PM Prayut says he won't worry about poor US ranking

webfact

PM says he won't worry about poor ranking

28-7-2558-10-24-57-wpcf_728x406.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha said he won't worry about the US keeping Thailand on the lowest ranking as the time it used to assess was the time when his government has just begun to tackle the problem seriously.

He said his government has strictly complied with rules and regulations in fighting human trafficking and expressed hope to see better ranking after its concerted effort has been assessed in next report.

Meanwhile Foreign Minister Gen Tanasak Patimapragon said keeping Thailand on the bottom of the ranking would not have any impact on trade sanctions.

He said the Thai government would continue with its strong determination to fight the problem, not to get better ranking but purely to make thing correctly.

But he also expressed hope that the country was now on the right path to combat human trafficking which would benefit the country in the future no matter it will be kept in the Tier 3 category again.

He congratulated Malaysia to be upgraded on the same problem.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/pm-says-he-wont-worry-about-poor-ranking

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-07-28

I don't care what the U.S. government has to say about anything either.

That's smart - they are only either #1 or #2 in the global economy, a massive trading partner for Thailand, the world's biggest military (who supplies 90% of the Thai military's hardware) and the most powerful country in the world politically - whether you agree with them or not.

Why would you care??

That's smart - they are only either #1 or #2 in the global economy, a massive trading partner for Thailand, the world's biggest military (who supplies 90% of the Thai military's hardware) and the most powerful country in the world politically - whether you agree with them or not.

Why would you care??

Well i guess Russia,China and India have something to say about this.

Is there just one of you who is a drone, or do you multiply by dividing that single cell of yours?

The US is the #1 buyer of Thai fish exports. It has the world's 3rd largest population and the largest economy in the world. The EU is just about as big and it doesn't like this trafficking in humans either.

The people of the USA and also the people of the EU aren't going to buy fish products that are produced with slave labor. They'll boycott the products. End of.

This isn't about face it's about selling fish products caught by slaves in horrible circumstances.

You're just such a sensitive person regarding this slave labor you must be a...

Cheers.

The people of the USA and also the people of the EU aren't going to buy fish products that are produced with slave labor. They'll boycott the products. End of.

You give too much credit to the people of Walmart that just want a can of Chicken-of-the-Sea. Most of them couldn't put Taiwan Thailand on a map.

The report is based on what was done prior to the present governments methods, arrests, discoveries, requirements of vessels,etc in the past few months. This government has done more in their relative short time in office than was done by the groups in power over the past decade.

There will be another assesment, review, report which will include recent action and if the present commitment is continued the tier 3 ranking will be improved and another positive accomplishment will become a matter of official records.

Why would you care??

Well i guess Russia,China and India have something to say about this.

What can they say that makes any difference? And what part of the above I wrote is not true? Perhaps you missed where India is aligning itself with the US in recent years? And India, China and Russia also very much care what the most powerful country in the world has to say – the US is China's biggest trading partner and much of its money is in US $$ - as is Thailand's. The USD remains the world's key currency and its banks and markets remain the planet's key financial institutions. The whole planet cares what the US thinks but our stumbling leader has decided to opt out of that. Smart - not.

What the US thinks here is massively important to Thailand as it impacts the nation's fiscal well being hugely. Thailand's economy is already a basket case mostly as a result of ongoing incompetence and this sort of arrogance. So, yep, who cares what the US and Europe think?

You give too much credit to the people of Walmart that just want a can of Chicken-of-the-Sea. Most of them couldn't put Taiwan Thailand on a map.

It actually has absolutely nothing to do with that.

The report is based on what was done prior to the present governments methods, arrests, discoveries, requirements of vessels,etc in the past few months. This government has done more in their relative short time in office than was done by the groups in power over the past decade.

There will be another assesment, review, report which will include recent action and if the present commitment is continued the tier 3 ranking will be improved and another positive accomplishment will become a matter of official records.

I'd keep a good lookout as their are pink pigs flying around the city at low attitudes at the moment.

Right now we have a Thai government entity suing journalists for reporting this. Yep - things are improving.

The current government did nothing until the discovery and exposure of slave camps and mass graves forced its hand. Then the junta denied there was any evidence of military involvement in people smuggling until Lt-Gen Manas was arrested for being deeply involved.

Now the junta has taken action, but it remains to be seen if the actions amount to anything. The current Thai fishing fleet can't come close to being profitable if it is limited to legal fishing practices--no illegal nets, not poaching in other countries waters, no slave labor. It can either downsize dramatically or try to go back to their bad old ways when the world is no longer watching. My bet is they will try the latter.

Surapong says Thai govt has not done much enough in combating human trafficking
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Former deputy prime minister and foreign minister Surapong Towichakchaikul said Tuesday that the Thai government has not done much and serious enough in combating human trafficking, and thus causing the nation to remain on the bottom of the US annual report.

Surapong said the government only paid a lip service that it would get serious against human trafficking but its measures have failed.

He said Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha should instruct officials concerned to speed up their works or it would be too late.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Surapong-says-Thai-govt-has-not-done-much-enough-i-30265388.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-07-28

Its not the people who will stop buying its the Government who won't allow Thai fish products entry to the country. The people of Walmart that want a can of chicken of the sea will still get it and won't even know where its come from. But it won't be Thailand.

I have a friend who teaches Geography to Thais. It's evident where their heads are at when he gives his students a test where they have to draw a map of the world. Staggering, actually, the number of students who return a map of Thailand and nothing else. They are taught from birth that the universe revolves around Thailand and all other countries matter not.

It's not just up to the end buyer, it's up to the importer and the buyers who buy for the supermarket chains. It is their decisions that will make the difference along with any Government directives.

I have a friend who teaches Geography to Thais. It's evident where their heads are at when he gives his students a test where they have to draw a map of the world. Staggering, actually, the number of students who return a map of Thailand and nothing else. They are taught from birth that the universe revolves around Thailand and all other countries matter not.

This is so true!!! This basically sums up the mentality here: There is NOTHING outside of Thailand and there are NO other people that exist or should matter. Actually they don't really care more that what they see in front of their face.

A lot of the reaction is about "face". With the rise of China and it's proximity to Thailand and most importantly the amount of Thai elite that have Chinese heritage it is quite understandable that Thailand will steer it allegiance in that direction. The USA has not got the same influence that it used to have, especially in Asia, but I totally agree that they are still a major buyer and therefore vital for Thailand's export industry.

Clearly Thailand is shifting it's focus onto the Chinese who are not at all interested in Human rights or environment issues. Expect to see more alliances with it's bigger neighbour rather than kowtowing to the USA or Europe. Completely understandable as Thailand continues to draw criticism from the West.

It is too bad that the Thailand Baht is still too high and it should be lowered to its real value.

I hope that Thailand does clean up its human trafficking problems, and other corruption that still

flourishes in parts of the country.

I still enjoy visiting Thailand and other parts of Asia so I hope I can continue to afford to travel there

in the future. For now though the baht is 26 baht to Canadian dollar, and that is not an honest

amount, but I guess it is in the eye of the Thai government. I will wait until it improves before I go to Thailand

again.

In the USA we cherish our lists. We have lists like this to make the world safer for innocent people.

Meanwhile...ISIS is able to rape and pillage now to within 50 miles from Baghdad. Humm....