Cheeky Carpark Attendant

Sawan Chan 7

In your first post he was the "car park guy"...now he's the "janitor" already?

By Thai standards, your old car is a bit of a clunker. If the school is prestigious, it's probably a parade of Merc's, BMW's and new Hondas...

Show up in a new Vigo with 22" rims, tinted windows and a Carryboy and you'd have his respect.

But seriously, let it go. If you worry about what Thais say to your face (or daughters), just imagine what they are saying behind your back...

He is not the janitor, someone else said IMAGINE a janitor..

You'd be surprised about the cars. I see many older cars than mine at the Polo Club, for example. Rich people are often stingy on cars.

What do you mean - of course I care what Thais say to my face, don't you?

I'm just messing with on the car. Your car is a very cool car. I have a 59 Willy's Jeep...so the car park guy would probably double over laughing at me...

Do I care what Thai's say to my face? Sometimes, and depends on the context and situation. Most times I'll smile it off.

I find comments by Thai's a largely out of envy or jealousy, or feeling inferior for whatever reason. They need to vent and show off or try and safe face sometimes.

In this case I'd keep an eye on the guy, but I'd do nothing until he crossed the line. Then I'd probably confront him personally and see how it played out.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless you can say it in perfect Thai you would come of as being crazy or not quite right in the head. Its your kid and if it bothers you it would be best to have it explaind to the jackass that he isnt to talk to her what so ever.

Better yet tell the Catholic nun who runs the school that the man is a pervert and whispering to your daughter and that if he doesn't stop you will withdraw your daughter from school and seek police help.

The only and best way to get anything done at a private school is through the wallet. Loss of money you pay will move mountains.

Some of you are unduly harsh on the OP, especially when accusing him of caring more about his rep and his car than his daughter.

Imagine being 60 years old back in your home country, picking up your 15 year old daughter from school. The janitor passes by as your child is getting out of the car, he stares you in the eye, and says, "Hey, mate, how old are you?"

You are dumbfounded. While your brain adjusts to such a bizarre, out of place inquiry, he adds, "By the way, you need a new car."

And that's directly communicating with you in English. This bozo funneled the clear messages (I like your little girl, mate, and not in a proper way) through the OP's daughter, involving her directly.

EDIT: spill chek

I've been away from my home country so long it's hard to imagine what t would be like. I agree with you. Also, what would my daughter say if I said nothing to the janitor? In a way this situation is worse because it's obvious that he is doing this just because of my race.

Thanks for the comment, I am still very much undecided as what to do. I probably have the power to get him fired if I want but not sure if it is the right decision.

By Thai standards, your old car is a bit of a clunker. If the school is prestigious, it's probably a parade of Merc's, BMW's and new Hondas...

Show up in a new Vigo with 22" rims, tinted windows and a Carryboy and you'd have his respect.

But seriously, let it go. If you worry about what Thais say to your face (or daughters), just imagine what they are saying behind your back...

And when are you going to stop being a beta?

It's disturbing how many on this forum let thai people jump all around them and treat them like the soi dog.

Edited by Asheron

Some of you are unduly harsh on the OP, especially when accusing him of caring more about his rep and his car than his daughter.

Imagine being 60 years old back in your home country, picking up your 15 year old daughter from school. The janitor passes by as your child is getting out of the car, he stares you in the eye, and says, "Hey, mate, how old are you?"

You are dumbfounded. While your brain adjusts to such a bizarre, out of place inquiry, he adds, "By the way, you need a new car."

And that's directly communicating with you in English. This bozo funneled the clear messages (I like your little girl, mate, and not in a proper way) through the OP's daughter, involving her directly.

EDIT: spill chek

I've been away from my home country so long it's hard to imagine what t would be like. I agree with you. Also, what would my daughter say if I said nothing to the janitor? In a way this situation is worse because it's obvious that he is doing this just because of my race.

Thanks for the comment, I am still very much undecided as what to do. I probably have the power to get him fired if I want but not sure if it is the right decision.

It's disturbing how many on this forum let thai people jump all around them and treat them like the soi dog.

That's pretty funny.

If you think this situation the OP has been jumped all over and treated like a soi dog, then you do not possess the skills to last very long in Thailand.

But you keep telling yourself you the Alpha male and tell us how you would have "sorted it out" big guy.

Ha ha ha ha ha.

The reality is that most Thai raised Thais are for cutting the grass, washing the windows and taking luggage out of our cars.

Leave them at that and don't worry what they say. They are, after all, serving us for peanuts, and we have them cleaning our shoes.\

coffee1.gif

You realise that many on here will believe you are being serious.

The way you treat others- especially those who have not had the advantages that Western countries provide is a true representation of your character.

The OP seems a little obsessed with his superiority, lets face it- he is a bit old, drives a rust bucket ( of course with new fabulous tyres and a cool air con )

Thai conversation is often straight forward and to the point and ask questions that would offend polite Western Society .

That's pretty funny.

If you think this situation the OP has been jumped all over and treated like a soi dog, then you do not possess the skills to last very long in Thailand.

But you keep telling yourself you the Alpha male and tell us how you would have "sorted it out" big guy.

Ha ha ha ha ha.

Just like i treated the corrupt thai cops who thought they had some kind of right to chat with my minor (9 years) old daughter about where we were going and where we came from etc when they stopped me for a made up traffic violation.

I said to them clearly to f- off, not to talk with my daughter and take this 200 baht and put it where sun does not shine. Guess, what.. they stopped talking with my daughter and that was it.

So.. err... "ha ha ha ha".

That's pretty funny.

Ha ha ha ha ha.

Just like i treated the corrupt thai cops who thought they had some kind of right to chat with my minor (9 years) old daughter about where we were going and where we came from etc when they stopped me for a made up traffic violation.

I said to them clearly to f- off, not to talk with my daughter and take this 200 baht and put it where sun does not shine. Guess, what.. they stopped talking with my daughter and that was it.

You are a mug, giving them money for what? How did you say "f-off" in Thai or was it English? Maybe you can't speak Thai so that's why they talked to your daughter?

That's pretty funny.

Ha ha ha ha ha.

That's your best story? Kid, I hate to tell you this, but that story is not worthy. Please try harder.

...you still haven't told us how you would deal with this "carp park guy" that jumped all over the OP and treated him like a soi dog...

The reality is that most Thai raised Thais are for cutting the grass, washing the windows and taking luggage out of our cars.

Leave them at that and don't worry what they say. They are, after all, serving us for peanuts, and we have them cleaning our shoes.\

coffee1.gif

The way you treat others- especially those who have not had the advantages that Western countries provide is a true representation of your character.

The OP seems a little obsessed with his superiority, lets face it- he is a bit old, drives a rust bucket ( of course with new fabulous tyres and a cool air con )

Thai conversation is often straight forward and to the point and ask questions that would offend polite Western Society .

I don't know why you think I'm superior? My vehicle is probably worth 1.2 million baht, what do you drive?

That's pretty funny.

Ha ha ha ha ha.

You are a mug, giving them money for what? How did you say "f-off" in Thai or was it English? Maybe you can't speak Thai so that's why they talked to your daughter?

It was either give 200 baht or walk as the took the keys to the vehicle. And i'm pretty sure that f- off is quite universal language nowadays. It doesn't matter if i know 0 words in thai or fluent, they do not question minors without the permission of the adult.

He would never say stuff like that to the child of a Thai parent, nor would a Thai parent ever tolerate it. He is being deliberetly disrespectful and harrassing your daughter because you are a foreigner. I think your first instinct to go put him in his place is correct

Give him a half eaten plastic bag of sticky rice and cold pork. Just wink and say..."if you work hard here, one day they may give you a good job".

Or say to him..."I appreciate all the concerns you have over the age of my car..and myself"...."Please take this 5 baht as a token of my gratitude for the fine work you are doing in the parking lot"

Edited by slipperylobster

That's pretty funny.

Ha ha ha ha ha.

That's your best story? Kid, I hate to tell you this, but that story is not worthy. Please try harder.

...you still haven't told us how you would deal with this "carp park guy" that jumped all over the OP and treated him like a soi dog...

Well, "kiddo"...

If you can't put one and one together without a calculator then i guess you have been living for too long in Thailand.

That's pretty funny.

Ha ha ha ha ha.

It was either give 200 baht or walk as the took the keys to the vehicle. And i'm pretty sure that f- off is quite universal language nowadays. It doesn't matter if i know 0 words in thai or fluent, they do not question minors without the permission of the adult.

Fair enough, I apologise. But they can't get permission if the adult can't speak Thai.

That's pretty funny.

Ha ha ha ha ha.

Well, "kiddo"...

If you can't put one and one together without a calculator then i guess you have been living for too long in Thailand.

I'm sure you are a great example to your child.

Numpty.

coffee1.gif

I don't know why you think I'm superior? My vehicle is probably worth 1.2 million baht, what do you drive?

Actually I'm a bit of a Mazda fan - so have a Mazda 3 , new Mazda 2 ( present for the bf) and a classic Mk 1 MX5 - the one with pop up headlights - for high days and holidays - it's fun.

He would never say stuff like that to the child of a Thai parent, nor would a Thai parent ever tolerate it. He is being deliberetly disrespectful and harrassing your daughter because you are a foreigner. I think your first instinct to go put him in his place is correct

Give him a half eaten plastic bag of sticky rice and cold pork. Just wink and say..."if you work hard here, one day they may give you a good job".

Or say to him..."I appreciate all the concerns you have over the age of my car..and myself"...."Please take this 5 baht as a token of my gratitude for the fine work you are doing in the parking lot"

I actually really like that idea, except maybe with 1 baht.

I would just like to explain a couple of things to the crowd who is calling for the parking attendant's head on a stick, and who are advocating that he "needs to be taught his place" or suggesting that he may be "grooming" the OP's daughter for a future sexual assault for having the audacity to ask the OP's daughter how old her father was and teasing him about needing to replace his 10+ year old car.

I am basing this on a fair amount of experience with schools in Thailand. I have taught at the high school level for a total of 6 years, and have had ample opportunity to see how the kids interact with non-teaching school personnel. For years I did not own a car, and often caught a ride with the afternoon school bus back to my village, and have had many opportunities to observe the interaction between the drivers and the kids. The drivers get to know the kids fairly well, and there is plenty of back and forth banter. Finally, my daughter also attends a Catholic school which I have visited numerous times, and have seen how the children interact with school administrators and non-teaching personnel there as well.

Obviously, there is a status hierarchy, but EVERYONE involved with the school is treated with respect and treated as a member of the school community. This applies to everyone including the van/bus drivers, the cafeteria workers, even the janitors and landscape gardeners. The notion that personable banter between school personnel and students is a breach of decorum is simply not true, or that there is a untermensch class of employee which is be treated as if they were invisible, is ridiculous. This is especially true at Catholic schools these days where Pope Francis' message of respect and love for the poor and less fortunate has been thoroughly embraced. And what kind of parent, regardless of religious affiliation, wants to teach their kid that certain people are beneath them?

Some of the posters on this thread might be shocked to learn how much interaction non-teaching school personnel have with the children. For example, take a school van driver driving a kid to school one hour each way. Throw in afternoon boarding waiting times, that driver has upwards of 400 hours of unsupervised contact with the kids per school year. That same driver might even have multi-year contact with the kid, transporting him or her to school for their entire junior/senior high school years. Believe me, the drivers get to know all the kids on the bus.

Regarding the "stranger danger," "grooming" the daughter, and the "this person might be a pedophile because he spoke to the OP's daughter" type comments, the people who are interpreting this situation in this manner are looking at it through a Western cultural prism, and are superimposing Western paranoia about adult contact with children onto this situation. In Thailand, there is 10 fold more intergenerational contact that there is in the West. Kids interact with adults much more easily and fluidly here. In the West, you can barely say good morning to your neighbor's child without being accused of having an unhealthy interest in the child. It is far more open in Thailand than in the West, so by Thai standards, there is absolutely no question in my mind that what the parking attendant said would be perceived as harmless banter by 99% of Thais.

Edited by Gecko123

coffee1.gif

Actually I'm a bit of a Mazda fan - so have a Mazda 3 , new Mazda 2 ( present for the bf) and a classic Mk 1 MX5 - the one with pop up headlights - for high days and holidays - it's fun.

You give your boyfriends brand new, though cheap, new cars. Wow, I've heard it all now. They must know how to tickle your fancy! I like the MX5 but you can hardly compare it to the Mazda 2.

You seem obsessed with cars or is it money- I won't stoop to your level and tell you what cars my wife and son drive or the house I bought for my 1st daughter.

Edited by Sawan Chan 7

Well, "kiddo"...

Numpty.

Atleast i show to my children to stand up for themself. I would be surprised if you even had children and if you have.. well.. maybe the non-existing God(s) have mercy on them.

Well, "kiddo"...

Numpty.

Atleast i show to my children to stand up for themself. I would be surprised if you even had children and if you have.. well.. maybe the non-existing God(s) have mercy on them.

Jesus wept.

Well, "kiddo"...

Numpty.

I agree, many replies here are probably from people without children here. Wish I could be more active here - this holiday is quite fun.

Surely you are not arrogant enough to say that all the billions of people in the world who have faith in God are wrong?

Well, "kiddo"...

Numpty.

I agree, many replies here are probably from people without children here. Wish I could be more active here - this holiday is quite fun.

Surely you are not arrogant enough to say that all the billions of people in the world who have faith in God are wrong?

No, i don't care what people believe in. Up to them :)

My "have mercy" thing was only written like that as i personally don't believe in anything.

coffee1.gif

You give your boyfriends brand new, though cheap, new cars. Wow, I've heard it all now. They must know how to tickle your fancy! I like the MX5 but you can hardly compare it to the Mazda 2.

You seem obsessed with cars or is it money- I won't stoop to your level and tell you what cars my wife and son drive or the house I bought for my 1st daughter.

Oh dear you asked a question- I gave you the answer.

Maybe you have never owned an open sports car?

The MX5 is now 23 years old - I can guarantee if I turned up at school to drop off my kid ( unlikely ) in a open imported sports car ( albeit old) the staff would not snigger.

I was concerned about my boyfriend going to work on his bike, so gave him a car- is that a problem?

This conversation seems to have turned into a pi**ing up the wall contest about cars and money.

I would just like to explain a couple of things to the crowd who is calling for the parking attendant's head on a stick, and who are advocating that he "needs to be taught his place" or suggesting that he may be "grooming" the OP's daughter for a future sexual assault for having the audacity to ask the OP's daughter how old her father was and teasing him about needing to replace his 10+ year old car.

I am basing this on a fair amount of experience with schools in Thailand. I have taught at the high school level for a total of 6 years, and have had ample opportunity to see how the kids interact with non-teaching school personnel. For years I did not own a car, and often caught a ride with the afternoon school bus back to my village, and have had many opportunities to observe the interaction between the drivers and the kids. The drivers get to know the kids fairly well, and there is plenty of back and forth banter. Finally, my daughter also attends a Catholic school which I have visited numerous times, and have seen how the children interact with school administrators and non-teaching personnel there as well.

Obviously, there is a status hierarchy, but EVERYONE involved with the school is treated with respect and treated as a member of the school community. This applies to everyone including the van/bus drivers, the cafeteria workers, even the janitors and landscape gardeners. The notion that personable banter between school personnel and students is a breach of decorum is simply not true, or that there is a untermensch class of employee which is be treated as if they were invisible, is ridiculous. This is especially true at Catholic schools these days where Pope Francis' message of respect and love for the poor and less fortunate has been thoroughly embraced. And what kind of parent, regardless of religious affiliation, wants to teach their kid that certain people are beneath them?

Some of the posters on this thread might be shocked to learn how much interaction non-teaching school personnel have with the children. For example, take a school van driver driving a kid to school one hour each way. Throw in afternoon boarding waiting times, that driver has upwards of 400 hours of unsupervised contact with the kids per school year. That same driver might even have multi-year contact with the kid, transporting him or her to school for their entire junior/senior high school years. Believe me, the drivers get to know all the kids on the bus.

Regarding the "stranger danger," "grooming" the daughter, and the "this person might be a pedophile because he spoke to the OP's daughter" type comments, the people who are interpreting this situation in this manner are looking at it through a Western cultural prism, and are superimposing Western paranoia about adult contact with children onto this situation. In Thailand, there is 10 fold more intergenerational contact that there is in the West. Kids interact with adults much more easily and fluidly here. In the West, you can barely say good morning to your neighbor's child without being accused of having an unhealthy interest in the child. It is far more open in Thailand than in the West, so by Thai standards, there is absolutely no question in my mind that what the parking attendant said would be perceived as harmless banter by 99% of Thais.

For the record, I too have a fair amount of experience with schools in Thailand and their staff. I raised a daughter here and so I do not make my previous comments lightly.

But you are not gving due consideration to the questions asked. This was not normal, daily chat - the "hello, how are you today" kind of thing. yes, I'm aware Thais, especially car park attendants, don't indulge in this kind of chat normally, but nor do they indulge in banter with relative strangers of the kind mentioned in the OP. They most certainly do not make the kind of comments that this guy did - he had a motive (I don't necessarily mean a suspicious one). He was being disrespectful out of arrogance. I can't put it more simply than that. The OP's reaction has nothing to do with superior fireigner, low Thai person. Just basic human decency is involved here. I have encountered similar experiences on dozens of occasions - most not worth reacting to until someone steps over the line like this guy did.

coffee1.gif

The MX5 is now 23 years old - I can guarantee if I turned up at school to drop off my kid ( unlikely ) in a open imported sports car ( albeit old) the staff would not snigger.

I was concerned about my boyfriend going to work on his bike, so gave him a car- is that a problem?

This conversation seems to have turned into a pi**ing up the wall contest about cars and money.

Seems to be the case with most threads..not sure why they worry about what a Thai thinks when clearly they are more concerned about what other foreigners think and I was stupid enough to believe that coming to live in Thailand was one of the reasons to jettison that baggage..

For the record, I too have a fair amount of experience with schools in Thailand and their staff. I raised a daughter here and so I do not make my previous comments lightly.

But you are not gving due consideration to the questions asked. This was not normal, daily chat - the "hello, how are you today" kind of thing. yes, I'm aware Thais, especially car park attendants, don't indulge in this kind of chat normally, but nor do they indulge in banter with relative strangers of the kind mentioned in the OP. They most certainly do not make the kind of comments that this guy did - he had a motive (I don't necessarily mean a suspicious one). He was being disrespectful out of arrogance. I can't put it more simply than that. The OP's reaction has nothing to do with superior fireigner, low Thai person. Just basic human decency is involved here. I have encountered similar experiences on dozens of occasions - most not worth reacting to until someone steps over the line like this guy did.

I agree Witawat. He crossed the line and should suffer the consequences whatever they may be.

A drunk guy came up to me and me daughters in a mall, saying how I had beautiful kids while trying to grab me by the arm. I revolved making the guy lose his balance and fall over and told him to sober up. My kids and the cheesecake women all applauded my actions.

if we farang say nothing and allow this behavior it means we condone it.

coffee1.gif

Seems to be the case with most threads..not sure why they worry about what a Thai thinks when clearly they are more concerned about what other foreigners think and I was stupid enough to believe that coming to live in Thailand was one of the reasons to jettison that baggage..

Thailand is no place for bicycles. Anyone allowing their SOs to go out to work on one whilst having sports cars should be ashamed of themselves.

coffee1.gif

Thailand is no place for bicycles. Anyone allowing their SOs to go out to work on one whilst having sports cars should be ashamed of themselves.

Even I would not expect the boyfriend to whizz off to to work on a push bike ( down Sukhamvit ) maybe a language difference. So not ashamed of myself.

But no he has to work - I will not provide for his family- not one baht- so money earned goes back home- that's good. It works well.

This thread had lost the plot a bit!

But it all comes down to how we relate with with people we meet everyday- the security guy last night was asleep.

There are many on here who have no empathy , and would be baying to sack him- maybe he had already worked a day shift- I see someone trying to feed his family ( a pleasant man, who tells you about his family- and dogs!)

I think the OP probably wishes that Thailand was originally part of the British Empire and drives to his daughter's privileged school in a pith helmet Of course before he had the air con fixed in his rust bucket- he had a punkawallah in the back seat.