What Is Your Footwear.

Flip flops most of the time. A pair of North Face or Adidas trainers the rest of the time. The mesh type that allow plenty of ventilation. No problems with sweaty feet. If I am going in the river I wear a pair of Merrel sandles as the flip flops fall off to easily.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I used to wear sandals, the 2-300 baht ones. However a bout of staph infection on one foot and few rounds with some fungus that love me too much (I live in Jomtien Beach... liked walking it couple times a day, but with crap pulling now with "upgrade".....), I switched to closed Merrel sandal/shoes or Reeboks. Important thing with trainers etc is hold them up to the light and see how much they might breathe some air thru there. Have some Addidas Clima cool trainers, but they don't have much support.

For the first year or so in Thailand I wore cheap thongs, flip flops, jandals - call them what you like - and then I started to get foot problems. Aches in my instep and in my soles. I bought some "Scholl" flip flops, and what a difference. Sure they cost more but any other form of orthodic footwear is usually enclosed and bloody hot. And the Scholls last a lot longer than the cheap stuff. I think they are money well spent. Just saying.

Arch support is critical to general overall health, regardless of age.

I used to wear those CROCS or at least the knock off versions of them . They are undoubtedly the ugliest footwear on the planet but so easy to get on and off when visiting the temples and other holy places. They are ,however, guaranteed to give heart-stopping moment of excitment and fear when the sole gets smooth and you enter a public toilet with a wet floor as you ice skate your way across the place hoping you don't end up in the urinal again and the back of your head on the tiles.

I now wear a pair of saconny runners with all cotton socks .

When the sole gets smooth, it's time to get new ones, especially the knock-offs.

I used to wear those CROCS or at least the knock off versions of them . They are undoubtedly the ugliest footwear on the planet but so easy to get on and off when visiting the temples and other holy places. They are ,however, guaranteed to give heart-stopping moment of excitment and fear when the sole gets smooth and you enter a public toilet with a wet floor as you ice skate your way across the place hoping you don't end up in the urinal again and the back of your head on the tiles.

When the sole gets smooth, it's time to get new ones, especially the knock-offs.

I don't go anywhere where I am required to take off the shoes and walk barefoot. Barefoot walking is for monkeys. I have passed that stage. I notice that all of the hi-so politicians wear shoes, too. They don't go barefoot.

I wear a variety of footwear, depending on situation, weather, or just what I feel like wearing that day.

Do so many of you really only own one pair of shoes?

I don't have any pairs of shoes, I only ever used them when I was working as a school teacher.

Sannies and trainers will do me.

Shoes guys, shoes. The lets impress the other 8th graders by beating up ladyboys is on Thursdays.

Are you sure? I thought Thursdays were 'Bash a Brit'....my apologies, thats every day....lol

Back on topic...<deleted> i can't remember what it was about now.

My Dr. Scholl flip flops.

Only the best will do.

Yeap got the same, normal flops mess your feet up eventually

Ditto,

Scholl, so good for your feet - ensuring you walk correctly with their ergonomic design they are like my best ones (so good I am looking for another pair to wear as night time going out ones) daytime, beach/pool just bog standard flip flops or Thongs for our antipadean brothers/sisters (best pair I ever had was the Oneil type with the bottle openers on each sole (very handy) bit pricey though (from Sydney airport)

Depends how much walking I expect to do. Daily wear a kind of sandals with no straps. Slippers? If I'm expecting to do a lot of walking, like going to Big C I have sandals with straps. I wear them when walking for exercise, too. When going to BKK I have a pair of leather loafers, but the soles and heels are too thick and soft; I don't really like them. Bought them at Central Lad Prao in BKK because that's where my old Reeboks fell apart. Should put in some time looking for a better pair, but it's probably better to just wear the sandals with socks. Don't know about the knee-length socks, though. Have to think about that.

I’ve lived continuously on the rim of greater Bangkok for nine years, and I haven’t worn proper shoes (or socks) in eight years. It’s just too hot.

I wear sports sandals – the more robust the better – wherever and whenever I’m out and about, and I wear flip-flops of various kinds around the home. I have had life-long problems with fitting footwear; and I have a nasty decades-old heel-spur injury that prevents me from walking barefoot for too long on hard surfaces, thus I wear flip-flops in the house.

I go through one or two pair of sports sandals each year, because I do a lot of forced marches on the pavements in my neighborhood in this hellish heat. (Am I nuts? Probably.) Our home has no air-conditioning, so footwear never really dries out and seems to disintegrate early. I eventually realized that I was always breaking in a new pair of sports sandals during our Hot Season, and that this is pretty stupid as far as comfort; so now I’m looking ahead and purchasing new ones earlier to break in during the Cool Season. (“Breaking in”, for me, means getting my bare feet used to the new stiff straps, as well as softening up the sandals.)

I buy premium sports sandals for greater comfort and durability. Good arch support is a must. For the amount of walking I do, the prices are worth it. I’m having great luck especially with North Face models, as well as Columbia, Reebok, Merrell, and some others. One must shop carefully. I’m also paying more attention to the soles of the sandals, in particular the amount of good traction on wet surfaces.

(I had an extremely comfortable pair of Merrells that I really loved – until I hit wet pavement and slipped about as if I were on ice. The sole pattern and the too-rigid hard rubber inserts on the sole reduced the grip. They have been demoted to dry-pavement-only status as well as home treadmill duty.)

For in-the-house flip-flops, the best pair I ever had is a Teva model, still serving well after many, many years. Thai stairways are different, made for smaller feet than that of the typical farang; the stairs tend to be steep with very short depth of horizontal surface for each step. When I walk down the stairs, only my heel and the rear half of my foot makes contact; so the ball of my foot (my center of balance) never makes solid contact, and I used to take bad slips and tumbles with either bare feet or cheap rigid flip-flops. These Tevas, besides being tough, have a very soft flexible sole, and they grip the outer edge of the steps whereas stiffer soles cannot. Don’t know what I’d do without them.

My favorite pair of ice climbing boots – all-leather, non-insulated Galibier Super Guides – I left back in the States. The ice climbing in Thailand sucks.

Crocs... cheesy.gifcheesy.gif ugliest footwear ever designed. Having said that many wear and seem to find them comfortable. Tried em on once but I have a big (size 12) foot it looked like I had a couple of pontoons on my feet. So flip flops round the house, by the pool, down the beach, everywhere else enclosed shoes, generally trainers Nike, Adidas whatever

I don't go anywhere where I am required to take off the shoes and walk barefoot. Barefoot walking is for monkeys. I have passed that stage. I notice that all of the hi-so politicians wear shoes, too. They don't go barefoot.

If you don't take-off your shoes, you would not be welcome in my house. It is a cultural norm for most of Asia and for other countries in tropical climates and to refuse to comply is a societal faux pas. However, there is also logic involved. The soles of your shoes come in contact with all the filth on the streets. If you want to track all that into your house, by all means do it. You can even put your shoes on your furniture and your beds, and share the filth that way too. I don't care what you do in your house, but don't do it in mine.

A friend of mine told me about the invention of Crocs a few years ago and since then I never looked back.

I have a collection of them now. I even wear them in the malls, banks, shops , if I have to wear long pants one day , still crocs......