Upgraded to Win 10 Today/29 July Without Issue

Pib

And the OP for this thread I thought I would give an update on the three problems/issues I discovered a day or so after upgrading from Win 8.1 Home Single Language to Win 10. I have mentioned those problems/issues in other posts in this thread so I will try to give an update. The problems/issues will be a little long winded to fully describe the situation and how I got them resolved...may be helpful to those having the same or very similar problem. I also talk about my calls/chat sessions with the MS Answer Desk Level 1 and Level 2 technicians.

As earlier described the upgrade only took 24 minutes on 29 Jul...the first day Win 10 was released...the upgrade occurred by me just clicking the Get Win 10 icon in my task bar which said I could now upgrade...all the Win 10 install files had automatically downloaded to my computer.

After the easy and quick install/upgrade and after playing with my computer and apps for a few hours I noticed email would not leave my Outlook outbox although Outlook could receive email and if doing a Test email in the Outlook email accounts setup the test email would leave the outbox...but for an email I would write, it would not leave the outbox. Started an online chat session with the MS Answer Desk, I got really lucking and got a technician that knew how to fix it because he said he had just fixed another customer's Outlook "mail stuck in the outbox problem" and the tech said this problem appeared to be an emerging problem for some folks using Outlook and upgrading to Win 10. And that fix was going to the Command Prompt (Admin) and then running the command "sfc /scannow". Actually he took remote control of my computer and ran the command as I watched. SFC stands for system file check. The sfc command scanned the disk in about 10 minutes, found and fixed some corrupt files (it don't say what files). I then check Outlook again and mail was now leaving the outbox. Problem fixed. And actually the outbox issued returned when I reloaded Win 10 in working below backup imaging problem...I ran the sfc /scannow command and it fixed the Outlook problem again. Now on to my second problem.

Then the next day since Win 10 seemed to be working fine I decided to create an image backup using the Windows built-in Create System Image/Backup module....I use it all the time...do regular backups on all three of my laptops. Well, on the first image backup it appeared to run fine...took about 30 minutes which is normal for the amount of data I have to backup and based on many previous backups I've timed. After creating the image backup I tried mounting the image backup files (really just vhdx files...virtual hard drive files) using File Explorer...I do this all time. But the image would not mount...I would get an error message giving a variety of possible problems causing it not to mount. I then decided to try the Create System Image backup again, and this time (and for the first time I've ever seen this) the image backup completed in a mere 1 minute....way, way too fast. I tried to mount the image files again and once again the error. Repeated attempts to do an image and mount the image as a check where not working right/occurring way too fast/giving an error message when trying to mount them.

Now when I tried to mount the image backup files I had created with Win 8.1 they would mount no problem. Something was just wrong with the image backups created by Win 10. The next day I once again started an online chat session with the MS Answer Desk. This time I was "not" lucky in getting a sharp tech...the first tech I got I think was mentally challenged...I think I knew more than the tech did....after about 15 minutes of this chat session I closed it out and decided I would try back in hopes of getting someone with at least a normal IQ level. I waited about an hour, started another online chat session and got another tech, who was a little better but I could tell was really reading from script telling me of possible problems, etc. I steered this chat session in a way to where they referred my problem to a Level 2 tech who would call me back. Generally, the techs you initially get in a chat session is just a Level 1 tech and using the word "tech" for these folks is being generous. An appointment for the following evening at time X was setup for the Level 2 tech to call me...they had two of my phone numbers to call. The next evening at the appointed time frame, I got no phone call. But about 30 minutes later I got an email from a Level 2 tech who said he had tried to call but there was no answer. I responded back both phones are right next to me...neither rang. I got another email back again from the tech who said he tried again but no one answered...once again I replied to the email that no call was received....phones right next to me...gave him the two numbers again.

So I went to the MS Answer Desk and instead of starting a chat session I left a request for them to call me back with one of my numbers so I could check if Level 1 techs could reach me. When you submit that it tells you approximately how many minutes it will be before the call back will occur and it's a pretty accurate estimate based on my experience. I then did the same thing again but leaving my other phone number for a call back so I could test both numbers. I got a call back at the appointed times which proved my phones were working fine for a Level 1 tech call back but apparently the Level 2 tech couldn't reach either of my numbers. I bent the ear of the first Level 1 tech that called back, explained the problem, gave them my trouble ticket number (it describes the problem) where the Level 2 tech was suppose to call me back. They looked it up in their system...apologized for the Level 2 tech not calling...scheduled the call again for tomorrow evening and said a supervisor was now following this trouble ticket number. A little later I also got the MS Answer Desk call back to my other number but cut that call short. So, both numbers work fine.

The next evening I did get a call from a Level 2 tech...he took remote control of the computer...downloaded/installed Win 10 again...still didn't fix the problem. That went on for 4 hours. We decided to quit for the day and he would call back tomorrow to continue to work the problem...he called back...took control of the computer again...tried creating a new User test account on my computer, and then running the Create System Image from that account instead of my normal account...a couple hours later it was determine the same problem still exist. He now said he was off for the next two days and would call me back Saturday at the appointed time...he didn't call back...he did not call on Sunday at that time period either...nor Monday...he never called back to this day. Pretty much left me hanging.

I actually downloaded the Win 10 ISO files and did another install...that didn't help. But yesterday as I described in another thread I stumbled upon the cause of the problem and fix from a "Win 7" blog/post from mid last year. Reading that year-old post also jogged some of my memory cells where I had had a related problem with Win 7 about 5 years ago in plugging in an external drive but it not appearing with a drive letter/in File Explorer. Anyway, the fix was to manually create a disk letter for the image using the Windows Disk Management module...it turned out when using Disk Management it showed the image was indeed mounting when I thought it wasn't but a disk letter was not automatically being created as suppose to occur which caused the error message and making it not visible in File Manager....it's just a glitch that sometime occurs even for earlier Windows operating systems such as Win 7. I manually assigned a disk letter...like magic I could now see the image in File Explorer. So I unmount the image, try mounting it again and it automatically mounts without the error message, I can see the image in File Manager now, review the files in the image, all is good. Did several additional Create System Images and they all took the normal time of approx 30 minutes to run and they would mount/appear properly. Problem fixed...the problem was not really a Win 10 problem since the problem can appear in any version of Windows you use, although it was the Win 10 upgrade that lit the fuse for the problem to occur this time. Problem fixed but I had to find the fix....the MS Anwser Desk Level 1 and Level 2 techs where unable to fix the problem and as mentioned the Level 2 tech stopped calling back...and I was always polite in all conversations with the MS Answer Desk techs. Each time the techs were based in Manila...even when I started the chat session with a U.S. IP address...always ended up in communicating with MS's support center in the Philippines. I expect everyone's results by contacting the MS Answer Desk vary all over map...some successful...some not so. Now on to my third and final problem which really isn't a problem...just more of an issue with an app.

I only have one known remaining minor "app" issue under Win 10 and that with a Samsung app called Magician Ver 4.6 (the latest version) that is used with my Samsung 840EVO SSD....you don't have to install/use the app...it's just one of those apps that gives you some additional features for use with your Samsung SSD such as diagnostics, optimization of the SSD settings, SMART info, Rapid Mode to increase the SSD speed a little via use of some of your RAM memory, etc. Anyway, all the features of the Magician app were working after the Win 10 upgrade to include the Rapid Mode. But during my troubleshooting of the imaging problem described above I turned off Rapid Mode (like I've done numerous times before), and when I tried to turn Rapid Mode back on (like I've done numerous times), it would not turn back on...you would see a message saying some Operating System Info couldn't be identified so Rapid Mode couldn't be turned back on. I did some googling and found others using Samsung 840 and 850 SSDs were experiencing the same problem. Some had found reverting to Magician Ver 4.4 then Rapid Mode would work again but for others it wouldn't. And trying Ver 4.5 didn't work for anyone to get Rapid Mode working again. A couple of posts which said Samsung is aware of the problem and working an update to the Magician app...maybe to be released in late August/this month if those posters were really told that by Samsung...nothing on the Samsung support website about the issue...time will tell. So this problem is not fixed and not really a problem because the Magician app don't even have to be installed/used as it just an app that adds some nice features to make using the Samsung SSD easier and make the SSD a little faster if wanting to use Rapid Mode which I have used for 6 months with zero problems. I didn't try loading version 4.4....I'll just continue to use ver 4.6 although the Rapid Mode can not be used in the app as it won't turn on now....basically the app is like 90% capable/working normally with the exception of it's Rapid Mode setting. So, if you are Samsung SSD user and use the Magician app, you might not want to turn off the Rapid Mode as you may not be able to get it turn back on.

Whew...my fingers are tired....hope of some of this info might be helpful to some. Cheers.

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10.. easy peace of cake, nothing to worry about.. BUT..

WORK STARTS NOW.. if you do not want Microsoft to know more about you than you know yourself, start changing settings..

Press "Windows + I", go to "Data Protection" and look through all that stuff there.. most settings need deactivation, if you do not need them, i.e. personalized advertising, use of camery / mic by app's, app can send SMS / MMS etc etc.. AND activate "Do not track" for your browsers.. then start Edge and change the settings there also..

AND you need to do this for EVERY user on your computer, starting with the Admin user! Just google a bit, there are lot of articles about "good" data protetion settings for Windows 10

BTW: My McAffee Total Protection keeps on running, unlike some others have mentioned with their AV solutions

Nothing to worry about?

http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-cumulative-update-causes-reboot-loop-havoc-for-some-users/

http://goo.gl/p1KxCR

I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot barge pole until they let you turn off all updates.

If you go to Services and disable Windows Update that will turn off all updates.

The Pro version allows changing update options through Group Policy.

Though I don't know why MS made it more difficult than it needs to be.

Just upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10.. easy peace of cake, nothing to worry about.. BUT..

WORK STARTS NOW.. if you do not want Microsoft to know more about you than you know yourself, start changing settings..

Press "Windows + I", go to "Data Protection" and look through all that stuff there.. most settings need deactivation, if you do not need them, i.e. personalized advertising, use of camery / mic by app's, app can send SMS / MMS etc etc.. AND activate "Do not track" for your browsers.. then start Edge and change the settings there also..

AND you need to do this for EVERY user on your computer, starting with the Admin user! Just google a bit, there are lot of articles about "good" data protetion settings for Windows 10

BTW: My McAffee Total Protection keeps on running, unlike some others have mentioned with their AV solutions

Nothing to worry about?

http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-cumulative-update-causes-reboot-loop-havoc-for-some-users/

I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot barge pole until they let you turn off all updates.

Talked about what I did and experienced during installation

Could not care less about what you think or do.

Some initial problems always occur, but given the fact that major players (i.e. computer media websites) did not tear W10 apart so far is a good sign for Microsoft

You obviously have not been reading the same "computer media websites" as me.

Nothing to worry about?

If you go to Services and disable Windows Update that will turn off all updates.

Yes, I read on some websites that this works, and on others that it doesn't. Have you actually tried it yourself?

Nothing to worry about?

It gives me the options of changing to "disable" or "manual". I chose manual and that has been working. I set my calendar to pop up every 1 week and remind me to check. I HATE it, LOL, when I try to reboot my computer and unexpectedly updates begin to install.

BTW I just noticed when checking that, that I have Win 10 Home. This is a Toshiba laptop that shipped with valid, factory installed 8 Pro which updated fine to 8.1 Pro. Now I have to find out if I got ripped or what. I haven't heard this one before. Since this thread is about upgrading I hope I'm not off topic. I have some studying to do to find out whassup.

Cheers.

Well, I just removed Win 10, got the auto upgrade etc and the upgrade went fine, then the laptop (new) started running slow, took awhile to start-up etc, then emails started having problems, but by far the worst issue that led me to removing it was FTP problems publishing to the server, I just couldnt connect to my server (USA) and the connection kept timing out, checked all relevant settings etc, had my server/domain host work with me on two occasions and bolied it down to being an operating software issue.

Removed Win 10, back to Win 8.1 and all the issues disappeared. For me, I am sticking with the old addage "if it aint broke, dont try to fix it" so, I will be giving it at least 6 months or more before even considering giving it another try, hopefully Microsoft will have ironed out some of the obvious kinks people are experiencing.

And the OP for this thread I thought I would give an update

<snip>

Wow! Excellent post, Pib, but doesn't really give me any confidence to try it! I think I'll wait 6 months or so.

Thanks. I can understand the reluctance to upgrade so soon after release of another OS and how easy it can be to fall into the Microsoft and media hype of how great the new OS which also implies the upgrade will be easy and fast. We heard that same hype with the Vista and Win 8.0 releases, both of which MS had to immediately go into damage control and releasing the next OS much soon than they had planned.

Vista was a nightmare for me (and many others) mainly because the many computer software and hardware companies did not have fully compatible software and drivers when Vista was released...and that was caused by how Microsoft shared info at that time. Microsoft supposedly learned a big lesson from the Vista release goatrope. Now after I got Vista and my software/drivers straightened out around 6 months later it was a good OS, but the public damage had already been done and Microsoft finished and released Win 7 much faster than they planned.

Now upgrade to Win 7 went pretty easy for me and I really didn't have any hardware/sofware/driver issues since Win 7 was really just an improved Vista and could use Vista drivers just fine. Actually, I think I just did an clean install other than the upgrade....I can't really remember since going to Win 7 didn't burn painful memories into my brain like Vista did.

I did not upgrade to Win 8.0...I just had bad feelings about that and their new interface/menu structure/etc....how it was changing so much. And we all know how Win 8.0 turned out....a lot of its most disliked issues were not fixed until Win 8.1 came out which I did upgraded to via Clean Install when I got a new computer and it worked fine for me. But once again the damage done by Win 8.0 couldn't really help Win 8.1 make major inroads in getting the masses to upgrade unless Win 8.X just came already installed on a new computer. Microsoft knew it needed to release a new OS soon so it could just bury Win 8.X like how it released Win 7 to bury Vista.

I was fine with Win 8.1 but Microsoft saying they were going to make Win 10 feel more like Win 7 than Win 8.X, make Win 10 possibly its last major release for many years and just do incremental improvements, provide Win 10 free if upgrading during the first year of Win 10's release, and Microsoft seemingly getting a wider bunch of everyday computer users and computer geek users involved in the Win 10 pre-release/beta testing I felt a lot better about upgrading to this new operating system upon it release....felt there was a much higher chance of it not turning into a horror story painful to me. So, I upgraded on day one of the public release.

I'm still surprised my "Get Win 10" icon/nagware on day one of the release/29 July basically said I could upgrade now...all files have been automatically downloaded for you since you reserved Win 10...upgrade now by just clicking this button. Everything I had heard was the folks involved in the beta testing would get it first and some others, but no, here little ol' me who had just reserved it weeks earlier was being offered the upgrade on day one of Win 10's release. I clicked the button and 24 minutes later I was upgraded apparently with no problems/issues after playing with a my computer for a hour or so. But then over the coming days I spotted a few problems/issues which I talked about in this thread but I now have them resolved except for that minor compatibility issue with the Samsung Magician app which is really causing me zero issues...it's just I can't take advantage of one setting in the Magician that I could under Win 8.1....Samsung will get that fixed in the near term I'm sure with a Magician app update...then I can use Rapid Mode again.

Assuming you know how to do image backups you could always do an image backup of your current operating system, give the Win 10 upgrade a try...and if the upgrade just don't work out for various possible reasons, then reload the image of your previous operating system. Or supposedly just use the rollback feature in Win 10 to go back to your previous operating system but I'm not up on that feature at all...doing the image thing is probably much safer. Preaching to the choir I know.

Good luck in whatever you decide as to the "if and when" in upgrading to Win 10...primarily the "when" I expect. We all know the only thing really driving a lot of folks to upgrade to Win 10 right out of the gate is their inability to control their urge desire to have the latest-and-greatest. Most of the time I can control such urges desires; but sometimes I can't especially when I have a way to escape (i.e., reload my image backup of my previous OS) if things so south. Cheers.

That cumulative update successfully installed automatically for me on 6 Aug. But from some googling it's not working out for some folks...don't know how large of a number "some" is. For some, it apparently turns their computer into an endless reboot...trying to boots...errors...tries again to boot...errors..etc...etc...etc.

Now will my next Win 10 update install successfully?...I couldn't say. Now a person no longer has control over controlling all variety of Windows 10 updates (i.e., critical, recommended, optional like name in earlier OS version), and can only defer non-security related updates...security updates are installed whether you like it or not. Now in Win 10 Pro and some enterprise versions supposedly you do have more ability to turn off/control/manage all updates.

I don't know if the above mentioned cumulative update is considered a security update or not. Personally I have not deferred any Win 10 updates....only been a couple released so far.

I think I will do another image backup right now since my computer is working good...never now what the next Win 10 forced update may bring in it's early teething days.

And the OP for this thread I thought I would give an update

<snip>

Wow! Excellent post, Pib, but doesn't really give me any confidence to try it! I think I'll wait 6 months or so.

Thanks. I can understand the reluctance to upgrade so soon after release of another OS and how easy it can be to fall into the Microsoft and media hype of how great the new OS which also implies the upgrade will be easy and fast. <snip>

Another excellent post, Pip.

I was dead lucky with Vista! My usual "wait a few months before trying" was long enough for all the horror stories to become public, so I never, ever, actually installed it on any of my machines. biggrin.png

I was persuaded to try Win 7 but hated it. All the stupid bugs in Windows Explorer put me right off from the very first minute I used it. I was at a mate's house trying out his new Win 7 installation. I ran Explorer, clicked to expand a folder in the left pane and whoosh! Where the hell did the folder go? It went straight to the bottom of the pane. So used the scroll bar to get it back up a bit, clicked to expand a sub-folder and whoosh! Same again. What a load of crap.

I knew from that moment on that this O/S was written by a bunch of idiots who had no idea how Explorer is supposed to work.

And then there is the "full row select" problem where you can't drag and drop a file on any part of the right pane if there is a listing there. So you are forever trying to find a blank bit of screen inside the Explorer right pane to drop a file onto.

Even stupid little things like the divider between the left pane and the right pane being too thin. In XP, you can adjust the thickness - it is tied to the border thickness which you can adjust. The border thickness adjustment is still there in Win 7 but it simply doesn't work on the divider. So adjusting the position of that divider becomes like a computer game - see if you can grab a one pixel wide line with your mouse pointer. Couple that with the "full row select" problem trying to make a blank bit of screen and you have a problem.

But the real show stopper for me was the removal of desk bands. Most people don't even know what they are or realise how fantastically useful they are - like having auto-hiding task bars on all four edges of your desktop. I can access every file, folder and program on my PC from them in an instant. And they're gone. Poof! Now, if they were back in Win 10... smile.png

Your last paragraph sums it up for me:

"We all know the only thing really driving a lot of folks to upgrade to Win 10 right out of the gate is their inability to control their urge desire to have the latest-and-greatest. Most of the time I can control such urges desires; but sometimes I can't especially when I have a way to escape (i.e., reload my image backup of my previous OS) if things so south. Cheers."

I, too, used to have that problem, but I've been caught out too many times so, as others have said, "If it ain't broke..." biggrin.png

<snip>

I think I will do another image backup right now since my computer is working good...never now what the next Win 10 forced update may bring in it's early teething days.

This is exactly what I was thinking - that people will have to do a System Image every day because you never know when MS is going to force an update on you that may turn your PC into a brick!

At least with the old system is was the "Black Tuesday" that you had to be aware of, now every day is a possible "black". When I boot my Netbook to run Win 7 (it can dual boot with XP), I get so fed up waiting for all the updates to download, then install when I shutdown, and install when I boot up again.

Like you, I have image backups stored safely and have a bootable Acronis True Image system on a thumb drive, so "MS! Do your worst!" biggrin.png

Just started the upgrade from Win 7 today, but its been on the "working on it..." screen with the dots spinning round for over 2 hours now, has it failed or is this normal?

Thanks.

This would depend on your hardware (SSD will do it MUCH faster) and the amount of bloat in your previous installation. Or it might just be broken.

After successfully upgrading 4 of my machines to W10, the only thing that i have so far noticed was that my primary PDF program (Foxit Phantom 7.0) lost it's activation. This happened on both devices that it was installed on.

After reactivating (always keep the keys safe) Foxit registered both reactivtions as good and as first time activations.

I am not sure if this is specifically related to Foxit (or just me for that matter) but i would recommend for all those that have gone down the upgrade road, it might be a good idea to run all your licenced software to check for issues. Always better to know beforehand than finding out as you need to use the program, which is what happened to me...............wink.png

All machines were upgraded from W8.1 Pro, one with the media creation tool and one from an extended ISO on it's D drive.

After successfully upgrading 4 of my machines to W10, the only thing that i have so far noticed was that my primary PDF program (Foxit Phantom 7.0) lost it's activation. This happened on both devices that it was installed on.

After reactivating (always keep the keys safe) Foxit registered both reactivtions as good and as first time activations.

I am not sure if this is specifically related to Foxit (or just me for that matter) but i would recommend for all those that have gone down the upgrade road, it might be a good idea to run all your licenced software to check for issues. Always better to know beforehand than finding out as you need to use the program, which is what happened to me...............wink.png

All machines were upgraded from W8.1 Pro, one with the media creation tool and one from an extended ISO on it's D drive.

Sorry, missed my Edit window.

Just go a second program, SyncBackPro v7 which also spat the activation. Reactivated with no problem.

Just started the upgrade from Win 7 today, but its been on the "working on it..." screen with the dots spinning round for over 2 hours now, has it failed or is this normal?

Thanks.

This would depend on your hardware (SSD will do it MUCH faster) and the amount of bloat in your previous installation. Or it might just be broken.

Thanks,

I'll keep it ging for a while longer and see what happens, its a normal HDD not SSD but is fairly cluttered. there is no indication it is doing anything other than the spinning dots, no progress information.

Thanks.

Thanks,

I'll keep it ging for a while longer and see what happens, its a normal HDD not SSD but is fairly cluttered. there is no indication it is doing anything other than the spinning dots, no progress information, but I can still use the laptop as normal.

It gives me the options of changing to "disable" or "manual". I chose manual and that has been working. I set my calendar to pop up every 1 week and remind me to check. I HATE it, LOL, when I try to reboot my computer and unexpectedly updates begin to install.

BTW I just noticed when checking that, that I have Win 10 Home. This is a Toshiba laptop that shipped with valid, factory installed 8 Pro which updated fine to 8.1 Pro. Now I have to find out if I got ripped or what. I haven't heard this one before. Since this thread is about upgrading I hope I'm not off topic. I have some studying to do to find out whassup.

Cheers.

That sounds strange. I've never heard of that before either. To get your Win 10 installation back to Pro, it might be as easy as changing the product key to the Generic (upgrade) Professional key. That's just a guess though.

If that doesn't work and you don't want to do a clean install of Win 10 Pro, give Microsoft a call. They might just give you a retail product key.

After finishing reading above about updates I decide to Restart my Win 10 since Chrome was acting a little squirrelly and a bunch of updates occurred....15 total....most of them for Office 2007 (I also have Office 2013 loaded), one for SilverLight, the monthly Windows Malicious Software Removal tool, and three or four Win 10 Cumulative/Security updates. Everything went OK I guess as they all were identified as successfully installing and my computer has not melted (yet).

That cumulative update successfully installed automatically for me on 6 Aug. But from some googling it's not working out for some folks...don't know how large of a number "some" is. For some, it apparently turns their computer into an endless reboot...trying to boots...errors...tries again to boot...errors..etc...etc...etc.

Now will my next Win 10 update install successfully?...I couldn't say. Now a person no longer has control over controlling all variety of Windows 10 updates (i.e., critical, recommended, optional like name in earlier OS version), and can only defer non-security related updates...security updates are installed whether you like it or not. Now in Win 10 Pro and some enterprise versions supposedly you do have more ability to turn off/control/manage all updates.

I don't know if the above mentioned cumulative update is considered a security update or not. Personally I have not deferred any Win 10 updates....only been a couple released so far.

Just noticed that the problem child KB3081424 talked about in JetsetBkk's post was superseded today by KB3081436 which installed successfully on my computer along with some other Win 10 updates today/12 Aug. Below snapshot regarding KB-436 taken from the Windows webpage that shows released updates.

post-55970-0-97994100-1439388139_thumb.j

Thanks.

Thanks,

I'll keep it ging for a while longer and see what happens, its a normal HDD not SSD but is fairly cluttered. there is no indication it is doing anything other than the spinning dots, no progress information, but I can still use the laptop as normal.

I had the same problem 3 days ago when I decided to install the upgrade. I started the process from the "get 10" icon. "Working on it" for over an hour so I closed the window. stopping the process.

Then I went to Windows Update directly, where it was telling me upgrade was ready to install. Hit the install button and almost immediately the License window popped up and Upgrade started. One hour later all was done.

JetsetBkk, you are starting to sound like an anti-MS evangelist with a negative response to every install report. Searching the web for every negative report.... If you don't want to take a chance so be it, but enough with trying to talk everybody else into not doing it as well. Just sayin'... whistling.gif

<snip>

JetsetBkk, you are starting to sound like an anti-MS evangelist with a negative response to every install report. Searching the web for every negative report.... If you don't want to take a chance so be it, but enough with trying to talk everybody else into not doing it as well. Just sayin'... whistling.gif

I'm not searching the web for anything - these reports are coming in on my usual daily computer-site news feeds. And of course I'm not anti-MS - I've been using Windows since 3.1 came out, and DOS before that.

If you don't want advice from someone who's been using computers for 35+years, that's fine, but my only intention is to warn the "early adopters" of the pit-falls.

I'll be waiting several months before I give W10 a go.

By the way, I never buy the first model of a brand new car, either.

I've now finished doing the Win 10 upgrades on 3 of the 4 PCs in our home, most of the upgrades having gone uneventfully. The one I haven't done yet, and probably won't for a while still, is my main personal desktop that has the largest volume of apps and peripherals installed. That's going to wait more to see how things shake out.

After tinkering around with the Win 10 Start Menu all thru the upgrades, I ultimately decided to throw in the towel and install ClassicShell to get back to a more desktop friendly (Windows 7 style) Start Menu instead of the tiles-focused, not very customizable version in Win 10.

I did have an odd situation with one of my laptops, a U.S. purchased name brand 64-bit OS running the original manufacturer's Win 7, which had been upgraded along the way with Win 7 SP1. Even after making sure ALL of the normal Win 7 updates were installed and up to date, the laptop wouldn't/couldn't install the Win 10 upgrade applet thru Windows Update. And when I tried to install it directly, it said I needed to have Win 7 SP1 installed, which was already installed.

So, I ended up using the MS Media Creation tool link for Win 10, which also gives you the option to simply do an in place Win 10 upgrade on the machine without needed to create any OS DVDs or USB drives first.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

The Media Creation application is about 18 MB. You run that, and it takes your machine the rest of the way through the Win 10 upgrade. Part way thru, it finally put the Win 10 upgrade applet on my laptop and then proceeded to do the full Win 10 in place upgrade.

Just a final note: even after completing the regular Win 10 in place upgrade, go ahead and then run Windows Update again within Win 10, because there surely will be Win 10 OS updates, security updates and various other stuff that Windows will want to install to get your machine to a fully updated state within Win 10.

TallGuy,

3 of your 4 done...you have got the upgrade fever....good on you.

For me, I've done 1 of my 3 laptops...did my main laptop which is the 20 month old Lenovo Z510 which had Win 8.1 on it. But I won't be during the remaining two 8 year old Toshiba laptops because the Win 10 app says no-can-do due to their video chips being incompatible with Win 10....well, the the chips would work to a degree but have issues. These are ATI (now AMD) X1400 and Express GPUs. Latest drivers for them were Vista drivers that works fine on the Win 7 which both are running. Unfortunately, ATI (bought by AMD) won't be putting out any updated drivers for these legacy chips...nor will Toshiba as they stop providing updates 3 years after a model release. From googling, been a lot of folks with ATI X1400/Express GPUs complaining about this since the Win 10 beta came out and the problem surfaced. I only use both of these laptops as backup computers...just don't want to let a couple of old computers which served the wife and I well go into retirement...instead I put them on standby/backup duty.

Old well, I'm really not upset as Win 7 is still supported with security updates until Jan 2020...I seriously doubt I will have these two laptops come Jan 2020...these laptops will go to their grave with Win 7 on them. And what I may do is buy a more modern backup laptop before the free upgrade period to Win 10 passes 29 Jul 16 and move the Win 7 license from one of those laptops (it's not an OEM license tied to one machine, it can be moved to other machines) to my new, more modern backup computer.

Pib

I only have one known remaining minor "app" issue under Win 10 and that with a Samsung app called Magician Ver 4.6 (the latest version) that is used with my Samsung 840EVO SSD....you don't have to install/use the app...it's just one of those apps that gives you some additional features for use with your Samsung SSD such as diagnostics, optimization of the SSD settings, SMART info, Rapid Mode to increase the SSD speed a little via use of some of your RAM memory, etc. Anyway, all the features of the Magician app were working after the Win 10 upgrade to include the Rapid Mode. But during my troubleshooting of the imaging problem described above I turned off Rapid Mode (like I've done numerous times before), and when I tried to turn Rapid Mode back on (like I've done numerous times), it would not turn back on...you would see a message saying some Operating System Info couldn't be identified so Rapid Mode couldn't be turned back on. I did some googling and found others using Samsung 840 and 850 SSDs were experiencing the same problem. Some had found reverting to Magician Ver 4.4 then Rapid Mode would work again but for others it wouldn't. And trying Ver 4.5 didn't work for anyone to get Rapid Mode working again. A couple of posts which said Samsung is aware of the problem and working an update to the Magician app...maybe to be released in late August/this month if those posters were really told that by Samsung...nothing on the Samsung support website about the issue...time will tell. So this problem is not fixed and not really a problem because the Magician app don't even have to be installed/used as it just an app that adds some nice features to make using the Samsung SSD easier and make the SSD a little faster if wanting to use Rapid Mode which I have used for 6 months with zero problems. I didn't try loading version 4.4....I'll just continue to use ver 4.6 although the Rapid Mode can not be used in the app as it won't turn on now....basically the app is like 90% capable/working normally with the exception of it's Rapid Mode setting. So, if you are Samsung SSD user and use the Magician app, you might not want to turn off the Rapid Mode as you may not be able to get it turn back on.

I called Samsung about an hour ago....asked about the Magician Rapid Mode issue. They said yes they know about the Rapid Mode issue in Win 10 for some folks and are working an update for Magician...they said the earliest the update would be released is late this month. But the tone of the rep's voice didn't give me a warm fuzzy it would be this month...time will tell.

So at least I have now heard it from the horse's mouth (Samsung) since I couldn't find any info on the Samsung website and just saw a couple of posts in other blogs saying their contact with Samsung said a Magician update was being worked.

Just FYI for you Samsung 840/850 users out there who use Samsung Magician and may be using the Rapid Mode selection in Magician. I want to be able to use it again because it does speed up computer performance just a little....BIG TIME disk benchmark-wise and just a little in what a person can perceive realworld. All other options in Magician still work fine under Win 10...or at least on my computer.

I called Samsung about an hour ago....asked about the Magician Rapid Mode issue. They said yes they know about the Rapid Mode issue in Win 10 for some folks and are working an update for Magician...they said the earliest the update would be released is late this month. But the tone of the rep's voice didn't give me a warm fuzzy it would be this month...time will tell.

So at least I have now heard it from the horse's mouth (Samsung) since I couldn't find any info on the Samsung website and just saw a couple of posts in other blogs saying their contact with Samsung said a Magician update was being worked.

Just FYI for you Samsung 840/850 users out there who use Samsung Magician and may be using the Rapid Mode selection in Magician. I want to be able to use it again because it does speed up computer performance just a little....BIG TIME disk benchmark-wise and just a little in what a person can perceive realworld. All other options in Magician still work fine under Win 10...or at least on my computer.

Hi Pib - I appear to have skipped over your paragraph about the Samsung Magician utility in your very long post on the 11th. I, too, have a 840 EVO and also a 850 Pro - both 250 GB - used as the boot drive in my Desktop PC. (I alternate them every few months). I also have a 840 EVO 120 GB in my Netbook.

But I haven't used - and didn't know about - the "Magician" utility. I just checked all 3 SSD boxes - I haven't even opened the dämn CD packets! biggrin.png

So you think it's worth it to give the utility a try? I could do with a faster disk in the Netbook as the processor is pretty weak.

Time for bed now, but I'll be Googling all about it tomorrow. Thanks for the heads-up!

Edited by JetsetBkk