NBTC to extend registration of prepaid SIM cards till August 31

Lite Beer

NBTC to extend registration of prepaid SIM cards till August 31

1-8-2558-13-03-12-wpcf_728x403.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) now allows users of cellular prepaid SIM cards another 30 days to register after the deadline for registration expired yesterday July 31.

NBTC secretary general Thakorn Tanthasith said however that the extension of registration until August 31 would mean only those who failed to register their cards by the July 31 deadline could answer calls but could not make calls during the extended period.

But he said these callers could still call 191 emergency numbers only.

After the expiration of the extended period on August 31, they could neither receive or make calls, even the 191 emergency numbers, he said.

The extension of registration of prepaid SIM cards came after 16.9 million users of the prepaid cards still did not register.

He said there are altogether 85.5 million prepaid cards in use but only 68.8 million have registered by the July 31 deadline, or 80.2%.

He said the remaining 16.9 million users have until end if this month to register otherwise they could not be used both to answer or make calls.

He said it was necessary to require registration of all prepaid cards for security reasons as some prepaid cards were used for criminal activities such as drug trafficking and insurgency.

Of the total 68.8 million registered cards, 34.3 million are users of AIS mobile phone service, DTAC 21.2 million users, and True 12.9 million users.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/nbtc-to-extend-registration-of-prepaid-sim-cards-till-august-31

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-08-01

Find out how to register your SIM card here

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If these 16.9 million users did not register within the six months they were allocated, what makes the NBTC think they will do so by allowing another 30 days. Some prepaid cards are used for criminal activity such as drug trafficking and insurgency, so lets give them another 30 days.This country is all talk and no action.

Edited by ldiablo

He said it was necessary to require registration of all prepaid cards for security reasons as some prepaid cards were used for criminal activities such as drug trafficking and insurgency.

Wow. Are there a lot of drug traffickers and insurgents in Thailand?

How does registering a SIM address these criminal activities?

It doesn't seem like the Siam Paragon bomb, or the Koh Samui Central bombs were detonated using mobile phones?

And since 2006, any/every SIM in the four troubled southern provinces have had to be registered. Has this reduced the number of bombs, or made it easier to find the culprits?

I wish they'd just be honest, for a change. It's not like the Thai people can, or will, rebel. They love being told what to do anyway.

Edited by bamnutsak

If these 16.9 million users did not register within the six months they were allocated, what makes the NBTC think they will do so by allowing another 30 days. Some prepaid cards are used for criminal activity such as drug trafficking and insurgency, so lets give them another 30 days.This country is all talk and no action.

Of those 16.9 million sim cards, I wonder how many of them are still even in use?

There have been times when our house (wife, 2 kids and myself) have had up to a dozen different sims for various devices because they either came with or were added at purchase.

I would hate to count the sims not in use if we had kept them.

555 I just stumbled across this now, I had no idea about it and i imagine many Thais living out in villages have no idea aswell,

Can someone here tell me what i need to do to register, can it be done at a 7/11? do i need to go into the city to a AIS kiosk?

Thanks, Deeks

this is why thai people will never learn to be responsible for anyhthing!

have a time limit? ok keep postpone that...

I would be willing to bet that a very large percentage of the 16.9m unregistered SIMs belong or belonged to snowbirds and tourists. Many will arrive expecting to plug in and be able to call. Many will be disappointed. A lot of the SIMs will have been thrown away when people left - and a lot of the returning ones will be too as people just buy a new one, not realising why their existing one has gone dead.

You guy's havin a dig about the extension well last year australia extended swimming pool certification for a year, that was the latest, but over my lifetime living in Aus extensions happened all the time, I dont see it any different here.

I think they found the prate captains with slaves a sea could not report back, since they hover near the port, dump fish and collect fuel, and then head back out without reporting in. It's another step in the right direction for this no-corruption government. Obviously, populist policies are only initiated by the opposition. This government wants to help. It's not populist. Mission accomplished!

What a bunch of bovine feces!

People have known about this for a long time and the responsible people have done it before the deadline.

The irresponsible should be shut down as promised.

It is not difficult and there is no excuse for not complying on time.

This is the kind of thing that encourages the deadbeats to continue to be flakes.

Thailand is full of flakes, both Thai and expat.

Stand by your original requirement and teach the childish to grow up.

Everyone would benefit..

People have known about this for a long time and the responsible people have done it before the deadline.

This is the kind of thing that encourages the deadbeats to continue to be flakes.

Everyone would benefit..

Exactly. The government is setting the bar really low with this kind of behaviour.

Everyone would benefit..

I've been living here for 3 years and i didnt know about it, i live in a village and dont sit infront of a computer screen too often, last time i logged on to TV was in January infact i didnt even know about the coupe for about a month after, my wife has been away working in Aus while im here to do what ever i want and it doesnt include keeping up with the news.

I think they found the prate captains with slaves a sea could not report back, since they hover near the port, dump fish and collect fuel, and then head back out without reporting in. It's another step in the right direction for this no-corruption government. Obviously, populist policies are only initiated by the opposition. This government wants to help. It's not populist. Mission accomplished!

What are you prating on about?

This is a 31 day extension of the period to register SIM cards and you manage to cover illegal fishing vessels, slavery, and a good sarcastic jab at the present administration.clap2.gif .

Everyone would benefit..

I've been living here for 3 years and i didnt know about it, i live in a village and dont sit infront of a computer screen too often, last time i logged on to TV was in January infact i didnt even know about the coupe for about a month after, my wife has been away working in Aus while im here to do what ever i want and it doesnt include keeping up with the news.

Interesting comment.

I guess it is coincidence that you are here online for the first time reading about it the day after the deadline.

It is 2015 and there are things we as responsible adults are required to know about and required to do.

There is no place so remote that you can not take care of business today with a minimal effort.

I too lived in a remote village without internet access for years,

but I did make the minimal effort to be responsible.

post-147745-0-16946800-1438417482_thumb.

Edited by willyumiii

This is what is wrong with both this country and it's culture. Send a message to the lemmings that you have created that for once in your pathetic sad lives you actually mean what you say. No more extensions , no more the dog ate my homework

Thailand is in hot water international on several fronts for exactly the same thing .failure to deliver.

The previous strong arm of the junta has left town and happiness for the people is being achieved by having their ass kissed.

6 months , register a phone or loose it. where is the problem, just cut them off.

555 I just stumbled across this now, I had no idea about it and i imagine many Thais living out in villages have no idea aswell,

Can someone here tell me what i need to do to register, can it be done at a 7/11? do i need to go into the city to a AIS kiosk?

Thanks, Deeks

I did mine at 7/11 with passport. AIS

Thanks, Deeks

Well well, how ironic is this,555 I just went down the road to buy a couple of bottles of LEO and beautiful Dong the shop owner told me in her broken english "sim card legista" and that i can do it down the road at the local mobile phone shop, so as usual didnt need to be up to date with the news anyway, life just goes on as usual in these lovely little villages maypenrai, so i think ill log off TV for another half year or so, and leave all the negetivity and complaining on this thread to you guys, (not everyone, just the whingers and whiners) I say to them to just accept life here as it is and you will be much happier and probably live longer too, pum rak thai.

Thanks, Deeks

I did mine at 7/11 with passport. AIS

Thankyou.