Strange baht bus ride

soistalker

I got on a baht bus in Jomtien in the afternoon. I was alone and no one was in the baht bus. I didn't talk to the driver; I just got on. The route invariably goes straight on Thepraya to second road. This guy all of a sudden speeds up and takes a turn going towards Pratumnak Hill (I think that is the turnoff, right opposite to where Cabbages and Condoms restaurant/hotel used to be. The first stop light after Teppreset). I ring the bell. He continues speeding towards the hill. I ring it again and again, but he will not stop. I wasn't panicking, but I began yelling very loudly. He stopped the bus, and I quickly got off and started a quick jog back towards Thepraya. He just drove away.

Any ideas on what he could have been up to?

As far as I know, vehicles can not go straight on from Thapprya road onto Second road. This was made "no entry" some time ago. So the driver was probably turning left so as to get onto Second road from the next junction.

No. I know what you are referring to, and this was at least 500 meters before that.

As far as I know, vehicles can not go straight on from Thapprya road onto Second road. This was made "no entry" some time ago. So the driver was probably turning left so as to get onto Second road from the next junction.

No. I know what you are referring to, and this was at least 500 meters before that.

Bottom of the hill you cannot go straight across to proceed to 2nd road you have to make a left and then a right to come in via the back of walking street...............bat bus driver might of turned left at lights opposite cabbages and condoms if the light was on red intending to come down the other side of the hill onto the back of walking street.....................

The first set of traffic lights after Theprasit going up Thappraya is the left turning that leads to Pratumnak. I imagine that's the one the driver took.

It's possible that the driver was just intending to drive over Pratumnak and down the other side to 2nd Rd. I go that way often as I like the view. It's quite often happened to me that baht-bus drivers leave the regular route and return to it a little later, for no obvious reason.

However it's also possible that the driver was on drugs, mad, going somewhere else or was indeed trying to take the OP somewhere from where it would cost him a lot of money to return.

Edited by KittenKong

Occasionally, that happens.

Sometimes it's because a group has chartered the bus and the driver is taking a detour but will end up in South Pattaya anyay,

Sometimes they just do it for who knows why. Often they can pick up new passengers on the way.

I have never had that happen when I was the only one on the bus, but it happens often often enough (still not often) that I've learned NOT to get off when they do that as I'm pretty confident they will loop back to South Pattaya.

I assume the driver's reluctance to let you off was because he knew you didn't understand it was just a different route and fairly assumed you probably did want to end up in South Pattaya.

Of course if your stop was on the hill between the turnoff and South Pattaya ... that would be different.

Edited by Jingthing

They often take that route as there are many condos and hotels over that way that house a lot of tourists that want to get to town. The driver (if empty or nearly empty) has more chance of getting customers going over Phratamnak than he does going the 500 mtrs down Thappraya.

It may have been his intention to go that way anyway and you were just unlucky that you didn't recognise the alternative way to Pattaya 2nd Road.

It happens a lot more in high season.

Hasn't happened to me at all for many months now.

Another thing that happens fairly often in high season is turning right at 3rd road and then going back towards second entering Pattaya Tai at about Tukcom.

If that happens to you, you might want to enjoy the ride, they do it to avoid the traffic jam going the usual way, but when it does happen it is likely they will kick you off at Pattaya Tai and 2nd, meaning a second bus will be needed if you wanted to go further north.

Edited by Jingthing

May be off-topic, but also somehow strange. Last Saturday night, about 3am i took a Baht Taxi from Soi Bukhao. I wanted go back to Jomtien. There were 3 women and me in the Bus. At the end of Soi Bukhao the driver turned right and then stopped just before the junction Tai and second road. The driver stepped out of his car, told us something in Thai and everyone left the taxi. Nobody paid the 10 Baht. I have no idea why. Then i walked a few meters to Trappaya Rd. and picked up there another taxi...

May be off-topic, but also somehow strange. Last Saturday night, about 3am i took a Baht Taxi from Soi Bukhao. I wanted go back to Jomtien. There were 3 women and me in the Bus. At the end of Soi Bukhao the driver turned right and then stopped just before the junction Tai and second road. The driver stepped out of his car, told us something in Thai and everyone left the taxi. Nobody paid the 10 Baht. I have no idea why. Then i walked a few meters to Trappaya Rd. and picked up there another taxi...

Maybe he wanted to take a pee without you watching ?

A few years ago i was in a same but different situation where i was in beach road and i wanted to get back home to the darkside. I saw a baht bus and we negotiated a price which was fair . I knew the driver by sight as well as he lived close to us so i hoped into the front seat and we took off. We were laughing and joking in our mixture of Thai and English . He was a crazy guy with a good sense of humour. At a set of traffic lights and this guy and wife and kids hop onto the back without asking where we were going. I tried to tell him we were going over to the darkside but he wouldn't listen . It wasn't a language problem as his threats were in gutter english. So the driver proceeded to go to the darkside and this bloke goes berserk bashing the cabin of the baht bus , calling me a c__n _ and other names . I am trying to tell him i have hired the vehicle and he was hijacking my ride but he was frothing and spitting and not listening demanding he be taken to his hotel. Eventually just before Sukhumvit road he hops off with his family stilll screaming at me and the driver . What a fuss if he had only listened that the bus was already hired.

You are the only passenger so he feels he is losing money.

Likely he speeded up to make the lights and decided Pratumnak offered better opportunities than Thrappaya.

Likely a bit spaced out too!

Its not uncommon for the baht bus drivers to take passengers to a secluded area and rob them.

Was he on the phone while he was driving like a lunatic? Possibly arranging with his friends to meet somewhere and have you mugged.

Maybe his friends didnt answer the phone so he just stopped and let you off. Or are you of the strong built type? Then he may have thought you might of fought back so decided to abort the plan of robbing you.

Remember these ass holes dont fight 1 on 1. They need to have a bunch of them to take on a fight.

Its not uncommon for the baht bus drivers to take passengers to a secluded area and rob them.

Was he on the phone while he was driving like a lunatic? Possibly arranging with his friends to meet somewhere and have you mugged.

Maybe his friends didnt answer the phone so he just stopped and let you off. Or are you of the strong built type? Then he may have thought you might of fought back so decided to abort the plan of robbing you.

Remember these ass holes dont fight 1 on 1. They need to have a bunch of them to take on a fight.

"Its not uncommon for the baht bus drivers to take passengers to a secluded area and rob them."

Ridiculous.

Secluded area in the middle of the afternoon? You really think a baht bus driver is going to plan a crime out, when his name and bus number are clearly displayed. Add in the fact that anytime they stop it is likely that people will try and get on. Seriously, I don't know where some of you guys get your information. The Thais are not known for planning out thier crimes, and If they were I would hope they could come up with a better one than what you suggest.

The same thing happened to me but late at night, .... I was in Pattaya and got on a baht bus to go back to Jomtien. There were 4 other people on board, so I thought it would be safe. They all got off just before the turn on to Thapraya, but I stayed on, ..mistake!!

The guy drove straight ahead on Second Road and would not stop until we were next to the go-cart place, ...big fence, no one around. I started walking back to Thepraya when 2 Thai guys about 20 years old, high on Yaba tried to rob me.

One had a weird looking homemade gun and the other a kitchen knife. They made the mistake of looking at each other. I kicked one in the nuts and punched the other in the nose, then ran like hell, (I was 66 years old then)

Never get on an empty baht bus!

Secluded area in the middle of the afternoon? You really think a baht bus driver is going to plan a crime out, when his name and bus number are clearly displayed. Add in the fact that anytime they stop it is likely that people will try and get on. Seriously, I don't know where some of you guys get your information. The Thais are not known for planning out thier crimes, and If they were I would hope they could come up with a better one than what you suggest.

Obviously you never read the post on here a few years ago about a guy that got taken off route, and he had to jump off the back of the bus to get away.
A friend of mine has also been taken off route by a motorbike taxi and been threatened to give up his cash and mobile phone.

"It's not uncommon" equates to a few YEARS ago a guy got taken off route and jumped off the bus. If he jumped off before he was robbed, then how did he know it was going to happen?

And your friend on a motorbike taxi has nothing to do with a baht bus doing what you described.

Obviously you never read the post on here a few years ago about a guy that got taken off route, and he had to jump off the back of the bus to get away.
A friend of mine has also been taken off route by a motorbike taxi and been threatened to give up his cash and mobile phone.

You're just being silly. No one says it's never happened. You come up with something that happened years ago, and a story "from a friend" (on a motorbike - not even the baht busses the OP is talking about!), and that makes the whole thing typical and commonplace does it?! People win millions on the lottery, too. That hardly makes it common. Lol. Nice try. No, on second thought, 'actually pretty lame trying to extrapolate some isolated incident into a crime wave...

This was easy to figure out really! "Your" bahtbus was captured and stolen by a thief. This thief have no clue about bells and whistles..... and it took him a while to figure out somebody is onboard!!

So easy.. good you could escape though...

Glegolo

I was on a baht bus last week on Beach Road. When I got to my stop, I rang the buzzer, and the driver did not stop. I kept pushing the buzzer for 3 more blocks, and he kept going. I was sure he could hear me, until I moved my finger on the buzzer a little, and it made a loud noise. The switch on the buzzer had to be pushed just right to work.