Cheeky Carpark Attendant

Sawan Chan 7

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife is a teacher. I just spoke to her about it & her advice is to go straight to the top (Nun) and complain and have this person removed from the school

get it stopped now.

Good luck with your decision.coffee1.gif

You want the guy fired for what exactly? Talking to a student? Some of you guys are losing what's left of your mind.

Just after she got out of the car he asked her how old I was.

As we she was getting into the car, he bent down and said to tell me that I need to buy a new car.

He is just being a tosser, my girl is 175 cm and attractive to most Thai men wherever we go.

Is it my ego? Good question. Loss of face, I have turned Thai a bit by osmosis over the years. I just spent 40,000 baht on new tyres and a bit for my air conditioning which is probably at least 5 times his salary. I don't put having a fancy new car as a priority. I have 3 older kids at university, one abroad which is far more important in my budget.

if you were concerned about your daughter, id be very much in suppor of you, the thing is you are worried about your damn car.

personally neither i nor the yam could care less about your new tires and how much they cost.

perhaps you should try screaming "DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM" at him at the top of your lungs/ it seems to be that which concerns you most here.

quit talking about your money. nobody cares

Oh you know the Thai word for guard, well done.

Doesn't impress me one bit as I've lived and worked in Thailand most of my life. Maybe you keep the culture you came from I don't, well not all of it.

Where did I say I was not concerned about my daughter?

You obviously do are about money or you wouldn't have said it.

Having sent 2 to top Schools be warned the pitfalls. Main one i found no matter what Degree they finally get,some Bas$$$$ wants big money to get them into even a PLC Companies and Top Banks here are worse.Once they cant get a job thats worthwhile they turn into Angor Watt and revert back to dumb and cement heads. My Wife says so, dont argue.!!!... Naturally the Smarter Preppy Type Know it all Ferang will bleat at my findings,only to realize 20 years on its true.sad.png

Are these your own kids you are talking about or hers? Either one, I am shocked. I have one studying for abroad for a Master, Ill let you know in a couple of years.

You want the guy fired for what exactly? Talking to a student? Some of you guys are losing what's left of your mind.

As we she was getting into the car, he bent down and said to tell me that I need to buy a new car.

He is just being a tosser, my girl is 175 cm and attractive to most Thai men wherever we go.

Is it my ego? Good question. Loss of face, I have turned Thai a bit by osmosis over the years. I just spent 40,000 baht on new tyres and a bit for my air conditioning which is probably at least 5 times his salary. I don't put having a fancy new car as a priority. I have 3 older kids at university, one abroad which is far more important in my budget.

if you were concerned about your daughter, id be very much in suppor of you, the thing is you are worried about your damn car.

personally neither i nor the yam could care less about your new tires and how much they cost.

perhaps you should try screaming "DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM" at him at the top of your lungs/ it seems to be that which concerns you most here.

Doesn't impress me one bit as I've lived and worked in Thailand most of my life. Maybe you keep the culture you came from I don't, well not all of it.

yes, put this back on me, lets battle it out over thainess. i personally cant be bothered, good luck with your problem. sigh.

Me, im off to prove to the noodle seller i could own her cart for the cost of my bicycle.

I'm siding with the OP. This was an unsolicited approach, which in itself is cause for concern, by someone whose sole job (I gather) is to help organize cars. The school should have made him aware of how to behave around young teens and pre-pubescent girls.

The guard probably considers himself superior to foreigners. I would venture that his remarks were intended to boost his ego in front of an attractive young thing by humiliating an inferior foreigner - not acceptable behavior, but I think most of us have had to endure this Thai male arrogance at some stage or another. But sometimes it crosses a line, which I think is the case with the OP. I sincerely hope the OP gets the loser sacked. How dare he speak like that to someone's kid.

I do think the OP is too worried about his car and his status.

I would thing that it is most likely the guard was trying to be friendly in a normal manner as anyone would in a village. On the offchance he was not if I was more concerned I would go to the nun and tell her what happened. Emphasise that nothing bad was actually said or done but you think she should be aware of this in case things escalate as parents are concerned about their children.

I would then leave it to the nun and forget it.

Maybe washing and polishing your car would help too.

Of course there's a small risk the guy is a pervert and up to no good.

Or, he may just want to establish a relationship with the human beings he's paid to look after. Joking around is a way to break the ice. Some jokes and kidding are funnier to me than they are to you.

If something bad happens on campus and he's called on to intercede in a security capacity, I'd rather count on someone that knows my kid and has some sense of personal attachment than count on a disinterested parking attendant, or worse, one who dislikes my kid because of something I've done.

If she's 15, she already knows better than you and me put together whether he's a genuine perv risk.

Edited by impulse

Some of you are unduly harsh on the OP, especially when accusing him of caring more about his rep and his car than his daughter.

Imagine being 60 years old back in your home country, picking up your 15 year old daughter from school. The janitor passes by as your child is getting out of the car, he stares you in the eye, and says, "Hey, mate, how old are you?"

You are dumbfounded. While your brain adjusts to such a bizarre, out of place inquiry, he adds, "By the way, you need a new car."

And that's directly communicating with you in English. This bozo funneled the clear messages (I like your little girl, mate, and not in a proper way) through the OP's daughter, involving her directly.

EDIT: spill chek

Edited by HeijoshinCool

Some Thais are warm, friendly, out-going, inquisitive, lacking in education and awareness of what's outside their range of knowledge and experience; and no doubt there are so many other personal factors that can form our interactions with Thais supposedly on a different social level than us; other common factors of note being a childlike, innocent grasp of etiquette with fantastical beings who are outside of greng-jai and for whom face is non-existent....

It sounds to me as if the car park attendant was just making his idea of a cheeky joke. All this talk about "grooming" and the like is way over the top, the tabloid newspapers have a lot to answer for!

The OP should look on the bright side, at least it has given him the opportunity to let us all know that his kids go to a "Prestigious school", and that he spends four times as much on aircon and new tyres than the car park peasant earns in a year!

yes, put this back on me, lets battle it out over thainess. i personally cant be bothered, good luck with your problem. sigh.

Me, im off to prove to the noodle seller i could own her cart for the cost of my bicycle.

HAHAHAHAHA! Good one

It sounds to me as if the car park attendant was just making his idea of a cheeky joke. All this talk about "grooming" and the like is way over the top, the tabloid newspapers have a lot to answer for!

The OP should look on the bright side, at least it has given him the opportunity to let us all know that his kids go to a "Prestigious school", and that he spends four times as much on aircon and new tyres than the car park peasant earns in a year!

You participation in this thread is not welcome.

The reason I spoke about this was because it is not a cheap car and not very old. If it were 20 years old and a cheap car I could understand and maybe forgive/turn a blind eye. The reason I mentioned a prestigious school was relevant I think to the situation.

Edited by Sawan Chan 7

I'd turn up in an older car and give him a wave with a big fat smile.

lol - good idea.

My kid was off school yesterday so still to seethe guy/school as today is a holiday.

Do it mate, it'll piss him right off.

Uncle buck style.

:-)

Edited by longstebe

I can't believe the OP is serious with this.

I can get annoyed quickly with things Thai, but something like this?

I would have laughed and told my daughter "at least I have car" and would have forgotten all about it 5 minutes later.

Please give me an example of such a thing that happened to you.

The reality is that most Thai raised Thais are for cutting the grass, washing the windows and taking luggage out of our cars.

Leave them at that and don't worry what they say. They are, after all, serving us for peanuts, and we have them cleaning our shoes.\

coffee1.gif

That post tells me that yu have not a clue on reality in Thailand, as well as being an undesirable bigoted guest.

Some of you are unduly harsh on the OP, especially when accusing him of caring more about his rep and his car than his daughter.

Imagine being 60 years old back in your home country, picking up your 15 year old daughter from school. The janitor passes by as your child is getting out of the car, he stares you in the eye, and says, "Hey, mate, how old are you?"

You are dumbfounded. While your brain adjusts to such a bizarre, out of place inquiry, he adds, "By the way, you need a new car."

And that's directly communicating with you in English. This bozo funneled the clear messages (I like your little girl, mate, and not in a proper way) through the OP's daughter, involving her directly.

I've been away from my home country so long it's hard to imagine what t would be like. I agree with you. Also, what would my daughter say if I said nothing to the janitor? In a way this situation is worse because it's obvious that he is doing this just because of my race.

Thanks for the comment, I am still very much undecided as what to do. I probably have the power to get him fired if I want but not sure if it is the right decision.

I didn't wade through all the posts, but if I were you I would be more concerned with the fact that this fellow seems to be overly interested in your 15 year old daughter.

Confronting him directly would not be a good idea. I would ask your daughter if he only talks to her or if he jokes around with all the girls. If the first case is true, tell the head nun that you think that he is stalking your daughter. If the second is true, tell the head nun that he is too friendly with the teenage girls. Then ask her if he has had a police check. If you can get another parent (preferably a Thai woman parent) to complain too, you can be pretty much guaranteed that he won't be working at that school for very long.

PS: Don't even mention the car or your age when you complain. Those are probably just excuses for him to talk to her.

Edited by otherstuff1957

I've been away from my home country so long it's hard to imagine what t would be like. I agree with you. Also, what would my daughter say if I said nothing to the janitor? In a way this situation is worse because it's obvious that he is doing this just because of my race.

Thanks for the comment, I am still very much undecided as what to do. I probably have the power to get him fired if I want but not sure if it is the right decision.

In your first post he was the "car park guy"...now he's the "janitor" already?

By Thai standards, your old car is a bit of a clunker. If the school is prestigious, it's probably a parade of Merc's, BMW's and new Hondas...

Show up in a new Vigo with 22" rims, tinted windows and a Carryboy and you'd have his respect.

But seriously, let it go. If you worry about what Thais say to your face (or daughters), just imagine what they are saying behind your back...

I've had similar things happen regarding my daughters who also went to a Catholic school. Not St Joseph's Convent is it? Mater Dei? These once were prestigious but not so much anymore. I worked at one on 1997 when Taksins daughter was there and can't imagine a guard be so offensive. Thais are taught from an early age to know their place. Maybe seeing an old car,he saw an opportunity to let off some steam. Being a nobody working with all the rich kids and parents might affect some.

Ask your daughter his "exact words" you will know if he really was being offensive or joking. The use of "mum" as a pronoun is a prime example.

Also, a land cruiser is probably something he's jealous of regardless of age. He will never be able to afford one.

I would go up to him and say "I hear you have a problem with me and my car, please elaborate to my face" If you get an apology,accept it. If you don't get him fired.

In your first post he was the "car park guy"...now he's the "janitor" already?

By Thai standards, your old car is a bit of a clunker. If the school is prestigious, it's probably a parade of Merc's, BMW's and new Hondas...

Show up in a new Vigo with 22" rims, tinted windows and a Carryboy and you'd have his respect.

But seriously, let it go. If you worry about what Thais say to your face (or daughters), just imagine what they are saying behind your back...

He is not the janitor, someone else said IMAGINE a janitor..

You'd be surprised about the cars. I see many older cars than mine at the Polo Club, for example. Rich people are often stingy on cars.

What do you mean - of course I care what Thais say to my face, don't you?

Edited by Sawan Chan 7

I've had similar things happen regarding my daughters who also went to a Catholic school. Not St Joseph's Convent is it? Mater Dei? These once were prestigious but not so much anymore. I worked at one on 1997 when Taksins daughter was there and can't imagine a guard be so offensive. Thais are taught from an early age to know their place. Maybe seeing an old car,he saw an opportunity to let off some steam. Being a nobody working with all the rich kids and parents might affect some.

Ask your daughter his "exact words" you will know if he really was being offensive or joking. The use of "mum" as a pronoun is a prime example.

Also, a land cruiser is probably something he's jealous of regardless of age. He will never be able to afford one.

I would go up to him and say "I hear you have a problem with me and my car, please elaborate to my face" If you get an apology,accept it. If you don't get him fired.

It's neither of these schools. I don't want to be specific about the school.

I id ask the exact words but there was nothing offensive about the actual words - just the cheek of saying it. if he had used mun, he'd already have had a confrontation with me.

Good idea about speaking with him - thanks.