Upgraded to Win 10 Today/29 July Without Issue

Pib

In my case, Windows 10 was a clean install.

Windows was only released 29 July...since then there have only been approx 20 cumulative/security updates.

Not like going out and buying Win 8.X or Win 7 which has been released for years and has had many, many updates/security patches released...a lot of catching up to do.

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me an upgrade to W 10 was obvious. This is it - so get used to it. Of course patches are inevitable. I can wear that.

Now that MS have made a definitive statement ie all previous versions of Windows are to be phased out ASAP, things will get better as staff can concentrate on W 10.

I have gotten windows 10 too as for people talking about security updates that is only normal when it is just released. Sure win 8.1 or 7 might be safer but also hackers need time to work out exploits. So I don't worry too much got enough security and I am a stupid user that clicks on anything that blinks.

I must say I had no problems with the installation.

I have gotten windows 10 too as for people talking about security updates that is only normal when it is just released. Sure win 8.1 or 7 might be safer but also hackers need time to work out exploits. So I don't worry too much got enough security and I am a stupid user that clicks on anything that blinks.

I must say I had no problems with the installation.

Sure it's safe....there are still security updates being issued for Win 7 and Win 8.X,...while they may be considered mature operating systems new bugs are always being discovered. And now Win 10 joins that list.

And this is a good thing. Would you want to have an OS and associated MS products like their Office product and IE product, where no security updates/patches were issued regularly and instead lived behind a false facade of never needing updates.

Go to this Microsoft webpage to see updates released so far in 2015 for MS operating systems and other products. Link

VS2005 works fine under Windows 10 [ ... snipped ... ]

Correction:

VS2005 compilation works on Windows 10, but as soon as C++ sourcecode is loaded in the VS2005 debugger then the Windows 10 operating system stops, becomes totally inoperable, forcing me to push the power button in order to regain control of the laptop. Personally it's definitely not a fully workable combination.

It's always YOUR obligation to BACK UP critical data BEFORE handing your system over to a tech, or a teach (I don't like being 'schooled' any more than the rest of you).

You live but you don't always learn.

Fortunately, the losses were minimal.

whistling.gif Did my windows 10 upgrade about 2 weeks ago.

The original installation was painless and seemed to work initially.

48 hours ago Monkeysoft automatically hit me with Update #1 for windows 10

Since I received update 1 to Windows 10 I have had 2 days of problems.

Yesterday I took them up on the offer that my free upgrade to windows 10 could be removed and re-installed to windows 8.1.

Goodbye and good riddance to windows 10.

I'll stay with windows 8.1 for now.

not sure i posted it already, cant find it so here you go smile.png

Windows 10: The Spy Edition

Windows 10 should be renamed Windows 1984 as that is the true nature of the operating system.

Windows 10 was released a short while ago with millions having downloaded it already. It is being lauded as the most widely adopted Windows at launch. Windows 10 is free for the first year, even for pirated editions of Windows so that even people with illegal versions of Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 can use Windows 10 and get used to it and given a year Microsoft hope that even people who can’t afford it will eventually buy it.

Read more: http://www.veteranstodaymoney.com/2015/08/windows-10-spy-edition/

Edited by Rimmer
14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.

Had my first Windows 10 update today that didn't' agree with my Lenovo Z510 laptop..

It was an updated Synaptics Pointing Device (mouse pad) driver that would have probably been an "Optional" driver to install under previous Windows versions which I could have refused if desired.

The updated driver successfully installed but would not work right with my mouse pad...you would get popup errors when trying to open the pad's icon to adjust settings and the icon would appear and then disappear in the task bar...kinda like blinking on and off every few seconds.

I rolled backed to my previous version driver which was the driver for my laptop model obtained from the Lenovo Support website and everything is fine again.

I then did a Check for Updates three times to see if it would reload the driver that don't fully work and it did not which is a good thing.

Upgraded to W 10 about one week ago. Very easy to adapt to.

Annoying - some times - Gmail & Ask.com - rather than enter the site, "Edge" bobs up.

At other times, it looks for the site but TIMES OUT.

Windows 7 - never had a problem.

"Start Up" now very slow.

Would I go back to W 7? NEVER! These minor problems will soon be resolved.

Edited by fang37

Annoying - some times - Gmail & Ask.com - rather than enter the site, "Edge" bobs up.

Enter the site from where?

From the Homepage.

Sounds like you may have Edge set as your Default browser. When Win 10 installs, Edge is set as your default browser. If you want another browser as your default browser, say your use Chrome, IE, whatever browser you have loaded., just got to Settings, System, Default Apps, and then under Web Browser see what the default browser is set to....and change it if you desire.

it's funny all the people freaking out about privacy in windows 10. Sure they're being pretty intrusive about things but you can fix most of the issues with a quick search and a few tweaks. But really if you have a smartphone with a google account you didn't have any privacy left anyway.

whistling.gif I took the free upgrade about 2 weeks ago, after 1 week I realized it wasn't for me.

At first it seemed to work reasonably well. Then I got an update from Microsoft that started causing problems with some of my old programs.

Had problems being kicked off certain sites.... one of which also happened to be this forum.

After 72 hours of frustration, exercised my option to remove windows 10 and re-install windows 8.1.

I just found out today how to remove that nagging piece of Microsoft malware that kept trying to remind me that windows 10 was waiting for installation, and I should install it.

No thank you....I don't want windows 10 ever again.

Don't need it, don't want it, and happy that I deleted it to re-install windows 8.1

Edited by IMA_FARANG

From the Homepage.

Sounds like you may have Edge set as your Default browser. When Win 10 installs, Edge is set as your default browser. If you want another browser as your default browser, say your use Chrome, IE, whatever browser you have loaded., just got to Settings, System, Default Apps, and then under Web Browser see what the default browser is set to....and change it if you desire.

Pib

Got to Default Apps

Web browser??????

From the Homepage.

Pib

Got to Default Apps

Web browser??????

Pib

Got to Default Apps

Web browser??????

Yeap...just like I said...the Web Browser selection is near the bottom of the various apps....see below....see how I have Chrome selected....it was Edge until I changed it to Chrome.

post-55970-0-33362600-1440496216_thumb.j

Wouldn't begin to guess why your speed has slowed down....maybe due to some other program that starts up with Windows.

With my Lenovo Z510 laptop running Win 8.1 it would boot up to the Desktop screen in approx 12 - 15 seconds....same for Windows 10 although it seems to be closer to the 12 vs the 15 seconds.. However, occasionally with Win 8.1 and Win 10 it will take around 30 seconds to boot-up....maybe that's due to a Windows update (that I didn't even know occurred) which required some extra time to adjust settings/configuration.....maybe my Norton 360 did some housecleaning in the background before the last shutdown which caused a slower bootup that one time...I don't know.

Pib, it seems that problem is solved.

ANOTHER

Startup - pre W 10 - lightning - 10-15sec

W 10 - 40 sec

Even going into Gmail etc, speed has declined.

Possibly the fault of your computer's hardware manufacturer not having all the drivers ready for 10. Could also be a myriad of other things.

Only a true geek or a fool would instal a new operating system on or very near its release date, more balanced minds will wait at least one year or more.

To be fair, it's the free offer that has people excited, so this is different than previous upgrades. I'm trying it on one of my computers. After about 2 weeks I wish I hadn't, and I'm getting ready to downgrade again. I only installed it on my entertainment computer - I wouldn't risk upgrading my work computer.

I upgraded a computer that had a recent clean install of Windows 7 which was working perfectly, so if an upgrade should be trouble free, this was the best chance. Windows 10 takes forever to boot up and be ready for use. Even after it has booted, I have to wait 5 minutes before some of my apps are ready to go. Every boot something different happens - weird sh*t. The event viewer shows a long line of critical events on every boot.

Read this article and head their advice:

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2953307/microsoft-windows/windows-10-is-for-suckers.html

If you haven't done it already - don't!

Pib, it seems that problem is solved.

ANOTHER

Startup - pre W 10 - lightning - 10-15sec

W 10 - 40 sec

Even going into Gmail etc, speed has declined.

Possibly the fault of your computer's hardware manufacturer not having all the drivers ready for 10. Could also be a myriad of other things.

LOL> making excuses for Windows 10.

You hit the nail on the head "could be a myriad of other things". That's really a Windows 10 shortfall, for not allowing users to easily find and solve the problems. Troubleshooting "the myriad of other things" should be built into the system.

I'm guess a lot of users will be using the fast downgrade feature, which is available for 30 days only.

Only a true geek or a fool would instal a new operating system on or very near its release date, more balanced minds will wait at least one year or more.

To be fair, it's the free offer that has people excited, so this is different than previous upgrades. I'm trying it on one of my computers. After about 2 weeks I wish I hadn't, and I'm getting ready to downgrade again. I only installed it on my entertainment computer - I wouldn't risk upgrading my work computer.

I upgraded a computer that had a recent clean install of Windows 7 which was working perfectly, so if an upgrade should be trouble free, this was the best chance. Windows 10 takes forever to boot up and be ready for use. Even after it has booted, I have to wait 5 minutes before some of my apps are ready to go. Every boot something different happens - weird sh*t. The event viewer shows a long line of critical events on every boot.

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2953307/microsoft-windows/windows-10-is-for-suckers.html

Clean install, reinstall updated apps & drivers and all will be well.

I have just read your reference.

With all the pain of installing W 10, I loathe reverting back to W 7.

Slow startup is my biggest complaint.

There are others but relatively minor at this stage.

I should be a Jew (???) & bang my head against the wall?