Will I have enough to Live in Udon Thani with this

BarrieSawadee

As for TV everybody on here needs to look into something called KODI it is a free downloadable programme with all of the World`s TV and Movies on it and it is free including all of the Sky channels just plud Your Computer into Your TV "HDMI Lead" I guess You only know what You know in this World

No internet in many rural locations.

Never internet in your gfs village, she left there for a reason.

Hiya We are just in the middle of building an extremely small sort of weekend house next to where My GF built a house for Herself and Her Mother Years ago when She first came to the UK.We have just put Internet in there granted not Fibre Optics it is well adequate for streaming though

I am sure She did leave there for a reason certainly not a reason that You know anything about though

Plus it is not in an actual Thai Wooden Village nor is the Land that I have Purchased

Cheers for Your assumptions

Barrie

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before I got real serious with lady & Isaan, I suggest that you do a research tour - SOLO.

Go to historical places with cultural significance eg Soi Cowboy in BKK; Pattaya - do it all. Warning - you might just enjoy the research too much. At your tender age, come to LOS - play hard - very hard!

Tell your lady that you are ordaining as a monk for a short time.

Hiya this goes out to rgs2001UK

Why is My 3 Million for the build BS that is what I said My budget is for the build ?

To build a decent Premises like I have always promised Myself and in Thailand

You say You don`t need to read it all ?I hope that We can do Business someday because all of My money worries will be gone biggrin.png

Won`t even Mention the Land why wouldn`t You that isn`t an opinion is it ?

The Land We bought We looked for for quite a While and it is exactly what We wanted and where We wanted it

Cheap rented Land really wouldn`t have done that

Cheers

Barrie

^^^^, Learn to speak and read Thai, then you will understand, where did this figure of 3 million baht come from, who quoted it?

My best advice to you, come here and rent a condo in On Nut for 4k baht per month for one year, enrol at some place like UTL language school for one year, it only costs 6k baht per month, your mrs can get a job in the Yam Yam factory earning 12k baht per month while you study.

What kind of land did you actually buy, was it legal to actually buy it?

Never yet met a Thai who didnt have land somewhere upcountry, thats from any one my Thai friends from Buriram, Surin, Ubon, Nakon Nayok, Lam Pang or Nan.

Never mind press on, this is like watching the Titanic, I dont need to watch to the end to know how it will finish.

If your girl wants to live like a farmer, why doesnt she take up with a local, at least they share a common language culture and values.

Wait til the locals get started on her, if he loves you why doesnt he buy you a car etc etc etc.

Before I got real serious with lady & Isaan, I suggest that you do a research tour - SOLO.

Go to historical places with cultural significance eg Soi Cowboy in BKK; Pattaya - do it all. Warning - you might just enjoy the research too much. At your tender age, come to LOS - play hard - very hard!

Tell your lady that you are ordaining as a monk for a short time.

Hiya fang37

Cheers for Your feedback as always though I have an answer biggrin.png

Been there done that and honestly I have partied very hard for nearly 30 Years and not just in the UK

I actually grew bored of it seroiulsy

I like a night out now and then for sure not that often and not something that I would actually miss

I still visit Pattaya now and then and love having a laugh with the Girls sort them out with drinks and off the bill tips "for themselves" and that is as far as it goes I had an experience with a Go Go Girl from World A Go Go in Pattaya good fun but I actually do want to settle down and something that I won`t do is <deleted> around behind Her back My parents divorced when I was Young so infidelity is not something I do

My GF isn`t a model or anything She is amzing to Me and She is quite simply amazing She is a real trength to Me

Regarding BKK Yep Sukhumvit mainly Soi 4 and a bit of Cowboy all good fun and I actually do intend to do My Monk Hood as well that is in a small Temple outside of Chaiyaphum biggrin.png

Cheers Barrie

As for doing business, heres something for free, buy 5 condos in Bkk right now before you are married, you do know about Thai divorce law dont you?

Rent them out and live off the income.

Hiya rgs2001uk

Is this a serious proposal as I will look into if so though I am a bit wary after Your previous Post

Cheers

Barrie

^^^^, Learn to speak and read Thai, then you will understand, where did this figure of 3 million baht come from, who quoted it?

My best advice to you, come here and rent a condo in On Nut for 4k baht per month for one year, enrol at some place like UTL language school for one year, it only costs 6k baht per month, your mrs can get a job in the Yam Yam factory earning 12k baht per month while you study.

What kind of land did you actually buy, was it legal to actually buy it?

Never yet met a Thai who didnt have land somewhere upcountry, thats from any one my Thai friends from Buriram, Surin, Ubon, Nakon Nayok, Lam Pang or Nan.

Never mind press on, this is like watching the Titanic, I dont need to watch to the end to know how it will finish.

If your girl wants to live like a farmer, why doesnt she take up with a local, at least they share a common language culture and values.

Wait til the locals get started on her, if he loves you why doesnt he buy you a car etc etc etc.

Hiya again

You did I think anyway.On post 60 "3 Million THB on a House BS" I am just unsure of why You would say that

The land is 3.5 Rai the 1.5 Rai at the rear is Rice Land The 2 Rai at the front has been raised already 2 Years ago 2.5 Metres or so and is effectively fronting on to the Road/Street right Oposite quite a nice Temple

and Full Chanote for sure

Please realise that My relationship with My GF certainly doesn`t seem like most on here judging by their experiences/attitudes I do wonder why some of them are actually still in Thailand

She actually has Money of Her own,She didn`t grow up with Her Parents or any of Her siblings She grew up in Chaiyaphum with Her Grandparents and to be fair had a pretty hard Life that is why She is so strong now I think

Her Mother/Siblings know this and this comes across so strongly when We are with them.She owes no-one anything attitude that is Her way and no it is not a buffalo story

I have probably read all of the bad luck stories on here and I am well aware of those pitfalls

Titanic My ass does everybody fail then even doing it this way ?

She doesn`t particularly mind I would like to though and it really isn`t Living like a Thai farmer Farmer.Farming 1.5 Rai of Land and some of that will be a pond and Having all of the Western House Luxuries that I choose

We are not on an actual Thai Village as such either Oh and She doesn`t drive

Fair questions though

Cheers Barrie

You will never know unless you give it a go.

Although a lot say take it slowly,infrastructure will cost alot more to build in 5 years than now.

Make sure you get hi-speed internet and generator for power black outs.

Its all about trust and i'm sure you wouldn't consider moving here if there was none.

600,000 a year to live is realistic.I'm nearly your age and been here 11 years but have outdoor hobbies.

Hiya farmerjo

Really nice to hear this even though the other posts are all seriously wise advice

That is one of My reasons for asking I know that building costs etc.are going to rise as well as the cost of living here

Internet deof and Yeah good call on the Generator

Would love to ask You some questions on PM some time I don`t suppose You live near Udon Thani do You ?

I am an active person when I want to be I train everyday and no not in a Gym just literally Me and a field love My motorbikes and to be fair I love being around the Thais it doesn`t all have to be about deep and meaningful conversations I have laughed for hours with them without having to know every word

Cheers for letting Me know that You have done it at a young age as well Man

Barrie

I'm sorry to have to tell you that you are viewing all this through "rose tinted spectacles!"

First off your 250,000 baht is not nearly enough, 4 times that should be a starting point!

Do not, repeat DO NOT sell your property in the UK. That will increase in value but property here increases very little if at all!

At 45 you are far too young to take up Thai life style and although you're trying to convince yourself you won't, I would be willing to bet money that you will be bored before you're 50!

EDITED

You really do need to step back and think about what you are doing and take things a lot slower!

Good luck whatever you decide!

This post is about living in Thailand. You seem to be living in the dark ages.

The OP is asking for advice and all you can come up with is a stupid comment! Most of your posts seem to be the same!

If you cannot think of anything useful I suggest you crawl back under your stone and stay there!!

Hi again Barrie. Sorry to have to use your thread to put down a rather stupid poster, that's how it goes on here at times.

I won't go on about selling your house and things but just want to point out one thing that people seem to be missing.

You've told us your monetary position as it stands now but have you thought about 10, 20 or even 30 years time?

At 44/45 you have not built up enough years for a full UK pension. I know you would get a reduced one.

Do you have a company or private pension?

You might get by right now but as you get older you will need extra income as things wear out including yourself!

250,000/350,000 may be doable now but in 10 years time will not be enough!

I really think that you and GF working in UK for at least another 10 years would make your position so much easier!

I'm sorry to have to tell you that you are viewing all this through "rose tinted spectacles!"

First off your 250,000 baht is not nearly enough, 4 times that should be a starting point!

Do not, repeat DO NOT sell your property in the UK. That will increase in value but property here increases very little if at all!

At 45 you are far too young to take up Thai life style and although you're trying to convince yourself you won't, I would be willing to bet money that you will be bored before you're 50!

EDITED

You really do need to step back and think about what you are doing and take things a lot slower!

Good luck whatever you decide!

This post is about living in Thailand. You seem to be living in the dark ages.

The OP is asking for advice and all you can come up with is a stupid comment! Most of your posts seem to be the same!

If you cannot think of anything useful I suggest you crawl back under your stone and stay there!!

I wonder why you have cropped your post before replying??

The piece to which I was referring is not quoted. You obviously now think that it was wide of the mark.

Thanks for making that apparent.

Hi again Barrie. Sorry to have to use your thread to put down a rather stupid poster, that's how it goes on here at times.

I won't go on about selling your house and things but just want to point out one thing that people seem to be missing.

You've told us your monetary position as it stands now but have you thought about 10, 20 or even 30 years time?

At 44/45 you have not built up enough years for a full UK pension. I know you would get a reduced one.

Do you have a company or private pension?

You might get by right now but as you get older you will need extra income as things wear out including yourself!

250,000/350,000 may be doable now but in 10 years time will not be enough!

I really think that you and GF working in UK for at least another 10 years would make your position so much easier!

For as little as 1900 baht a month you can pay your contributions and top up to obtain a full UK pension.

At 45 years old alrerady the OP is going to receive the pension at 67.

Edited by puchooay

3 mill. for a build, ex land, is a fair price to build something nice and equip it to a decent standard. Sure it's possible to get away cheaper, make it smaller, use lower quality, use C Grade tiles, have to ak yourself though, why would you when you don't have to. Now if the OP would have said 500k or 10 mill., I would have said no way, but 3 mill. is very fair.

Just keep the house in the UK and let a letting agency look after it for you this way they can sort out insurance and any problems that you might have regarding bad tenants etc and remember never spend purchase more in Thailand than you can just walk away from if some major problem arises here in Thailand be it family or medical. Always have an opt out plan for the future.

Personally I cannot follow what has been paid for and what hasn't

Land paid for

(Wonder why you do n ot mention what you paid...are you that sure you got a good deal???)***

***That would be a good indicator as to how the rest of your plans might go

Generally, whatever you pay for consider lost

You will have to pay to get half of whatever back

As for 'a rock-solid relationship'......I have heard it too many times...

250,000 baht/year is only 20,000 baht per month.......not much at all....especially if you will have to be paying workers to get things done....

Good luck

I'm about 10 years ahead of you in that we have been married for that long. I've got a marionette in the UK that has been rented through an excellent agent just outside London near the M1 and M25 for the last 25 years.

If you can get a good agent then don't sell the house.

As to the land you can get an Usufruct that is for life much better than a 30 year lease. There is some debate over the possibility that if it is done after marriage it may be able to be cancelled by a divorce. However if you get it before marriage neither marriage nor divorce makes any difference. But if you do breakup having a legal right to live on the land makes no difference if the local people want you out.

If you want more information you can PM me

Just remember the land you have bought is probably either in your girl friend's name or buy so called company name. In either way probably you can never sell it again. Whatever you will build has the same fate.

Now it is up to you to sell your house in UK or not. Just imagine your future with the facts.

Anyway 20 000 Baht a month is not a big deal and you have to live probably hand to mouth too.

If it was me ( which it is not...) i would NOT sell the house in the UK.It is your back up if it all goes " Pete Tong " in Thailand. I am sure your'e Thai lady is very nice but nobody can predict the future...Get your lady to go out and work,it will bring in an income and also give you both some " independence "( the most important word in a healthy relationship ).Your current relationship status might well be compared to a " Gone with the wind " movie at the moment but it's also rather interesting in a relationship that when you possibly hit " financial turbulence " These Thai ladies can disappear faster than a " Paul Daniels magic card trick " .....

Farang Jaidee wai2.gif

I think you are more than safe if u have a working brain but would NEVER sell Uk property but rent it out. I would also NOT Inform Thai gf/wife about status of global finances. None of her biz. 555, in fact I would skip the whole gf thingy ;)

no one on this forum know what is going to happen tomorrow. we are in uncharted economic territory.

what will the exchange rate be in thirty years?

policies of your UK government? USA government? China?

What type of government in Thailand?

have you projected forward and factored in inflation?

i used excel to build a spread sheet to project costs forward for 20 years. Look at 2% inflation per year.

don't forget ongoing costs like bank service and transfer fees, immigration fees, drivers license fees, fuel, entertainment or hobbies, your Thai extended family, travel back to UK for family emergencies or holidays, vehicle maintenance, house maintenance, taxes, tools, clothing, shoes, new electronics, internet, cellphone, higher electricity costs, medications, health insurance, dental, divorce and unexpected costs like minor to serious injuries and having all your belongings stolen.

Trying to still save money is also important at 45 years old.

Are you going to have cash in the bank for Thai immigration requirements for 30 years or more?

To plan for 30 to 40 more years is not easy. I am 59 and living in Thailand and the laws are changing so fast here and in the USA.

I fully expect to be told in the future social security will not be paid out if you live abroad. Anything is possible.

Why "buy" property you don't really own when you can rent super cheap Thai style houses all over the country?

25 years - your likely life expectancy - is much too long to plan with the money you have. Too many variables to consider/control.

And I believe you will find that you will get very bored if you are not engaged in some activity.

You would be much better served if you could find some sort of business you could engage from your residence, even if it made almost no money, but perfect if it made enough for you to live on without having to spend your savings. A simple online business comes to mind.

Basically, you're talking about retiring at age 45. That is, having no income stream other than the assets you current have and/or own, which is perfectly normal for a retiree.

Let's say you were to retire at age 45 in the UK. How would you decide if you'll have enough funds for the rest of your life? You would make a budget, of course, and see how that relates to your assets and any income you can generate from them. This process should be no different for retiring in Thailand versus retiring in the UK (although some of the line items in your budget might be very different). So basically, you'll end up with a monthly/annual budget, and an assessment of you current assets as well as a projection of your anticipated income derived from your assets.

In developing your budget, the significant line items for living in Thailand (assuming you own your home and vehicles) will be Utilities (electricity, internet, water, cable tv, etc), Telecom (cell phones), Health Insurance (without it, one illness/accident can wipe you out financially), Food/Groceries, Gas/Petrol, Home Furnishings, and Travel & Entertainment (including funding any trips back to the UK). It would also be wise to budget a little something for savings. Also, remember that you need to adjust your budget each year to account for inflation.

Now that you've got your budget - take a look at your assets, and how they can help you meet the demands of your budget. If you can rent out your home in the UK for 250,000 baht/year keep in mind that you'll most likely have to pay for the services of a property manager to look after the property and handle any issues that may come up (typically about 10% of the rental proceeds). You'll also need to consider maintenance costs, and any periods of time in which the property will be vacant. This could reduce the income generated by your home to about 200 - 225k per year, or about 18,000 baht per month. Now look at your savings in the UK - the stock market isn't looking very promising these days for most people, and the interest income from decent bonds, CDs and bank accounts is just about nil. You'll need to work up a projection for the future income stream, so make an assumption as to how much the rent you charge will increase each year, as well as any interest/dividend income you might derive from your savings.

If you don't want to go through the whole projection exercise on your assets, you can take the following shortcut. Assuming you'll never sell the UK house, and it will be left to your wife or family when you die, just use the following formula to calculate how much you can siphon off of your assets to fund your retirement:

(Net Monthly UK Rental Income) + (4% of Savings)/12 = Total Available Monthly Cash

(the 4% is what most experts recommend as an annual maximum to withdraw from their retirement savings starting at normal retirement age, and assuming a normal annual rate of return on the balance)

Finally take your monthly budget and compare to your total available monthly cash (above), and draw your own conclusion.

Op. My buddy started coming to Thailand in 80s with 10x more money in the bank and several properties in the west. He earned after taxes during his career between 4000-7500 euro per month. He has no kids. Etc. In other words he had very little to worry about. At present he lost several pickups, several houses, millions if thb and several honest caring #wifes# in los. He's 68 now and has still not learned from his mistakes. Lol. So again the most important factor is BRAIN not money...

I reckon you're too young for a permanent move.. Work hard and save for another five years. You and your GF can make much more in the UK then you ever can in Thailand. Spend all your holidays in Thailand. Put in place all your property improvements (ponds, fences, bores, landscape/fruit trees, driveway, house pad etc).

I've been in Thailand for 18 months, but am 55 and have a pension. I started like you building a new house, buying a car etc. I've always wanted to have a bit of land to rehabilitate, attract wildlife and keep a few exotic pets. Well, that is what I am doing on our 5 Rai near Mahasaraham.

I don't think you have enough money. Another poster mentioned long term costs. I started on a pension of 100,000 Baht per month 18 months ago. Since then the Aussie dollar has gone down 20% against the Baht so I am down to 80,000 Baht. Under Australian law I have to pay tax at a flat 33% if I am living overseas for more than 12 months which has taken me down to 65,000 Baht. Plus part of my pension is dependent on the stock market which is currently down about 10%. So now I get about 58,000 Baht per month. This is only after 18 months. Maybe it will be cheaper to live in Australia after another 18 months, but I have put my savings into Thailand and have nothing left in Australia. Don't sell your UK house just now, keep your options open.

I reckon you need about 60,000 - 80,000 Baht to live comfortably. You can live on much less, but without luxuries. If you don't chase girls, your wife/relatives are undemanding,and you have no rent, so much the better.