Upgraded to Win 10 Today/29 July Without Issue

Pib

Anyone else notice edits to your USER directory after installing the Threshold update?

I did another upgrade install today which I will talk in more detail about a little later, but when checking my Users directory it did update most (not all) of the folders' modified date to today since I did the upgrade again today...or maybe modification of the folders' date occurs every day you turn your computer on? Anything more specific I should be looking for?

I originally upgraded then reinstalled Win 10 (to convert a 32-bit install to 64-bit).

Just noticed after installing Threshold that there's now a Windows.old in the root directory, and 'Default' as well as 'Default.migrated' directories in the \User section. Originally this was one of the suggested 'fixes' for people having boot issues and I just noticed it was done during the lengthy 1511 (10586) update process.

Yeap, same for me. Earlier today I noticed when viewing hidden files/folders that the Windows 10586 upgrade had created a Windows.old folder with 16.5GB of folders/files in it so a person to could revert back to the earlier build/version if desired. If like last time I think that will hang around for around 30 days and be automatically deleted...or a person can use the Systems File Cleaner to get rid of it now like I did earlier today. But it came back when I did the upgrade a second time today....I won't delete "right now"...I have plenty of spare space. I also have that Default.migrated folder. I expect there is other new stuff spread around also.

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have been using the actual command window then I don't know what is going on but when you google the problem you see people have had this problem in all versions of windows (7, 8, 10, etc).

Both last night and tonight, I was using the CMD icon from my Windows start menu... not the other methods you mentioned. Last night, the Window was disappearing. Tonight, it stays open and visible.

post-58284-0-76442800-1447779109_thumb.j

Just above those lines, BTW, is a line listed as "Product ID" and then a series of letters and numbers. I'm guessing, that's the MS product ID for my current Win 10 installation on my laptop, since I no longer have a MS Windows product key for my Win 10 install on that old laptop (since its prior Win 7 install is now toast).

Yeap, same for me. Earlier today I noticed when viewing hidden files/folders that the Windows 10586 upgrade had created a Windows.old folder with 16.5GB of folders/files in it so a person to could revert back to the earlier build/version if desired.

Fyi, the other day, for various reasons, I decided to finally do the Win 10 upgrade on my last remaining machine, which happens to be my main desktop PC. In part because my earlier Win 10 upgrades have gone smoothly on several other lesser machines that I manage, both on initial upgrade and use over time.

The main desktop PC Win 10 upgrade went fine, but once completed, I discovered that I had lost a particular functionality that I wanted and use in Win 7 relating to video capture. So, I ended up using the Windows Restore (or Recover) command in Win 10 to bring back my prior Win 7 install.

Except for somehow losing 1 driver that I'll need to replace and messing my personalized Start Menu a bit, the automated Win 7 restore went pretty quickly and cleanly. So now my main desktop is back to its earlier Win 7 install, its version of Win 10 is gone, and that PC will probably stay on Win 7 for the foreseeable future.

As for the Windows.old directory on people's C drives, AFAIK, that's been a feature of Windows going back as many versions as I can remember. When doing OS upgrades to the newer version of Windows, MS has always put some set of your prior install into that folder, just in case something goes wrong with the new OS install... Then once you're satisfied everything is OK, it's easy to trash via Windows Disk Cleanup or just directly delete the folder from the C drive. But best make sure EVERYTHING is working first.

Yeap, same for me. Earlier today I noticed when viewing hidden files/folders that the Windows 10586 upgrade had created a Windows.old folder with 16.5GB of folders/files in it so a person to could revert back to the earlier build/version if desired.

As for the Windows.old directory on people's C drives, AFAIK, that's been a feature of Windows going back as many versions as I can remember. When doing OS upgrades to the newer version of Windows, MS has always put some set of your prior install into that folder, just in case something goes wrong with the new OS install... Then once you're satisfied everything is OK, it's easy to trash via Windows Disk Cleanup or just directly delete the folder from the C drive. But best make sure EVERYTHING is working first.

It's just I wasn't expecting to see a windows.old directory created on a pure Windows 10 pc after running a simple "system update".

Reminds me of the time they recast and replaced Daren, or Becky.

Something tells me I'm not running the Windows 10 I was used to.

Re #1, when I run systeminfo from the command line on my laptop, the info flashes VERY quickly on my screen and then totally disappears, including the window, before I can even begin to read it. Not sure why it's doing like that. But as it stands now, I can't see any of the info that command produces.

First let's confirm you are actually running it from the Command window versus the "Search the web and Windows" space/toolbar next to your Windows start icon.

If you run a command from the "Search the web and Windows" space you will see the black command windows open, runs the command you entered, and then the window disappears. And since most commands complete so faster it all over with in a second or two.

Be sure you are in the command window to run the command. You open the Command window several ways....for example right clicking the Start icon and then select either "Command Prompt" or Command Prompt (Elevated)" with the later being a better choice. Or right click the Start icon, select "Run" and when the window pops open enter "cmd", press enter, and that will take you to the command window. Now enter the "systeminfo" command or whatever command you want to run....the command will run, do its thing, display the results, and not close until you close the window.

If you have been using the actual command window then I don't know what is going on but when you google the problem you see people have had this problem in all versions of windows (7, 8, 10, etc).

Try just going to the Start Menu and typing in Version. Then above click on System Information. Same result I believe.

Cheers.

Try just going to the Start Menu and typing in Version. Then above click on System Information. Same result I believe.

Gives a different set of info...some info same as using systeminfo but not all. For example doing above using the Version command in the "Search the web and Windows" space next to the Windows start icon the summary results does not tell you the Windows Install Date like the systeminfo command does. But maybe buried in the Version subcategories/results somewhere it might give the install date....I looked for a minute or so in the different Version subcategory links but couldn't find anything regarding the Windows install date.

I did the Win 10 Threshold update because, I generally believe in keeping my OS up-to-date -- once it's clear that any major unexpected bugs aren't present in the new update.

However, during the Threshold install, MS put up some screen text saying something like... exciting changes or improvements for your PC.

Well, I read the tech website's list of changes incorporated into Threshold, and have been using it on a couple machines the past couple days.

And, while it works, at least for me, for the things I do and the way I use my PCs, I'm not sure I'd notice any difference from its predecessor.

I'm happy to be up-to-date. But I'm hardly excited.

--Find your laptop feature? For my laptop that sits at home on my desk 99% of the time?.

--Sync support improvements for the Edge browser with Windows Phone devices? But still no support for extensions. No Edge for me.

--Cortana support that helps with sending text messages for Windows Phone users? Don't use Cortana, don't want MS or Google as my "Big Brother." But, I'm sure that's a great feature for the seven people in the world who use Windows phones at present.

--Skype Metro app now split into 3 different pieces, Messaging, Phone and Video? Perhaps MS was looking to boost the number of apps available in their app store?

--New improvements to the "snapping" feature of MS Metro style apps? They mean, the MS apps I don't generally use, especially at home, because I'm generally running those services in a browser instead?

--Larger display area / more icon space in the Win 10 Start Menu? They mean, the one I DON'T use at all, preferring the much easier to customize Classic Shell instead?

--Automatic time zone adjusting in the OS when you're traveling? Ok... finally.... they got me there. Now I'm officially EXCITED!!! whistling.gif

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Just to point out again briefly, see below weblink for a good overview of the Features, Changes, and Improvements in the Nov 15 major update/upgrade of Win 10...this upgrade has also been referred to as Threshold or Service Pack.

http://www.windowscentral.com/whats-new-windows-10-fall-update

After giving the upgrade a pretty good workout today I haven't had any issues (knock on wood, fingers still cross, salt over the shoulder, etc). Time will tell.

I looked and I had that update available so I installed it. I lost my USB and wireless. Perhaps my drivers aren't compatible? Dunno. It scared me because without USB I can't restore an image that's on a USB external HDD.

Fortunately the Macrium Reflect rescue disk must have the generic USB drivers on it because when I booted to it (DVD) the external HDD and files were there. I imaged back to the night before (actual the wee hours of this morning) and all is good.

I'm going to hide that damn update until they get it right.

BTW this is an almost new Asus laptop that shipped with factory installed 64 bit Win 10 home so I was a bit surprised.

Cheers for images.

It's just I wasn't expecting to see a windows.old directory created on a pure Windows 10 pc after running a simple "system update".

<snip>

Maybe that's what they are going to do in the future - i.e. make a complete copy of the current Windows directory before applying a major update. It's almost as if they aren't quite sure that the update will work so they keep the old system just in case. facepalm.gif

Doesn't exactly fill you with confidence, does it? biggrin.png

My old Acer laptop that I "upgraded" from 7 to 10 had windows.old, windows.old.000 and windows.old.001 directories. They've all magically disappeared now dry.png but are present in three of my old system images. (I keep a lot of images. Just in case. smile.png)

Ooh... glad to see that starting with the November Update, Windows 10 (Version 1511) can be activated using some Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1 product keys. I know some people have had issues with the new Digital Entitlement activation method recognizing their fresh install.

00dd6257-6e9f-4d7f-a9f9-02f5c1e6d5f8_9.pActivation in Windows 10
windows.microsoft.com faq covers:

Activating Windows 10 after the free upgrade from Windows 7 or Windows 8.1

Activating Windows 10 (Version 1511 or higher) using a Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 8.1 product key
Activating after reinstalling Windows 10
Activating Windows 10 when installing it for the first time
Activating the latest Windows 10 Insider Preview
Activating Windows 10 after a hardware configuration change

My impression thus far is, Win 10 Threshold tends to re-set a lot of different settings on your machine back to their original default settings instead of keeping particular settings you may have set yourself after installing the original Win 10 software.

Re Neversure's wifi issue above, one example for me was wifi: On my Win 10 laptop, I had prior to Threshold a perfectly fine working internal Intel Centrino wifi adapter that always works like a charm. After Threshhold, the first couple times I turned on my laptop, my existing/default wifi setup came up turned off and unable to connect to my home wifi router.

I noodled around a bit, and finally discovered that the Threshold update had returned to default a setting in the wifi adapter settings that allows the machine to turn off wifi to save battery power. That was a setting I was previously aware of, and had it turned OFF (to not disable wifi to save power) in my pre-Threshold configuration. So, I reset it on my latest install to once again NOT turn of wifi to save power.

And presto, ever since then, my laptop boots up and automatically connects to my home wifi router without any issues. Why MS felt the need to change those kinds of settings back to defaults, I have no idea. And I wish they had NOT.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Ooh... glad to see that starting with the November Update, Windows 10 (Version 1511) can be activated using some Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1 product keys. I know some people have had issues with the new Digital Entitlement activation method recognizing their fresh install.

Rich, this an issue I've been a bit confused about, as follows:

For my couple machines at home now upgraded to Win 10, all of them previously had Win 7 installs from MS original DVD install disks accompanied by MS Product Keys for those Win 7 installs.

But now all that has been replaced by the new Win 10 upgrade installs. So what's the status of those original, purchased from MS Win 7 product keys now? Can I re-use them for new Win 7 installs on another machine if the need arises, or did they get somehow still get attached to my current Win 10 machines?

My impression thus far is, Win 10 Threshold tends to re-set a lot of different settings on your machine back to their original default settings instead of keeping particular settings you may have set yourself after installing the original Win 10 software.

One example re wifi: On my Win 10 laptop, I had prior to Threshold a perfectly fine working internal Intel Centrino wifi adapter that always works like a charm. After Threshhold, the first couple times I turned on my laptop, my existing/default wifi setup came up turned off and unable to connect to my home wifi router.

I noodled around a bit, and finally discovered that the Threshold update had returned to default a setting in the wifi adapter settings that allows the machine to turn off wifi to save battery power. That was a setting I was previously aware of, and had it turned OFF (to not disable wifi to save power) in my pre-Threshold configuration. So, I reset it on my lastest install to once again NOT turn of wifi to save power.

And presto, ever since then, my laptop boots up and automatically connects to my home wifi router without any issues. Why MS felt the need to change those kinds of settings back to defaults, I have no idea. And I wish they had NOT.

It's Microsoft secret plan to improve the computering skills of its customers by injecting a few challenges with each upgrade. It's a form of training You done good...you passed their pop quiz...but don't let your guard down as Microsoft will periodically send you updates to inject new challenges. Rumor has it the next update will inject video challenges.

For my couple machines at home now upgraded to Win 10, all of them previously had Win 7 installs from MS original DVD install disks accompanied by MS Product Keys for those Win 7 installs.

But now all that has been replaced by the new Win 10 upgrade installs. So what's the status of those original, purchased from MS Win 7 product keys now? Can I re-use them for new Win 7 installs on another machine if the need arises, or did they get somehow still get attached to my current Win 10 machines?

I'm going to guess but my guess is the Win 10 digital entitlement activation is linked to the original Win 7/8 license number.

Depends on the original license. But, mostly the answer is, technically/legally NO ...a license previously used in the process of acquiring an Windows 10 activated install can't be used to activate a second separate PC.

I think the activation kills two birds with one stone for Microsoft, by both allowing the previous version license key to assist in the activation process ...and... associate and lock the previous license key to a current Windows 10 activation, preventing it from being used/activated on another PC.

Previously, due to how the Microsoft authentication servers only used the 'hardware fingerprint' to authenticate digital entitlement, someone could get away with reusing a previous version license. I think they're closing that loophole now by associating the previous license. But the loophole of activating the previous license on a separate machine may still exist.

Some of your questions are possibly answered in this WinSuperSite FAQ

Thanks for that info... I read the Win SuperSite post, and found this item particularly interesting, as it seems to run counter to what I've understood to be the prevailing wisdom, and that's that Win 10 upgrades are locked to that single hardware machine and non-transferable if that machine should die and you end up getting a new one.

But, the Win SuperSite folks say:

Q. What if I bought a retail license [for Win 7 or 8] that was purchased online or in a store - does the system upgraded to the free Windows 10 upgrade remain licensed as a retail license?

A. YES.

Q. If I purchased my copy of Windows 7 or 8/8.1 as a retail license from either a brick-and-mortar store or an online store, then I upgrade to Windows 10, can I transfer that upgrade to a new computer under the retail licensing?

A. YES

Reusing the Windows 7 / 8 / 8.1 keys to transfer the original retail licence from one PC to a second PC is another matter. If your EULA allowed transferring the install/activation then you should continue to be able to do so once you've deactivating any previous install utilizing that license (or associated subsequent Digital Entitlement).

Just remember that the ability to upgrade to Windows 10 "for free" is supposed to EXPIRE after 29 July 2015.

I haven't yet read about anyone actually transferring their Windows 10 Upgrade Licence (actually, Digital Entitlement) from one system to a second system, though I would suspect you'd have to re-install the ORIGINAL Windows 7 / 8 / 8/.1 OS on the second system (and then directly communicate with Microsoft notifying them you've uninstalled it from any previous system).

Microsoft Licensing Terms -- Windows Operating System

Last updated July 2015

note that EULA may vary by region or country

Microsoft breaks down Windows 10’s EULA

Digital Trands | By Jon Martindale | July 17, 2015
So, don't forget the free Windows 10 upgrade is only valid till 29 July 2016.
Check out the comment section on this Therrott column, especially the comment by Ben Stones to Santiago Fernández Devoto • 3 months ago
Therrott, News & Analysis for Tech Enthusiasts | by Paul Thurrott | July 22, 2015 -- with 326 Comments

I have W 10 Pro & a Samsung SSD HDD.

The Samsung Magician was installed.

Now, after booting it states that the Magician is not there.

It seems that they are correct.

I have researched the web to no avail.

How do I rectify the problem?

I had a few problems with the November update. My laptop would not shut down without doing a hard power off and there was some really funky stuff going on with the wireless connection that had to be sorted out after every restart or power up. They seem to have been resolved with a few further updates.

As FYI, in this thread we also talked about getting the Win 10 November Upgrade (a.k.a., ver -1511 Build 10586, Threshold, Service Pack) via the Microsoft Media Creation Tool if you had not already received the Upgrade via Windows update.

As of 22 Nov the MCT no longer includes the upgrade...Microsoft quietly pulled the upgrade from the MCT downloads and now the upgrade will only come the regular, intended way which is via Windows update.

See this ThaiVisa post for more

• 1 year later...
On ‎21‎/‎8‎/‎2558 at 0:29 AM, jacnl2000 said:

Correction:

VS2005 compilation works on Windows 10, but as soon as C++ sourcecode is loaded in the VS2005 debugger then the Windows 10 operating system stops, becomes totally inoperable, forcing me to push the power button in order to regain control of the laptop. Personally it's definitely not a fully workable combination.

Can confirm to have received some VS2005 updates via Windows Updates mechanism of Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit.

Btw. not only do I like to revive an old thread like this one, but also relative old VS compilers when running most recent available version of Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit. So, next to VS2005 IDE also managed ( with help of available information on the internet ) to install and run Visual Studio 6.0 Professional and Visual Studio 2002 .NET Standard Edition in combination with a successful install of .NET Framework 1.0. Wrote a sample in VC++ which builds and runs smoothly both in Debug and Release Win32 modes in VS6.0 as well as VS2002 .NET environments. VS2002 .NET is an IDE that only targets .NET Framework 1.0. At that time when users wanted to target its successor .NET Framework 1.1 they were forced by Microsoft to buy ( thus to upgrade ) to VS2003.

Current update status on my test machine running Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit:

"Some update files are missing or have problems. We'll try to download the update again later.

Error code: (0x80073712)"

For some reason "Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3199986)" keeps on cycling for months now while it installs perfectly well on other machines. Anyone knows why and what to do?

Edited by jacnl2000