Moving to Thailand in the near future, not sure which visa

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forums. I've read a few threads here over the past few years, but this is my first post!

I'm a 43yr old English guy currently living in Saudi. I have a thai wife who is here with me. I moved companies recently and got my fingers seriously burnt. Cost me an arm and a leg, so I resigned and am currently stuck here in Saudi with a court case pending...

Hopefully I will be allowed to leave within the next few weeks and we (me and the wife) are planning to move to Thailand, not sure yet where we will settle, but at first we will be at the in-laws in Ubon Ratchathani.

I think I have a bit of an understanding of the visa process, but it's not totally clear, so I'm hoping you guys can help advise me on my best option.

I plan to stay on basis of marriage. Marriage papers were legalised in Bangkok in 2012.

I've been to thailand 11 times over the past 2 years, but always visa exempt (4 weeks stay each time)

I understand that if I enter this time on visa exempt, I would have to leave again (Vientiane maybe) and re-enter on a visa which could then be extended, but this seems like an unnecessary extra cost.

There's a Thai embassy in Saudi, in Riyadh, so I'm thinking I can get a visa there, but it's not clear to me what visa I need or what I need to have to satisfy the criteria... I'm not really sure of the criteria.

I hope you guys can clarify this for me.

Thanks in advance

Simon

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

You need a single entry Non O visa based on marriage from which you can obtain a one year extension of stay.

You will need 400,000 Bht in a Thai bank or 40,000 Bht/ income evidenced by the British Embassy in Bangkok.

Best wishes and I hope you secure that Saudi exit visa in the very near future.

Edited by nowretired

Thanks,

I've got a Thai bank account but currently only a couple of thousand baht in it. The ATM card and pin arrived at the in-laws just after I left so I've been reluctant to put 400,000 in it. Also I read there's a 2 month requirement, which I won't be able to meet. Is there another option?

Currently no income....

You can get a 12 month Non-O Multi-Entry from Savannakhet in Laos, based on marriage. No proof of funds needed.

Come on no visa, get 30 days, then go there and get that within the first few weeks.

With it you will need to leave the country every 90 days.

It will give you time to get everything needed for a 12 month Extension based on marriage (funds, etc.)

The only other option I can think of would be to obtain a tourist visa which would give a 60 day entry which can be extended by 30 days for 1900 Bht at an immigration office .

You could then go to Savanakhet ,Laos and apply for a one year multiple entry visa based on marriage. This visa would give 90 day entries and would require border runs.

There currently is no need to show any financials for this visa.

NB

Toward the end of the tourist visa you could apply for a 60 day extension to "visit" your wife. 1900 Bht from immigration.

If you secure a one year multiple entry visa from Savanakhet ,Laos the visa will provide 90 day entries for one year. You would have to leave the country every 90 days, enter another country and return for another 90 day entry.

Travel arrangements are your decision but you will need to budget for the cost of visas into a second country.

Just to clarify the post about 400,000 baht in a Thai bank account for two months. This is what you require for the extension inside Thailand. The requirements for a Non Immigrant O visa vary from consulate to consulate. If evidence of funds is required, a foreign bank account can contain the money. Thus, you can transfer the money into Thailand just after you arrive and will still be able to meet the requirements for your first extension.

• Like 1

Is there a minimum length of time that I would need to stay in Laos? Can I go for a coffee and come back or do I need to stay a night or two?

It sounds fun to do... but I think it'll be a pain in reality...

Could I get single entry based on marriage from Savanakhet and then get a one year extention of that? Thus avoiding the border runs?

Is it possible that no proof of funds needed in Riyadh also? If I applied and was refused would it cause me a problem later?

Last thought, do I need copy of wife's house book?

If you have the money to top up your bank account to 400k, the account must be in your name only, the easiest would be to come with no visa and get a visa exempt entry. You could then go to Savannakhet and get a single entry Non-O and extend that for 1 year during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry.

If you don't have the cash you could go the multiple entry Non-O route.

The only problem that you might have is with the Airline. They might not let you board your flight to Thailand without a ticket exiting within 30 days of entry..

Is there a minimum length of time that I would need to stay in Laos? Can I go for a coffee and come back or do I need to stay a night or two?

It sounds fun to do... but I think it'll be a pain in reality...

Could I get single entry based on marriage from Savanakhet and then get a one year extention of that? Thus avoiding the border runs?

Is it possible that no proof of funds needed in Riyadh also? If I applied and was refused would it cause me a problem later?

Last thought, do I need copy of wife's house book?

There is no minimum length of stay in Laos if doing a border run (i.e. not visiting a consulate to apply for a fresh visa). Note that, if you are in Ubon, you may find Chong Mek the most convenient place to do it.

Yes, if you meet the requirements and do not want to travel, a single entry Non O and one year extension of the permission to stay is a perfectly good option.

According to http://www.thaiembassy.org/riyadh/contents/files/services-20121031-135813-337709.pdf, the Riyadh consulate does not seem to require evidence of funds. However, the consulate websites are not always accurate. I would advise you to contact them to ask what they need for a Non O visa on the basis of marriage.

You probably do not need a copy of the house book in Riyadh, but would for the extension.

Thanks guys.

All things considered. I think getting a single Non O based on marriage from Riyadh followed by 1 year extension would be my cheapest option.

Possible stumbling block is Looking on their website, they mention I need to show them a return ticket and an exit re-entry visa for Saudi....

I won't have either... lol I'll give em a ring see what they say.

Failing that I'll come visa exempt and then pop to Savanakhet for a single entry.

With regards to the airline not letting me board, I flew 1-way from Saudi to Bangkok last year no problem so hopefully I'll be OK this time. I'll use same airline.

Thanks again guys!

To make it easy on yourself plse do not listen to these guys that talk about VISA-run and all that shit.... You have suggestions from 2 guys that suggest that you buy a non immigrant O based on marriage, you buy it at Riyadh. Buy a single entry ( 3 months validity).

Go to Thailand with that, directly deposit your funds, at least 400.000 banht) in your bankaccount, mind you, in YOUR name only, for two months and YOU ARE GOOD TO GO.....

Than during the last month of these 3 months on that VISA, go to your local immigration and apply for a yearly extension, which can be done year after year after year as long as you wish.

You will need a document from the bank showing your saldo at that date you go to the Immigration and apply, check that up.. But besides that, there are a couple of demands document-wise and photographs etc to fullfill, but you can easyli do it.

Glegolo

• Like 1

You will not need to show money in the bank to get a single entry non-o visa at the embassy in Riyadh or the consulate in Jeddah.

Then put the money in your bank account after you get here and apply for the extension.

If you secure a one year multiple entry visa from Savanakhet ,Laos the visa will provide 90 day entries for one year. You would have to leave the country every 90 days, enter another country and return for another 90 day entry.

Travel arrangements are your decision but you will need to budget for the cost of visas into a second country.

"If you secure a one year multiple entry visa ..."

Why would he need a one year multi-entry visa? A single entry would give him adequate time to get his financials sorted out and would enable him to apply for the extension of stay based on marriage without the need for border runs.

Ok, so if I get a single entry non O visa and then extend for 1 year based on marriage, can I then come and go, in and out of thailand as and when I please?

Yes with a multiple re-entry permit. Cost Bt 3,800.

Does a single non O visa have a spicifified date of entry or is it valid for a set period?

and if so how long is it valid for entry?

Does a single non O visa have a spicifified date of entry or is it valid for a set period?

and if so how long is it valid for entry?

A single entry non O visa gives a 90 day entry and the visa must be used on or before the "enter before date" which will be clearly indicated on the visa.

To stay longer would require you to apply for an extension of stay based on marriage.

I want to move to Thailand, but I wont get a job i dont think, carpenter or armed security. and i dont really understand this visa stuff. good luck on you court case hope you win

ok, here are what i learnt from the posts. please correct me if i'm wrong.

to live in thailand under a marriage visa (wife is thai):

1. apply for a single entry 90 days non-o visa based on marriage at a thai consular/embassy outside of thailand.

2. enter into thailand. register a bank account solely under my name and transfer in 400,00baht (rest in the account for at least 2 months).

3. apply for a multiple entry permit if i would like to go in and out of thailand during the stay.

4. apply for 1 year extension of stay (based on marriage) 30 days prior to the expiry of the current non-o visa.

5. continue to apply/renew for another 1 year extension of stay each and every year prior to expiry.

questions:

1. can i cash out the 400,000baht after the 1 year extension of stay has been granted? and deposit it back to the account before the next application of 1 year extension?

2. must i visit the immigration office in BKK to apply for multiple entry permit as well as 1 year extension of stay? can it be done at any other immigration offices?

3. do i need to report to the immigration office every 90 days after the 1 year extension of stay has been granted? if yes, must it be the immigration office in BKK or any immigration office will do?

very appreciated if someone could spare some times for answering. thanks!

1. Yes But not until you get the one year extension stamp after the 30 day under consideration period.

2. You do every thing at your local immigration office.

3. You will need to do the 90 reports to the office where you got your extension.

• Like 1

4. apply for 1 year extension of stay (based on marriage) 30 days prior to the expiry of the current non-o visa.

Does this need to be done 30 days before end of permission to stay??

Or does the 30 day Under Consideration stamp effectively give you an extension if you do it later?

Edited by streboris

1. Yes But not until you get the one year extension stamp after the 30 day under consideration period.

2. You do every thing at your local immigration office.

3. You will need to do the 90 reports to the office where you got your extension.

thanks ubonjoe for replying wai2.gif

Does this need to be done 30 days before end of permission to stay??

Or does the 30 day Under Consideration stamp effectively give you an extension if you do it later?

that's what i learnt from the posts. can ubonjoe please enlighten?

oh by the way, i think the online 90 day reporting is already available since Apr 2015. this is great!