Are Thai soaps starting to get boring?

drronnie

Always the same plots taking place among mega rich characters and environment.

Arent people getting tired of this?. I think Japanese or European dramas are far more realistic because it involved next door type characters. Normal peoples life are full of drama , but why do Thai people love to see hiso life in dramas?

Starting to get boring?

Admittedly in my ignorance I can't speak Thai but I was never aware of a time when Thai soaps were any good.

To me Thai soaps just seem to be a lot of screaming, crying, fighting and shouting featuring incredibly attractive Thai women, as well as Thai men who try their upmost to look like Westerners.

The plot is seems to be always about love triangle and/or adultery/cheating.

More than a few seconds is pretty intolerable.

My Mrs and her friends however are absolutely hooked.

I tried to educate her on The Wire, The Sopranos, Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad but to no avail. sad.png

Thai soaps make the likes of Coronation Street, Eastenders and Emmerdale look like absolute masterpieces.

As mentioned they have always seemed boring. The plots have gotten marginally better in my opinion over the last 15 years. I still find it amazing considering Thailand is so proud and could be considered nationalist, that the majourity of actors and actresses do not represent the people. I know that the audience is aimed at Thais so I can't really complain. I would like to see more realism, less racism and sexism and less slap stick style humopur. But you could argue that these represent Thailand's levels of all society from the poor to the rich.

I can't see many soaps getting bought from overseas countries in the near future unless they drastically improve.

Starting to get boring?

Admittedly in my ignorance I can't speak Thai but I was never aware of a time when Thai soaps were any good.

To me Thai soaps just seem to be a lot of screaming, crying, fighting and shouting featuring incredibly attractive Thai women, as well as Thai men who try their upmost to look like Westerners.

I tried to educate her on The Wire, The Sopranos, Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad but to no avail. sad.png

Thai soaps make the likes of Coronation Street, Eastenders and Emmerdale look like absolute masterpieces.

"upmost" indeed.

Starting to get boring?

I do know some Thais would rather watch US dramas and crime series than Thai and absolutely detest the soap operas. The problem is that even if they were to make a realistic soap opera the current actors and actress would not look very fitting to normal people. The celebs look very artificial by the way.

whats wrong with showing more native people instead of actors/ actress who had too much whitening cream or are of half Caucasian descent? I think however that the current Miss Thailand will show a new trend that it is no shame to be darker skinned. I think everyone looks wonderful if they would just adhere to the way they are.

I can't see many soaps getting bought from overseas countries in the near future unless they drastically improve.

luckily for me the two females in our household (wifey and stepdaughter) have stopped watching the Thai soaps, now they watch the Korean/Japanese/Chinese soaps that have been dubbed into Thai. The acting (?) is far better than the Thai soaps but the dubbed soundtracks are ridicules with grunts, groans and the usual silly noises that Thai television seems to like.

luckily for me the two females in our household (wifey and stepdaughter) have stopped watching the Thai soaps, now they watch the Korean/Japanese/Chinese soaps that have been dubbed into Thai. The acting (?) is far better than the Thai soaps but the dubbed soundtracks are ridicules with grunts, groans and the usual silly noises that Thai television seems to like.

At least in the Korean/Japanese/Chinese soaps they use professional actor / actresses who went through acting school. In Thailand anyone with connections to the media industry can take a shot. Often they even pull in their relatives to get parts in the soaps therefore the lack of acting skills.

However the big screen producations are much better and even exported to other countries but not so popular in Thailand itself.

Brazil is well-known for its soap operas... and they are just all the same as you described. So, soap operas are always the same thing and I really can't understadn how and why people spend time watching them.

.jpg

Thai soaps only have one story line,with basically the same set of characters,

the pushy mother,the nasty daughter,the rich and handsome young man,the

very nice young girl,who is competing with the nasty girl to get the man,then

enter overtly gay man stage left,add in a couple of maids to pamper the

matriarch ,thats it,repeat over and over in different settings, add a few bells ,

whistles and funny noises. the Thai soap, oh and the main characters have

to be wealthy and live in big houses,and never seem to have job.,just the

opposite of Coronation Street,Eastenders.

regards worgeordie

Starting to get boring?

Try "married with children"....

I remember when Dull Ass (Dallas) hit the screens back in UK many, many moons ago. Couldn't stand it or any of the other soaps on the airwaves. Any time the wife had a soap on the box I had a pink chit to go down the local pub. Thai soaps are no different to the western variety - all are rubbish IMHO. Now if they only had a few decent pubs up here in Surin I would have the freedom to roam every night of the week and at weekends too.

They have always been boring, It amazes me the amount of violence involved,everyone carries a 1911 colt 45,and if they get shot they take 20 mins to die.

Just sums up the real Thailand, Bit the same as the soaps in other Countrys a soap reflects the way of life, and culture there.