US gay couple stuck in Thailand with baby, says surrogate won't sign papers

webfact

Same-sex couple wows to remain in Thailand until surrogate mother signs papers for baby to come home to U.S.
LA Blake

LOS ANGELES: -- Florida couple Gordon "Bud" Lake and Manuel Santos have spent the past six months in Thailand, stuck in what in what they call a "nightmare" situation. They say their infant daughter's surrogate mother will not sign the papers necessary for them to bring their baby home to the United States.

"The past six months have obviously been the most stressful and anxiety ridden months of our lives," Lake told ABC. "Our families have missed out on the first six months of Carmen's beautiful life."

Lake and Santos, who have been married three years, have gone through the surrogacy process before. Their son Alvaro was born in India. He is Santos' biological son and Lake adopted him after he was born.

"In India, we didn't have any problem with the surrogate mother wanting to keep our baby," Lake said.

But this time has been different. Lake, Carmen's biological father, had already met the surrogate prior to going to the hospital to pick her up, but Santos had not. The couple believes that the surrogate, who can only communicate with them through a translator, refuses to sign the papers because they are gay.

"We got a message from our surrogate mother's translator saying that she wanted to keep Carmen," Lake said. "The initial message did not say anything about why."

Full story: http://abc7.com/family/gay-couple-waits-in-thailand-for-surrogate-to-sign-babys-release-papers/874452/

-- ABC7 - LOS ANGELES 2015-07-29

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"But this time has been different. Lake, Carmen's biological father, had already met the surrogate prior to going to the hospital to pick her up, but Santos had not. The couple believes that the surrogate, who can only communicate with them through a translator, refuses to sign the papers because they are gay.

"We got a message from our surrogate mother's translator saying that she wanted to keep Carmen," Lake said. "The initial message did not say anything about why.""

Why? It would not have anything to do with more money not yet being passed to 'Mum"

Living in Thailand sure opens one's eyes to local prejudices... this isn't about sexual orientation, it's about discriminating against rich farangs! Have they even tried offering more baht? Buyer beware when in a "business" environment without any regulations.

But on the flip side, why are these characters buying designer pets when the shelters are putting down soi dogs? The orphanages here are overflowing and it would be so easy to go and pick up one of the million babies that are just looking for someone to love them!

Nothing in this country that cant be bought with the right amount of money, some time a handful more changes

ideas and principles.. enlist the help of a Pu Yai person, or a person of position backed up with a bundle

of US$$ the baby is yours....

Edited by ezzra

With all the children living in orphanages throughout the

World ,would it not be a better solution for everyone, if

they adopted some poor kids,instead of bringing more

into the World.

regards worgeordie

Suppose they just walk away and leave the baby with her, would she be able to cope with it in the long run?

She can see quick money here and now, but if the couple walk away she would be in trouble.

I realise they won't do that as one of them is the biological parent.

Living in Thailand sure opens one's eyes to local prejudices... this isn't about sexual orientation, it's about discriminating against rich farangs! Have they even tried offering more baht? Buyer beware when in a "business" environment without any regulations.

But on the flip side, why are these characters buying designer pets when the shelters are putting down soi dogs? The orphanages here are overflowing and it would be so easy to go and pick up one of the million babies that are just looking for someone to love them!

Be careful "Dirty" your sexism is showing!

Why do you not suggest that straight couples also adopt soi dogs instead of producing designer babies as well.

We are all entitled to our individual views, I am generally a very open minded person on anything heterosexual

I do not like gay marriages in particular but can accept them because that is the desire of the two individuals and laws have been passed

Children to gay marriages is however very different, and disturbs me greatly, because it takes from the child the right to enjoy normalcy

I do not believe the couple should be allowed to take the child and I hope the mother is not just holding out for more money

into the World.

regards worgeordie

I do agree with you, but it can be difficult to adopt, especially if you are gay.

Trentham Quote:

It is not necessary for me to comment on this because the prejudice, sexism and ignorance is so obvious. The ignorance is overt because just look at the spelling mistakes.

@Trentham. You just commented on it!

Your understanding of the phrase "not necessary for me to comment" is much worse than the spelling errors by Jalansanitwong.

Edited by ldiablo

Why do you not suggest that straight couples also adopt soi dogs instead of producing designer babies as well.

My comment was about this story involving this particular couple. But let me clear the air and state that ALL couples need to really look inside themselves when deciding on the use of a surrogate - with all the children out there needing love, forcing another into existence is, IMHO, selfish.

I also thought about commenting on the other post, but decided best not to feed the bridge dwellers. Seriously, all the scientific proof is out there in psychology and sociology journals, guess it's easier to listen to someone's interpretation of a 4000 year old book (that's been edited more times than anyone can remember)? In today's age of free and easily accessible information, it's mind boggling the number of people that choose to be ignorant.

We are all entitled to our individual views, I am generally a very open minded person on anything heterosexual

I do not like gay marriages in particular but can accept them because that is the desire of the two individuals and laws have been passed

Children to gay marriages is however very different, and disturbs me greatly, because it takes from the child the right to enjoy normalcy

I do not believe the couple should be allowed to take the child and I hope the mother is not just holding out for more money

I agree with everything you have said, except one grammar point. The word is "normality", not "normalcy". You've been listening to Thai radio, haven't you?

Suppose they just walk away and leave the baby with her, would she be able to cope with it in the long run?

She can see quick money here and now, but if the couple walk away she would be in trouble.

I realise they won't do that as one of them is the biological parent.

It is reasonable to assume that the mother is holding out for money....but then why hasn't she asked for more? It's been 6 months and the baby is with the father.

I disagree she would be in trouble if the couple walked away...the child is a very cute leuk krung and will one day bring loads of dough into the family, from marrying a rich guy to working for ad companies.... at least that could be what the mother is thinking.

The adoption process in Thailand is a complete nightmare. If I want to adopt my step son, my wife also has to adopt him ! clap2.gif She has to give up her rights as a parent and go through the procedure of adoption alongside me. I want to give him the opportunity of a European passport but the system is a nightmare.

into the World.

regards worgeordie

Ok, they want their own kid. It's their gene

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My comment was about this story involving this particular couple. But let me clear the air and state that ALL couples need to really look inside themselves when deciding on the use of a surrogate - with all the children out there needing love, forcing another into existence is, IMHO, selfish.

I also thought about commenting on the other post, but decided best not to feed the bridge dwellers. Seriously, all the scientific proof is out there in psychology and sociology journals, guess it's easier to listen to someone's interpretation of a 4000 year old book (that's been edited more times than anyone can remember)? In today's age of free and easily accessible information, it's mind boggling the number of people that choose to be ignorant.

It's not ignorance. It's called an opinion. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, not just the liberal PC brigade.

I feel sorry for the two guys,i do not know how to fix a problem like this but it will probably involve money.

As for the comments on this thread so far,all a baby needs to grow up as a normal person is love ,love and more love from the people around it.

I really feel sorry for the homophobes around here.

It's not ignorance. It's called an opinion. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, not just the liberal PC brigade.

I presume you are a real teacher. You should know then that an opinion based on lack of knowledge or lack of intelligence is still IGNORANCE.

The orphanages here are not 'overflowing', there is a very long waiting list and it would be extremely difficult (probably impossible) for them to adopt a Thai child. This is the wrong country for a foreigner looking to adopt.

You generally find those that despise and condemn gay people openly are most likely closeted gays themselves who are filled with infinite amounts of self hate. People who are comfortable with their sexuality couldn't care less about what other consenting adults are doing with one another. :)