Upgraded to Win 10 Today/29 July Without Issue

Pib

Microsoft now have another page where Win 10 ISO's can be downloaded directly. Easier than the Media Creation tool.

Multi language, 32 or 64 bit. Whichever ISO you choose, it will include both Home and Professional. So if doing an upgrade will need to select the correct version during setup according to your present installation.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench

Thanks again.

Downloading at up to 1.4 MB/sec.

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding running the "sfc /scannow command," after going to the Cmd prompt unless you are in the /windows/system32 folder when at the Cmd prompt it may not run....switch to the /windows/system32 folder, then enter the sfc /scannow command and it will run.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

For various versions of Windows there has been "command" or "cmd" from the start menu to get the prompt. I reported that I got it by typing cmd and hitting enter. That brought it up but not as administrator.

I just typed in command, and got the icon above, right-clicked and chose "run as administrator". Now I can run sfc just from that prompt without changing directories.

Cheers.

post-164212-0-79857200-1438525456_thumb.

Edited by NeverSure

I have since found out when right clicking the Windows icon in the lower left hand corner when it pops up you are offered a choice between "Command Prompt" and "Command Prompt (Admin)". Must be sure to select the right one.

Selecting the later will put you in the correct folder of C:\windows\system32 where the "sfc /scannow" command will run. But if selecting the "Command Prompt selection you will end up in your particular User Account folder (whatever user name you created for yourself) where the sfc /scannow commend will "not" run from and you will not be in the elevated admin status to run certain commands.

With respect to Win 10, I believe it is something they need rather than you.

They want to get rid of those needy lower Windows users, like me. quite content here using Vista!

i fail completely to understand why you would be content running an almost 10 year old operating system.

The age is irrelevant, it works, mostly better than my Win 7 one, and the hardware probably isn't worth upgrading.

It was only updated a few days ago by Microsoft support.

I have a truck outside that is of similar age... I see no need to upgrade that.

I fail to understand why people feel a need to have the latest and greatest......... I must be a peaceful Luddite.

I partially agree with you but there is another perspective. WinXp was fine. Many, like me, would have considered Vista but from an operational view point it sucks. Sorry, this not indictment on you, just the evolution of OS. When Win7 came out I found many XP features enhanced and so jumped over vista. Vista is buggy, shaky, unreliable, and serious program compatibility issues, i found. Win7 was perfect. I still think so.

Win8 struck me as a vista pig. It sucked. It was trying to force me into a world I did not want to belong, apps and social tools. I just want a local OS than can also be a gateway. Win7 did that. Win10 presumably tries to marry these two realities- microsoft wanting to access the closed app social world that Apple enjoys and the reality that its consumer base is its consumer base and not Apple's because they do not want to jump into that social app world- indeed, if they did, they would already be Apple clients. MS tried to then merge its business model future apps across platforms in a closed loop like Apple===Win8 with the reality that numerous people like me prefer windows 7 because we dont want that crap.

The marketing of win10 actually makes this quite clear. Win10 will have the familiar this and that button, etc, ad naseum. However, I have thus far found win10 unappealing. All my first actions are to reduce it as far as possible to a win7 UI. I run this in a virtualbox and am glad I am. Numerous reports are coming in suggesting this is an early debacle. They raced to release and win10 is filled with headaches.

I seem to have got my Vista working pretty smoothly after the 8 years I have had it.

I am loathe to throw away all those years of effort and experience.

As stated my Win7 machine is more of an aggravation to me, sluggish when first started up.

When my pad and Win 7 machines both upgrade to Win10 I am expecting to still prefer this old Vista clunker! Although you have just persuaded me to hold back on that until more evaluation has been done.

Here's an odd wrinkle to add to the mix...

Re my main desktop computer, which is running a fully licensed/legal U.S. version of Windows 7 Home Premium, I've had the Win 10 reservation made on my PC for weeks, and the little Win 10 applet showing that my desktop is fully compatible with no hardware or incompatible software installed.

So today, I checked my Windows Update history screen, and discovered to my surprise that apparently Win Update has been trying to install Win 10 on my PC for the past 4 consecutive days, and failed each time. But, during that entire time, I've never been prompted to permit the installation, nor had I received any notification that the Win 10 installs had been attempted and failed. All of that occurring entirely invisibly behind the scenes, except when I happened to look at my Windows Update install history.

In fact, today, when I click the little Win 10 update icon in my taskbar, it still says Win 10 should be arriving soon for my PC.... What the F***???

Since I posted this yesterday, no one else here has reported any comparable experience. Dunno if that's because no one's had it, or, no one's bothered to look at their Windows Update install history page.

In any event, when I looked at my SECOND machine last night, a Windows 7 laptop that's also fully legal with plenty of available hard disk space, I found the exact same pattern/history of failed Win 10 install attempts. And again, never any prompt to me to actually OK the Win 10 install, and zero notice to me on my laptop that any of this had been occurring behind the scenes.

post-58284-0-76914200-1438573984_thumb.j

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

The age is irrelevant, it works, mostly better than my Win 7 one, and the hardware probably isn't worth upgrading.

I fail to understand why people feel a need to have the latest and greatest......... I must be a peaceful Luddite.

I partially agree with you but there is another perspective. WinXp was fine. Many, like me, would have considered Vista but from an operational view point it sucks. Sorry, this not indictment on you, just the evolution of OS. When Win7 came out I found many XP features enhanced and so jumped over vista. Vista is buggy, shaky, unreliable, and serious program compatibility issues, i found. Win7 was perfect. I still think so.

Win8 struck me as a vista pig. It sucked. It was trying to force me into a world I did not want to belong, apps and social tools. I just want a local OS than can also be a gateway. Win7 did that. Win10 presumably tries to marry these two realities- microsoft wanting to access the closed app social world that Apple enjoys and the reality that its consumer base is its consumer base and not Apple's because they do not want to jump into that social app world- indeed, if they did, they would already be Apple clients. MS tried to then merge its business model future apps across platforms in a closed loop like Apple===Win8 with the reality that numerous people like me prefer windows 7 because we dont want that crap.

The marketing of win10 actually makes this quite clear. Win10 will have the familiar this and that button, etc, ad naseum. However, I have thus far found win10 unappealing. All my first actions are to reduce it as far as possible to a win7 UI. I run this in a virtualbox and am glad I am. Numerous reports are coming in suggesting this is an early debacle. They raced to release and win10 is filled with headaches.

I seem to have got my Vista working pretty smoothly after the 8 years I have had it.

As stated my Win7 machine is more of an aggravation to me, sluggish when first started up.

When my pad and Win 7 machines both upgrade to Win10 I am expecting to still prefer this old Vista clunker! Although you have just persuaded me to hold back on that until more evaluation has been done.

If you are this happy I advise you prevent win10 from automatically installing and ruining your day. You should ID the previous update that is paving the way for the auto update of windows 10. If a concern, perhaps you might look into this. I did and I removed the prior update that enables later auto upgrade to win10. I will wait until the screaming is too loud of microsoft to manage and they change windows 10. I think it sucks. Its vulnerable. It is loaded with privacy exposures. It maintains your identity across platforms and through the internet and therefore would apply even if using a vpn. No, this OS is a big wooden horse for marketing.

I'm happy to report that the upgrade to Win10 Pro on my desktop computer went quite smoothly. I downloaded the .ISO, created a USB drive and installed from that. From clicking on the setup.exe file to final display of the Win10 desktop was just under 25 minutes.

Based on comments I've read on it being tricky to change default apps, during the upgrade process I unchecked all the boxes for recommended default apps. I also took time to evaluate (and uncheck most of) the privacy options

Still exploring how things work and where things are, but I've noticed a few "improvements" that I'm not fond of yet:

• unable to not display the Action Center icon in the taskbar
  • no longer able to set taskbar icons to display only when there are notifications - now the icons display all the time, or never
  • haven't figured out yet how to remove the arrow on desktop shortcuts - the registry hack that worked in previous versions doesn't work any more
  • even Win10 Pro doesn't let you control whether Windows Updates automatically checks & downloads?
  • the default Explorer shortcut in the task bar defaults to "Recent files"
  • clicking on the network icon in the task bar to connect to my VPN now involves four clicks, versus three

But, overall it seems okay.

Now, if I could just get my notebook to upgrade...

I came across a post on another forum where someone had the same "Something Happened" error during upgrade from Win 8.1. They had tried both the update method and with an ISO made with the Media Creation Tool but got the same error. However after downloading and installing an ISO directly from MS the upgrade completed normally. Perhaps it's worth a try.

Microsoft now have another page where Win 10 ISO's can be downloaded directly. Easier than the Media Creation tool.

Multi language, 32 or 64 bit. Whichever ISO you choose, it will include both Home and Professional. So if doing an upgrade will need to select the correct version during setup according to your present installation.

Thanks for that link. I'm pinning some hopes that it will be The Answer, but...

Originally, I read your post while I was test driving Edge. The download of the .ISO file was interrupted/failed (I forget the term presented) about six times and I would opt to resume the download. After the download completed, the file was corrupt.

Then I downloaded the .ISO file with my reliable Opera 12 browser. Again, the download would stop and I'd have to resume the download. After the download completed, the file was not corrupt, but after creating a USB drive from the file, when I ran setup.exe I got a "Failed to launch the setup application" Windows Setup error.

I've tried six more times, using Edge, Chrome or Opera to download the .ISO file in one fell swoop, but can't. The download repeatedly gets interrupted. If I finally get it to run, I'll report back with results.

[edited to add:]

I notice that when choosing the language, it offers different choices than the download tool. The download tool offers "English [uK]" and "English [uS]" whereas the microsoft.com link offers "English" and "English International." I'm assuming that since microsoft.com is in the US, that "English" = "English [uS]," but not 100% confident about that.

Edited by wpcoe

Thanks for that link. I'm pinning some hopes that it will be The Answer, but...

Originally, I read your post while I was test driving Edge. The download of the .ISO file was interrupted/failed (I forget the term presented) about six times and I would opt to resume the download. After the download completed, the file was corrupt.

Then I downloaded the .ISO file with my reliable Opera 12 browser. Again, the download would stop and I'd have to resume the download. After the download completed, the file was not corrupt, but after creating a USB drive from the file, when I ran setup.exe I got a "Failed to launch the setup application" Windows Setup error.

I've tried six more times, using Edge, Chrome or Opera to download the .ISO file in one fell swoop, but can't. The download repeatedly gets interrupted. If I finally get it to run, I'll report back with results.

[edited to add:]

I notice that when choosing the language, it offers different choices than the download tool. The download tool offers "English [uK]" and "English [uS]" whereas the microsoft.com link offers "English" and "English International." I'm assuming that since microsoft.com is in the US, that "English" = "English [uS]," but not 100% confident about that.

I have only downloaded the ISO from there once and didn't have any problem though it was much slower than normal. Seemed to be capped at about 500KB/s. Perhaps the servers are under heavy load.

Did you try mounting the ISO that wasn't corrupt rather than copying to a USB? That definitely works. I normally have ISO's located on a network share, mount them from there then run setup and have no problem. I only use a USB for clean installs. Not that there should be any problem upgrading from a USB drive....

Re the language, that had me completely confused. I had to search quite a bit and mainly came up with queries from others equally confused. But you are right, English is English US. Apparently MS have had a naming convention change.

ENGLISH = EN-US

ENGLISH INTERNATIONAL = EN-GB (or EN-UK)

Here's an odd wrinkle to add to the mix...

Re my main desktop computer, which is running a fully licensed/legal U.S. version of Windows 7 Home Premium, I've had the Win 10 reservation made on my PC for weeks, and the little Win 10 applet showing that my desktop is fully compatible with no hardware or incompatible software installed.

So today, I checked my Windows Update history screen, and discovered to my surprise that apparently Win Update has been trying to install Win 10 on my PC for the past 4 consecutive days, and failed each time. But, during that entire time, I've never been prompted to permit the installation, nor had I received any notification that the Win 10 installs had been attempted and failed. All of that occurring entirely invisibly behind the scenes, except when I happened to look at my Windows Update install history.

In fact, today, when I click the little Win 10 update icon in my taskbar, it still says Win 10 should be arriving soon for my PC.... What the F***???

Since I posted this yesterday, no one else here has reported any comparable experience. Dunno if that's because no one's had it, or, no one's bothered to look at their Windows Update install history page.

In any event, when I looked at my SECOND machine last night, a Windows 7 laptop that's also fully legal with plenty of available hard disk space, I found the exact same pattern/history of failed Win 10 install attempts. And again, never any prompt to me to actually OK the Win 10 install, and zero notice to me on my laptop that any of this had been occurring behind the scenes.

attachicon.gifWin 10 Update Fails on Toshiba.jpg

The same happened to me, so I downloaded & ran the media creation tool and ran it to create an install disk which I used to upgrade from windows 7 pro to windows 10 pro. It worked no problem. The same disk can be used to do a clean install of windows 10, once you have been through the upgrade process on that machine. I tested this and ended up with a clean build. I didn't supply a product key during the entire process...just entered "skip" when it asked for the key.

Edited by mxyzptlk

I,ve just downloaded and installed win 10 from 8.1 no problems everything seems fine but my pc memory before was 9.6 and now only 3...........why please?

Have you installed the 32 bit version or 64 bit version?

Edited by mxyzptlk

I have only downloaded the ISO from there once and didn't have any problem though it was much slower than normal. Seemed to be capped at about 500KB/s. Perhaps the servers are under heavy load.

I started a pair of downloads at 500pm today, one on my Win8.1 notebook and one on my Win10 desktop computer. There were times where they were simultaneously downloading between 400KB/s and 500KB/s. However, both stopped and had to be resumed many times. The notebook, for example, in the last 10% of the download had to be restarted over a dozen times.

I had been blaming my internet connection, but for a period of time where the desktop download was zooming along at 10-15KB/s (80 to 120kbps), I did a speedtest.net test to Los Angeles and obtained: 230ms, 9.47Mbps, .56Mbps. During the speed test I watched the download remain at 10-15KB/s.

The notebook's download finally finished at 1015pm, 5.25 hours after it started. At 1030pm the desktop's download was only 47.6% (I didn't monitor the desktop screen as often for when the download would stop) so I terminated it to save the strain on Microsoft's servers.

Did you try mounting the ISO that wasn't corrupt rather than copying to a USB? That definitely works. I normally have ISO's located on a network share, mount them from there then run setup and have no problem. I only use a USB for clean installs. Not that there should be any problem upgrading from a USB drive....

I just now copied the .ISO file from the USB drive to the notebook. Once the file copied on to the notebook computer, it was corrupted. I could view the contents from the .ISO still on the USB drive but not from the notebook.

Next, I tried transferring the file across the network from the desktop computer (where it was downloaded) to the notebook computer. I checked and could view the files in the ISO file on the desktop computer, but after the file was copied to the notebook, the file was corrupted.

I'm beginning to think my computers and/or I are operating under some curse: Now, the original ISO file on my desktop computer is corrupt! Yes, it is the file that minutes ago I could read the contents with File Explorer. Now it's corrupt. The ISO file on the thumb drive -- also corrupted now. ???

Anyway, now that I have a freshly download .ISO file on the notebook computer, I mounted it and the installation process still terminated with the "Something happened" window saying "Windows 10 installation has failed" at the 24% point.

Re the language, that had me completely confused. I had to search quite a bit and mainly came up with queries from others equally confused. But you are right, English is English US. Apparently MS have had a naming convention change.

ENGLISH = EN-US

ENGLISH INTERNATIONAL = EN-GB (or EN-UK)

Thanks for confirming that. At least that can be eliminated as a source of the errors.

I,ve just downloaded and installed win 10 from 8.1 no problems everything seems fine but my pc memory before was 9.6 and now only 3...........why please?

Dunno........it detected and loaded automatically-my guess is that after the one month trial it will ask do I want to stay with 10 or revert back to 8.1 and if I stay with 10 it will delete whats obsolete from 8.1 and I will retrieve more ram-but who knows whistling.gif

If you are this happy I advise you prevent win10 from automatically installing and ruining your day. You should ID the previous update that is paving the way for the auto update of windows 10. If a concern, perhaps you might look into this. I did and I removed the prior update that enables later auto upgrade to win10. I will wait until the screaming is too loud of microsoft to manage and they change windows 10. I think it sucks. Its vulnerable. It is loaded with privacy exposures. It maintains your identity across platforms and through the internet and therefore would apply even if using a vpn. No, this OS is a big wooden horse for marketing.

I fail to see how it's a marketing stunt when they're giving it away for free and mine works fine...

You can unchecked the boxes if your think it's a privacy concern but I'm sure Microsoft and Google have our data already whether they will admit to that or not

Dunno........it detected and loaded automatically-my guess is that after the one month trial it will ask do I want to stay with 10 or revert back to 8.1 and if I stay with 10 it will delete whats obsolete from 8.1 and I will retrieve more ram-but who knows whistling.gif

If the ram isn't available now it still won't be in a month

If you are on the 32 it version it will never get to use 10GB of ram

3.5gb is all the system will get in w32 no matter what you delete

I fail to see how it's a marketing stunt when they're giving it away for free and mine works fine...

You can unchecked the boxes if your think it's a privacy concern but I'm sure Microsoft and Google have our data already whether they will admit to that or not

Ok. Whether you see or not it remains true that win10 is highly suspect. I spent the last hour trying to access my win10 virtual just to try to set up a local account rather than use it while actively engaged with a MS account. I finally gave up for today. Win10 is garbage, to me. If you believe they are "giving it away for free" then I wish you joy. It remains obvious that nothing is free. This OS may duplicate behaviors noted elsewhere but it is doing so in a fully expanded way, and its location is very local- in the central inner core of where our most private and vital life lies- behind our PC firewall- not the other side.

Example: The non tech guy who installed win10 then left the PC on went to bed while win10 collected and arranged, without his knowledge, all his photos into slideshows, including his buried porno collection. His wife woke in the AM to a porno background screensaver. Funny, but it was not for that man and his wife (maybe it was but he bitched online). This just scratches the surface. It is a total awareness product and each day confirms this more and more. However, with such evident abuses so early on software spinoffs are soon to follow locking down privacy settings beyond the few MS permits.

Goolge may have your data but it does not have mine. It may occasionally get data from an IP address but this too would vary. Perhaps this applies to you. With win10 it applies equally to all.

After waiting since July 29th, I decided to take the plunge and use the Media Creation Tool. Found the link here and prepared a blank DVD and had my serial ready.

1 - Download the whole file at full speed (2MBs) in 20-25 minutes.

2 - Then downloaded updates

3 - The big surprise: no dvd or serial needed. It installed it in one shot. Just sit back and relax.

Until now no issues at all. Only when I sent a email through the new app, it uses January 1, 1601.

All in all .. a very good experience.

Edited by sniffdog

After waiting since July 29th, I decided to take the plunge and use the Media Creation Tool. Found the link here and prepared a blank DVD and had my serial ready.

1 - Download the whole file at full speed (2MBs) in 20-25 minutes.

2 - Then downloaded updates

3 - The big surprise: no dvd or serial needed. It installed it in one shot. Just sit back and relax.

Until now no issues at all. Only when I sent a email through the new app, it uses January 1, 1601.

All in all .. a very good experience.

Exactly the same as me lol... Happy to be on the latest version and it was free and easy... If Microsoft wanted to steal my data I believe they could have done it just as easily when I was on previous versions anyway....

For everyone who doesn't want it, I guess the simple answer is, don't get it :)

I just now copied the .ISO file from the USB drive to the notebook. Once the file copied on to the notebook computer, it was corrupted. I could view the contents from the .ISO still on the USB drive but not from the notebook.

Next, I tried transferring the file across the network from the desktop computer (where it was downloaded) to the notebook computer. I checked and could view the files in the ISO file on the desktop computer, but after the file was copied to the notebook, the file was corrupted.

I'm beginning to think my computers and/or I are operating under some curse: Now, the original ISO file on my desktop computer is corrupt! Yes, it is the file that minutes ago I could read the contents with File Explorer. Now it's corrupt. The ISO file on the thumb drive -- also corrupted now. ???

Anyway, now that I have a freshly download .ISO file on the notebook computer, I mounted it and the installation process still terminated with the "Something happened" window saying "Windows 10 installation has failed" at the 24% point.

Sounds very frustrating. The corrupt ISO problem sounds strange. Do you think the SSD in your notebook might have issues? I can't think of anything else.

I have only ever had one SSD failure and on the way out it did exhibit some weird behaviour. Quite different to an HDD failure and took me a while to realise what was going on.

I surrendered.

I wiped the hard drive on the notebook and did a clean install of Win8.1, activated it, then (successfully!) updated it to Win10, then wiped the hard drive again and did a clean install of Win10. It was not clear sailing -- several bumps on that road, too.

So, now I have a fully functional Win10 Pro on my desktop computer, and a 90% (don't ask!) functional Win10 Home on my notebook computer. Whew.

I would caution that if you are running any pirated MS software, such as office, etc., or even any other stuff such as adobe, that you may find your software disabled if the new software has a way to verify and check those things.

They disabled my pirated Office software so I downloaded Libre Office for free. Have to say it's not quite as good as MS but legit and for free????

I understand from my son that Open Office works very well as a replacement of Windows Word. He has used it off and on for years and had never any problems with matching to Windows

If using Libre Office or Open Office, in settings change the default save format to .docx for Wordfiles, .pptx for Presentation and .xlsx for spreadsheets. The default save format as .odt is a pain.

Just upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10.. easy peace of cake, nothing to worry about.. BUT..

WORK STARTS NOW.. if you do not want Microsoft to know more about you than you know yourself, start changing settings..

Press "Windows + I", go to "Data Protection" and look through all that stuff there.. most settings need deactivation, if you do not need them, i.e. personalized advertising, use of camery / mic by app's, app can send SMS / MMS etc etc.. AND activate "Do not track" for your browsers.. then start Edge and change the settings there also..

AND you need to do this for EVERY user on your computer, starting with the Admin user! Just google a bit, there are lot of articles about "good" data protetion settings for Windows 10

BTW: My McAffee Total Protection keeps on running, unlike some others have mentioned with their AV solutions

Just upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10.. easy peace of cake, nothing to worry about.. BUT..

WORK STARTS NOW.. if you do not want Microsoft to know more about you than you know yourself, start changing settings..

Press "Windows + I", go to "Data Protection" and look through all that stuff there.. most settings need deactivation, if you do not need them, i.e. personalized advertising, use of camery / mic by app's, app can send SMS / MMS etc etc.. AND activate "Do not track" for your browsers.. then start Edge and change the settings there also..

AND you need to do this for EVERY user on your computer, starting with the Admin user! Just google a bit, there are lot of articles about "good" data protetion settings for Windows 10

BTW: My McAffee Total Protection keeps on running, unlike some others have mentioned with their AV solutions

Nothing to worry about?

http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-cumulative-update-causes-reboot-loop-havoc-for-some-users/

http://goo.gl/p1KxCR

I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot barge pole until they let you turn off all updates.

Nothing to worry about?

http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-cumulative-update-causes-reboot-loop-havoc-for-some-users/

http://goo.gl/p1KxCR

I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot barge pole until they let you turn off all updates.

Talked about what I did and experienced during installation

Could not care less about what you think or do.

Some initial problems always occur, but given the fact that major players (i.e. computer media websites) did not tear W10 apart so far is a good sign for Microsoft