MOPH warns public of consuming poisonous mushrooms

Lite Beer

MOPH warns public of consuming poisonous mushrooms

BANGKOK, 01 Aug 2015 (NNT) - The Ministry of Public Health has issued an official warning to the public about consuming poisonous mushroom.

Mushrooms, including the poisonous variations, can easily be found during rainy season.

Since the beginning of this year to July 17th, there were 337 patients suffering from consuming poisonous mushroom in 38 provinces. The majority of the patients were in the Northeast especially Ubon Ratchathani Province, which had 88 patients followed by Chiang Rai which had 29.

Poisonous mushrooms usually start taking effect 2-3 hours after consumption. Patients should experience similar symptoms to having food poisoning, such as feeling nauseous, vomiting, having extreme stomach ache, and diarrhea. Kidney failure may be contracted in an extreme case.

Meanwhile, Disease Control Department Director-General Dr. Sopon Mekthon advised the public to refrain from consuming mushroom with alcohol. He said drinking alcohol would accelerate and intensify poisonous effects.

Patients suspected of having poisonous mushrooms should attempt to induce vomiting and be rushed to the nearest hospital.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-08-01 footer_n.gif

In other news the public was warned not to drink bleach, shit on their meals and drop electric appliances into the water while taking a bath.

Also known as the Goldfinger method of offing oneself (or someone else).

"Shocking, positively shocking."

I remember one of my Thai wifes first visits to Scotland she arrived just in time for the mushroom season so we headed off to the woods and in no time we had 3 plastic bags full so delighted she was going in past my mum on the way home to share her bounty and my mum had a quick look through the haul of mushrooms and we went home with a half bag of edible ones, still pick wild mushrooms yet but only the ones that my mum knew were safe to eat, and we grew up eating when we were young children.

No no. Let natural selection run its course. (sarcasm). Surely the rural population who over centuries learned to safety eat poisonous snakes and insects, know which mushrooms are inedible! (not sarcasm). Give me a break! (genuine sigh).

Edited by jerojero

In other news the public was warned not to drink bleach, shit on their meals and drop electric appliances into the water while taking a bath.

Don't forget the all important "don't run with scissors" & "don't stick your hand in the fan".

Me & 4 or 5 Thai guys I was working with in Phitsanolouk (I think it was), walked in to a restaurant on the Army base. They don't get too many farangs on the Army base so I kinda stuck out.

The nice lady chef had some ANTIQUE metal fan, on its last legs blowing at her, with no grill whatsoever around the blades. It had no electrical plug on it either, just a couple bare wires stuck into the outlet....It would have made an OSHA man in the USA have a heart attack.

I walked over to it like a moth drawn to a flame, stared at it for a second and reached out to stick my hand in the blades. The lady & all my buddies erupted into "MAI CHAI!, Mai Chai!, MAI CHAI!!!!"

smile.pngcheesy.giftongue.png

Edited by jaywalker

I remember one of my Thai wifes first visits to Scotland she arrived just in time for the mushroom season so we headed off to the woods and in no time we had 3 plastic bags full so delighted she was going in past my mum on the way home to share her bounty and my mum had a quick look through the haul of mushrooms and we went home with a half bag of edible ones, still pick wild mushrooms yet but only the ones that my mum knew were safe to eat, and we grew up eating when we were young children.

Morman or muslim eh?

Well I remember last year picking some beautiful looking mushrooms that looked exactly the same as the ones we used to pick in NZ,My Thai Wife watched me and warned me of them being poisonous so prudence got the better of me and they got thrown away.NOW----- when I see mushrooms in the stalls and Supermarkets they all look like the ones we wouldn;t eat at home.Never seen any like I am used to,so how do you tell the poisonous ones? Anyone know?

Morman or muslim eh?

Buddhist and catholic actually, or did you not know Catholics eat mushrooms, I take it you are non mushroom eating Muslim.