Vocabulary chart teaches children that dark skin is 'ugly'

webfact

How many of you remember Yui Rojjana? She hails from Issan and is darkskinned. She was discovered by a modelling agency in Bangkok and went tro America where she became a top model. When she started out she couldn't even walk in high heels. She was very successful, made the 'face' for a Chanel perfume and the covergirl for a prestigeous womens magazine.

At the time may Thais were puzzled by her success, they considered that she wasn't very beautiful by Thai standards, but the main ctiticism of her was that she was dark skinned.

. Here she is, judge for yourself.

And here she is in reality.

Sadly life at the top can be precarious.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/665103-thai-supermodel-yui-admitted-to-mental-institute/

I actually not know her

You have to just accept the fact that people have different taste. It's not because tan skin is prettier. It's the face

and this is top model from Victoria secret

They were called angel!

Most of girl which get entitle of the most beautiful girl in the world are angel from this Victoria secret

Her name is liu wen

post-243021-14384029174923_thumb.jpgpost-243021-14384029697804_thumb.jpg

Sometime she is tan, sometime fair

My point is

Not only your favorite tan skin isan girl

Can be top model!

Every skin color can ! Even they have light skin!

So you cannot conclude that reality dark skin girl is better!

What about the top model who is farang and very beautiful and fair skin . Why don't you bring it up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No surprise why THAIS are the most DISCRIMINATORY people I have ever experienced!

Not a criticism, just an observation!

They need better education just like those who are less discriminatory received so that they could evolve up and beyond this poor behaviour!

Edited by empireboy

Miss Uganda?, Miss America? Nope Miss Japan 2015. Nivea et al should be pooping their pants right now!

Her winning the Miss Japan contest caused a lot of controversy in Japan because she is of mixed race Japanese/African American. It wouls seem that some Japanese are as xenophobic and racist as some Thais.

To be fair she did win, and interview 1000's of people on the street and you are always going to able to get the results you want.

How many of you remember Yui Rojjana? She hails from Issan and is darkskinned. She was discovered by a modelling agency in Bangkok and went tro America where she became a top model. When she started out she couldn't even walk in high heels. She was very successful, made the 'face' for a Chanel perfume and the covergirl for a prestigeous womens magazine.

At the time may Thais were puzzled by her success, they considered that she wasn't very beautiful by Thai standards, but the main ctiticism of her was that she was dark skinned.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/665103-thai-supermodel-yui-admitted-to-mental-institute/

I actually not know her

You have to just accept the fact that people have different taste. It's not because tan skin is prettier. It's the face

They were called angel!

Most of girl which get entitle of the most beautiful girl in the world are angel from this Victoria secret

Her name is liu wen

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438402913.544785.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438402965.476357.jpg

My point is

Can be top model!

What about the top model who is farang and very beautiful and fair skin . Why don't you bring it up!

There is a huge difference between having a preference and producing educational materials that say dark skin is ugly.

Everything and I mean everything a Thai thinks passes through a "status filter" automatically. The person designing this poster did this subconsciously. There was no deliberate thinking.

It is true ... but not so easy for every one to understand.smile.png

I actually not know her

They were called angel!

Her name is liu wen

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1438402913.544785.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1438402965.476357.jpg

My point is

Can be top model!

We know that light skinned and dark skinned people can be models in other countries, how about Thailand? Could you give some examples of dark skinned girls who have become top models within Thailand, not just since leaving? Are there any?

When Beyonce's concert was advertised on posters around Bangkok, why do you think they felt the need to Photoshop her to have light skin?

Actually Thai's ... esp. the women ... are racist against their own selves because they consider the brown color of their own skin as ugly and collectively they spend billions-of-baht on skin whiteners.

Meanwhile the white-skinned westerners come to Thailand to lay in the sun so their skin gets dark.

Very silly of them all.

I get it that because I like Asian looks better than Western looks, that probably makes me Racist.

What I have an issue with is, because I don't like Tattoos, that it makes me a Tattooist. I promise you I'm not, and I don't need a work permit!!! Yikes.

Everything and I mean everything a Thai thinks passes through a "status filter" automatically. The person designing this poster did this subconsciously. There was no deliberate thinking.

It is true ... but not so easy for every one to understand.smile.png

Errr, if you are producing educational material for impressionable very young kids there is a case to be made for applying some 'deliberate thinking' to what you are doing!

My God! Thats what I find hard to understand.

I actually not know her

They were called angel!

Her name is liu wen

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1438402913.544785.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1438402965.476357.jpg

My point is

Can be top model!

Not sure what that was all about except pictures of attractive girls.

The point is the image on the poster used for ugly was a dark skinned face while the images for beautiful, pretty and handsome were white skinned faces. We all have our preferences and personal opinions, this is normal, what is not correct or normal is the fact that this was being used as an educational tool for children and IMO was totally inappropriate.

I actually not know her

They were called angel!

Her name is liu wen

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438402913.544785.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438402965.476357.jpg

My point is

Can be top model!

There is a huge difference between having a preference and producing educational materials that say dark skin is ugly.

I just mean that comment . Which praise only dark skin people that they are the top

I think most would agree that Thais are racist right? always have been all this HiSo, LoSo BS and "face" the dark skin thing is inbuilt in the patriotism and nationalism that is the construct here

Thais still call foreigners with dark skin "negros". What year are they living in? Clearly in the doldrums.
They have a handful of categories for foreigners.
Black skin = negro
Brown Skin = Indian (everyone with Brown skin is categorized as Indian, even Bangladeshi and Pakistani)
Arabic = probably use dress (clothing) for this category, not skin colour.
They also have a category chinese. Mostly to report on their bad behaviour. They don't have a category for Korean or Japanese.
Probably too hard for their small heads to comprehend all these "races".
One things for sure, as long as one drapes themselves in the national (and Buddhist) flag, this level of racism is only a forgone conclusion.
Edited by meltingpot2015

In a certain American university you can now choose between 6 Gender identifications when you enroll....

I can excuse Thailand this mistake..

I can understand why they find those poster very offensive. And can't forgive it

Because when I read comment and how some people really try to show that dark skin is better esp their typical dark skin isan girl. Which they prefer. I find it offensive.

I have many isan friend that have fairer skin than me by birth not cosmetic or whitening cream. And I also fair or tan . Up with the sun exposure. I can't ignore when people try to brainwashing that tan skin is better than Any skin color

Just another example of how nepotism. corruption and graft gets people jobs they simply cannot do........... what educationalist in his/her right mind would compile this crap and then even consider publishing.....(even if they were racists??)

Lets face it, the dude with the earrings and tats and scar on his face is ugly. Having very dark skin is not generally a trait of beauty and neither is being fat or having scars. Not healthy to point this out to a child with these traits but it is reality. While we in the west have problems with recognizing what is obvious, other countries such as Thailand accept these things.

Having dark skin is generally not a trait of beauty.

That's why white skinned people flock to beaches to get darker skin?

Absolutely and Michael Jackson was a living proof of your saying.tongue.png

"Stupidity: The top of the list for Satanic Sins. The Cardinal Sin of Satanism. Its too bad that stupidity isnt painful. Ignorance is one thing, but our society thrives increasingly on stupidity. It depends on people going along with whatever they are told. The media promotes a cultivated stupidity as a posture that is not only acceptable but laudable. Satanists must learn to see through the tricks and cannot afford to be stupid."

Anton Szandor LaVey

Edited by Bluespunk

Judge for myself

I judge it lol but in my opinion her face look ok with great body . Modeling is about being unique too

But beautiful and dark skin Asian is like this in opinion.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1438399100.092019.jpg

Can say that our taste is different.

look at miss universe or some beauty competition. Your will understand what is beautiful word mean to most people.

Just compare the face lol

Looks more like a bloke

Just another example of how nepotism. corruption and graft gets people jobs they simply cannot do........... what educationalist in his/her right mind would compile this crap and then even consider publishing.....(even if they were racists??)

True. Western racism has has to get a whole lot subtler to survive. Im sure the KKK yearn for the good ol'days when you could call a spade a spade...

Not really surprised by this blatant illustration.

The "ugly" guy is a negro, not a dark-skinned Thai.

How can a population grow up with this kind of racism and not be biased ?

I agree, this is the sort of thing that you say behind their backs, not openly. The pictures are tasteless, granted, but that isn't going to change a child's perceptions but perhaps just reinforce that which is taught at home, in the village, on television etc. How serious is it ? i don't know but in my village recently a totally white skinned Thai girl from Chiang Mai ( her nickname is kao = white ) just married a really dark skinned Thai man from Isaan, i didn't hear anything negative regarding skin colour. Farang are very quick to raise the racist card, ' here sir, me sir, i'm mainstream', i don't think this is racism per se, it is a tasteless representation of what they find appealing and what not.

I used to teach my Thai students that, in America, white women often spent upwards of 2000 baht to lie in a tanning machine for a half hour to make their skins darker. It seems people just want what other people have. I wonder how Chameleons feel about skin color.