Upgraded to Win 10 Today/29 July Without Issue

Pib

One thing that's been only briefly mentioned on the various threads here about W10 is the information flow back to MS (telemetry?), which seems pretty intrusive to users of previous Windows versions. Anybody using Android however is already used to apps requiring access to all sorts of "personal" information, so MS is not breaking new ground here.

Anyway, when upgrading you are given a choice of Express (recommended by MS) or Customized installation. Most of us are now pretty used to checking Customized install on several "free" programs available on the net so as to avoid all the bundled extras that they hope you will install. I chose Customized and was given the option of disabling most of those feedback features. Easy. Privacy (mostly) intact.

Nobody else has mentioned this when discussing their actual upgrade experience....

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Downloaded 10 twice,first time had issues with screen flicker, downloaded it again with AVG disabled. Worked fone for a couple of days, then same issues again screen flicker & slow.

Back to 7.

Downloaded 10 twice,first time had issues with screen flicker, downloaded it again with AVG disabled. Worked fone for a couple of days, then same issues again screen flicker & slow.

Back to 7.

Did you update your graphics card driver from the manufactures website? Doing this fixed a similar issue for me. (AMD, that was only released on 29/7/2015- the same day as Windows 10.) I'm loving Windows 10, so far!

I called Samsung about an hour ago....asked about the Magician Rapid Mode issue. They said yes they know about the Rapid Mode issue in Win 10 for some folks and are working an update for Magician...they said the earliest the update would be released is late this month. But the tone of the rep's voice didn't give me a warm fuzzy it would be this month...time will tell.

So at least I have now heard it from the horse's mouth (Samsung) since I couldn't find any info on the Samsung website and just saw a couple of posts in other blogs saying their contact with Samsung said a Magician update was being worked.

Just FYI for you Samsung 840/850 users out there who use Samsung Magician and may be using the Rapid Mode selection in Magician. I want to be able to use it again because it does speed up computer performance just a little....BIG TIME disk benchmark-wise and just a little in what a person can perceive realworld. All other options in Magician still work fine under Win 10...or at least on my computer.

Hi Pib - I appear to have skipped over your paragraph about the Samsung Magician utility in your very long post on the 11th. I, too, have a 840 EVO and also a 850 Pro - both 250 GB - used as the boot drive in my Desktop PC. (I alternate them every few months). I also have a 840 EVO 120 GB in my Netbook.

But I haven't used - and didn't know about - the "Magician" utility. I just checked all 3 SSD boxes - I haven't even opened the dämn CD packets! biggrin.png

So you think it's worth it to give the utility a try? I could do with a faster disk in the Netbook as the processor is pretty weak.

Time for bed now, but I'll be Googling all about it tomorrow. Thanks for the heads-up!

The Magician app is nice. An important features among many is the ability to check for and install the latest firmware for the SSD. Hopefully you heard about the 840 "read/slowness" folks some 840 users started experiencing last year....basically a situation where the contents of some memory cells got a little harder to read after X-months due to way the memory charge is maintained in the 840 SSD memory cells (different than how memory is stored on a hard disk drive with alignment of magnetic poles on the spinning platter to represent 1's and 0's/memory) and the read speed of the drive would slow down...loading/running of apps would slow down, the drive just got slower, etc....still a lot faster than a regular hard disk drive but basically the SSD was losing speed and performance....sometimes significantly according to some 840 SSD users.

Now you could only spot this if actually noticing the problem with your own two eyes. Or using a disk benchmark program that "read current disk memory only"....that is, it did not do the test by first writing some test files to the disk and then immediately reading the back. That type of test would not spot the slowdown problem because that was "freash/newly written" memory/test files compared to reading old memory written X-months ago. You had to use benchmark programs like HDTune, HDTack, etc., that could do a read speed test by simply reading data already stored on the drive for a while (i.e., like months) and also read that data just not from one spot on the drive but "across the drive's memory"...from every location some data was stored...not just writing some test files to one location on the drive and immediately reading them back. Basically, the drive would read old data slower than new data....and since a lot of data that is loaded on your drive rarely or maybe never change once written (like program files), the 840 got slower in reading "old" data.

So around Oct 14 Samsung came out with a firmware update for 840 which changed the firmware's algorithm in how data is periodically refreshed (all done in the background)...and this is not to be confused with the TRIM function built into Windows. And with the firmware update they include a Performance Restoration Tool that basically did a one time read and rewrite, bit by bit of the entire drive to get all the memory cells tuned-up and then the updated firmware would keep it that way...as mentioned this Tool was a once time use thing. Then Samsung found out they needed to tweak the firmware algorithm a little more and they also included a Advanced Performance Optimization feature in Magician that allow you to run a Performance Optimization of the drive whenever you wanted to just in case you felt the firmware updates had not fixed the issue....this Performance Optimization is nothing more than a complete reread and rewrite of the SSD...nothing more than a Performance Restoration Tool that can now be run whenever you want. Takes about 25 minutes to run on my 840EVO 500GB. I did it for kicks last night although my testing/monitoring of the SSD after the firmware updates with HDTack didn't not slow any "slowness" creeping in for old data...even before the firmware updates. I expect this issue only affected "some" users depending on there overall computer setup and was not an across the board problem for everyone. You may or may not be part of that "some" group. If you are the Magician app can fix all of that for you and do a lot of other things also.

Read more about this issue at below links:

Link 1

Link 2

And don't use the old Samsung software on the CD that came with your SSD. Instead, go to this Samsung website to download the latest Magician Ver 4.6....it's really the Samsung SSD app you need to download and use for your 840. Although the site has firmware downloads listed separate, I think if using Magician you just use the Firmware update tab, it will check if you have the latest firmware, and if not walk you through installing it...it's easy...I've done two firmware updates since getting my 840EVO almost a year ago. Lots of other good info at the Samsung SSD support website also, especially the documentation, white papers, Q&As, etc.

Pib

Does this problem relate to Samsung SSD 840 EVO only?

Previously, you mentioned "Magician" - tool which purports to speed up the Samsung 850Pro by a factor of 1.7 times.

This "Magician" requires attention by Win RAR. Comment? What to do next?

It's only related to the 840; not the 850. But the 840 problem is solved with the firmware updates.

Don't know what you mean by Win RAR unless talking the app that unzips compressed files. If so, you don't need Win RAR or any unzip type app to install the Magician as it self installing...just download and install.

Thanks, the only way I got it to eventually install was to delete everything in the folder C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download then I went back to check for updates and it started the download again and installed.

Been using it for a day now...

The first problem I had was my wfi connection kept changing to 'Limited' with no Internet access about every 15 minutes having to disconnect and reconnect to get it to work again, but since I have done updates today it has not hapened again yet.**

A critical error suddenly appeared after I restarted after the taskbar stopped responding, so I restarted to get the error 'critical error Start Menu and Cortana aren't working, could not do anything despite doing several restarts. In the end I started it up with pressing F8, a tip i read somewhere, it did not appear to go into any kind of safe mode but it did start up without any errors.

But the most annoying thing is having to log in to a microsoft account with a password everytime I start up the computer, is there a way to get rid of this I dont need this security I just want it start up on its own? I tried Windows R then netplwiz and

Thanks

** as I was writing this the limited Internet thing is back again, wish I hadn't bothered

Just started the upgrade from Win 7 today, but its been on the "working on it..." screen with the dots spinning round for over 2 hours now, has it failed or is this normal?

Thanks.

This would depend on your hardware (SSD will do it MUCH faster) and the amount of bloat in your previous installation. Or it might just be broken.

Thanks,

I'll keep it ging for a while longer and see what happens, its a normal HDD not SSD but is fairly cluttered. there is no indication it is doing anything other than the spinning dots, no progress information, but I can still use the laptop as normal.

I had the same problem 3 days ago when I decided to install the upgrade. I started the process from the "get 10" icon. "Working on it" for over an hour so I closed the window. stopping the process.

Then I went to Windows Update directly, where it was telling me upgrade was ready to install. Hit the install button and almost immediately the License window popped up and Upgrade started. One hour later all was done.

JetsetBkk, you are starting to sound like an anti-MS evangelist with a negative response to every install report. Searching the web for every negative report.... If you don't want to take a chance so be it, but enough with trying to talk everybody else into not doing it as well. Just sayin'... whistling.gif

Just started the upgrade from Win 7 today, but its been on the "working on it..." screen with the dots spinning round for over 2 hours now, has it failed or is this normal?

Thanks.

This would depend on your hardware (SSD will do it MUCH faster) and the amount of bloat in your previous installation. Or it might just be broken.

Thanks,

I'll keep it ging for a while longer and see what happens, its a normal HDD not SSD but is fairly cluttered. there is no indication it is doing anything other than the spinning dots, no progress information, but I can still use the laptop as normal.

I had the same problem 3 days ago when I decided to install the upgrade. I started the process from the "get 10" icon. "Working on it" for over an hour so I closed the window. stopping the process.

Then I went to Windows Update directly, where it was telling me upgrade was ready to install. Hit the install button and almost immediately the License window popped up and Upgrade started. One hour later all was done.

JetsetBkk, you are starting to sound like an anti-MS evangelist with a negative response to every install report. Searching the web for every negative report.... If you don't want to take a chance so be it, but enough with trying to talk everybody else into not doing it as well. Just sayin'... whistling.gif

Thanks, the only way I got it to eventually install was to delete everything in the folder C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download then I went back to check for updates and it started the download again and installed.

Been using it for a day now...

The first problem I had was my wifi connection kept changing to 'Limited' with no Internet access about every 15 minutes having to disconnect and reconnect to get it to work again, but since I have done updates today it has not hapened again yet.**

A critical error suddenly appeared after I restarted after the taskbar stopped responding, so I restarted to get the error 'critical error Start Menu and Cortana aren't working, could not do anything despite doing several restarts. In the end I started it up with pressing F8, a tip i read somewhere, it did not appear to go into any kind of safe mode but it did start up without any errors.

But the most annoying thing is having to log in to a microsoft account with a password everytime I start up the computer, is there a way to get rid of this I dont need this security I just want it start up on its own? I tried Windows R then netplwiz and unclicking 'users must enter user name ...' but it didn't work. UPDATE it works now without me having to enter the password using the same method but I didnt reconfrim the password i think the first time, a little thing but I still don't like how it shows my full name when I turn on, I tried changing it to first name only but it insists on a family name.

Thanks

** as I was writing this the limited Internet thing is back again, twice more.

Yes. Press the windows key + x and select "Run." Type in "control userpasswords2" and in the dialogue box that comes up, uncheck "users must enter a user name and password to use this computer." Restart your computer and you won't be required to enter a PIN or password. Of course, don't do this for computers that unauthorized users have access to. BTW, pressing the windows key + x and selecting command prompt (Admin) will put you in C:/Windows/System32. It does on all four of the computers that I have upgraded to Windows 10. For those users with memory leaks, start task manager, select "Processes" and click on the memory bar to sort the processes according to memory use. The offending program(s) will be at the top of the list. I needed to uninstall Malwarebytes Pro and CCleaner Pro. I'll use the free versions in the future so I can run them when I want. Whenever you plug in an external drive or mount an image, if it doesn't appear, go to Disk Management in Control Panel (as Pib pointed out) and assign a drive letter. I've upgraded four machines so far and have had no real problems but did have to download KB 3081424 from Softpedia and install it manually on one computer. Good luck to everyone. I'm getting more speed with my Win 10 so suggest that users with pokey computers check for malware and memory hogs.

The Magician app is nice. An important features among many is the ability to check for and install the latest firmware for the SSD. Hopefully you heard about the 840 "read/slowness" folks some 840 users started experiencing last year...<snip>

Read more about this issue at below links:

Link 1

Link 2

And don't use the old Samsung software on the CD that came with your SSD. Instead, go to this Samsung website to download the latest Magician Ver 4.6....it's really the Samsung SSD app you need to download and use for your 840. Although the site has firmware downloads listed separate, I think if using Magician you just use the Firmware update tab, it will check if you have the latest firmware, and if not walk you through installing it...it's easy...I've done two firmware updates since getting my 840EVO almost a year ago. Lots of other good info at the Samsung SSD support website also, especially the documentation, white papers, Q&As, etc.

Pib, thanks so much for all the good stuff you write in your posts. It's late again - where DOES the time go? - so I'll be doing this over the next few days. I'll make a system image before I start "mucking around"! One of the great things about having an SSD is that the System Disk imaging takes only 3 1/2 minutes!

Pib, thanks so much for all the good stuff you write in your posts. It's late again - where DOES the time go? - so I'll be doing this over the next few days. I'll make a system image before I start "mucking around"! One of the great things about having an SSD is that the System Disk imaging takes only 3 1/2 minutes!

I hear you about mucking-around. I was mucking-around Win 10 yesterday....deleted some stuff I thought would be safe to delete (user account related)....for about X-hours I thought I was good-to-go...then found out some apps that came with Windows wouldn't start and said I need to reinstall from Windows Store...some would reinstall successfully from the Windows Store (free stuff) and others would not.

Fortunately I had did an image just before I started my mucking around because we all know what mucking around can do sometimes, reloaded the image I made which took me back into time around 12 hours to my pre-mucking-around point...problem solved. My image reload took about 15-20 minutes as I was reloading around 112GB...mucking around problem solved. The go back in the past time machine called reloading an image worked....I only lost a few emails that I had already read and I intended to delete anyway over that 12 hours.

I use Macrium Reflect-Free imaging software primarily since it's much faster and has more backup options than the Windows built-in imaging module. But about every month I also do an image backup using the Windows built-in imaging module just so I have an image backup created by another imaging program. I like Macrium Reflect-Free have used it to clone and backup disks for a while. Version 6 of the free version was just released last month for anyone who might be interested in free and outstanding backup programs.

Old well, I'm really not upset as Win 7 is still supported with security updates until Jan 2020...I seriously doubt I will have these two laptops come Jan 2020...these laptops will go to their grave with Win 7 on them. And what I may do is buy a more modern backup laptop before the free upgrade period to Win 10 passes 29 Jul 16 and move the Win 7 license from one of those laptops (it's not an OEM license tied to one machine, it can be moved to other machines) to my new, more modern backup computer.

Once it became apparent that there seemed to be no/few major Win 10 upgrade bugs occurring, I figured I wanted to get the upgrade hassle out of the way sooner rather than later (for the 3 of the 4 machines in our home). And also to be able to have and use the 3 wife/backup machines (that's three PCs, not 3 wives!) running Win 10 periodically now to help inform my judgment about if/when to upgrade my own main work PC.

Thus far, the 3 upgraded Win 10 machines seem to be running fine with no hardware and few software issues, especially after having installed ClassicShell on each. But, at the same time, I can't really say that the user experience or productivity or whatever other indicators you want to choose are significantly better (or better at all) on the Win 10 machines vs. their Win 7/8.1 predecessor versions. Well, let's correct that, to say, Win 10 not signif better than their Win 7 predecessors. I think I'll leave the one prior Win 8.1 machine out of the comparison, since Win 10 probably is clearly better than the half-baked, half-cocked Win 8/8.1.

Just for economic/cheapskate reasons, I'm sure I'll end up upgrading my main PC sometime prior to the one-year free upgrade period MS has launched. No reason to end up paying for a Win 10 upgrade license if you can avoid it. But at the same time, if the software cost wasn't an issue, I'd probably be content to just leave my current Win 7 main desktop to continue running Win 7 and not hassle with Win 10 at all, at least for the remaining life of that machine.

The one thing you do get with Win 10 vs. Win 7 is access to the new Windows 10 app store, and the whole sector of having apps on your Windows PC in addition to programs/applications. MS's app store has been pretty well a disorganized, cr*p filled mess. But, at least, they did include or make available a couple of pretty useful and decent Win 10 apps that I like and can't use right now on my main Win 7 machine, including FilmOn, Al Jazeera, NFL Network, NBC News, and even some U.S. cable TV network apps, which can be nice if you have a U.S. cable account user ID and password that you can authenticate with inside the respective apps.

Other than that, as a mostly contented Win 7 user, I'm hard-pressed to find any great joy about the arrival of Win 10. Life goes on.

Anyway, when upgrading you are given a choice of Express (recommended by MS) or Customized installation. Most of us are now pretty used to checking Customized install on several "free" programs available on the net so as to avoid all the bundled extras that they hope you will install. I chose Customized and was given the option of disabling most of those feedback features. Easy. Privacy (mostly) intact.

Nobody else has mentioned this when discussing their actual upgrade experience....

Actually, I had mentioned it above as well, in response to another poster griping about privacy intrusion issues in Win 10.

And, as you correctly point out, anyone doing the Win 10 upgrade DEFINITELY IMHO ought to opt for the CUSTOMIZED install, and then de-select all the various data sharing/feedback choices that might be considered as unnecessary or intrusive. Taking that approach, AFAICT, pretty much leaves Win 10 in not any different place than Win 7 before it.

A similar issue, meanwhile, seems to be to be the choice between installing Win 10 under your Microsoft account vs using a local account to set up the OS. If you want everything to automatically sync between all your different Windows 10 devices, then using the MS account setup seems the way to go.

But, for me, I use different machines for different purposes and in different ways. And I DON'T want them to all be mirror images of each other. And I don't want all the files on my MS OneDrive account to be automatically downloaded to each and every Win 10 device I may have. So, I chose to do all my Win 10 setups as local accounts. Also, AFAICT, in the settings menu, even after the initial upgrade, you do have the option to change from local to MS or from MS back to local account without too much difficulty.

I hear you about mucking-around. I was mucking-around Win 10 yesterday....deleted some stuff I thought would be safe to delete (user account related)....for about X-hours I thought I was good-to-go...then found out some apps that came with Windows wouldn't start and said I need to reinstall from Windows Store...some would reinstall successfully from the Windows Store (free stuff) and others would not.

Fortunately I had did an image just before I started my mucking around because we all know what mucking around can do sometimes, reloaded the image I made which took me back into time around 12 hours to my pre-mucking-around point...problem solved. My image reload took about 15-20 minutes as I was reloading around 112GB...mucking around problem solved. The go back in the past time machine called reloading an image worked....I only lost a few emails that I had already read and I intended to delete anyway over that 12 hours.

I use Macrium Reflect-Free imaging software primarily since it's much faster and has more backup options than the Windows built-in imaging module. But about every month I also do an image backup using the Windows built-in imaging module just so I have an image backup created by another imaging program. I like Macrium Reflect-Free have used it to clone and backup disks for a while. Version 6 of the free version was just released last month for anyone who might be interested in free and outstanding backup programs.

Interesting that you use Macrium Reflect Free. I belong to a Yahoo group that has an ongoing thread about backups, and nearly all of them use Macrium.

I use Acronis and have done for years, but there is one very nasty problem with it that one day I must get to the bottom of: if you start the bootable version of Acronis and specify what you want to backup up, i.e. all of the system disk, and then you decide not to do it, you can back out by using the "Back" and "Cancel" buttons on various screens and then close the Acronis system.

Unfortunately when your PC then tries to reboot it can't! I got a "NTLD error" on the XP side and the Win7 side just hung. (I dual boot). This happened a couple of days ago and I had to restore the previous image.

This also happened about 12 years ago when I booted an earlier version Acronis system from a CD. (I have a good memory smile.png, but not quite good enough to remember never to back out facepalm.gif). So 12 years ago I backed out, and my single-booting XP lap-top wouldn't boot. I had to use "Ultimate Boot CD" to get it going.

I really must search the Acronis support site to see if this is a known problem and why the h3ll they haven't fixed it in 12 years!

For you fine folks who have a computer with an older (legacy) AMD/ATI graphics chip and may be finding out you can not upgrade to Win 10 since your legacy AMD/ATI chip/driver is not fully compatible with Win 10 (I have 2 eight year Toshiba laptops with such ATI chips), below webpage is from AMD/ATI specifically identifying which of their graphics cards/chips are not compatible with Win10. By not fully compatible it basically means Win 10 may not install at all, or if it does load the Win 10 generic video driver (or AMD/ATI driver) graphics capabilities will be limited/unstable plus power settings affected also....the webpage lists the impacts.

AMD/ATI has known about this ever since the Win10 beta testing began many months ago...highly,highly unlikely AMD/ATI or your computer manufacturer will develop an updated driver if your AMD/ATI legacy chip is one of the legacy chips listed on the webpage. Just another way hardware and software manufacturers use to get you to buy new hardware.

And as I earlier mentioned in this thread, my two old Toshiba laptops which can't be upgraded to Win 10 due to their ATI video chips continue to work fine with Win 7 installed and these laptops will go to their graves with Win 7 installed. Win 7 is still supported with security updates until Jan 2020. If I still have those two computers come Jan 2020 then they will be around 13 years old....definitely time to put them out to the full retirement pasture versus letting them continue to feed in the "backup/only use occassionally computer pasture." I'm sure I'll get a backup/secondary laptop long before then....in fact, I'll probably get one before the Win 10 free upgrade periods ends 29 Jul 16. As mentioned in earlier posts, my newer/primary/21 month old Lenovo laptop with Intel/NVIDA graphics upgraded to Win 10 with only a couple minor issues I have since resolved.

https://community.amd.com/docs/DOC-1313

So far my Win 10 updates have been titled as a "Cumulative Update" and I wondered what "Cumulative" really meant. I think this 17 August/today article explains it: Link.

It also says Win 10 has now been installed on 50 million computers since its release on 29 July which is around 20 days ago.

I just finished installing cumulative update KB3081444 and another update KB3081441. They successfully installed. Then did another update check and it said I'm all up to date. I checked my Win 10 version number before and after install of above KBs...the version number remained 10.0.10240, which has been the version number since day 1 upgrade to Win 10 on 29 Jul.

I've had around 20 updates since upgrading to Win 10 not counting the the ones for a specific Windows program like Office 2007....a total of 5 had "cumulative" in their title...the others have had Security update in their title or just said update. After all of these updates to include the ones today, my Win version remains 10.0.10240. I'm running Win 10 Home Single Language (Eng Intl).

Where you said "appears to be Build 10525", how do you know what build it will possibly change your Win 10 version to before the KB's install, realizing all updates wouldn't change your build number.

Apparently for those on the Fast Ring only. It's a full build, same hour long "Upgrading Windows" process we've seen before.

screen_shot_2015-08-18_at_1.48.23_pm_sto

Earlier today, Microsoft pushed out a new build of Windows 10, build 10525 to Insiders, and with this release there are a couple of new additions to the OS.

This release is for Fast ring users only, so make sure you are set to this release cadence if you want try out the new bits; otherwise, sit tight as the early adopters play with this release and provide feedback on stability.

Updated color options:

We got a lot of feedback on the default color for Start, Acton Center, Taskbar, and Title bars and that you wanted to be able to change to reflect your preferences. This feature is now available (though still early) in build 10525 for you to try. This is off by default, but you can turn it on by toggling this (Settings > Personalization > Colors):

Memory Manager Improvements:

In Windows 10, we have added a new concept in the Memory Manager called a compression store, which is an in-memory collection of compressed pages. This means that when Memory Manager feels memory pressure, it will compress unused pages instead of writing them to disk. This reduces the amount of memory used per process, allowing Windows 10 to maintain more applications in physical memory at a time. This also helps provide better responsiveness across Windows 10. The compression store lives in the System process’s working set. Since the system process holds the store in memory, its working set grows larger exactly when memory is being made available for other processes. This is visible in Task Manager and the reason the System process appears to be consuming more memory than previous releases.

While we don't expect any major issues with this build, do let us know if you encounter any significant problems or notice any updates that Microsoft did not cover.

We do have a few known issues with this build.

Part of the fun of being a Windows Insider is getting to tinker with prerelease software before the rest of the world, but you should be very aware as an Insider that prerelease software will come with bugs and things that are incomplete. Make sure you know and accept what you’re opting in to when you join the program, and of course make sure to back up all of your personal data before you begin.

• Mobile hotspot doesn’t work in this build. When sharing the Internet from your device with mobile broadband using Mobile Hotspot, it will fail to get a valid IP address from your device and will show no internet access.
  • An update to Movies & TV application from the Store will be required to fix an issue with video playback.
  • Optional languages packs will not be available during the initial launch of this flight, it will be available later this week.

I’m very excited to be able to officially welcome you to the next phase of the Windows Insider program and bring you a new build today. I hope that you have fun with it, and be sure to keep sending in your feedback via the Windows Feedback app!

Edited by Chicog

I just finished installing cumulative update KB3081444 and another update KB3081441. They successfully installed. Then did another update check and it said I'm all up to date. I checked my Win 10 version number before and after install of above KBs...the version number remained 10.0.10240, which has been the version number since day 1 upgrade to Win 10 on 29 Jul.

I've had around 20 updates since upgrading to Win 10 not counting the the ones for a specific Windows program like Office 2007....a total of 5 had "cumulative" in their title...the others have had Security update in their title or just said update. After all of these updates to include the ones today, my Win version remains 10.0.10240. I'm running Win 10 Home Single Language (Eng Intl).

Where you said "appears to be Build 10525", how do you know what build it will possibly change your Win 10 version to before the KB's install, realizing all updates wouldn't change your build number.

Only asking, but how on earth did you think I came up with a build number?!

tongue.png

Heck, "I" only know of one way which I talked about....but based on your posts your Windows knowledge is at the expert level and experts usually know at least a half dozen different ways to do certain computer/OS info. Plus I got a little concerned wondering why your Win 10 would be showing an updated version but mine not after installing all the latest updates.

Anyway, Per this weblink that popped on a website I was visiting a few minutes ago, the build your refer to is only for those folks on the Win 10 Preview/Insider program which you were part of based on all your informative posts...not for use folks who got the versus released to the masses on 29 July. Apparently the Preview/Insider program was closed but has now been reopened and they are pushing out build 10525 to you fine folks.

Heck, "I" only know of one way which I talked about....but based on your posts your Windows knowledge is at the expert level and experts usually know at least a half dozen different ways to do certain computer/OS info. Plus I got a little concerned wondering why your Win 10 would be showing an updated version but mine not after installing all the latest updates.

Anyway, Per this weblink that popped on a website I was visiting a few minutes ago, the build your refer to is only for those folks on the Win 10 Preview/Insider program which you were part of based on all your informative posts...not for use folks who got the versus released to the masses on 29 July. Apparently the Preview/Insider program was closed but has now been reopened and they are pushing out build 10525 to you fine folks.

Yes, it's only when I went and looked that I saw it was Fast Ring only.

But as you can see it doesn't do much apart from force me to take a nice long break from the desk today, which I did.

biggrin.png

I upgraded to W 10 very recently. All is going great. So, why 278 updates today?

Good question. When was the last time you patched?

And do you have Office installed?

What are the updates for?

M$ seem to be doing the WIN 10 OS ones as cumulative roll ups so I'd be interested to hear how you got so many.

I upgraded to W 10 very recently. All is going great. So, why 278 updates today?

What are you talking about regarding "278 updates today." Where do you get that number. Heck, I've been on Win 10 since day one of it's release on 29 July and have only gotten around 20 updates, which includes the 2 for today.

What are you talking about regarding "278 updates today." Where do you get that number. Heck, I've been on Win 10 since day one of it's release on 29 July and have only gotten around 20 updates, which includes the 2 for today.

Minor error - 78 updates not 278.

This was completed via 360 Virus & Security Analysis.

Minor error - 78 updates not 278.

This was completed via 360 Virus & Security Analysis.

I don't think the updates those two programs did had anything to do with Windows 10 updates or program updates...but were related to "virus definition updates" those programs loaded to keep themselves up to date.

I run Norton 360 on my Win 10, Win 8.1, and Win 7 machines and its not uncommon for numerous definition updates to be loaded/installed during the day but that has nothing to do with Win 10/8/7 updates as the virus definition update files are not really OS specific. And when initially installing these anti-virus programs they usually have a lot of updates to catch-up based upon their original release date. Once they catch-up after the initial install, you'll have much few virus definition updates daily.

I don't know if you ever did a clean install of say Win 7, after its initial install it then begins to do Windows updates...after the first updates it then looks for some more...finds them...installs them...looks for more...install them....etc. This might go on for a half dozen times until Win 7 updates are fully caught up...then the periodic updates are much fewer.

But as mentioned in the first paragraph I think you are confusing virus definition updates needed to keep the Norton products updated with Windows updates.