National Park Scam?

chrissables

If they start charging me 10 X the price of a Thai, I will probably take a massive dump on the floor of their toilets, make em work for it! Greedy fools. Applying Western logic in this place can never apply, the way we Westerners (or at least me) used to look at it was, "Jesus are these people for real? They are going to kill the goose that laid the golden egg type of thing, they are hammering their income by overcharging scamming robbing the people that come here and spend money.

My personal opinion is that those in charge don't give a flying F$$K whether they lose income from foreigners in the least, they in many cases hate us and are embarrassed that they are not on the same social level as Western countries.

In a lot of ways, they would probably be happier if we all just left.

And given the current political situation, when they kick out all of the foreigners, they would be pretty happy to just behave like the Khmer Rouge, all of the peasants in their minds would be sent for re education or death camps. The problem as far as I see it is that they cannot quite balance the cash, they need international help, but as soon as they became truly independent or able to break away, this place would make North Korea look like Butlins!

Wow - what a hateful person you are.... "in many cases hate us and are embarrassed that they are not on the same social level as Western countries." Are you sure you know and understand Thai people??

With the way you feel, I think everybody will be happy to see you pack and leave

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Travel through the Thai national parks on a regular basis. Khao Yai is the only park that has charged more when I presented a Thai DL. The local foreigners tell me this is a recent event. Was able to enter on a bicycle for the S. Entrance for the Thai price but the N. entrance - 400 bt! Had no ethical issues with entering the park before 5:30 and paying nothing.

I've gotten into some parks with my Thai DL and got the "local" price. Other times, no way. So, I just drive off.

Great idea. So when you go with wife, son in law, his wife and child, grand daughter and grandson, after a 2 hour drive, you just turn round.

I only paid Farang price twice in three years.

The way I look at it is that ,in principle, it is wrong to charge foreigners who are resident here more.

However, I don't go to national parks that often, maybe a few times a year. It takes so much time ,effort and money to organize trips.Is it really worth giving up a great day out just because of a principle???

I was recently charged full price in Khao Sam Roi Yoy park. I was nice about it so they let my son in for free.We had an amazing day that we will never forget.If I was stubborn like the OP we would've had a shit day. Life is too short.Pay the few hundred baht extra and live your life to the full....

By the way many countries charge double prices to foreigners.In Europe we also do it but we are more subtle.In the UK many of the top tourist destinations have ridiculous prices.They only sell yearly passes.In effect this is double pricing as foreigners on holidays for two weeks are not gonna have the opportunity to go again but residents will...Thailand is not subtle but at least we know they are doing it!!

Stubborn, yes!

They had stamped the ticket before my motorbike had even stopped, there was (still is) no way they knew my girlfriend was not Thai, so that was a scam.

Secondly my girlfriend has a salary. I asked her would she pay? No was the answer.

Sometimes one must stick to one's principles.

You simply look at it in the wrong way - and that what makes you upset. Like it or not - these are the rules and regulations, and you know it. So when you plan a trip to a national park you can do it in 2 ways:

1. Know before you even leave home that they are going to try and charge you the farang price, get all steamed up and ready to fight for it, and when you finally arrive at the park - if you "win" and pay the local price enjoy the "winning" more than the actual nature trip. If you "lose" you get even more upset as you "lost" and now you turned back without the actual outdoor day you planned.

2. Know before you leave home that there are 2 sets of prices and budget the higher price into the day's expenses calculations. Get to the park, smile and ask for a local's price in your best Thai and show your Thai DL. If you get the lower price, you have another reason to enjoy the day. If you don't - it doesn't matter as you already planned for the higher price, and as claffey said - enjoy the day for the actual planned activity.

The guys at the gate don't make the rules nor have any say about it. They don't know nor care how much tax you pay compared to any other Thai or non Thai person, They don't try to evaluate your financial situation based on the type of vehicle you drive - all this is way above their pay grade. They have a job to do and seems they do it correctly by following the rules and charging you what the rules say they should. And if your GF is non Thai - they were charging her the correct price as well - according to the rules.

I've gotten into some parks with my Thai DL and got the "local" price. Other times, no way. So, I just drive off.

Great idea. So when you go with wife, son in law, his wife and child, grand daughter and grandson, after a 2 hour drive, you just turn round.

I only paid Farang price twice in three years.

Don't travel with an extended family like that, so can't comment. But in your situation, I'd just pay. Not that big of a deal.

We were at some obscure park in Eastern Thailand. They refused to give me the Thai price. It was late in the day and we would have only had an hour or so to explore the place. Wasn't worth it, so we kept driving. I think they wanted 200B, or something like that. Wifey tried to get them to relent. But no deal.

I was at a well known park last year and could have walked in without paying. Our hotel was partly inside the park boundary. But, wanted to do the right thing. Paid 400B, 20B for my wife.

The trails were NOT maintained. Signs were missing and we got "lost" a few times. Actually gave up trying to find one waterfall. There were bridges that had been washed out for years. Hand rails that were falling apart. Sections of steps were missing and you had to be very careful how you proceeded. When we got to a viewpoint, it hadn't been cleared in years. You could see absolutely nothing. The toilets were disgusting. And on the "walking" trail were lots of scooters going back and forth. The walking trail was basically a dirt road.

Compare this to parks in Europe and the US, where you pay about the same amount of money. You can't.

The way I look at it is that ,in principle, it is wrong to charge foreigners who are resident here more.

However, I don't go to national parks that often, maybe a few times a year. It takes so much time ,effort and money to organize trips.Is it really worth giving up a great day out just because of a principle???

I was recently charged full price in Khao Sam Roi Yoy park. I was nice about it so they let my son in for free.We had an amazing day that we will never forget.If I was stubborn like the OP we would've had a shit day. Life is too short.Pay the few hundred baht extra and live your life to the full....

By the way many countries charge double prices to foreigners.In Europe we also do it but we are more subtle.In the UK many of the top tourist destinations have ridiculous prices.They only sell yearly passes.In effect this is double pricing as foreigners on holidays for two weeks are not gonna have the opportunity to go again but residents will...Thailand is not subtle but at least we know they are doing it!!

Stubborn, yes!

They had stamped the ticket before my motorbike had even stopped, there was (still is) no way they knew my girlfriend was not Thai, so that was a scam.

Secondly my girlfriend has a salary. I asked her would she pay? No was the answer.

Sometimes one must stick to one's principles.

Do you have a Thai Dirvers License or Work Permit?

She has a salary from where exactly? How is that relavent to the discussion?

I can normally tell what nationalities Asian people are and I am not even Asian. You really think that Thai people can't tell when someone isnt Thai? Dead giveaway may be that she didnt speak Thai to them?

Same same thing at the beach near Sattahip near Pattaya, I simply turn around and will not entertain this bullshit.

It's plain racists act of stupidity and their slowly killing their own tourist industry..

Sai keaw beach is that?

Geez, here we go again...

A friend in USA returned to NY State and wanted to play a golf course that he played as a kid. He no longer could get the "locals" price because he moved out of state.

State Schools on a University level charge more for out of state residents. And this is not small money.

That is just life. The Thai National Park that I go to regularly in my area seems to charge me a different price every time I go and often let me in free too… I just make a joke of it and pay what they ask. They have employees and upkeep.

Sometimes you just have to accept life as it is…

As i got to the desk where they were taking payments, (This was 50 meters before the "real" entrance) The lady taking the money stamped two tickets before i had even stopped my bike, she said 800+ (can't remember if + was 20 or 40 baht)

40 baht a ticket X tenfold for foreigners = 400 baht X 2 foreigners = 800 Baht.

They obviously knew your g/f wasn't Thai just by looking!

Vote with your feet and take large steps in the opposite direction...........their loss.

It's recently come to light that EuroDisney has been charging different prices for different Nationalities, the difference being that is under investigation.

Doi Suthep and Prasing 'temples' in Chiang Mai have signs in English directing foreigners to ticket booths. My wife spends a lot of money and time visiting temples and making merit. I normally enjoy joining her. However, those 2 'temples' turn my stomach. If I visit, I create a confrontation.

Fortunately, it's easy to get away from this disney-world form of Buddhism and visit real temples and meet committed Buddhist monks.

Same same thing at the beach near Sattahip near Pattaya, I simply turn around and will not entertain this bullshit.

It's plain racists act of stupidity and their slowly killing their own tourist industry..

Sai keaw beach is that?
Yeah, that's the one. Me and my Thai lady went there 3 weeks ago and the Thai price is 50 baht and Farang is 100 baht. It's not about the money to me, it's about the concept..... I will not entertain this bullshit and neither did a crowd of German tourist that was behind us in line. Actually they were quite pissed off and told the official to stick their beach up their ass and that they would NOT visit Thailand again.

I think its often down to interpretation of rules and how much some people seem to think they can get away with, I have always paid the Thai price for National Parks, Thai DL seemed to do the job, but if they turned funny I would be prepared to walk away rather than be ripped off.

I can remember going to Global once and when I wanted to pay by foreign debit card they suddenly wanted to charge a 30bt surcharge, I presented the shopping to trolly to the employee in front of me and left. The scheme seemed to have been dropped sharpishly as there was no problems next time.

Always be prepared for the unexpected here.

I was in our local Global about a month ago and the cashier told me they would have to charge me 3% for using a foreign credit card. I'd never noticed them doing it before and thought it must be a mistake. I was in the builders' merchant area and after that I went into the regular area to buy some other stuff. When I came to pay there, with the same card, there was no mention of there being a 3% surcharge.

When I got out of the store I compared both bills and they both had a 3% surcharge, the only difference being one cashier told me about the charge and the other didn't.

I think the OP was right, if everyone paid over the odds for things when it is obvious they are getting ripped off, it would leave the door open for every business to overcharge.

Sai keaw beach is that?
Yeah, that's the one. Me and my Thai lady went there 3 weeks ago and the Thai price is 50 baht and Farang is 100 baht. It's not about the money to me, it's about the concept..... I will not entertain this bullshit and neither did a crowd of German tourist that was behind us in line. Actually they were quite pissed off and told the official to stick their beach up their ass and that they would NOT visit Thailand again.

Yeah mate fair doos.

I'm not defending it here but the money will more than likely be for the shower facilities they have there and changing rooms.

It's s nice beach but not much nicer than Bang Saray, which is free.

I went in on the north entrance yesterday. The normal ticket booth was closed and the rangers were doing the tickets. Thai people free, farang 400. I paid it, we went in and had a great time. Shitty? Yes. Not right? Yes. What can you do? Not a damn thing.

Everyone should do what the OP did.

I strongly dislike the double pricing myself and will not go to places that charge foreigners more.

But, what strikes me as odd about your post is that you and your GF are both foreigners, yet you would be willing to cheat and pay the Thai price for her since she looks Asian, and you think since you have been here a long time you should pay the price for nationals as well.

I detect a lack of integrity on both sides of the coin here.

Wrong, if people are cheating you, then you cheat them back, the same applies everywhere.

Drove thru sam roi yot national park the other day and notice there is now no one there trying to get an entrance fee, its all gone so it was free..................went to Hua Hin Immigration yesterday and the small shop there wanted 25 baht for a can of coke usually 12 baht

Same if you go to Kanchanburi, in the area around the bridge, it will cost you over 20 Bt for a can of orange instead of 14 Bt.

Why are there not any 7-11s or any other convenience stores there? Go figure.

facepalm.giffacepalm.gif

If they start charging me 10 X the price of a Thai, I will probably take a massive dump on the floor of their toilets, make em work for it! Greedy fools. Applying Western logic in this place can never apply, the way we Westerners (or at least me) used to look at it was, "Jesus are these people for real? They are going to kill the goose that laid the golden egg type of thing, they are hammering their income by overcharging scamming robbing the people that come here and spend money.

My personal opinion is that those in charge don't give a flying F$$K whether they lose income from foreigners in the least, they in many cases hate us and are embarrassed that they are not on the same social level as Western countries.

And given the current political situation, when they kick out all of the foreigners, they would be pretty happy to just behave like the Khmer Rouge, all of the peasants in their minds would be sent for re education or death camps. The problem as far as I see it is that they cannot quite balance the cash, they need international help, but as soon as they became truly independent or able to break away, this place would make North Korea look like Butlins!

They probably get that a lot......

Do Chinese go to these National Parks and pay 400 baht?

facepalm.gif

Geez, here we go again ...

... Sometimes you just have to accept life as it is…

Fine, you can accept differential pricing all you want.

I don't accept it.

Maybe it's because of a slanted audience here, but I get the impression that the subject of differential pricing won't go away now as more & more people - both those living in Thailand and bona fide tourists - appear unwilling to accept the practice any longer.

I hope there's a lot more adverse publicity for this thievery in the tourists' countries of origin.

Wow - what a hateful person you are.... "in many cases hate us and are embarrassed that they are not on the same social level as Western countries." Are you sure you know and understand Thai people??

With the way you feel, I think everybody will be happy to see you pack and leave

Speak for yourself, there is no room for cheats anywhere, and it's not just in Thailand.

Must admit I hate paying the farang prices but we drove out to the big angkor wat in burriam from Sakon Nakhon so had little choice. I was fuming for about 30 mins. That was with my Thai DL aswell.

There is another, uncontrolled entrance. You drove past it on your way up.

Archived