit but a recent case of terrorist has resulted in 1 arrestedb but the two swim away and escaped and they brought in navy divers to find m15 riddled bodies. no witnesses just like the Koh Tao murders....

pinkpanther99 the bars have been there for over 10 years. a farang once said they can legislate to kick us Farangs out as the army has the power. comeon the millitary are condemmed over the world as they can stop people dpoing anything lawful and have stopped 155 people from international trabel so they have absolute power like an army does. its bullshit as they have"attitude adjustmen sesions with people" true its absolute bullshhit but a recent case of terrorist has resulted in 1 arrestedb but the two swim away and escaped and they brought in navy divers to find m15 riddled bodies. no witnesses just like the Koh Tao murders....

ok the legal age to root is 15 the legal age todrink is 20 but yoyu cannot drink on streets or 300 metres from ed so immature and stupid. the 2-5pm rule is stupid too as its supposed too stop the school kids buying alcohol

This is great news! Now perhaps the drunken louts will return to taking their holidays in Spain, and the alcoholic old perverts will have to eek out their pensions in Wetherspoons!

As an alcoholic old pervert, what is "Wetherspoons." Should I be going there?

Yes, Wetherspoons are low cost pubs normally found in UK high streets - near to where pensioners or those on social security collect their money each week. I think there also some in Spain now.

More than just a bar! They have parking for your mobility scooter, a rack for your crutches and ramps for your wheelchair! You can't find this level of service in Bangkok.

Yes, Wetherspoons are low cost pubs normally found in UK high streets - near to where pensioners or those on social security collect their money each week. I think there also some in Spain now.

Like the Knights Templar next to the Law Courts where the pensioner judges and QC's hang out you mean?

post-7438-0-97310700-1437929397_thumb.jp

Looks like a typical place for the Thai youngsters. I wonder how many such places are allowed and licensed in Western countries. If I remember correctly some still consider 21 the legal age before alcohol consumption is allowed.

All of it.

I thought each state mandated drinking age. Hawaii used to be 18.

All of it.

I thought each state mandated drinking age. Hawaii used to be 18.

Yes, each state sets the drinking age. But to get federal highway funds they had to have the drinking age raised to 21 (Thanks to MADD). Which now all states do. Hawaii has been 21 since 1985 or 86.

Like the Knights Templar next to the Law Courts where the pensioner judges and QC's hang out you mean?

YES! You have got it - they all go to Wetherspoons to distribute their stipends - and whatever else they need to share with the poor people of London, who will soon be strengthened by those poor souls returning from Thailand in need of a drink.

As ever, posters completely miss the point and take the pronouncement and law at face value.

This is just yet another very strict law on the statute books that will be patchily enforced at best.

The goal is to give those in power the tools to direct profits from the sale of alcohol to their faction whilst appeasing some camps within their own supporters and simultaneously appearing both moral and conservative.

I really don't know why I bother contributing to this forum any more. So many posters just projecting their farangland experiences onto a very, very differently run country.

You are saying corruption will make it right.... clap2.gif

Nobody is dumb enough to think this law will be strictly enforced, but as it will be on a case by case basis it's just another excuse for anyone in a brown or green uniform to extort business.

Enforced or not it is an utterly ridiculous use of article 44.

I think you're beginning to understand what Briggsy was pointing out: this is a "very, very differently run country".

King Mongkut University is right next to Kho San Road, so say goodbye back packers. Lot's of people will be upset about that one...

No drinking in Khao San Road? Well that'll give a lift to the tourist industry. NOT. What idiots are running this country? Phnom Penh look forward to an enormous increase in tourism!!!!

Heres to the abuse of article 44 and all the idiots who believed the clowns would only use it for extreme necessity and measures...

Didnt take long did it ? gigglem.gif

Keep your toys in the pram Oak, and see what happens, I can offer discount cards for Wetherspoons if you like?

Remember when the Beer Girls and beer advertising were banned? So you didn't see this law coming?

Yes, and overall, what effect have those prior supposed rules had?

At least in Bangkok, AFAICS, none.

Not in Chiang Mai, Lamphun and Lampang either apart from maybe 1 week at the most when it was first implemented. Big C Lamphun though beer girls had there own clothes on for as long as I was there last maybe 6 months after. Don't know now as not been back since. Didn't I might say effect people drinking at at 2 pm you got your beer disguised in cups and served as draught

King Mongkut University is right next to Kho San Road, so say goodbye back packers. Lot's of people will be upset about that one...

No drinking in Khao San Road? Well that'll give a lift to the tourist industry. NOT. What idiots are running this country? Phnom Penh look forward to an enormous increase in tourism!!!!

Another plan well considered and researched with all problems real and potential identified and catered for ! biggrin.png

Bet no one even considered the effect on tourism, not that it will affect TAT's fantasy figures and announcements.

Heres to the abuse of article 44 and all the idiots who believed the clowns would only use it for extreme necessity and measures...

Didnt take long did it ? gigglem.gif

Keep your toys in the pram Oak, and see what happens, I can offer discount cards for Wetherspoons if you like?

Dosn't bother or affect me at all, enjoy article 44, we'll be seeing a lot more of it im sure.

Another plan well considered and researched with all problems real and potential identified and catered for ! biggrin.png

Bet no one even considered the effect on tourism, not that it will affect TAT's fantasy figures and announcements.

Thailand will now be promoted as a family destination and tourist arrivals will increase by 32.78%..........just you wait and see wink.png

Most ppl come to Thailand for the bars and the girls. Shut these down, then most would question if there is a reason to visit or stay in the country ?

Planet Zog. The world according to a Pattaya bar-stool.

Thailand will now be promoted as a family destination and tourist arrivals will increase by 32.78%..........just you wait and see wink.png

Only 32.78% ? Oh I see that's just for the first month of the promotion !